Star Wars Blu-rays in the Works

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:19 pm

IGN reviewed the set and gave it an 8.0 despite not caring for the changes.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:13 am

Well I just spent the entire day watching the prequel trilogy and my god is Revenge of the Sith amazing in HD. The audio is just so incredible and I heard things from my rear speakers I never heard coming from the movie before. Not to mention how mind blowing the visuals were, especially during the opening scene. The video and audio were excellent in TPM and AotC as well, but no where near to the perfection that RotS had. Tomorrow I watch the original trilogy.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:48 am

I'm going to ask for this for Chirstmas I think and for my birthday ask for Jurassic Park on BD, unless of course I'm working in which case I'll pick both up myself.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby RyanClark » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:37 am

Shokara wrote:RyanClark: No, there's been no change in that regard. Vader always said that line like this: "He will come to me?"

Huh, don't know what the hell I was thinking then. At least it wasn't a change.
RyanClark
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Just finished watching the original trilogy and boy do they look gorgeous in Blu-Ray. All three of them were beautiful outside of one specific scene, which was when C-3PO was arguing with R2 in Ep IV when they are on Tatooine. I am not sure why, but the coloring on 3PO just looked awkward in that scene. Other than that, the movies were golden. One thing I love is that they finally got the scene where Luke fights the Rancor to not look like crap and all grainy. Even the DVDs from 2004 made the scene look fake, whereas now, it looks a lot better. I guess the only other complaint I have is that the lightsabers do not reflect at all, even in dark rooms. I wished they would do something like that, but they probably never will. Also, not every change posted online is real. Duel of the Fates was not added into the Vader/Obiwan battle as they led us to believe. Anyway, these movies are great, look great, and the audio is down right amazing. These are by far the definitive versions of the movies and will be the last time I buy them unless they decide to release the original theatrical cuts.

Now it is onto watching the special features...
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:07 pm

well you guys could always watch The Star Wars Holiday Special i don't think that Lucas will ever touch that one.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:31 pm

The Smooze wrote:well you guys could always watch The Star Wars Holiday Special i don't think that Lucas will ever touch that one.

The SW Holiday Special may be the thing most responsible for Lucas reluctance in letting others doing stuff with Star Wars, at least as far as the official live action stuff that's in line with the movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9vDFVNZDXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oz2Nepewi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoSmGgo4xvI
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby JimPV » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Could anybody help me out with a copy of the HD version of Harmy's original Star Wars (just the first)? I'd be happy to send you a DVD-R and maybe a few movies for your trouble. Have tried to download them, but it's more time and effort that I have right now. Send me a pm if willing to help me out. Thanks!
JimPV
Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:11 pm

JimPV wrote:Could anybody help me out with a copy of the HD version of Harmy's original Star Wars (just the first)? I'd be happy to send you a DVD-R and maybe a few movies for your trouble. Have tried to download them, but it's more time and effort that I have right now. Send me a pm if willing to help me out. Thanks!

The one out right now is awesome, but if you're willing to wait a little, version 2.0 with some notable fixes is being worked on by Harmy as we speak... No firm release date, but I think he said maybe another month?
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:11 am

So watching the Star Wars BDs got me in the mood to pick up some parodies (or watch them if I already owned them). I've watched the third Robot Chicken episode, picked up and watched the BDs of the Family Guy ones, and I just picked up the Padawon Menace today, which I'll probably watch tomorrow. I also watched the parodies special on the 9th disc. I am so happy they have the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost skit on there.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby gila-monster » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:22 am

Dr Kain wrote:So watching the Star Wars BDs got me in the mood to pick up some parodies (or watch them if I already owned them). I've watched the third Robot Chicken episode, picked up and watched the BDs of the Family Guy ones, and I just picked up the Padawon Menace today, which I'll probably watch tomorrow. I also watched the parodies special on the 9th disc. I am so happy they have the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost skit on there.

Space Balls is all you need, really.
gila-monster
Godzilla Jr.

Postby The Shadow » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:54 am

What?! No mentions of Hardware Wars?

I've never seen it -- but judging by this scene up on Youtube it seems like it's a pretty funny short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_Wars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0AaOohRAnM
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 pm

gila-monster wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:So watching the Star Wars BDs got me in the mood to pick up some parodies (or watch them if I already owned them). I've watched the third Robot Chicken episode, picked up and watched the BDs of the Family Guy ones, and I just picked up the Padawon Menace today, which I'll probably watch tomorrow. I also watched the parodies special on the 9th disc. I am so happy they have the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost skit on there.

I'll get there.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
gila-monster wrote:

I'll get there.

That movie hasn't aged very well...in fact, I don't think I really care for any of Mel Brook's comedies anymore.....too childish for my taste
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:51 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:
gila-monster wrote:

I'll get there.

That movie hasn't aged very well...in fact, I don't think I really care for any of Mel Brook's comedies anymore.....too childish for my taste

What about Young Frankenstein?!

Also, I think Blazing Saddles and the Producers are far too sophisticated to be considered juvenile.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Good call...haven't seen The Producers yet but the other two are pretty good. It's just the amount of "boob" jokes in his movies makes me roll my eyes...it's like 'fan service' in anime. I don't mind seeing sexy women in movies or whatever..but his movies grind to a halt everytime someone with boobs enters the frame. Everyone has to comment on it, and the plot and comedic timing suffers for the rest of the film. Also, it's like watching my grandpa hit on much younger women as Mel often places himself in roles where he's a ladies man...it's just f'n weird...perhaps it's funny to others, but to me...it's just watching a dirty old man...which can be funny, but for some reason, it's not for me when it comes to him and his movies.

Humor really is hard to write about...who knows why things are funny to one person, and not another? Just not my personal taste really.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:37 pm

The Producers, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein are gold. The holy trinity of Mel Brooks.

It was in the mid-'80s when his stuff went downhill.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:40 am

king_ghidorah wrote:That movie hasn't aged very well...in fact, I don't think I really care for any of Mel Brook's comedies anymore.....too childish for my taste

Raelly? I just got into the Mel Brooks movies last year and I think the man was a genius. I mean, his comedies did not rely on sex jokes and kids trying to get laid for the entire movie like the comedies of today do. His movies were fun and enjoyable. Of the ones I have watched, my top favorites are Young Frankenstein, History of the World, and High Anxiety.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Barnzilla » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:49 am

"The Elephant Man" is the best thing he was involved with.
Barnzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:40 am

Barnzilla wrote:"The Elephant Man" is the best thing he was involved with.

He also produced the 86 version of The Fly which is one of my favorite movies ever...
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:05 am

The Producers, Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, Young Frankenstein, History of the World Part I, High Anxiety.

These are all awesome. For people who are a little pickier...Producers, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and High Anxiety are where it's at. Those four movies are absolute GENIUS.

Let's not forget:
Creator of the original Get Smart series.
Special guest in the original Muppet Movie.
Curb Your Enthusiasm season 4.

Mel Brooks is nothing short of amazing.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:39 pm

The Producers is not on the Blu-Ray collection, which blows since everyone talks about how great it is. I just do not understand why they released this ultimate collection without having all of his movies in it like Producers and Dracula Dead and Loving It.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Dr Kain wrote:The Producers is not on the Blu-Ray collection, which blows since everyone talks about how great it is. I just do not understand why they released this ultimate collection without having all of his movies in it like Producers and Dracula Dead and Loving It.

I do love Dracula Dead and Loving It...it might be one of his lesser movies but I love it
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby gila-monster » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Wow, I must be the only one who likes Space Balls!
gila-monster
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 pm

gila-monster wrote:Wow, I must be the only one who likes Space Balls!

I like the movie, it's defiently one of my favorite Brooks films.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases