Media Blasters 2006-2007 Release News

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby ultrase7en » Thu May 24, 2007 4:32 pm

Thanks for the info Keith. It's unfortunate that the extra footage will not be in the film, however I am glad that Media Blasters put forth the extra effort to recreate the AIP version as best they could. I definately cannot wait for this to be released. :)
ultrase7en
Godzilla Egg

Postby Baradagi » Thu May 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Does anyone know if the footage of Frankenstein going berserk is intact in the the cropped AIP version found on 'Toho SFX Gigantic Creatures DVD Box' released earlier this year?
Baradagi
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Zack Metoyer » Thu May 24, 2007 5:07 pm

So are you guys telling me if I buy this DVD, I can't view Frankenstein trashing the police cars and bending the rubber streetlight as part of the film like I always have?
Zack Metoyer
Godzilla

Postby Lord Hastur » Thu May 24, 2007 5:08 pm

And another question:

Has Media Blasters looked in to offering these Toho titles on their own website maybe?? I think all of their releases ROCK, (Even more superior to Classic Media stuff) but the discs once released are kinda tough to find in retail stores around here. Keith, awhile back you said that Media Blasters realized this so do you have any insight on their plans for buying directly from them ??
Lord Hastur

Postby kpa » Thu May 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Zack Metoyer wrote:So are you guys telling me if I buy this DVD, I can't view Frankenstein trashing the police cars and bending the rubber streetlight as part of the film like I always have?

As I said 3-4 posts back, "The "more violent" Frankenstein shots from the AIP release are not in the US version on the MB DVD. They are included as part of a deleted scenes extra feature, but are fullscreen and the video quality is poor."

I don't know how much more clear I can make it for you.

Lord Hastur wrote:And another question:

Has Media Blasters looked in to offering these Toho titles on their own website maybe?? I think all of their releases ROCK, (Even more superior to Classic Media stuff) but the discs once released are kinda tough to find in retail stores around here. Keith, awhile back you said that Media Blasters realized this so do you have any insight on their plans for buying directly from them ??

They haven't said anything to me about a website store. I'll try to remember to ask them the next time we talk.

In any case, Amazon (and I'm sure other retailers) carry all the Media Blasters titles so you can always get them online.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Zack Metoyer » Thu May 24, 2007 5:41 pm

kpa wrote:As I said 3-4 posts back, "The "more violent" Frankenstein shots from the AIP release are not in the US version on the MB DVD. They are included as part of a deleted scenes extra feature, but are fullscreen and the video quality is poor."

Well, for starters, you can stop referring to the version on the disc as the US version. :shock:

These guys are incompetent, plain and simple. I know they sent you a free DVD and all, but come on. Movie critics get free showings and they don't suck up as bad as you.

I know, I know. You want to keep your close contacts, and everyone here appreciates it. But sometimes I think these companies actually have you brainwashed.
Last edited by Zack Metoyer on Thu May 24, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zack Metoyer
Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu May 24, 2007 5:53 pm

Zack Metoyer wrote:
kpa wrote:As I said 3-4 posts back, "The "more violent" Frankenstein shots from the AIP release are not in the US version on the MB DVD. They are included as part of a deleted scenes extra feature, but are fullscreen and the video quality is poor."

Well, for starters, you can stop referring to the version on the disc as the AIP release. :shock:

These guys are incompetent, plain and simple. I know they sent you a free DVD and all, but come on. Movie critics get free showings and they don't suck up as bad as you.

I know, I know. You want to keep your close contacts, and everyone here appreciates it. But sometimes I think these companies actually have you brainwashed.

Whew. Well that was a little nasty now, wasn't it?

Who is incompetant? The guys at MB? Please.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Thu May 24, 2007 5:55 pm

Sounds like Media Blasters has done just about everything possible to ensure that this release is as complete as it can be. Sure it'd be nice to have these 'more violent' scenes back in the AIP version as they were originally - and maybe some future release will be able to do that if better quality print[s] is ever found.

So in the mean time, making these 'more violent' scenes still available as extras [despite being in bad shape and coming from a Pan & Scan source print] seems the best way to do things.

I'll readily fess up to wanting a movie in it's proper/original aspect ratio but I'm more than willing to cut a company some slack when there's a good reason why a movie isn't/can't be in it's proper aspect ratio. And when a source is too badly damaged and/or is pan & scan only seems like a mighty good reason to me.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Zack Metoyer » Thu May 24, 2007 5:56 pm

Legion wrote:Who is incompetant? The guys at MB? Please.

How are they NOT incompetent? They clearly had access to the proper materials, as seen by the AIP logo at the beginning. But for some reason, they failed with the rest of the film.
Last edited by Zack Metoyer on Thu May 24, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zack Metoyer
Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu May 24, 2007 6:01 pm

Zack Metoyer wrote:
Legion wrote:Who is incompetant? The guys at MB? Please.

How are they NOT incompetent? They clearly had access to the proper materials, as seen by the AIP logo at the beginning. But for some reason, they failed with the rest of the film.

You know what absolutely pisses me off around here. The fact that everyone spends years complaining that they're tired of not having a copy of this film on DVD, that the only copy that's widely available is a pan-and-scan faded version with computer added credits. Then we get MB's version, which seems to have a few flaws but looks great, and has a bunch of extras including a translated audio commentary and the octopus scene, and includes the Japanese audio. AND people still complain. Just pisses me off to no end.

I'm going to buy this DVD and I'm going to enjoy it. Just like I'm going to enjoy CM's Monster Zero disc, even if its (GASP!) cropped incorrectly during a one minute opening credits sequence.

Give me a break.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Thu May 24, 2007 6:05 pm

The MZ credits aren't even cropped!
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu May 24, 2007 6:07 pm

Joseph Goodman wrote:The MZ credits aren't even cropped!

Oh, then it's even less of a problem than I thought it was. :lol:

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ultrase7en » Thu May 24, 2007 6:15 pm

Media Blasters may not have the original negative or print of the US version in the proper OAR. Based on previous posts and press releases, Media Blasters was going to use the English language, 16x9 HD version that Toho released earlier this year in a boxset. That version has the US opening titles and captions, however it did not have the additional 'violent' scenes that were part of the original AIP US release. Now I am assuming here, it sounds like they used the opening from the 16x9 English language version and then syched the audio to the Japanese print (inserting the English captions as needed). If that is the case, then Media Blaster did put forth extra effort to recreate the US version as best as possible. Regardless, I am still excited to be getting one of my favorite films on dvd in so many different versions.
ultrase7en
Godzilla Egg

Postby Legion » Thu May 24, 2007 6:19 pm

ultrase7en wrote:Media Blasters may not have the original negative or print of the US version in the proper OAR. Based on previous posts and press releases, Media Blasters was going to use the English language, 16x9 HD version that Toho released earlier this year in a boxset. That version has the US opening titles and captions, however it did not have the additional 'violent' scenes that were part of the original AIP US release. Now I am assuming here, it sounds like they used the opening from the 16x9 English language version and then syched the audio to the Japanese print (inserting the English captions as needed). If that is the case, then Media Blaster did put forth extra effort to recreate the US version as best as possible. Regardless, I am still excited to be getting one of my favorite films on dvd in so many different versions.

HEAR HEAR!!!

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Lord Hastur » Thu May 24, 2007 6:23 pm

:? I can't figure out how anybody would be disappointed with what we are getting here. SOLD!!
Lord Hastur

Postby Zack Metoyer » Thu May 24, 2007 8:13 pm

Lord Hastur wrote::? I can't figure out how anybody would be disappointed with what we are getting here. SOLD!!

I'm just baffled as to why anyone would want a butchered copy of the U.S. version. Hell if they were gonna do it this way, they may as well have just made it one disc and had the dub overlayed over the Japanese print.

Instead, they put what is essentially the same cut of the film on two discs... THREE TIMES!
Zack Metoyer
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu May 24, 2007 8:40 pm

Zack Metoyer wrote:
Lord Hastur wrote::? I can't figure out how anybody would be disappointed with what we are getting here. SOLD!!

I'm just baffled as to why anyone would want a butchered copy of the U.S. version. Hell if they were gonna do it this way, they may as well have just made it one disc and had the dub overlayed over the Japanese print.

Instead, they put what is essentially the same cut of the film on two discs... THREE TIMES!

For once I agree with the so called "nitpickers." This is just dumb. If they are just gonna NOT have all the scenes that only made the US cut and just put the voiceover with the Japanese cut, why include a 2nd disc to begin with? And then having those in the "deleted scenes" feature, as a cropped mess? Lame.

I'll still get it to have a good quality copy of the Japanese version on DVD and for the commentary track, but my god, what were they thinking? The thing I was looking forward to most was having a good quality DVD of the US version, not the Japanese version with the US audio track going over it (speaking of which, that doesn't make sense anyway... wouldn't it be out of sync?)

Hopefully they'll treat Latitude Zero better and more like their prior Toho releases...
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby brianc » Thu May 24, 2007 10:22 pm

This "purist" is actually pleased from what I've heard. As much as I want an accurate record of the original US release, having a seamless English version (i.e. no evidence of de facto tampering) in the proper aspect ratio works for me too. This is much like the situation with Destroy All Monters where a certain 'fan edit' synchs the Titra dub to an uncut version of the film.

Replacing the 'angry' Franky US scenes with the original Japanese ones are OK as they make the film closer to its' original version and can be reinserted seamlessly. Pulling an "Anchor Bay" and inserting deleted dialog scenes in Japanese with subtitles would violate the seamless thing.

One FCtW litmus test for purists these days is to ask what MGM would do if they retained these rights from the AIP catalog. In the cases of Journey to the Seventh Planet and Count Yorga Vampire they went back to prints that represented the film prior to AIP meddling. With Planet of the Vampires they had to create a hybrid version that reflected the American version while incorporating footage originally deleted fron the original.

Regarding Latitude Zero all will be OK as long as MB includes the English Language International Version. I'll miss the National General opening logo and could do without some of the restored scenes but ultimately we're better off.

Brian C.
brianc
Godzillasaurus

Postby brianc » Thu May 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Baradagi wrote:Does anyone know if the footage of Frankenstein going berserk is intact in the the cropped AIP version found on 'Toho SFX Gigantic Creatures DVD Box' released earlier this year?

I would assume yes as it was probably made from the Monsters HD tranfer circa 2003, which limited CM to US prints at the time.

BTW Baradagi I apologize for being way overdue on replying to your last private message. I'll rectify this shortly.

Brian C.
brianc
Godzillasaurus

Postby Baradagi » Fri May 25, 2007 12:25 am

Legion wrote:
Who is incompetant? The guys at MB? Please.

Actually, Media Blasters are known for having a HORRIBLE quality control issue, at least in their Shriek Show department. You can find dozens of threads on the horror DVD forums complaining about their releases such as missing footage, incorrect aspect ratios, faulty discs, etc. DVD Maniacs won't even review their discs anymore!
Baradagi
Godzilla Jr.

Journey?

Postby Xenorama » Fri May 25, 2007 12:26 am

brianc wrote:
One FCtW litmus test for purists these days is to ask what MGM would do if they retained these rights from the AIP catalog. In the cases of Journey to the Seventh Planet and Count Yorga Vampire they went back to prints that represented the film prior to AIP meddling.

i have the JOURNEY disc, and it's exactly the same print as i saw several times on TV in the 70s, AIP "meddling" and all- what was it that is supposed to be changed? i'm curious- i know AIP made Danforth change his first animated monster to the cyclops beast, but there was other stuff?

i'm looking forward to dubbed Frankie.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby kpa » Fri May 25, 2007 1:11 am

Zack Metoyer wrote:

Well, for starters, you can stop referring to the version on the disc as the US version. :shock:

In response to requests here I checked the intertitles and looked for the scenes where Frankenstein is more agressive, and I just reported exactly what was on the DVD. You're the one who couldn't understand a simple sentence about the footage being on the DVD but not in the film, and that's not my problem.

As for calling it the US version, it has the US credits and dub track. I've checked portions of the DVD against my VHS copy of the AIP version, and except for the 30 seconds or so of footage, the two edits match; this is not just the Japanese print with an English audio track. It's the US version to me, and I find it silly that anyone would say otherwise... particularly someone who hasn't even seen a second of the DVD yet.

These guys are incompetent, plain and simple.

Of course, because all the time you spent at Media Blasters gathering firsthand knowledge of the DVD production gave you such great insight... :roll:

I know they sent you a free DVD and all, but come on. Movie critics get free showings and they don't suck up as bad as you.

Ah, the idiotic "I disagree with you so that means your opinion must have been bought" claim. As others have pointed out before, I've written negative reviews of DVDs or movies from people I know or that I've gotten for free. My integrity is worth a lot more than some free DVDs or movie passes.

I give my honest opinion and try to be as accurate with the facts as possible. That includes being the first to post info or links about CM's GODZILLA VS THE THING being cropped, or that the the retail of GRA and MvsG being delayed, or that the footage is missing from FCTW...hardly the biased cheerleading you're claiming here. Nice try, though. :lol:

Call me crazy, but I find it more effective way to contact the companies and make suggestions rather than complaining to other fans on a message board. Most of the companies have contact info on their websites so anyone can do it, and if the companies get enough feedback they will listen. I realize you prefer to post here about how you'll cry if the wrong title card is used, but if you actually want the DVDs to be more to your liking it wouldn't hurt to say something to the people who actually make the DVDs.

I know, I know.

Yes, yes... I think everyone here has a good idea of how much you "know".

You want to keep your close contacts, and everyone here appreciates it. But sometimes I think these companies actually have you brainwashed.

If companies couldn't handle bad reviews they wouldn't send out advance copies or have press screenings. I don't want and don't need to kiss up or lie about anything; if I did that I doubt anyone would care about anything I've said for the past for years (I certainly wouldn't listen to somebody who's just a shill). I've written negative reviews before and will do so again... I just know that I can criticize a product without crying or insulting the people involved.

I also look at things realistically. I'd love to see absolutely perfect DVDs of all the Toho films, with pristine prints and extras for both versions. But I've spoken with Toho and the US distributors, and I've tried to track to prints and materials for festivals and I know that a lot of the material is long gone. For a recent, big studio release like SPIDER-MAN I absolutely expect the DVD to have optimal picture and sound, plus a ton of extra features because the movie is new and the DVD will be released by the studio that made the film so they have access to everything. That's not the case with the old American versions of the Toho movies.

The reality is that most of the Toho movies were originally distributed in the US by companies that are no longer in business. The rights and materials have changed hands more than once over the decades, and elements have been lost or destroyed. The current DVD distributors like Media Blasters, Classic Media, Discotek, or ADV didn't even exist when these movies were first released so it's not like they automatically have access to the original materials. They are licensing the films from a foreign studio that has its own rules and conditions, and doesn't own the elements for many of the American versions. Plus, everything on the DVD has to be cleared by lawyers in Japan and the US... and everything has to be done in a way that makes the DVD profitable at $15-20 SRP. Like it or not, this is a business and these companies need to make a profit.

Knowing all the problems that can and will come along, I'm very happy that some DVD companies are making an extra effort for titles that aren't going to sell like new Hollywood blockbusters. Probably the best Toho DVD release to date would be Criterion's latest version of SEVEN SAMURAI. It's also their 4th or 5th video release of that title, took years to put together, retails for around $50, and still doesn't come with the original English dubbed version shown in America. That doesn't make Criterion incompetent, and it doesn't mean SEVEN SAMURAI isn't worth buying.

For many years I've had a very nice copy of the AIP FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD that was transferred from 16mm TV print. Obviously it was pan & scan, but it looked better than any other VHS copy I've seen. The Media Blasters DVD makes what I have look like mud. It's not perfect, but it's by far the best I've ever seen the US version look, and that's in addition to both Japanese versions, trailers, the stills, and Arikawa's commentary. I'm disappointed that the few shots aren't there, but I agree with most of the others who have posted today that its a small flaw in one of-- if not the-- best Region 1 Toho kaiju DVDs to date.

You have no idea what Media Blasters "clearly had" or not., but not knowing the facts while throwing out insults and accustations seems to be a pattern with you. I guess if you've got a gift for something you should stick with it. :lol:

Media Blasters' original plan was to just have the material from Toho's R2 disc. They decided to do more and they searched for a usable copy of the US version. Media Blasters got the 1.78:1 version from Monsters HD and felt it wasn't good enough. In the end, they came up with a great looking 2.35:1 version with the original AIP credits, titles, and dubbing.

I seriously doubt they cut the scenes from the film because that would also require that the audio be adjusted to stay in synch. That's more work for no good reason. Ultrase7en posted that the FCTW shown on Monsters HD "did not have the additional 'violent' scenes". More than likely Media Blasters' version came from the same source and would never have had those scenes, so they certainly can't include it on the DVD despite what you guessed they "clearly had" or not.

I can completely understand being disappointed that the scenes aren't included, but all the name calling and jumping to wrong conclusions about all the things you "know" says a lot more about you than it does about the people at Media Blasters.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:52 am

Owned.

Though the similar HOST discussion was more entertaining. :lol:

I'm just looking forward to replacing my friendly copy of this movie with this awesome-looking, legit, R1 package! Like most of these movies, I have little attachment to any of the dubs outside of KotM, GvsG, and GvsMG74 (all of which are nicely preserved :)), so I'll mostly just stick to the Japanese version anyway.

STILL have to pick up Dogora and Space Amoeba, though... >>
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Zack Metoyer » Fri May 25, 2007 10:51 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:Owned.

Of course I'm owned.

I'm owned because my rants stem from one thing: jealousy.

That's right I'm jealous of Keith.

The guy gets a free set of coasters in the mail and I don't get jack.

I don't know how much longer my coffee table can take the abuse.
Zack Metoyer
Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Fri May 25, 2007 12:29 pm

Zack Metoyer wrote:Of course I'm owned.

I'm owned because my rants stem from one thing: jealousy.

Admission is the first step to recovery.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases