Blu Ray Wish Lists

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Blu Ray Wish Lists

Postby Gwangi » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Jinzo Ningen wrote:
Gwangi wrote:Image
I had been waiting for this a long time! (practically since the beginning of time! :mrgreen: ). Not only will this be a 4K restoration of the original Czech version, but it will now also include the English-dubbed edition as well! Sources say that this is region free. Since this is coming from Europe, we shall see what will ultimately be in the final specs (and perhaps, it is darn time I buy a region free blu-ray player!).
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25678

Got this a couple of days ago and finally had a chance last night to sit and watch the film(s) and pour through the slim but interesting supplements. This is a GREAT hi-def release. Worth every penny. As a life-long dino fan, seeing this restored in both its original version and the U.S. reconstruction is amazing. The copy I had was a DVD-r cloned from an old dupe of the Goodtimes EP-mode VHS. So, in other words... pretty crappy. But even in that skunky copy you could tell there was something magical about the movie. And what a treat to see it now! Like watching it before & after cataract surgery. Seriously. The film technicians who restored it did a terrific job. There's a brief restoration segment in the extras that highlights the extensive work done and shows practical before/after comparisons. Simply amazing. I cannot recommend this Blu-ray enough. Best purchase I've made in a looong time. A full 5 STAR release! :mrgreen:

Excellent!!! My only hesitance on purchasing this was if it was region free as they advertised (I've been duped more than once in regards to this).

I still have the the Goodtimes VHS, in its clamshell container! If one has seen that version, there is a dino scene (I think when they were examining the dead stegosaurus) where the dub is not in sync with the action taking place. I hope that this reconstruction has fixed that. Regardless, this will now be an immediate purchase! :mrgreen:
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:35 am

Gwangi wrote:
Jinzo Ningen wrote:Got this a couple of days ago and finally had a chance last night to sit and watch the film(s) and pour through the slim but interesting supplements. This is a GREAT hi-def release. Worth every penny. As a life-long dino fan, seeing this restored in both its original version and the U.S. reconstruction is amazing. The copy I had was a DVD-r cloned from an old dupe of the Goodtimes EP-mode VHS. So, in other words... pretty crappy. But even in that skunky copy you could tell there was something magical about the movie. And what a treat to see it now! Like watching it before & after cataract surgery. Seriously. The film technicians who restored it did a terrific job. There's a brief restoration segment in the extras that highlights the extensive work done and shows practical before/after comparisons. Simply amazing. I cannot recommend this Blu-ray enough. Best purchase I've made in a looong time. A full 5 STAR release! :mrgreen:

Excellent!!! My only hesitance on purchasing this was if it was region free as they advertised (I've been duped more than once in regards to this).

I still have the the Goodtimes VHS, in its clamshell container! If one has seen that version, there is a dino scene (I think when they were examining the dead stegosaurus) where the dub is not in sync with the action taking place. I hope that this reconstruction has fixed that. Regardless, this will now be an immediate purchase! :mrgreen:

The only real gripe I have with the Bluray will likely remain forever unresolved, and that is that the "reconstruction" of the U.S. version consists of the (beautiful, meticulously-restored high-def) Czech footage simply shoehorned into an awful-looking SD copy of the American cut of the film. Absolutely ZERO work (as far as my eyes can tell) was done to restore or clean up the opening & ending sequences of the U.S. print. It wouldn't normally be so bad, except the contrast between the two now is like night & day. Even as is, I'm very glad that the effort was made. In fact, I might not have bought this Blu-ray at all if the dubbed American version of the film hadn't been included. Better a rough reconstruction/dub than none at all (hear that, Mill Creek & Criterion!?!) Oh and BTW, the dubtrack falling out of sync at the dead Stego scene HAS been fixed. Oddly enough, the jarring unexplained jump near the end of the film where we see Doc clearly stuffing his diary/logbook into his satchel ...and somehow Jo-Jo finds it floating in the swamp a hundred yards or so away mere minutes later is also in the original version of the film, not just the U.S. cut. Still doesn't make sense. That, and not seeing nor hearing a huge dinosaur smash up their boat beached only a few years away while they examine the dead Stego (the scene plays out identically in both versions), are only loopholes that I could find (given the preposterous nature of the film itself to begin with). :-)
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Well, with all this talk about "Journey to the Beginning of Time", Criterion has just announed their February releases and one of the titles - "Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman"

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/2880-three-fantastic-journeys-by-karel-zeman?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=1490cd805d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_05_15_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5c13ac2083-1490cd805d-64105831

And one of the titles is "Journey to the Beginning of Time"

https://www.criterion.com/films/30226-journey-to-the-beginning-of-time

Unknown if the dubbed version will be included. If not, then we still have the U.K. version (region free), that was released earlier this Fall. I will probably still get this Criterion set, since it does included the other features that I have been dying to watch!
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:35 pm

Gwangi wrote:Unknown if the dubbed version will be included.

According to the Criterion page:

Special Features
U.S.-release version of Journey to the Beginning of Time from 1960
Alternate English-dubbed soundtrack for Invention for Destruction, and the opening sequence of the 1961 U.S.-release version

It sounds like much of the content here will be repackaged from the recent Euro BDs.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Wow! I've been curious about this guy's work for a little while, even beyond Journey to the Beginning of Time. Happy to get three of his features (and several shorts) all in one go!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Bill Warren called The Fabulous World of Jules Verne (the U.S. release title of the film here called "Invention for Destruction") the best film he reviewed for Keep Watching the Skies. I've never seen it but I'm interested based on that praise alone.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:22 am

H-Man wrote:
Gwangi wrote:Unknown if the dubbed version will be included.

According to the Criterion page:

Special Features
U.S.-release version of Journey to the Beginning of Time from 1960
Alternate English-dubbed soundtrack for Invention for Destruction, and the opening sequence of the 1961 U.S.-release version

It sounds like much of the content here will be repackaged from the recent Euro BDs.

Egads, how did I miss that! :shock:

I did finally check the specs for both the European and Criterion additions. While the two do contain the dubbed version, It looks like the Euro one has a little bit more such as "The Making of Journey to the Beginning of Time", which I saw a preview of not too long ago.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
The alternative English-dubbed version: a feature-length reconstruction of the US release cut with different opening and end sequences
A new filmed appreciation by John Stevenson, director of Kung-Fu Panda and Sherlock Gnomes
The Making of Journey to the Beginning of Time
Restoring the World of Fantasy featurette
Image gallery
Trailers
Booklet featuring new writing on the film by film historian Michael Brooke
REGION-FREE

This will have to be a case where I double dip, but it will be worth it. For a movie that I thought would never see the light of day on BD and dubbed, we are sure now getting our spoils! :D
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Yes, it looks from what is posted on Criterion's site that they have simply bundled all three of Zeman's films recently restored and available thru Second Run and stuffed them into one big release. I am going to purchase the other two films separately, based on how terrific the restored version of JttBoT turned out. (The teaser footage on Criterion's site of the Verne-inspired film looks incredible!) But the CC price lists @ $80 for the set. If was under $60 I'd say it was a solid deal but as is... I think buying the current releases individually might be the more prudent purchase. (I know B&N and other places often have half price sales for CC stuff, but I don't think I can wait!) :lol:
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:47 pm

No official annoucement yet, but in some film magazine interview someone from Arrow Video let slip that a Gamera box set is in the works:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=357
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Gwangi wrote:
Special Features and Technical Specs:
BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
The alternative English-dubbed version: a feature-length reconstruction of the US release cut with different opening and end sequences
A new filmed appreciation by John Stevenson, director of Kung-Fu Panda and Sherlock Gnomes
The Making of Journey to the Beginning of Time
Restoring the World of Fantasy featurette
Image gallery
Trailers
Booklet featuring new writing on the film by film historian Michael Brooke
REGION-FREE

This will have to be a case where I double dip, but it will be worth it. For a movie that I thought would never see the light of day on BD and dubbed, we are sure now getting our spoils! :D

According to someone involved with the Second Sight disc over on Blu-ray.com, the Criterion set will feature an improved presentation of the US cut, reconstructed from the 4k restoration and a 16mm print (a print I actually saw a screening of 18 years ago!) of the US cut located at a certain US institution. The US print is apparently more complete than the old VHS Second Sight had to work with, so the reconstruction will be better synced in addition to having better image quality in the US scenes.
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:05 pm

lhb412 wrote:No official annoucement yet, but in some film magazine interview someone from Arrow Video let slip that a Gamera box set is in the works:

Arrow has begun releasing in the US recently haven't they? It'd be cool for their Gamera set to make it's way here too.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:57 pm

^ Arrow has become one of the US's top boutique home video labels since they've began selling here. Typically, the only reason one of their releases comes out in the UK and not in the US is when another distributor has the US license, like how Arrow released Candyman in Britain whereas Shout Factory put out the Blu-ray in America at about the same time.

I feel that a Gamera release would almost certainly be a UK and US release.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:09 pm

lhb412 wrote:No official annoucement yet, but in some film magazine interview someone from Arrow Video let slip that a Gamera box set is in the works:

Nice! I hope they manage to wrangle every single film from Kadokawa. Gamera the Brave is the only one I don't have on BRD, just DVD.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:00 pm

It seems 2020 will be an even better year for kaiju fans.

2019 had KOTM in theaters, then the year closed out with the Criterion Godzilla set and five Ultraman Blu-Ray sets (the Mill Creek deal being the most significant US distribution deal in kaiju home video history!).

In 2020 we'll likely be getting a dozen Ultraman series on Blu-ray (plus a new American comic book), Godzilla vs. Kong capping things off at the end of the year, and the Arrow Video Gamera set!

Inceedible!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:28 pm

lhb412 wrote:It seems 2020 will be an even better year for kaiju fans.

2019 had KOTM in theaters, then the year closed out with the Criterion Godzilla set and five Ultraman Blu-Ray sets (the Mill Creek deal being the most significant US distribution deal in kaiju home video history!).

In 2020 we'll likely be getting a dozen Ultraman series on Blu-ray (plus a new American comic book), Godzilla vs. Kong capping things off at the end of the year, and the Arrow Video Gamera set!

Inceedible!

I'm hoping we get Godzilla (2014) on 4K disc too. What a time to be a Japanese monster movie/tv show fan.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases