KING KONG VS. GODZILLA and KING KONG ESCAPES on BD April 1

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: KING KONG VS. GODZILLA and KING KONG ESCAPES on BD April

Postby TylerPreston20 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:47 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
kpa wrote:A
And, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I also have an update about the German DVD release of KING KONG VS GODZILLA. Tyler recently shared some information he said he got from Ingo Strecer, who worked on supplemental materials for the Anolis steelbook edition of the film. As proof that he had been in touch with Mr Strecer, Tyler posted the following screenshot of his email account…

TylerPreston20 wrote:Image

Tyler posted the same on the blu-ray.com forums, but one of the other members there pointed out the Ingo’s last name is actually spelled ‘Strecker’ with a ‘k’, which raised red flags that this was another 'John/Jon Mulvaney' incident.

Through friends in the German Godzilla fan community, I was recently able to contact Ingo Strecker and ask about this. Today he wrote me that he has not corresponded with Tyler and did not write the email in the above screenshot.

Lulz. Either Ben Wagner is playing him like a fiddle again or he's just making more crap up... Tyler is either horribly gullible or a gigantic troll. Either way, I wish he'd stop bringing that kind of nonsense into the threads here and derailing them into obnoxiousness.

All I will say is that both of you don't have the copy of the email, only I do since I didn't share the email itself. Additionally, both of you can't say I haven't talked to him since again, you haven't seen said email and he's probably saying that because again, he doesn't wants to be associated with this. Just because I may have mispelled his name doesn't mean I didn't talk to him at all.
Check out my Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O/about
TylerPreston20
Little Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:13 pm

TylerPreston20 wrote:All I will say is that both of you don't have the copy of the email, only I do since I didn't share the email itself. Additionally, both of you can't say I haven't talked to him since again, you haven't seen said email and he's probably saying that because again, he doesn't wants to be associated with this. Just because I may have mispelled his name doesn't mean I didn't talk to him at all.

Tyler, it's really simple. You corresponded with someone who pretended to be Ingo Strecker. That person lied to you. That person deliberately fed you misinformation, such as his claim that he was the real Ingo Strecker and also his claim that the German King Kong vs. Godzilla release involved licensing the rights to different versions of the same movie from different companies. Those were both lies which that person told you in the email, and you believed them, and ever since then you've been spouting this false information left and right and showing everyone that you really don't know what you're talking about.

Come on, don't you get it? Just get it. If you can believe misinformation so readily when it's presented to you, why can't you figure out actual truth when it's staring you in the face? The person who emailed you is playing you, dude, and you're making it all too easy for him.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:Tyler, it's really simple. You corresponded with someone who pretended to be Ingo Strecker. That person lied to you. That person deliberately fed you misinformation, such as his claim that he was the real Ingo Strecker and also his claim that the German King Kong vs. Godzilla release involved licensing the rights to different versions of the same movie from different companies. Those were both lies which that person told you in the email, and you believed them, and ever since then you've been spouting this false information left and right and showing everyone that you really don't know what you're talking about.

Come on, don't you get it? Just get it. If you can believe misinformation so readily when it's presented to you, why can't you figure out actual truth when it's staring you in the face? The person who emailed you is playing you, dude, and you're making it all too easy for him.

Nah, he's been duped for a long time, on several occasions, and dosen't get it, or is a troll.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:37 am

Tyler, Keith contacted Mr. Strecker and CONFIRMED that you have not contacted him. He's not even accusing you of lying, just being misled.

You're either being duped by somebody pretending to be Strecker or trolling people here because you have some kind of grudge. I doubt you're trolling, because you have contributed to actual discussion in the recent past, but in EITHER case, let's just move on.

This next goes for EVERYONE: Discuss these RELEASES or don't discuss. If you believe you're being unfairly picked on, trolled, lied to or what have you, contact a moderator.

If you don't want to contact a specific moderator like me, or MFW, or Keith, because you feel we've been too involved with this discussion in the past and have some bias, then go to the memberlist and sort by rank. Anybody listed as a Controller is a mod, and anybody listed as Monster 01 is an admin.

I wish I could have just come in here and said, "Move on" because the actual content here is less filled with vitriol than some discussions warranting moderator intervention in the past have been, but really, this isn't the first time a mod has attempted to politely say, "Move along." Excuse me if I'm coming off like a dick at all, but it's growing tiring, and there have been complaints.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm

So Toho just revealed they are bringing the remaining Godzilla movies to BD. As such, I might just pick up their version of KKvsG instead.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 pm

If only Toho offered English subtitles on their blurays then I'd consider picking a few of them up.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 am

KaiserGhidorah wrote:If only Toho offered English subtitles on their blurays then I'd consider picking a few of them up.

this
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby briizilla » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:01 am

KaiserGhidorah wrote:If only Toho offered English subtitles on their blurays then I'd consider picking a few of them up.

All of them
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:21 am

briizilla wrote:

All of them

eh....

I probably would still get the US release of any film that has it, considering the price. Mostly I'd just be going in for the Japanese version of KKvsG, Godzilla 1985, and the Japanese version of G2K.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby briizilla » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 am

I've got a crazy plan to transfer all the classic dubs from my VHS collection to DVD this summer. Then I can put the discs in with my Blu rays as my own person bonus material.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 am

briizilla wrote:I've got a crazy plan to transfer all the classic dubs from my VHS collection to DVD this summer. Then I can put the discs in with my Blu rays as my own person bonus material.

I've got VHS rips of Son of and Sea Monster....my next step is actually gonna be to rip the audio from those and overlay it onto a rip of the Sony DVD transfers and have a solid-looking, kinda crappy-sounding (but at least the dub I love) version.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby briizilla » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
briizilla wrote:I've got a crazy plan to transfer all the classic dubs from my VHS collection to DVD this summer. Then I can put the discs in with my Blu rays as my own person bonus material.

I've got VHS rips of Son of and Sea Monster....my next step is actually gonna be to rip the audio from those and overlay it onto a rip of the Sony DVD transfers and have a solid-looking, kinda crappy-sounding (but at least the dub I love) version.

That's awesome. I wish I was tech savvy.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 am

double post
Last edited by briizilla on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 am

briizilla wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

well....it's been my next step for a few years now...so who knows when/if I'll ever do it?
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Xenorama » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:16 pm

jelly, Bri... we should talk about AIP dubs in their proper aspect ratio... :)
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby briizilla » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Xenorama wrote:jelly, Bri... we should talk about AIP dubs in their proper aspect ratio... :)

See to me the dub is a nostalgia thing so if the video is pan and scan that wouldn't bother me, because that matches how I grew up watching those dubbed versions. To me if I really want to sit and watch them the way they were intended then I'll watch them subbed. But if I'm putzing around my house or cooking dinner I want those old dubs because I'm going to listen to the movie more than watch it. If that makes sense....
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby John Schuermann » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:53 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
briizilla wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:I've got VHS rips of Son of and Sea Monster....my next step is actually gonna be to rip the audio from those and overlay it onto a rip of the Sony DVD transfers and have a solid-looking, kinda crappy-sounding (but at least the dub I love) version.

well....it's been my next step for a few years now...so who knows when/if I'll ever do it?

There are some challenges, but getting the video and audio streams into a basic Non Linear Editing program (such as Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, or Final Cut Pro) is not all that hard. There are plenty of freeware rippers and such to extract the elementary video and audio streams, and from there it is a matter of making sure the audio and video match up. The problem is that sometimes the films were time compressed on TV and the audio will drift out of sync for that reason. Even audio pulled directly from a film print came suffer from sync issues. However, sometimes you luck out and everything just works.

Years ago I created a version of DAM that I put together from the original AVD DVD video stream and an old VHS copy I recorded off of TV. The audio ran slightly faster than the video so I had to compensate every few minutes by pulling some "tone" from between lines of dialogue or FX and paste them in to make up for the time differential. Not hard, but time consuming. I also did a pro noise reduction pass on the AIP audio and crossfaded to the original, superior Japanese audio stream during non-dialogue sequences so it would sound as good as possible.

Just like you, "one of these days" I'm going to replace the Media Blasters DAM AIP dub audio with my mix, this time using even better elements than I had previously. I also want to pull the German "Ghidrah" video and re-edit to match the American dub. Now THAT should be fun. When I re-compress I can also compensate for the elevated black levels on the Japanese transfers.
John Schuermann
Filmmaker
Check out my new movie!
http://www.stephensonmovie.com
Owner, Lead Composer / Sound Designer
http://www.jsmusicandsound.com
John Schuermann
Godzilla Jr.

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 pm

Already did that last year with pretty much every Toho Sci-Fi film that dosen't have an R1 DVD

jellydonut25 wrote:my next step is actually gonna be to rip the audio from those and overlay it onto a rip of the Sony DVD transfers and have a solid-looking, kinda crappy-sounding (but at least the dub I love) version.

wish I could do that :(
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:36 pm

If this were the case, I'd purchase their entire Toho Godzilla library. :wink:
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:47 pm

John Schuermann wrote:There are some challenges, but getting the video and audio streams into a basic Non Linear Editing program (such as Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, or Final Cut Pro) is not all that hard. There are plenty of freeware rippers and such to extract the elementary video and audio streams, and from there it is a matter of making sure the audio and video match up. The problem is that sometimes the films were time compressed on TV and the audio will drift out of sync for that reason. Even audio pulled directly from a film print came suffer from sync issues. However, sometimes you luck out and everything just works.

Years ago I created a version of DAM that I put together from the original AVD DVD video stream and an old VHS copy I recorded off of TV. The audio ran slightly faster than the video so I had to compensate every few minutes by pulling some "tone" from between lines of dialogue or FX and paste them in to make up for the time differential. Not hard, but time consuming. I also did a pro noise reduction pass on the AIP audio and crossfaded to the original, superior Japanese audio stream during non-dialogue sequences so it would sound as good as possible.

Just like you, "one of these days" I'm going to replace the Media Blasters DAM AIP dub audio with my mix, this time using even better elements than I had previously. I also want to pull the German "Ghidrah" video and re-edit to match the American dub. Now THAT should be fun. When I re-compress I can also compensate for the elevated black levels on the Japanese transfers.

Now this is how tech savvy I wish I was.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby william newell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Xenorama wrote:jelly, Bri... we should talk about AIP dubs in their proper aspect ratio... :)

So let's talk about "Smog Monster". :mrgreen:
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kpa » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:29 pm

SciFi Japan has an exclusive first look, fresh from USHE’s art department, at the wraparound packaging artwork for the KING KONG VS GODZILLA and KING KONG ESCAPES Blu-rays. Enjoy!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014 ... cover-art/
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:01 am

I love the art for these. Might even be my favorite western art for a Godzilla dvd/blu ray cover to date.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17 pm

It's basically the exact same, identical DVD cover art from a few years with just "Blu-Ray" slapped on it...pretty ho-hum.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:11 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:It's basically the exact same, identical DVD cover art from a few years with just "Blu-Ray" slapped on it...pretty ho-hum.

Yes, it's the same...but it's still to this day one of the better original pieces of work to be used for a kaiju home video cover...

especially stacked up against the nonsense Sony has trotted out over the years.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases