[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Guyver live-action movies • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Guyver live-action movies

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Guyver live-action movies

Postby Dai » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:49 pm

The two American made Guyver movies from the early 90s have been re-released. Disappointingly, the US releases are DVD only, and part of the manufactured-by-demand Warner Archive line, but it's better than nothing.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ue/.107010

If you haven't seen these movies, don't let the misleading cover of the first one fool you. Mark Hamill is in it, but he doesn't play The Guyver; he's instead in a supporting role. Neither movie is brilliant, but the second is definitely much better than the first. Point of interest: in the second movie, Dark Hero, The Guyver is played by David Hayter, better known as the voice of Solid Snake.

Somewhat better news is that the first movie is getting a blu-ray release in the UK in December. I stumbled across this while checking if the old DVDs were still available over here. No sign of a corresponding release for the second one unfortunately.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guyver-Blu-ray ... rds=guyver

People in the UK may remember this movie under the title Mutronics: The Movie, as the name was changed for its original VHS release.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Guyver live-action movies

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:26 pm

looks like the UK got a blu ray release of the first film a while back...But the DVD for the first film in the US is still easily obtainable, the 2nd film is a little pricey. I'd get both in a Blu-ray set if made available, otherwise Ill pass on this.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Yeah. At this point in time there's no reason NOT to bundle G1 & G2 as a hi-def package. I don't give 2 sh!ts about the first film, but I'd love to have the sequel in a nice high definition transfer. It's a terrific little B-movie, with excellent creature suits & F/X, good fights, decent early CGI bits and OK acting - for what it is. Even if you're not a Japanese magna/Guyver fan or whatnot. It's just silly popcorn fun that entertains and doesn't take it self too seriously, but without resorting to self-mockery, like the first film does. UGH.

It's a damn shame that Shout!Factory didn't license these for their Scream branch. Maybe someday?
Jinzo Ningen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:50 pm

^That would be nice. I was fortunate enough to get the "Zeiram Duology" that MB released a while ago. I was actually pretty cool as up until that point I didn't even know an English Dub of Z2 existed.

I remember seeing an article in Markalite for the first Guyver film, and renting the VHS when it was first available, it was awful. My friends and I were totally in shock when we first saw Guyver: Dark Hero at SDCC in 94 or 95 (cant remember which)...but we were amazed at how cool it looked, and it was in English! (we figured any Guyver sequel would be in Japanese because of how bad the first film was). It was great to have because it would be several years before that sequel was ever offered officially in the US
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dai » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Probably the most impressive aspect of Dark Hero is just how dynamic the fight scenes are, despite the apparent bulkiness of the Guyver suits.

It's a shame that The Guyver has yet to receive a definitive adaptation. The OAV series has exciting (albeit low budget) action scenes and some memorable transformation sequences in its first half, but the animation quality and draughtsmanship take a nose-dive in the second half. And its English dub has to be heard to be believed. The TV anime is more faithful to the plot of the manga, but lacks the directorial flair of the OAVs, and despite more consistently on-model artwork the production values aren't much better.

Since the end of the manga has never been animated, I recently checked to see if it had ever been translated. To my surprise, there is no ending. The manga has been running almost constantly since 1985, and is still going!
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Yup. I have all the variants of the Guyver in Anime Form. "Out of Control", the 12 part OAV series, and the 26 episode anime. Its hard to believe that last entry is over a decade old now, seems like it just came out. Still as it just covers volumes 1-10 of the Manga, I keep holding out hope someday there will be a 2nd series that covers additional chapters, perhaps up to the first appearance of Guyver in his Gigantic Exceed form and defeats the Zoaloard Cabral Khan (Draglord) I think this occurred in Vol 25.

There was a fan group that translated up to around Volume 27 or 28 (I think???) I really do wish Viz would go back and re-release all the manga volumes in English. I believe Viz release of The Ultraman shows they have come a long way in translating Manga, the first 7 Guyver Volumes they did back in the 90's were pretty "off the cuff", I'd like them to start fresh, and get us the entire series, I think we could get caught up in a relatively short time, though its been going on for 30+ years. (32 volumes)
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases