Godzilla KOTM... from the Criterion Collection!?!?!

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Godzilla KOTM... from the Criterion Collection!?!?!

Postby Alpha OTS » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Thank you, Benjamin.

So as far as blurays with english dubs go we still need: G Raids Again, GvMothra, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, and All Monsters Attack. Do international dubs not exist for these? Are the english dubs of these on the Classic Media sets AIPs? Again, never really thought I'd be asking about english dubs and I used to skip over those types of posts in the past. Weird how my interest in this has changed. :)

I don't know what possessed me to watch All Monsters Attack last night out of all the other things I could have watched in the set, but I think that was the first time I had ever watched the Japanese version and I had a lot of trouble with the Minilla segments because his voice just didn't sound right. I'm guessing that was the suit actor's voice?
Alpha OTS
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Shokara » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:29 pm

Alpha OTS wrote:Thank you, Benjamin.

So as far as blurays with english dubs go we still need: G Raids Again, GvMothra, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, and All Monsters Attack. Do international dubs not exist for these? Are the english dubs of these on the Classic Media sets AIPs? Again, never really thought I'd be asking about english dubs and I used to skip over those types of posts in the past. Weird how my interest in this has changed. :)

I don't know what possessed me to watch All Monsters Attack last night out of all the other things I could have watched in the set, but I think that was the first time I had ever watched the Japanese version and I had a lot of trouble with the Minilla segments because his voice just didn't sound right. I'm guessing that was the suit actor's voice?

You are correct. There are no international English dubs for these movies, and each have only ever had one English dub in existence. And correct, those English dubs are on the Classic Media DVDs along with audio commentaries for each movie among other extras. However, only one of these movies was released theatrically by American International Pictures and dubbed by Titra Studios, and that one is Mothra vs. Godzilla, released as Godzilla vs. the Thing. The other three movies were each dubbed by different recording studios and released by different distributors.
Shokara
Godzilla Jr.

Postby H-Man » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:56 pm

There are 15 Showa Godzilla films, but altogether there are 19 total different English language versions. Bold text denotes versions/audio that is in this collection. I've also noted the most recent release of each version the others:

Godzilla/ Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) - Released by Embassy Pictures and TransWorld. Dubbed in Hollywood.
Gigantis, the Fire Monster (1959) - Released by Warner Bros. Dubbed at Ryder Sound in Hollywood. (Classic Media DVD)
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963) - Released by Universal-International. Dubbed at Ryder Sound.
Godzilla vs the Thing (1964) - Released by American International (AIP). Dubbed at Titra Sound, New York. (Classic Media DVD)
Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster (1965) - Released by Walter Reade Organization/Continental. Dubbed by Joe Bellucci (Bellucci Productions), New York. (Classic Media DVD)
Monster Zero (1970) - Released by Maron Films. Dubbed at Glen Glenn Sound in Hollywood (in 1966). *
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep - International version. Dubbed by Frontier Enterprises, Tokyo. (Kraken Blu-ray)
Godzilla versus the Sea Monster (1968) - Released by Walter Reade Organization (TV). Dubbed at Titan Productions (formerly Titra Sound), New York. (Goodtimes VHS)
Son of Godzilla - International version. Dubbed by Frontier Enterprises, Tokyo.
" " (1969) - Released by Walter Reade Organization (TV). Dubbed at Titan Productions, New York. (Anchor Bay VHS)
Destroy All Monsters - International version. Dubbed by Frontier Enterprises, Tokyo.
" " (1969) - Released by AIP. Dubbed at Titan Productions, New York. (Media Blasters DVD/Blu-ray, 2011 pressing only)
Godzilla's Revenge (1971) - Released by Maron Films. Dubbed at Ryder Sound. (Classic Media DVD)
Godzilla vs. Hedorah - International version. Dubbed in Hong Kong. (Kraken Blu-ray)
Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (1972) - Released by AIP. Dubbed at Titan Productions, New York. (Orion/Image VHS and Laserdisc)

The four films from Godzilla vs. Gigan through Terror of Mechagodzilla each had international versions dubbed in Hong Kong. None of these were re-dubbed for American release; U.S. releases used these dubbed versions but were often heavily edited. The English versions of Megalon and both Mechagodzillas are in this collection. The most recent release of Gigan with the English dubbed version was the 2014 Kraken DVD/Blu-ray.

*Toho/Criterion has designated the Monster Zero dub as an "international version" but it was actually dubbed in Hollywood for the film's eventual U.S. release. The version available in the recent set is the same dubbed audio American fans have heard for decades, with Nick Adams' voice and Marvin Miller as Fuji and a bunch of other minor characters.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:00 am

I thought Monster Zero ran like 2 minutes shorter than Astro-Monster? Or is it just the opening credits that is different?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 am

Dr Kain wrote:I thought Monster Zero ran like 2 minutes shorter than Astro-Monster? Or is it just the opening credits that is different?

It's actually only about a minute shorter:

phpBB [media]

Obviously the film is uncut in Criterion's set, and the English audio corresponds to the full length version. Some time ago (it's assumed to have been in the '80s), Toho crafted an "international version" of Astro-Monster by syncing the ~93 minute American version's audio to the ~94 minute Japanese version of the film. None of the dialogue in the attached video is dubbed in this international version: all the previously cut dialogue remains in Japanese except for the one Nick Adams line (restored from on-set audio).

I didn't want to bog down my previous post with lots of little differences between version A, version B, etc. for most films, but what I said ("The version available in the recent set is the same dubbed audio American fans have heard for decades") is true, although the way that audio is edited and married to the visuals is different than what we've seen before.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Alpha OTS » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Thank you Shokara and H-man for those detailed replies. They were very helpful. :D
Alpha OTS
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:42 pm

I've watched Criterion's Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster and it is marvelous. This was the movie that previously looked the roughest on both the Toho and Classic Media DVDs, with washed-out colors and significant print damage compared to other Showa entries. It needed a visual upgrade badly and now it's finally here on BRD with rich colors, strong contrast and revelatory detail. It isn't perfect, as there are some shots that are less detailed than others, but this is hands-down the best that Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster has ever looked on home media.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:13 pm

I finally watched the 1954 film on BRD for the first time. I still didn't have an HDTV back in 2012 so I got Criterion's Godzilla on DVD when it was released. I never got around to double-dipping for the BRD but now I've got it in this set. It's great to see Criterion's restoration work for the original film in HD.

I also watched Criterion's Godzilla vs. Gigan and it looks really good. It's nice to have it on BRD with all of the Japanese onscreen graphics and without dubtitles. Criterion's subtitles make it clear that the cockroach aliens are projecting images of the deceased people whose identities they've stolen, which explains why the chairman's human form disappears in flashes at the end. That would also seem to explain why their shadows reveal their cockroach shapes, although it also raises the question of how Tomoko was able to grab Kubota by the collar without grabbing a fistful of roach exoskeleton.

Afterward I put in Kraken's Gigan BRD to compare the picture quality. In terms of color and contrast they look very similar. The Sony transfer on Kraken's disc is darker and slightly cropped, with a lot more visible grain, a bit more print damage and a color palette that leans more blue. Both transfers look great and both discs are worth owning.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:43 am

With November over and their Criterion sale at an end, Barnes & Noble's price for the Criterion Godzilla set is back up to $209.10.

Amazon is still offering it for $112.49 at the moment. The set actually stayed among Amazon's top 100 bestsellers throughout the month of November until the Thanksgiving sales began.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:13 am

I was really hoping I'd get this today for my Birthday but it looks like I have to wait until Christmas, I know I'm getting it because I accidently saw it. :oops:

Oh well I have Ultraseven coming in a few weeks so that'll keep me busy until Christmas.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases