[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Classic Media's Godzilla Collection Boxset • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Classic Media's Godzilla Collection Boxset

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Classic Media's Godzilla Collection Boxset

Postby Gojira69 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:40 am

I know this is old news but even though it's been out since 2007, I still find the Classic Media Godzilla Collection boxset a joy... We were so fortunate to have 7 of the Showa-era Godzilla films getting the ultimate treatment! (Even though "Gojira" was to later be superseded by a Criterion edition)

I understand it's been rereleased. How many times? Looks like it's OOP too.
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Re: Classic Media's Godzilla Collection Boxset

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:51 am

I love the presentation of the discs. The menus, the features, etc are all great. But the actual audio and video of the movies themselves might actually be the worst among the most current editions of the various films.
The Criterion release of Gojira, the Kraken blu rays of the Showa films, the Sony blu-rays of the Heisei and Millennium films, the Sony DVDs of Son of G and Mechagodzilla 74, and the Media Blasters releases of Destroy All Monsters and Megalon are all better when it comes to the actual films.

I love everything else about this set though.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:47 am

I believe it was only released 2 times. I may be wrong however. I love the first set, with all the individual films in those nice book-like cases, and original poster art. The 2nd set with just the 2 standard DVD cases is not nearly as impressive. I just saw this at Frys recently, they are still out there.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:25 am

It's definitely one of my most cherished items. I live in the south and if there's ever another Katrina-level storm and we have to evacuate it's definitely going to be one of the first things I grab up, along with Criterion's Godzilla. I don't know what that says about me.

I'm still crossing my fingers for a Showa Godzilla set from Criterion, especially after they released the Zatoichi and Long Wolf & Cub films. I would absolutely lose my mind.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:36 am

Heck I'd even settle for a set from Eclipse- It may be the only way we get GRA, MvD, GTTHM, GvMZ ,GR ,& TOMG on Blu Ray.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:42 am

After the fandom threw a fit over the Gojira packaging, it left a really sour taste in Criterion's mouth. All the work that was put into the set and they got loaded with complaints about the artwork. I don't think they'll ever get involved with Godzilla stuff again.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:21 am

Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:41 pm

If, and that's a mighty big "if", Criterion goes in for more Godzilla movies, keeping the list very short besides Mothra vs Godzilla I'd like to see King Kong vs Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla.

A Criterion release of KKvG might be the only way we'll ever see Toho's restoration of their original cut outside of Japan. I'm not sure what Universal might have in their archive storage, if anything exists I'd like to think Criterion could uncover extant elements to use for a restoration of Universal's cut and even improve on Toho's restoration of the original cut.

Looks like I really need to jump in and snag a copy of Classic Media's Godzilla Collection. I waited on the initial nice boxed release and missed out on it, and I've hoped over the last few years that CM would roll out blu-ray releases of the movies. Perhaps with the DVD collection apparently going OOP Classic Media is finally going to release the movies on blu-ray, especially when Warner Brothers has a full slate of movies in their Godzilla universe and now Toho appearing to have multiple movies lined up too.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:54 pm

I'd also like to throw Ghidrah, Mothra, and Rodan out there as being worthy of the Criterion treatment.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:43 am

So I watched ToMG and MZ the other night and noticed that the special features said the original Japanese trailers but it wasn't on either disc. I do have the first issue that came in the nice boxset was that a misprint or what?
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:27 pm

The first pressings of All Monsters Attack and Terror of Mechagodzilla were missing their trailers, but that was eventually corrected. This is the first time I've heard that MZ/Astro-Monster is affected too.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:12 pm

Upon rechecking my Monster Zero disc, I see that the "Original Japanese Trailer" (Champion Matsuri trailer) is only accessible on the menu for the Japanese version, not the US version. Your copy might be the same way, Tom. I also got the box set not long after it was first released.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:30 am

I just checked, it was under the Japanese special features on MZ. I must have been on the English version when I initially checked. So it's just AMA and ToMG that are missing the trailers in the first pressing?
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases