Films unreleased on DVD and their rights holders

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Films unreleased on DVD and their rights holders

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Specium Ray wrote:
O.Supreme wrote:So..now we have Funimations release of Shin Godzlla on BRD/DVD. The fact that it is apparently selling very well gives me hope.

Sony Pictures bought Funimation last week. Maybe those Sony transfers could make their way back to the market.

It would be cool if Funimation wanted to re-release any of Sony's Godzilla titles on BRD. I would love to have new editions of GMK or Tokyo SOS with English subtitles that accurately reflected the spoken Japanese dialogue.

I don't think it's likely to happen, though. Sony just put all of their Godzilla titles on BRD three years ago when G'14 came out. They released all five of their Heisei films, all six Millennium entries, and even the Mothra trilogy. I don't know any sales figures for those discs but they probably sold relatively well considering how The Return of Godzilla and now Shin Godzilla have shot up the Amazon sales charts in the time since then. I actually got Sony's first four double-feature Godzilla BRDs in May 2014 at a Walmart where they were prominently displayed on the new-release rack near the express checkout lane. The market for those titles on BRD has largely been quenched. Consumers who want Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla on a dual-language BRD can own it right now in a set with Mechagodzilla '93, and only hardcore Godzilla fans like us would double-dip for another BRD of Spacegodzilla just because it had a different, more accurate subtitle track.

The only way I can see something like this happening is if Funimation decides to produce some budget-minded, multi-film BRD sets, like the ones Sony recently released on DVD, or like Mill Creek's BRDs of the Showa Gamera films. If Funimation wants to release a couple of new BRD sets that include two to four Sony-owned Godzilla movies per disc, like a "Heisei Collection" and a "Millennium Collection" that just recycle Sony's existing HD transfers and include only the Japanese audio and newly-translated, accurate English subtitle scripts, they could market those as budget-priced items for people who don't own the movies on BRD yet as well as collector's items for fans who will double-dip for accurate subtitles.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:45 am

Pretty sure they were talking about the Sony transfers that haven't made it to BD yet, like Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla '74 and Son of Godzilla. Sony may have let the home video rights lapse, but I bet they've got immaculate HD masters for those two much like how Kraken was apparently able to use the beautiful Sony transfers for Gigan, Sea Monster, and Smog Monster.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Oh.

Kraken's Sea Monster, Hedorah, and Gigan discs did include the 2004 Sony transfers but Kraken actually got those HD elements directly from Toho according to SciFi Japan. Sony wouldn't have had any reason to keep their materials for those films after they decided to let their licenses expire without renewing them. They probably returned everything to Toho, which explains how Toho ended up providing those same transfers to Kraken, so Toho probably has Sony's transfers for Mechagodzilla and Son of Godzilla as well. It would be great if Funimation were to license those two films and release those high-quality transfers on BRD but that could theoretically happen with Kraken or Shout! Factory or any other studio that wants to go for it... except Media Blasters.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:16 am

I have a feeling that Kraken has Son of Godzilla and MG74 they did say in the Sci-fi Japan interview last year they have some stuff in the works but can't annouce it yet. So those two would be the most logical choice. Either that or Orochii.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 am

canofhumdingers wrote:Pretty sure they were talking about the Sony transfers that haven't made it to BD yet, like Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla '74 and Son of Godzilla. Sony may have let the home video rights lapse, but I bet they've got immaculate HD masters for those two much like how Kraken was apparently able to use the beautiful Sony transfers for Gigan, Sea Monster, and Smog Monster.
I believe those two licenses (Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla '74 and Son of Godzilla) have been acquired by Criterion.
Gojira69
Baby Godzilla

Previous

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases