KING KONG VS. GODZILLA and KING KONG ESCAPES on BD April 1

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: KING KONG VS. GODZILLA and KING KONG ESCAPES on BD April

Postby Pkmatrix » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:23 am

Dr Kain wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:Uh...what? That's absolute non-sense. Have you never read any Shakespeare? :|

So I'm supposed to have memorized every line from every Shakespear play I have read?

No, but this is one of a handful people are generally expected to know. It's probably the #2 or #3 most famous line the Bard ever wrote. :p

Dr Kain wrote:Yes, I have read Macbeth, Romeo and Boringuet, A Mid Summer Night's Dream, Hamlet, and several others, but I don't remember every line to them all, especially if they aren't Macbeth (which is my favorite).

Oh no, you read the bastardized High School version, didn't you? The one that had all the vulgarity and sex jokes cut out? It should be a felony to force kids to read that trash, it creates the entirely wrong impression of Shakespeare's writing and work. :(

jellydonut25 wrote:
klen7 wrote:i think understanding the concept behind the line is more important than remembering who wrote it.

Yeah, it's certainly not a God thing....it's a "The world is full of wonders and mystery" thing.

Exactly! If you're offended by just using the word "Heaven" (which is also just a flowery way to say "Outside the Earth" or "Outer Space"), then I think you may need to develop some thicker skin considering how often it's used every-frickin'-where (including in this series). :wink:
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:04 am

ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Henry88 wrote:King Kong vs. Godzilla (Blu-ray)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/63624/ki ... -godzilla/

King Kong Escapes (Blu-ray)
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/63625/king-kong-escapes/

It's a shame these Americanized versions are getting a better wrap than what we've heard so far from the Sony Blurays. I'm not a fan of the Americanized King Kong vs. Godzilla, but this almost makes me want to pick it up. Perhaps one day.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby John Schuermann » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:29 pm

canofhumdingers wrote:Since it doesn't look like that question was actually answered, yes the "shimmying" is gate weave. It's literally the film shifting around in the telecine gate as it was being captured because the sprocket holes are not perfectly uniform. But it is more pronounced in things like the titles because those are an optical composite and require at least one extra duplication. Every time you duplicate film you introduce additional gate weave because the piece of film you're duping wobbles around in its gate and the piece of film you're duping it onto also wobbles. This used to be something that was just part of film and nothing could be done about it. Now you can digitally steady this so that it is rock solid, but it looks surprisingly UNnatural if all gate weave is completely eliminated. But when it comes to things like optically created titles, even if you completely stabilize the background, you'll noticed that the words themselves still wobble because it's an optical composite and there were multiple layers of film photographed on top of each other. Likewise, if you stabilized the text, the background would jump all over the place. There's really nothing you can do to completely eliminated gate weave from older films as it's an inherent byproduct of making film. There are things that can be done to reduce it though and unfortunately it sounds like maybe the transfer they did for the DVD was a bit more stable than this new bluray transfer.

I don't have the disc yet (it's on it's way) but for me personally, I don't mind gate weave. As I said, films look really weird and unnatural without it b/c it's been inherent in film since the inception of motion pictures. Fils without ANY gate weave tend to look "dead". While I don't love excessive gate weave, it doesn't bother me too much, especially in older films where it's more expected.

I agree with almost all of what you posted here :) Joseph Goodman pointed out the gate weave issue several pages back, but didn't take the time to explain it like you did here. Good explanation.

You are right about optical composites being more susceptible, but ironically the DVD is rock solid during the composited credits.
John Schuermann
Filmmaker
Check out my new movie!
http://www.stephensonmovie.com
Owner, Lead Composer / Sound Designer
http://www.jsmusicandsound.com
John Schuermann
Godzilla Jr.

Postby John Schuermann » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:36 pm

GaryT wrote:
John Schuermann wrote:What I did notice, though, is that the Blu-ray utilizes a print in considerably better shape than the DVD. Sharpness, color and overall condition of the print are MUCH better on the Blu-ray. Just check the beginnings of chapters 12 and 13. Notice all of the scratches and blotches on the DVD. They are absent on the Blu-ray. Detail on the Blu-ray is almost night and day better as well. Of course, the detail improvement may not nearly be as noticeable on a smaller screen. On my setup, though, the DVD looks downright blurry compared to the Blu. It's just too bad that the Blu-ray exhibits this issue :(

They just performed more digital cleanup on the new transfer, that's all; the source element was probably exactly the same. Shaprness and color differences are due to the HD resolution.

It's possible you are correct, but I severely doubt it. Digital clean-up is an expensive and time-intensive process, especially to do the level of difference you can see in the chapters I pointed out. I can't imagine that Universal would put a film like KK vs. G through that much work. Plus the print itself just looks different - color balances, contrast, etc, plus the gate weave issue Jelly is so disturbed by. It would be amazing that they went through so much time trouble and expense to clean up all of the dust and scratch issues, but not fix the gate weave.

Of course sharpness is a result of the HD resolution, but color differences really don't have much to do with HD. Yes, HD has a different color space, but that is why I put the DVD into a separate player so it would be decoded correctly in REC601. Of course, color time can be changed during mastering, but again, it seems much more likely that this is a different print.
John Schuermann
Filmmaker
Check out my new movie!
http://www.stephensonmovie.com
Owner, Lead Composer / Sound Designer
http://www.jsmusicandsound.com
John Schuermann
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Pkmatrix wrote:[Oh no, you read the bastardized High School version, didn't you? The one that had all the vulgarity and sex jokes cut out? It should be a felony to force kids to read that trash, it creates the entirely wrong impression of Shakespeare's writing and work. :(

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, no, I was in high school before they started editing everything to hell in 2001. My books still had the n word in Huckleberry Fin.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Gman2887 wrote:It's a shame these Americanized versions are getting a better wrap than what we've heard so far from the Sony Blurays. I'm not a fan of the Americanized King Kong vs. Godzilla, but this almost makes me want to pick it up. Perhaps one day.

Sorry dude, but I have to disagree. These don't include the Jp versions, which makes them already inferior to SOny's BDs.

BTW, I have no idea why my personal life choices have to do with anything I do or say on the internet so please leave my personal life out of here.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:38 pm

I edited Gman's post. It's one thing to call out Kain, it's another thing to question his efficacy at his job or in his personal life. That's not okay. No personal attacks guys, you know better.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Henry88 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm

ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous