Star Wars Blu-rays in the Works

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Star Wars Blu-rays in the Works

Postby Henry88 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:14 pm

Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Star Wars Blu-rays in the Works

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Tell me that they'll have the original, untouched trilogy on there and then I might give a damn.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:21 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:Tell me that they'll have the original, untouched trilogy on there and then I might give a damn.

in a bad mood eh?
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:25 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:Tell me that they'll have the original, untouched trilogy on there and then I might give a damn.

They probably wont. And my fear is that Lucas will most likely tamper with the films yet again in some way and then offer older releases some time later to get fans to double dip and then pull something similar to see if the same fans will triple dip. He certainly had no problem doing it with DVD.

Screw him. He's not getting any more of my money.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:30 pm

.Henry88 wrote:

in a bad mood eh?

Not at all - it's just that these days I've totally written off the franchise apart from the original trilogy and ONLY in its proper, original form. That is the only part of Star Wars that I care about anymore and until they get the respect they deserve I have no intention of paying Lucas any more money. I am perfectly pleased with my bootleg laserdisc rips that the interwebs provided me with.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:32 pm

I want the un tampered versions of the original trilogy along with the updated versions on the same disc. I mean, blu ray certainly has the space to hold both versions on one disc. Throw those in with the new trilogy in a nice box... and I'll buy.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:35 pm

i do not see what is so great about the un tampered versions they are rather bland to me.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:41 pm

.Henry88 wrote:i do not see what is so great about the un tampered versions they are rather bland to me.

I...

... am not even going to bother.

-_-
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:44 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
.Henry88 wrote:i do not see what is so great about the un tampered versions they are rather bland to me.

I...

... am not even going to bother.

-_-

and lest us just leave it at that
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:00 pm

I just want to know how they're so "bland" when the vast majority of the changes are either stupid, pointless, totally arbitrary, or some malicious combination of the three. How do they make the movies SO much different and therefore SO much better?
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:04 pm

And why someone cant appreciate the original versions of these films - the one's that made Star Wars a household name in the first place - is beyond me. CGI didn't make these movies better.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Who cares, they are the same friggin movie!!!

I just want whatever they give us. I definitely consider the 2003 versions that came out on DVD the definitive versions until Lucas says otherwise (he is the creator afterall), but I'll buy whatever comes out on Blu-Ray. If he feels the original versions are the best, then cool, whatever, I don't care.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:38 am

Dr Kain wrote:Who cares, they are the same friggin movie!!!

I just want whatever they give us. I definitely consider the 2003 versions that came out on DVD the definitive versions until Lucas says otherwise (he is the creator afterall), but I'll buy whatever comes out on Blu-Ray. If he feels the original versions are the best, then cool, whatever, I don't care.

so you consider 1080p masters (yes, masters, not transfers), backwards rear channels on the surround tracks, horribly incorrect color timing, artificially crushed blacks, and loads of DNR (so much that they literally erased stars from space!) to be definitive? ok...

Whether you like the current versions or the originals, the current dvds and their source masters are hardly definitive.

As for me, I'll only buy fully restored versions of the original films on bluray. Nothing else is Star Wars to me.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:00 am

Dr Kain wrote:Who cares, they are the same friggin movie!!!

kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby RyanClark » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:31 am

Yeah, although (to my recollection) the changes don't affect any significant parts of the story, it does change some of the events (Han doesn't shoot first, Anakin reverting to his youthful appearance after dying, etc.). As far as I'm concerned personally, some of the changes are cool, though not necessary (a lot of the additions are more or less cool, not the changes such as Han's shooting, etc.). They only truly tolerable IF the untouched originals are offered as well.

I'm gonna guess if the originals are included, they're going to be as standard definition extras. I actually didn't double dip and get the 2-disc re-releases, but weren't they non-anamorphic? That would be a good indication right there we won't be seeing them in high def, in my opinion.

Then again I'm just a casual Star Wars fan, what do I know?
RyanClark
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:31 am

RyanClark wrote:

Yeah, although (to my recollection) the changes don't affect any significant parts of the story, it does change some of the events (Han doesn't shoot first, Anakin reverting to his youthful appearance after dying, etc.). As far as I'm concerned personally, some of the changes are cool, though not necessary (a lot of the additions are more or less cool, not the changes such as Han's shooting, etc.). They only truly tolerable IF the untouched originals are offered as well.

I'm gonna guess if the originals are included, they're going to be as standard definition extras. I actually didn't double dip and get the 2-disc re-releases, but weren't they non-anamorphic? That would be a good indication right there we won't be seeing them in high def, in my opinion.

Then again I'm just a casual Star Wars fan, what do I know?

Yeah the un-altered versions are non anamorphic versions in fact I think they are 4:3 too. :?
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:29 am

I don't even care about these mainly because of the fact that Lucus has been screwing SW fans over for years with empty promises and reissue after reissue of the same junk and I do not consider myself a fan, if I was one I would probably be ripping my hair out.

I'll give them a rent and maybe get them used later on down the road but Lucus will never see another dime from me.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:24 am

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:Yeah the un-altered versions are non anamorphic versions in fact I think they are 4:3 too. :?

The "bonus" disc theatrical versions from 2006 are non-anamorphic letterboxed widescreen sourced from the 1993 laserdisc masters. They're basically official laserdisc bootlegs, but they are at least sourced from the masters so there's one less generation of loss.

One (the only?) saving grace about those is that they actually did include the original 1977 crawl for Star Wars, before "Episode IV A New Hope" was added in 1981. This is the first and only time that the orginal crawl has been officially available on any home video format. And it's interesting to note that this crawl appears to be newly mastered from somewhere as it is much sharper and doesn't suffer from any apparent DVNR like the rest of the film (which has major DVNR issues that were introduced during the remastering for the laserdisc.) This newly mastered segment lasts all the way through the first flyby of the Tantive IV and the Stardestroyer. When the shot cuts to another angle for the first time is when it reverts to the laserdisc master & there is an obvious loss in picture quality right there.

This is all really interesting b/c it points to the notion that, whether Lucas really did allow the negatives to be permanently altered during production of the SEs like he claims or not, he's obviously got SOME source to makea decent copy of the original crawl.... That would imply he's probably got the rest of the originals locked away somewhere too...

Not to mention that through many discussions over at originaltrilogy.com, I've come to believe (along with many others) that even if the negatives are gone for good, between the BFI, the Library of Congress, and several other sources there are reference quality prints of the originals out there from which a full restoration could generate very nice 4k or 8k masters. It might not be as good as being able to go back to the negatives, but it can be done (things like that HAVE been done for other films). It's just the stubbornness of one man preventing it...

I think a lot of the angerness/bitterness towards Lucas and dissent between fans would disappear if he'd just keep the orginals restored and available in the highest quality alongside his "definitive" versions. I certainly don't hate the guy (he DID create star wars and indiana jones after all...) but I do resent his treatment of these films. I just want to be able to watch the versions of movies that literally changed the world, just like I can with pretty much any other landmark movie out there. It makes me cringe to think that the very creator of possibly the biggest pop culture movement ever would let the very things that started that movement (and put him on the path to becoming a billionaire) rot and die. Especially when he himself is a film conservationist (right! :roll: ).

If anyone's interested, there is a new petition to have the original versions of the original trilogy fully restored and included on any bluray release over at originaltrilogy.com.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:53 pm

I also want to own the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL versions of the films that I saw FOR THE FIRST TIME in their MAIDEN RELEASES. I don't care about the 1997, 2003, etc. versions, because that's not how the films were originally conceived.

For the people who have a hard understanding why we care so much, let's break it down this way, it's like all that's available is the Raymond Burr version of GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS, and Toho won't let issue the original GOJIRA on DVD. The 1954 version is forbidden, because they just want us to see the "updated" and "improved" 1956 version -- or any other Japanese versions of the G-Films. If you can understand this analogy, I think you can see where we are coming from.
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:07 pm

RyanClark wrote:(Han doesn't shoot first,

That still has no effect on the movie's plot.

Anakin reverting to his youthful appearance after dying,

It symbolizes his redemption. He became Vader young, and since he was 90% machine, he should not have aged at all. Still, it had no bearing on the movie itself.

August, your analogy is moot because there is a difference. Toho did NOT add Raymond Burr into the movie, the ones that brought it to the US did. George Lucas is the author and creator of Star Wars, therefore, it is his right to change it until he feels he has made it right. It would be a different situtation if Lucas' son were to be the one who added footage, but not George himself.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

actually...

Postby Xenorama » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:18 pm

Han shooting first does have an effect on his character. in Star Wars, he goes from a rather cold blooded calculating murderer to a hero. trying to make him a "good guy" right away takes away from his transition to said hero, coming back to save Luke. since we have registered throughout the entire movie he's only in it for the reward, his change of heart gives us something to cheer about.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby August » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:51 pm

My point is not moot "Dr. Kain", so don't even try to pull the semantics game with me. I never said that Lucas didn't have a right to do what he wants with his films, so don't even go down that road, either. I'm much older than you, with much more life experience, and I'm not an idiot, so don't EVEN disrespect me like that, son.

I said nothing negative about George Lucas. Or anything negative about any of the re-dos. Also, I've been invited to speak at Skywalker Ranch about Eiji Tsuburaya, spent the whole day getting a personal tour of everything, and have been invited back just to "have lunch and hang out". So, I don't bare any malice towards what Lucas wants to do with his child.

But, at the same time, I have a right to my wish for the Original Trilogy in their original versions:

"I also want to own the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL versions of the films that I saw FOR THE FIRST TIME in their MAIDEN RELEASES. I don't care about the 1997, 2003, etc. versions, because that's not how the films were originally conceived."

Nothing negative said or implied. That's my wish, and I have a damn right to it. I could care less if you don't like it. And my analogy still holds. It's about suppressing original versions of films, no matter who owns them or alters them. In fact, Toho authorized all of the changes to GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS. Obviously, you didn't know that.

BTW, Han shot first.
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Don't even bother, August. We all know Kain lives in the Negaverse. There's no point in getting upset.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:12 pm

I agree with you guys I do think the original unaltered versions should be added to the BD releases. I just want them anamorphic this time.

For the record I don't mind the edits since that's what got me into SWs in the first place but for someone who grew up on them yeah I can understand them wanting those prints on.

It's sort of like me hoping that Shout! Gamera releases will have the SF Dubbs because those are the versions I watched to get into Gamera for the other fans who grew up on the AIP dubs they deserve to have those included as well.

OT: August I got my answer about the Piranha BD from Shout! it's been delayed to August to cash in on the remake film. The same with the Corman DVD releases.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby gojira_fan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:03 pm

:th-up:

:clap:
gojira_fan
Godzilla

Next

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases