RUMOR: Godzilla 1985 Ultimate Edition

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

RUMOR: Godzilla 1985 Ultimate Edition

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:25 pm

http://www.godzilla1985.com/blu-ray/

Supposedly, Godzilla 1985, Japanese and International Dubbed version of The Return of Godzilla are to be included, assuming all of this is true.

Is there any truth behind this?

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Re: RUMOR: Godzilla 1985 Ultimate Edition

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:41 pm

I hope it's legit. I will admit that pic of the bluray sitting on the desk got me all excited.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Looks a bit fishy. What company is supposed to be behind it?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:48 pm

lhb412 wrote:Looks a bit fishy. What company is supposed to be behind it?

"Outlaw Productions" - a name that really inspires trust, don't you think? I mean, at least a couple companies call themselves by that name, but something about it in relation to this Blu-Ray raises my suspicions.

I'm willing to bet this is a troll or a bootleg. We'll see, though.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this: my love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger! Go! Go! Go!" - Domon Kasshu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:57 pm

^I mean, there are boutique labels popping up all the time, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility - but I'll certainly need much more convincing.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:50 pm

Reposting my quick investigation findings that I put on reddit.

Alright. Went to The Story page. And the webmaster is Riggan Rose. Got a youtube account, Google+ account (seriously?), and, here's the juicy bit, a CreativeCow.net Account.

Why is it juicy? Read this. Looks like he's editing together two different film sources into one.

I'm calling it here and now; Not Legit. Might end up being a great boot, but it's still a boot.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:51 am

My first tip was that the original Twitter post was posted by "Godzilla 1985." Pretty sure the movie itself doesn't have a legitimate Twitter account.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:33 am

DISC 1

Godzilla 1985

Full-length film, frame-by-frame re-creation in HD
Features audio track from original New World release (enhanced)

Sounds like a fan edit to me.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:53 am

Well, if this does turn out to be a boot, it has pretty much everything a fan would want. I have a regular DVD version, and a digital file I made from copying my own New World VHS. I've never seen a really clean copy of the English dub of Return of Godzilla (most boots are from an old UK PAL VHS). I'd love to see clean copies of all of them. Especially since I never got to see Godzilla 1985 on Monsters HD.

*hopefully* in either case it will inspire Toho to sort out whatever eternal ban issues are keeping this film from getting a North American release and finally make it happen.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby GaryT » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:27 pm

O.Supreme wrote:*hopefully* in either case it will inspire Toho to sort out whatever eternal ban issues are keeping this film from getting a North American release and finally make it happen.

More likely to inspire them to file a C & D against "Outlaw Productions", and maybe to think "Gee, this has damaged the potential market for a release in the U.S."
GaryT
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Why in the world would they put three different cuts of the movie on the first disc and leave the entire second disc to just the special features?

This is definitely a fan-made bootleg, in case anyone is still wondering.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:This is definitely a fan-made bootleg, in case anyone is still wondering.
Definitely is. August himself said that Anchor Bay still has the rights and Toho is prohibiting a release. They are awaiting the rights to return to them, which won't happen for at least another 2 years.
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:57 am

Destroysall wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:This is definitely a fan-made bootleg, in case anyone is still wondering.
Definitely is. August himself said that Anchor Bay still has the rights and Toho is prohibiting a release. They are awaiting the rights to return to them, which won't happen for at least another 2 years.

I just made a fart noise with my mouth when I read that.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:47 am

Destroysall wrote:

DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:17 am

Yeah, it seems like it is just a bootleg. They are also coming across as very unprofessional with the way they are responding to people. Banning them when they ask questions and what not.

Looks like I might have to make a video warning people not to be suckered into their product.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:41 am

Yes, it is a bootleg. (you all were right). I'm not surprised, just giving credit where credit is due. A Pirate with the best of intentions is still a Pirate

We are a FAN PROJECT.

Hello, G fans. Allow us to introduce ourselves. We are Team ’85; a small group of avid Godzilla fans who took on ProjectG earlier last year. Our mission: bring Godzilla 1985 home to HD.

In light of recent developments we felt the need to speak out and clear up a few misconceptions. First and foremost, this is not a joke. We aren’t here to troll the Godzilla fanbase and mess with people’s feelings. We’re fans, just like you. The purpose behind our Twitter campaign is simply to get the word out to the Godzilla community that our project is nearing completion and will soon be available. It was never our intention to deceive anyone or assert a false notion that a real distributor was releasing Godzilla 1985. That was fabricated by other parties with their own agendas. We’ve never claimed to be anything more than what we are — fans.

Individuals on social media who are currently beating their chests and claiming they discovered we’re a “fraud” are not only incorrect, they’re completely missing the point. Riggan, the site master and Twitter admin, has done what we’ve asked him to do which is simply spread the word. We asked him to play it neutral and focus solely on the product. Certain things are worded particular ways for a reason, as you might imagine. Elusive innuendo can go a long way if not properly leashed, and that’s where our mistake was made. We honestly thought the fans would get it and no explanation would be necessary. We were wrong, and for that, we apologize. Please forgive us for not stating up front we’re a fan project, but also let the record show we never claimed to be anything else. Our goal from the get-go has been to deliver this film to fans who quite frankly are sick of waiting for the powers that be to get their "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" together. The G Community deserves better.

I think many fans are "sick of waiting" and have acquired the film in some way or another. Like I said, I just made a digital copy of my legally owned NW VHS of G1985 for myself, and obtained the Japanese version of RoG, and English dub of RoG, by other means. Someone being so public and so brazen about it however is interesting. I will follow the story however, simply to see Toho's reaction, and how long it will take.

Yes we "the fans" may deserve better, but stealing isn't the answer.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:34 pm

So apparently they got a C&D letter from a Toho lawyer and deleted the comment and told him to F off.

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Castellan Zilla » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Wait...they told the Toho Lawyer to F off?

Was this on Twitter? Facebook?
サイバーエレキング
Castellan Zilla
Baby Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Castellan Zilla wrote:Wait...they told the Toho Lawyer to F off?

Was this on Twitter? Facebook?

I have no idea. One of the guys on Facebook Monsterland posted about it and then the dudes at the 85 site removed the entire letter and stuff.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:10 pm

In case anybody missed it....here's a copy of what a C and D letter from Toho looks like.

To the Operators of This Website and the Producers of the “Godzilla 1985” Project:

I am an attorney representing Toho Co., Ltd. As you likely already know, Toho owns all of the copyrights in the Godzilla character and each of the Godzilla films, including The Return of Godzilla, aka Godzilla 1985 (the “Film”). I understand that you are producing and promoting the release of a DVD/Bluray disc containing a “frame-by frame re-creation” of the Film. I also understand that you are planning for the DVD to include other copyrighted Toho property, including the original Japanese version of the Film.

This activity infringes Toho’s exclusive right to reproduce, adapt, distribute and otherwise exploit the Film. The fact that you claim that this is a “fan project” does not excuse the infringement. By proceeding without Toho’s permission, you are negatively impacting Toho’s ability to decide the manner and timing of the Film’s exploitation, and are interfering with Toho’s ability to officially license a re-release of the Film.

Your conduct is also likely to cause consumers to believe that your activities have been authorized by Toho. Indeed, even sophisticated fans of the Godzilla series already have been confused into thinking this is an officially authorized release.
Toho takes its intellectual property rights very seriously and does not hesitate to take all appropriate action when those rights are violated. We therefore must demand that you immediately stop your infringing conduct. While Toho certainly does not want to bring litigation over this matter, especially against a fan, if you do not stop your project, take down your website and confirm that you will not distribute or otherwise exploit the Film, Toho will unfortunately have no other choice.
Please get back to me promptly, and in no event later than January 20, 2016 to confirm that you will comply with these requests. I can be reached at amoss@ggfirm.com.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Sincerely,
Aaron J. Moss
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:54 pm

Wow. Where was that posted?
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Now that this group has Toho's attention, I wonder if the executives at Toho are also paying attention to the public's response to this groups proprosed release of the movie? It would be nice if Toho is spurred to get Godzilla Returns/1985 released to home video again in North America.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:06 pm

In my line of business you can never be too cautious. Even frauds can be taken advantage of by other frauds claiming to be legal entities. That being sad however, Mr. Moss appears to be the real deal.

http://www.primerus.com/attorneys/aaron ... nia-ca.htm

It's kind of nice to have a contact however. Heh.... who wants to give this guy a call, just to simply ask, what would it take for Toho to finally, legitimately release this film in North America. He probably has no idea, and would not know where to direct such a question, but hey you never know :wink:
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby JordanGLC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:29 am

Are we the "sophisticated fans of the Godzilla series" of which he speaks? 8)
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby The Great MM » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:38 am

Dr Kain wrote:So apparently they got a C&D letter from a Toho lawyer and deleted the comment and told him to F off.

I love when stuff like this happens. Between this and leaked image shenanigans, I've been getting a WHOLE BUNCH of 100% pure entertainment lately.
The Great MM
Godzilla

Next

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases