Blu Ray Wish Lists

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Blu Ray Wish Lists

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:58 pm

So folks....I'm a devout fan of the Blu Ray format when it's done properly. What films do you guys want to see get Blu Ray releases?

Of course, any kaiju related film is a must.

But besides that, off the top of my head..

Jaws
E.T
Dragonslayer
They Live
Re-animator
From Beyond
The Creature from the Black Lagoon Trilogy
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Jaws & E.T. are both in the works & it sounds like they'll be done really well, especially considering the things Speilberg has said in recent months about digitally altering old films. In fact, if you go by what Speilberg said at a screening of the film a few months ago, the E.T. blu won't even have the special edition, just the original Theatrical cut. Personally, I kind of feel like that might be going a little too far. I mean, it's already out there. I don't see the harm in including both cuts (like the original dvd release did) so long as the original cut is properly preserved & presented. But if he's only going to give us one version, at least he's choosing the right one, unlike his pal Lucas...
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Re: Blu Ray Wish Lists

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:11 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:So folks....I'm a devout fan of the Blu Ray format when it's done properly. What films do you guys want to see get Blu Ray releases?

Of course, any kaiju related film is a must.

But besides that, off the top of my head..

Jaws
E.T
Dragonslayer
They Live
Re-animator
From Beyond
The Creature from the Black Lagoon Trilogy

E.T.
Re-Animator (Anchor Bay releases this movie like every 5 minutes WHY IS THERE NO BLU-RAY YET?! I've been coasting off my taped off Showtime VHS FOR TOO LONG! The thing is you KNOW they are gonna release this one. JUST DO IT ALREADY)
Back to the Future (yes, I know the trilogy is out, but I only care about getting the original)
Original Star Wars Trilogy Theatrical versions (when hell freezes over, I know)
Original Indiana Jones Trilogy (ESPECIALLY Raiders)
Possession (1981)
Shivers
Peeping Tom
Gorgo
Army of Darkness (as in a new AoD release- with both cuts and new features. The first 2 ED films have definitive BD editions, so this one deserves an upgrade)
Vertigo
The Birds

Also, more old Carpenter and Cronenberg, more Godzilla/Toho sci-fi, Hammer Horror, Dario Argento, Mario Bava, and classic Universal horror and sci-fi are always welcome. I feel like the Roger Corman Poe films would look amazing on BD also.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Great list Mouth....I've seen you mention Gorgo a few times now I think...one of your faves I take it?
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Since catalog titles are apparently not doing so great on Blu-Ray, regardless of how well they've been remastered, I wouldn't mind if any of the studios started releasing manufactured-on-demand BD-Rs (MOD, no relation to Billy Milano), if it was the only way some things would be seen on Blu. One advantage it would have over the DVD-R MOD programs is that the dyes in BD-Rs are much longer lasting than those in DVD-Rs. The studios routinely have catalog titles mastered in HD for broadcast licensing purposes, so this would be a way to get those deeper catalog titles on Blu without having to worry about unsold copies getting return by retailers. For example, MGM has remastered tons of AIP flicks for their MGM-HD channel (like the Corman Poe films, with remasters approved by Corman himself) , but who knows if any of that stuff will make it to retail Blu?

Barring that...

A Blu port of the Val Lewton Collection
The 30fps version of Around The World In 80 Days
Curse/Night of the Demon
The Quatermass Xperiment/Quatermass II
The Vikings
Ilya Mouromets (the uncut Russian version of Sword & The Dragon)
Hercules & The Captive Women ("Hercules Conquers Atlantis" in the full European cut, scanned from the original Technirama elements)
Zulu (the current UK Blu-ray has been grain-reduced into mush, a more faithful disc would be better)
Planet of the Vampires (full AIP and Euro cuts, original audio *and* the rescored VHS audio, which I actually liked)
Ravenous (with all the commentaries from the DVD)
Last edited by Joseph Goodman on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Oh...Curse of the Demon would be amazing....

For some reason....I always feel like watching that film as a double feature with Daimajin lol
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:52 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Great list Mouth....I've seen you mention Gorgo a few times now I think...one of your faves I take it?

I haven't watched it in its entirety in a long time, but I DO really like that movie and feel like its kinda fallen by the wayside lately in monster movie fandom. I don't hear people talking about it as much as they used to, which is a shame, because its storyline has been ripped a hundred times over (even in Jurassic Park 2!). I tried to watch it recently on the VCI DVD, but that thing was SOOOOO awful looking. If I wanted to watch a sh*tty copy of Gorgo, I'd rather just pop in the old VHS and get all nostalgic. A Blu-Ray is DESPERATELY needed. This movie just flat out needs to be resurrected.

Also, let me say I agree that the Lewton films and Curse/Night of the Demon would be great additions to Blu-Ray. And speaking of Jurassic Park, I'd love a solo release of the first film. As with Back to the Future, they insist on selling just the box set to get people to buy the sh*tty sequels... but I ain't havin it!
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Mac » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:57 pm

A year ago, I would have come in here and typed GODZILLA VS MEGALON as sarcastically as possible...

to think we were so close...

so close...

*dies*
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Blu Ray Wish Lists

Postby Goji 84 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:00 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
Original Star Wars Trilogy Theatrical versions (when hell freezes over, I know)
:lol:

MouthForWar wrote:Army of Darkness (as in a new AoD release- with both cuts and new features. The first 2 ED films have definitive BD editions, so this one deserves an upgrade)

Yes please. I've passed on the new BD release for that reason alone (being so barebones). I'll stick with my "Boomstick" edition until there is a BD release worth upgrading for. (Because you know they'll release it another 7 times)
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Some more color Kurosawa would be great, particularly Dreams and Dersu Uzala (the latter especially could use a new transfer).

Also, Westworld.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Does Big Trouble in Little China have a blu-ray? I think it might, but I know Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness don't and I'd buy those in a heartbeat.
Gills.

My Podcast:
http://secondrun.libsyn.com/

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:56 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Does Big Trouble in Little China have a blu-ray? I think it might, but I know Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness don't and I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

BTILC- Yes

The two- no.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:37 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Some more color Kurosawa would be great, particularly Dreams and Dersu Uzala (the latter especially could use a new transfer).

Also, Westworld.

Really hoping Kino comes through with a nice Blu-Ray for Dersu Uzala. Their Buster Keaton releases have been wonderful.

Any film I really love is a must-but again in HD in my book. I'll happily buy all of those Godzilla, Miyazaki (Nausicaa's underneath the tree right now!), Marx Brothers, and Kurosawa films again. Then there are a few that I've been meaning to upgrade but haven't got around to (the Leone westerns, Kong '33).

The big thing for me is holding out on buying a film I want because I'm waiting for a possible HD release. I love Billy Wilder's films from the '40s through the '60s, but do I want to buy The Apartment or Stalag 17 on DVD when a Blu-Ray may come out in two or three years? What about the non-Robin Hood Errol Flynn swashbucklers? WB's Robin Hood release was great, wll Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk warrant similar releases?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:19 pm

well lest see

Attack Of The Super Monsters

alligator

grizzly

prophecy the monster movie

the raven

Dr goldfoot

horror of party beach

the guyver movies
Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away;
A single laugh demolished the right arm
Of his own country; — seldom since that day
Has Spain had heroes.

where did all the happy endings go?, where could all the good times be.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:52 pm

I love Prophecy lol. I'd pick up that movie on Blu Ray in a hearbeat.

Speaking of Monster movies, Pumpkinhead on Blu Ray would be great.

And Guyver 2 would be great, but I think it's source material, for at least some of the footage in the film, came from a vhs styled camera...not actual film, so I don't know if any amount of digital reworking can make parts of Guyver 2 look even remotely good

And if any of you think these films are long shots...well, they're going to release The Deadly Spawn on blu ray so anything is possible :lol:
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Oh, and the Universal Monster Movies!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:21 pm

lhb412 wrote:Oh, and the Universal Monster Movies!

I'd like these, plz.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:45 pm

I'm still waiting for Lawrence of Arabia. It was originally announced way back in 2008 or 9 & still isn't out...

The Indiana Jones Trilogy (which is supposedly in the works) is another big one. And of course the original cuts of the Star Wars films (all 6 of them now, as they've ALL been changed in some way for bluray).

I wish Criterion would do a full restoration of Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy. It's SO good (with fantastic cinematography) & the dvd's are awful laserdisc ports.

Jurassic Park is finally off the list, thankfully. And Jaws should be too, soon.

More Errol Flynn stuff is a great idea & I'd like to see more Harryhausen stuff too (even though I still need to upgrade all the ones that are out all ready to blurays).
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:48 pm

How the hell is Lawrence of Arabia not on Blu-Ray yet?!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:59 pm

lhb412 wrote:How the hell is Lawrence of Arabia not on Blu-Ray yet?!

Because Sony is re-restoring it from 8k scans of the original 65mm negative!
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:04 pm

canofhumdingers wrote:
I wish Criterion would do a full restoration of Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy. It's SO good (with fantastic cinematography) & the dvd's are awful laserdisc ports.

Let's add some of Inagaki's other big period productions... Samurai Banners, the 1962 Chushingura, Samurai Saga, The Three Treasures, etc.
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:38 am

Right now just Jaws and the Universal monster films.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:36 am

Joseph Goodman wrote:
lhb412 wrote:How the hell is Lawrence of Arabia not on Blu-Ray yet?!

Because Sony is re-restoring it from 8k scans of the original 65mm negative!

Oh, well that's okay then.
:)
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Battle Royale
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:42 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Battle Royale

You sir win The Internet!! I love that film and the book it's based on! Weren't we supposed to finally get this on dvd and blu ray this year? What happened to that?

Plus, anyone else think The Hunger Games is just a westernized-watered down remake of BR?
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Next

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases