Godzilla KOTM... from the Criterion Collection!?!?!

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Godzilla KOTM... from the Criterion Collection!?!?!

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:41 pm

^ Jet Jaguar gets the treatment he deserves!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:38 am

Kain those prints that SeaHawk posted are official Toho prints you do realize that right? IIRC they where used for recent TV broadcast so they haven't made it on to BD yet. So going by your logic just because it hasn't made it to home video it isn't the best print available is what I'm getting from you even though its clearly superior to the previous BD releases.

To quote Robert Downy Jr from Trophic Thunder "You just went full "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!", you never go full "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!"".
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:49 am

Canof, Predator's DNR has nothing to do with Disney. That was years ago before Fox even considered selling themselves.

kiryugoji04 wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:All Monsters Attack, is... well... All Mosnters Attack. It exists. Thankfully, I wasn't too bored while watching it, but I'm glad I have it out of the way now. That kid has the worst parents ever featured in a Godzilla film.

Way to completely miss the point of the movie.

Or maybe I just don't think it is that good of a movie? I get it just fine, it doesn't mean I have to like it. It's dull and uninteresting. It's too childish even for me when I was a kid. It makes Godzilla vs Megalon look exciting and the soundtrack sucks.

I really hate it when people think someone disliked something because they didn't "get it." August pulled that bull "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" attitude when I said the turtle episode was my least favorite episode of Ultra Q.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:32 am

Dr Kain wrote:Canof, Predator's DNR has nothing to do with Disney. That was years ago before Fox even considered selling themselves.

What? I didn’t say Disney was responsible for the Predator DNR. I said that Disney has applied excessive DNR to some of their animated films just as bad as the DNR on the predator disc.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:14 am

No, if you think the kid in Revenge just has bad parents, you missed the point of the movie.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:54 am

canofhumdingers wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:Canof, Predator's DNR has nothing to do with Disney. That was years ago before Fox even considered selling themselves.

What? I didn’t say Disney was responsible for the Predator DNR. I said that Disney has applied excessive DNR to some of their animated films just as bad as the DNR on the predator disc.

My bad then. I misunderstood what you meant.

Personally, I don't have an issue with DNR if it tones down the noise. It's when you get out of control with it like Fox did with Predator and Viz did with the first season to Sailor Moon when it comes an issue.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:56 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:No, if you think the kid in Revenge just has bad parents, you missed the point of the movie.

His parents work all of the time. The mother calls up the neighbor to have him tell her son she is going to be working all night. Having both parents working is fine, but when they start ditching their child for work, then it becomes an issue. They might as well name themseleves the Goku Family.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:No, if you think the kid in Revenge just has bad parents, you missed the point of the movie.

His parents work all of the time. The mother calls up the neighbor to have him tell her son she is going to be working all night. Having both parents working is fine, but when they start ditching their child for work, then it becomes an issue. They might as well name themseleves the Goku Family.

Maybe Honda is making a statement of some kind. Maybe the film is a criticism of something. Here's a hint: IT'S NOT THE PARENTS.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:24 pm

It's not like Ichiro's parents spend all that time at work because they want to.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:32 pm

H-Man wrote:It's not like Ichiro's parents spend all that time at work because they want to.

It's the flip side of Japan's economic expansion. Both this movie and the follow-up, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, deal with the aftermath of said expansion.

(Hadn't made the connection until I read Ryfle's essay for this set, which was posted on Criterion's site)
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Yes, it's basically another movie in the grand tradition of Honda criticizing capitalism. It's following in the same footsteps as Mothra, King Kong vs. Godzilla, and Mothra vs. Godzilla. It's kind of one of his things.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:11 pm

^ That and hiking.

Man loved to hike!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Hawanja » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:18 pm

What's up folks! I put up a review of this if anyone is interested,

https://youtu.be/ruik29vkWBw

Thanks!
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc
Hawanja
Godzilla Jr.

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:02 pm

50% Off Criterion Sale
For A Limited Time, Get 50% Off The Criterion Collection. Only At B&N!
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:

Maybe Honda is making a statement of some kind. Maybe the film is a criticism of something. Here's a hint: IT'S NOT THE PARENTS.

Cool, but even without that aspect, the movie is still lackluster. It's basically a clip show and features a kid who is able to best professional criminals. At least Kevin had a house full of traps.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:25 pm

mr.negativity wrote:50% Off Criterion Sale

Well, we have two B&N stores in the area and checking over the weekend, did not see anything of this Godzilla package. Either they were sold out or never had them in stock. There are only two movies that I desire from this set (the Japanese version of KK vs G and the blu-ray of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla), and because I have other financial matters that I to take care of this month, I will have to bide my time.

Curious that Sci-fi Japan did not do one of their giveaways. I would have entered that!
Last edited by Gwangi on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:42 pm

^ My B&N had the Godzilla set behind the front desk, not in the music and movie section. Also, Amazon seems to be price matching this set at the moment, possibly for the duration of the sale, in case you don't have a Barnes & Noble or don't want to order from their website.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 pm

Yeah, I checked the front desk as well, and did not spot anything. Will give it another try this weekend, but as my hands are currently tied financially, this will just be window shopping.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 am

lhb412 wrote:^ Jet Jaguar gets the treatment he deserves!

The dam sequence in Megalon is the best it's ever looked. The details of the Megalon suit really stand out. Also I never noticed Jet Jaguar has camera lenses for eyes.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 am

I watched Hedorah today. The movie is still a waste, but at least Hedorah has a cool design and is an intriguing idea. I just wish if nothing else the music didn't suck so badly. I will say that I do think the Kraken BD for this one was a bit sharper, but meh, it's Hedorah, one of the movies I watch the least, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Unless I get asked to work tomorrow, my plan is to finsh the set tomorrow. Then I'm going to start watching the Heisei era over as I might as well just watch every Godzilla movie in release order, especially since this will be the first time I'm actually getting to see every movie subbed in order.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 am

DannyBeane wrote:
lhb412 wrote:^ Jet Jaguar gets the treatment he deserves!

The dam sequence in Megalon is the best it's ever looked. The details of the Megalon suit really stand out. Also I never noticed Jet Jaguar has camera lenses for eyes.

I'm watching Mill Creek's Ultraman Blu-rays and I'm noticing tons of stuff I'm not supposed to notice: folds in the canvas backdrop, the lighting rig under the water making the monster light effects, hastily applied paint...

Still awesome, though.
:D
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:00 pm

mr.negativity wrote:50% Off Criterion Sale

Amazon is offering it at the same price as well

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VLJ9KB6/?c ... _lig_dp_it
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:19 pm

And just like that, I have finished the Showa era of Godzilla. What a joy it was to rewatch all of these movies in order, in Japanese, with subtitles, on Blu-Ray, with consistent quality, even the ones I do not like.

It was so great getting to finally watch Gigan with the speech bubbles in tact. It made this viewing feel extra special despite it being something so minute. Megalon is Megalon. Pure garbage, but hey, at least it looked and sounded nicer than the Media Blasters release. I do still ponder why Toho dubbed over the dude who played the Toga leader's voice when he spoke fluent Japanese in Dogora. Secondly, when the hell did the Seatopians befriend the owners of Gigan? Did they meet at some "Outcasts of Modern Society" convention or something?

Anyway, the highlights was naturally the Mechagodzilla double feature I just had. Not only because we got actual subtitles that made sense for the first film, but also because they looked so good on BD.

Overall, say what you want, but this is hands down my favorite Criterion release to date. I am so glad that this miraculous event happened and it has been the biggest bright spot for this dismal dreadful disdainful year called 2019.

Now it's time to check out some of the bonus features on the last disc.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:37 pm

Robert Dunham was speaking English on set; in Japan’s Favorite Mon-Star (or maybe Monsters Are Attacking Tokyo), I believe Dunham recalled he got the part very quickly through his agent. I would assume the part was written in English for a Caucasian actor so Dunham’s fluent Japanese wouldn’t have occurred to the writer.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:53 am

H-Man wrote:Robert Dunham was speaking English on set; in Japan’s Favorite Mon-Star (or maybe Monsters Are Attacking Tokyo), I believe Dunham recalled he got the part very quickly through his agent. I would assume the part was written in English for a Caucasian actor so Dunham’s fluent Japanese wouldn’t have occurred to the writer.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the info.

Well I just finished the bonus disc. The Ishiro Honda interview was good, albeit a little bit long, loved the Ifukube interview and the one with Bin Furaya. The movie trailers felt like they went on forever and while they were great, I wish Criterion had put a PLAY ALL option on them as that got annoying to have to select each one individually. However, the standing ovation feature by far has to go to the special effects documentary. Not only was it informative, well put together, but I absolutely loved the segment of what I call, "When Toy Vehicles Go Wrong." The sound effects they added into that bit was just hilarious. I also had no idea they really did use a live octopus for KKvsG. I mean, I assumed they did based on how it looked in scenes, but the fact that they actually did was cool, despite them apparently prodding it. That part seemed kind of mean, but I don't know if they could have done anything else. Overall, these bonus features were top notch. A shame they couldn't have included those like 7 minute versions of the movies that were present on my old Region 2 DVDs, but oh well.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases