Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North Ameri

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 am

Jinzo Ningen wrote:Frankly, if these Mill Creek Blu-rays make it to market without the beloved Titra dubs then I flat-out call "too lazy, too cheap or too in a hurry to rush them out and grab some cash".
Mill Creek is the same company that puts out those "100 Sci-Fi Movie" public domain releases, so even though they've actually put out some quality stuff (like their Heisei Gamera releases) they're not really going to go to a lot of EXTRA effort on something. Especially a niche title like Ultra-whatever.

Dr Kain wrote:3. Your entire post is coming off as nothing more than entitlement.


Dr Kain wrote:Well Amazon FINALLY charged me. They said it will arrive between July 17th and 20th. -_- "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" you Amazon!


Image
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18859
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 am

Dr Kain wrote:
Jinzo Ningen wrote:Frankly, if these Mill Creek Blu-rays make it to market without the beloved Titra dubs then I flat-out call "too lazy, too cheap or too in a hurry to rush them out and grab some cash".


1. You need to take the nostalgia goggles off. Not having the dub on there is not lazy, but sensible. I see no reason to compromise audio and video quality for a dub just because that's the version you grew up with.

2. August has already confirmed that Mill Creek does NOT have the license for the dub because Tsuburaya has to license the dub from MGM.

3. Your entire post is coming off as nothing more than entitlement.


NOSTALGIA!? Where do you think that the VAST MAJORITY of sales from UM '66 will come from? Hello!?! McFly?!? Guys want to see/collect a show they grew up with... that finally has decent video quality - only to discover that it does NOT have the dubs (which event the inferior crap DVDs had)?!? Think most of these customers won't be PO'd, Kain? Those who have no issue with watching subbed stuff are the minority. We take it for granted. My point is NOT clinging to nostalgia; it's that if you're going to make the effort to release something then do it RIGHT, not half-assed. We already got a heaping helping of meddling shoddiness from Chaiyo, and my butt still hurts. But once again it was a take it or leave it situation. Now that the property is actually in the hands of its rightful creators I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect a first class top-shelf treatment ...and that means including the Titra/Titan dubs. The money invested in obtaining and cleaning up them up will translate into far MORE sales from the unwashed masses if they include what most North American fans here expect. Most viewers refuse to 'read' shows, like it or not. If they don't, then like I said, it all comes down to slothfulness and/or cheapskating. Mill Creek has had some great stuff, but their batting average hardly gives me a warm fuzzy about what we'll get. But that doesn't mean I'm not hopeful and keeping my fingers crossed. If there are no dubs then I'll simply pass and start buying with UltraSeven, and the remaining releases s they come down the pike.

Lastly... so MY post came off as entitlement?!? Coming from the crown prince of fit throwers I guess that's a compliment? I was coming off a double shift and was dragging when I posted so I admit I probably should've held off trying to form coherent thoughts until I'd had some rest; not that it would've changed my opinion that much. What's YOUR excuse? :lol:
User avatar
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:47 am
Location: Standing @ The Crossroads

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 am

kpa wrote:I am pleased to announce -- and honored to be working with Mill Creek on -- the first Tsuburaya Productions approved Blu-ray, DVD and streaming release of the ULTRAMAN film and TV library in North America! Over 1100 episodes and 20 movies!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2019 ... h-america/


This is absolutely fantastic!

It took 13 years after BCI first put Chaiyo-licensed Ultraman DVDs on the market before another company stepped up to work with TPC directly, and how appropriate that it would be Mill Creek. After BCI folded, it was Mill Creek that acquired their catalog and flooded bargain bins with their $5, 4-disc Ultraman complete series DVD set. That was why we all feared the worst when Mill Creek announced they would be releasing the Gamera trilogy on BRD, but after those releases, their Showa Gamera BRDs, the Daimajin trilogy and now the original Mothra, Mill Creek has built a reputation as a reliable source of quality toku BRD releases in North America.

I'll definitely be getting that Ultra Q BRD set! I've wanted to see that show for so many years now and I never bought Shout! Factory's pricey and Chaiyo-licensed DVD set. I know that S!F used to have the show available to stream on their shoutfactorytv.com website but I don't like watching shows or movies on the computer and they don't have a streaming video application for consoles like the PS4, so I never watched it. As a fan of Japanese monsters as well as anthology sci-fi shows like The Twilight Zone, I think Ultra Q would be right up my alley.

I bought cheap used copies of BCI's Ultraman Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 sets back in 2010. I tried to get into it but I didn't get past the first disc of Vol. 1 before I stopped watching and I never got around to Vol. 2. The show just didn't captivate me at age 21 but I'd be willing to give it another shot. Barrett Evans mentioned in that article that Mill Creek plans to bring the Ultraman catalog to streaming video outlets. I'd like to sample the various Ultra series via streaming services like Hulu or Netflix instead of blind-buying a bunch of shows that I've never seen.

It's funny, as much as I love American superheroes like Batman and Spider-Man, Japanese superheroes like Ultraman have just never gripped me even though I've always been more interested in Japanese monsters than American monsters. However, I did really like the 2004 series Ultraman Nexus when I watched it subtitled back in 2005/2006. I would totally buy an Ultraman Nexus BRD set from Mill Creek.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5317
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:42 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:3. Your entire post is coming off as nothing more than entitlement.


Dr Kain wrote:Well Amazon FINALLY charged me. They said it will arrive between July 17th and 20th. -_- "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" you Amazon!




I know what I said came off entitled and you are damn right I'm going to be entitled when something I buy is not in my hands on the day of release like it was advertised to be.

However, saying you're not going to buy a set just because it doesn't have a "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" ass English dub on it, or complaining because "$50 is too expensive," is not the same thing.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11408
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:45 am

Jinzo Ningen wrote:NOSTALGIA!? Where do you think that the VAST MAJORITY of sales from UM '66 will come from? Hello!?! McFly?!? Guys want to see/collect a show they grew up with... that finally has decent video quality - only to discover that it does NOT have the dubs (which event the inferior crap DVDs had)?!? Think most of these customers won't be PO'd, Kain? Those who have no issue with watching subbed stuff are the minority. We take it for granted. My point is NOT clinging to nostalgia; it's that if you're going to make the effort to release something then do it RIGHT, not half-assed. We already got a heaping helping of meddling shoddiness from Chaiyo, and my butt still hurts. But once again it was a take it or leave it situation. Now that the property is actually in the hands of its rightful creators I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect a first class top-shelf treatment ...and that means including the Titra/Titan dubs. The money invested in obtaining and cleaning up them up will translate into far MORE sales from the unwashed masses if they include what most North American fans here expect. Most viewers refuse to 'read' shows, like it or not. If they don't, then like I said, it all comes down to slothfulness and/or cheapskating. Mill Creek has had some great stuff, but their batting average hardly gives me a warm fuzzy about what we'll get. But that doesn't mean I'm not hopeful and keeping my fingers crossed. If there are no dubs then I'll simply pass and start buying with UltraSeven, and the remaining releases s they come down the pike.


So you're not going to support the show just because it doesn't have the "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" ass dub? Even though it's NOT Mill Creek's fault the dub won't be included?

Frankly, we should just be happy something like this is happening at all and support it no matter what.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11408
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 am

I'm so freaking pumped. I wonder if the movies will be bundled with their associated shows or sold separately?
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15232
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby H-Man » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:55 am

Dr Kain wrote:However, saying you're not going to buy a set just because it doesn't have a "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" ass English dub on it, or complaining because "$50 is too expensive," is not the same thing.


Sure it is. Just because you don’t prioritize the English version doesn’t mean others don’t or shouldn’t.

What is the purpose of buying entertainment like this? To be entertained. There are some who would be significantly less entertained by not having the English option.

Furthermore there are people who enjoy these shows but not to the tune of $50. I guess they don’t have a right to complain. Incidentally this is the exact same thing as your complaints about the preorder price of Mothra on Amazon Prime, a service you didn’t enjoy paying for.
User avatar
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 am

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:24 pm

H-Man wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:However, saying you're not going to buy a set just because it doesn't have a "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" ass English dub on it, or complaining because "$50 is too expensive," is not the same thing.


Sure it is. Just because you don’t prioritize the English version doesn’t mean others don’t or shouldn’t.

What is the purpose of buying entertainment like this? To be entertained. There are some who would be significantly less entertained by not having the English option.
.


We as Toku fans don't get the luxury of being picky.

Also, as stated already, neither Mill Creek nor Tsuburaya have the rights to the English dub, so you're SOL on that area. That shouldn't stop you from supporting an official Blu-Ray release as it could hinder more series from being released. Just look at Sentai. Shout! Factory hasn't put out any other series due to poor sale of the last few releases. I also have no idea what the hell is going on with Garo and Kraken Releasing as they to have just suddenly stopped without finishing Kouga's story.

Furthermore, $50 is barely $1 an episode. Hell, that's also the SRP, so when stores actually carry the thing, it's going to be more like $35. That's actually less than $1 per episode for the original Ultraman show. Not to mention the regular edition is $40, so that will probably be about $28. There are anime series that cost twice that amount for 13 episodes.
Last edited by Dr Kain on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11408
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Jinzo Ningen, I agree with parts of your sentiment, after all, I am extremely attached to the English dub as well. I mean, I spent way too much money, back in the 90's on nth generation bootleg VHS copies just to watch this show. While I would Love 3000X for the Mill Creek BRD set to have the English Dub, I accept it's not there, even if I don't fully understand why, and it's also the reason why I am (as mentioned previously) keeping my Navarre sets from almost 15 years ago. Also, contrary to popular belief, the video presentation on those is not terrible. I can't comment on MC Budget release from 2009 because I never purchased it, except to wonder.... If they had access to the dub back then...why not now? Perhaps it was part of their agreement with TPC?

At any rate, I'm supporting this new release because it will lead to many other series and films being released. Like I said, I still have those other sets I cherish, nothing can take those away. But again, when compared to Paying well over $100 in 1992 for VHS copies (that had been copied from Betamax to VHS and degraded tenfold) , as opposed to 27 years later getting a pristine BRD set for $40, (which btw costs something like $400 in Japan), I'll take that deal.

I also recognize your concern about those who haven't seen Ultraman since it went off the US airwaves 35+ years ago. Sure some will want to see it the way they remembered it. I would imagine the MC set from 2009, especially being so economically priced would have scratched that itch for many. I mean i saw it at walmart, so I have to believe it was a fairly wide release for such a niche title. But again it all comes down to educating the fans. Even though the specs are clear on sites like Amazon, don't be afraid to reiterate it on social media as well. Heck that MC set from 2009 is still available, in many places for anywhere from $5-$10 .

Maybe if MC is sitting on a mountain of these old sets, maybe they can offer it as a *free bonus* or something. Think of it like DLC for a video game. :wink: , ok maybe that's not the right comparison, and it is a bit of a pain,.....But if a fan REALLY REALLY wants that feeling of nostalgia, they can pay an extra $5 and get that dub set, I'd be OK with that, and I think a lot of other fans would too. heck after all, even when this was on TV in the 70's/80's, the quality of those video masters wasn't the greatest. Does anyone remember watching original Star Trek before it was *restored* in the mid 80's :lol: :lol: .

Just enjoy the prosperous time we are living in, and remember , nothing can take away what you already have.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Image

However, I stand corrected on one thing. I guess they are in talks with MGM to see if they are allowed to use the English dub.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11408
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby H-Man » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Dr Kain wrote: Also, as stated already, neither Mill Creek nor Tsuburaya have the rights to the English dub, so you're SOL on that area.


That's flat-out untrue:

kpa wrote:Everyone, please keep in mind that this just the first announcement and the product details are what has been 100% locked down at this time. Mill Creek wants to include the English dubs and is in talks with TPC to get them. I know everyone involved is working hard on this and I hope to have some good news to share soon.

And despite what Jinzo Ningen wrote, there are indeed reasons why any of these dubs aren't an automatic 'yes' for inclusion... there are all kinds of legal issues that have to be checked first. Just because you don't know about an issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As for Ultra Q, TPC only has the dub for episode 3. That makes it a little difficult for them to hand over the English audio tracks for the entire series.


They are trying. And in the picture you just shared August never said anything about TPC and Mill Creek "not having the rights." And actually he says "it's too soon to call," so I guess we're not so SOL after all.

Dr Kain wrote:That shouldn't stop you from supporting an official Blu-Ray release as it could hinder more series from being released.


So would it be my fault if more series aren't released because I couldn't justify buying something I didn't want to spend money on? :?

Whether I buy these or not is my decision to make. The inclusion of the English dub will definitely be a factor and whether you enjoy the English version or not (and we know you don't) isn't going to convince me or anybody else. I like Ultraman and I'm interested in possibly buying the first three series and the later TDG series should Mill Creek get to those. I don't see myself buying any of the other shows or movies; should I just be happy those are being released and buy those anyway?

And here's the thing: even if I don't buy any of these releases I can still support Mill Creek and TPC by streaming the shows on whatever platform they choose. In that regard I do get to be picky.
User avatar
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 am

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dai » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Image

This is jaw-dropping news. I thought licenses for one or two shows might be negotiated slowly over the next several years, but a massive deal like this is incredible. Thanks to everyone involved in making this happen. After Crunchyroll started de-listing some of the Ultra series, I worried about the day when I wouldn't be able to watch the likes of Nexus, X, and Orb anymore. Sounds like I won't need to worry for much longer.

I'll definitely be upgrading my Shout DVDs of Ultra Q to that blu-ray set, and I'm not at all bothered that it's the monochrome version. Ultra Q has some of the best cinematography in the franchise, and it was designed to take advantage of the atmospheric nature of black and white.
User avatar
Dai
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Dr Kain wrote:Frankly, we should just be happy something like this is happening at all and support it no matter what.
[/quote]

That's exactly the kind of addlepated sheep-minded response we heard from a lot of fans back when 4Kids picked up and dubbed Ultraman Tiga for FOX kids TV. And we all know how well their dumbed down scripts & jokey insulting dubs fared for that series now... don't we???? It's kinda like saying that just because Jeep finally made the Gladiator pick-up that I should run out and buy one, even though I don't want or need a club cab-ONLY configuration but instead want an extended cab with a slightly longer bed. "But you should just be happy they built it and support them or else they won't make any more Jeeps or trucks for us." BULLDOOKEY. Just because you don't give a rat's about these dubs doesn't mean they're pointless or stupid - to anyone except you. I don't have an issue with subbed shows; I've been collecting them like a madman over the last couple of years and enjoying the cornucopia of varied toku product like a cat locked overnight in a fish market. But first & foremost I want those dubs because it's how I was introduced to them and they have an immeasurable sentimental value to me ...nostalgia, if you will. But thankfully I am not the only one. Not by a long shot.

And for the record, I would GLADLY be willing to pay DOUBLE what they're asking to get the UM '66 with the dubs. Same thing goes for those Godzilla films released without the AIP dubs or the first 2 Gamera films that hit shelves with NO DUBS at all and the terrific US version of GTGM missing entirely! If you are willing to settle for whatever gets coughed up then good for you, but... in my mind that's every bit as much to blame for the crap we get as boycotting a release is - because these video companies see that we'll happily take whatever pap they shove our way. They figure 'Why bother to go the extra mile to turn out the best possible release when those gullible, desperate fans will race to the store to buy whatever we dump on the shelves and pay through the nose for it... just because." Right? It's a double-edged sword, Kain. Damned if you do... damned if you don't. Sadly there's no clear cut response to solve it. I don't want to blow up the world in a fit of mindless rage; I just want Mill Creek & TPC to think their way around this carefully, take their time, and realize that spending a few extra dollars and releasing in a FULL, well-rounded set that attempts to please ALL fans is in their best interests financially, both short term AND long term. Not just courting purists like yourself or old schoolers like me - but both sides - AND the casual fans & toku-virgins who are merely curious. And yes I realize that you can't please everybody, but including the dubs for Ultraman would go a long way towards generating better overall sales AND helping insure that casual fans who came for a taste of comfort food they know and love and noobs who liked what they saw (AND heard!) will stick around and keep snacking on future Ultra series as they're released.

Now that I have a little more info that's encouraging, I intend to sit back and see how it pans out - fingers crossed. But I for one am glad that I, in some part, sparked a discussion about this. If no one had spoken up as passionately then perhaps Mill Creek & TPC, et.al might not have stopped to consider that anyone really cared about those 'silly old dubs' and they just might have been more inclined to shrug off the notion of pursuing the inclusion of the dubs. Like them or not, they are a part of Ultra history. A good part. And they absolutely, totally deserve to be preserved, cherished and shared with (and passed on to) future generations of fans, rather than forgotten and consigned to the junk bins of time, possibly lost - in whole or in part - forever, as physical media goes the way of the dinosaur. After all, those old VHS tapes some of us have squirreled away won't last very much longer - and the pitiful Chaiyo-authored DVDs are junk; woefully incomplete and of mediocre audio quality, at best.
User avatar
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:47 am
Location: Standing @ The Crossroads

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Dai wrote:Image

This is jaw-dropping news.



Hey, I thought of (but did not) posting that gif here yesterday! Inception thoughtcrime!
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15232
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby william newell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:32 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Jinzo Ningen wrote:Frankly, if these Mill Creek Blu-rays make it to market without the beloved Titra dubs then I flat-out call "too lazy, too cheap or too in a hurry to rush them out and grab some cash".
Mill Creek is the same company that puts out those "100 Sci-Fi Movie" public domain releases, so even though they've actually put out some quality stuff (like their Heisei Gamera releases) they're not really going to go to a lot of EXTRA effort on something. Especially a niche title like Ultra-whatever.

Dr Kain wrote:3. Your entire post is coming off as nothing more than entitlement.


Dr Kain wrote:Well Amazon FINALLY charged me. They said it will arrive between July 17th and 20th. -_- "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" you Amazon!


Image


Best laugh I've had all week! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Jelly...
william newell
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:29 pm
Location: Hamilton, New Jersey

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby kpa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Jinzo Ningen wrote:Frankly, if these Mill Creek Blu-rays make it to market without the beloved Titra dubs then I flat-out call "too lazy, too cheap or too in a hurry to rush them out and grab some cash". PERIOD. Much if not all of the details of this were hashed & re-hashed when those craptastic Chaiyo DVD sets first started making the rounds. The rights to everything UM '66 on this side of the pond expired YEARS if not DECADES ago. Said rights reverted to TPC, originators of the series; similar to how the rights of H-B's Godzilla cartoon reverted back to Toho, despite H-B creating the whole thing and simply paying a licensing fee to Toho for use of Godzilla. If I am wrong in any of this then please fill in the details, or at least hit the highlights so that we some idea of what the hell's going on. I will wait patiently and bite my tongue, if I know something is coming, but please don't keep us in the dark.

I'm sorry if I've hurt a few feelings, but as a Ultraman fan since I was barely able to walk I am tired of getting the short end of the stick. Loving something that originated from another country on the other side of the planet is already an open invitation to endless misunderstandings & disappointment, but I have grown very weary (and leery) over the years of the constant promises of a huge steak... only to get a few measly table scraps when the plate is finally passed around. Companies bring barebones junk product over here and then actually have the gall to wonder why they didn't sell a mountain of copies, or why fans were angry, etc., etc. C'mon... really!? (Godzilla films without the AIP dubs and Gamera's first two flicks with NO dubs are obvious examples). Price point is not an acceptable excuse either, since the vast majority of fans of this stuff aren't penniless teenagers. We're older, financially established and can & will fork over good cash --- for good product. However getting a lot of promises and shelling big bucks out for threadbare releases now, with the (usually vague) promise (or more often empty hopes) of something better "someday" is tiresome and infuriating. And so is settling for lukewarm half-assed efforts. Raw bootlegs and the upsurge in quality fansubs of TV & motion picture toku product - both old & new - are hard proof that a market for these kinds of shows & movies DOES exist.

Give us a delicious, filling meal and we will shower you with the highest praise (Shout's recent JETMAN release), but do not throw us a cup of cold gruel and expect us to howl with joy. If TPS & Mill Creek get everything squared away and release these WITH the complete, un-edited subs I will not only apologize profusely but will plunk down the moolah and purchase 3 sets each of UQ and UM '66 - 1 each for me, 1 each for my cousin & his little boy and 1 of each for my best friend & his son.

And for the record, when you announce something - and a KEY element that makes it appealing for the intended market is notoriously missing - don't act surprised when people complain or call you out on it. If things are in the works or still up in the air that's understandable... but for heaven's sake just SAY SO in your announcements or official press releases, to nip grumbling in the bud before it starts. Don't wait for us to drag it out of you. If certain details are still being ironed out/hush-hush then just tell us that. We'll understand. Well, most of us. :oops: I am tired. Need sleep...


JInzo, I think you misunderstood my early post. No hurt feelings or shock here... just stating your "NO EXCUSE" comment is flat-out wrong. Whether its Toho, Tsuburaya, or Daiei, these were foreign companies making licensing -- many one at a time -- for multiple properties released over years, if not decades. Your assumption that the deal Toho made with Hanna/Barbera in 1978 cartoon show = the deal Toho made with Columbia for MOTHRA in 1961 = the deal Tsuburaya made with United Artist for ULTRAMAN in 1966 = the deal Daiei made with AIP for GAMERA VS BARUGON, etc is just nonsense.

These were are all different contractual agreements with their own rules and conditions. Not every right automatically reverts back to the Japanese studios when a licensing deal expires. And even when the company does get rights to the American versions, that doesn't guarantee they have those materials. I've seen some of the old AIP contracts and they had a "return or destroy all elements" clause for when their rights expired. What's more likely.: they took the time. effort and expense to pack everything up and ship it to Japan... or just throw everything in a dumpster?

And then there are conditions in the Japanese contracts with their own personnel that foreign distributors often have to deal with. For example, if the original contract between TPC and one of their actors didn't stipulate foreign releases, licensees can't show that actor's likeness on packaging, publicity materials, etc. And that makes it impossible to include stuff like behind the scenes footage showing that person. Now imagine that for an entire cast of a show or movie. It's stuff like that that punches holes in the NO EXCUSE argument.

Luckily, TPC does have the English dubs for ULTRAMAN. And luckily, Mill Creek knows that, wants to use those dubs, and has been negotiating with TPC to do so. But there are also some issues to be ironed out first to make that happen.

And your "just SAY SO in your announcements" statement doesn't make much sense from a business pov. Mill Creek made the announcement in conjunction with preorder listings going up on Amazon and other retail outlets, so the announcement includes what is definitely going to be on these releases. While everyone involved is working to include even more content, teasing or hinting in an official announcement about something that may or may not happen strikes me as unethical. As it stands right now, customers who preorder the ULTRAMAN Blu-rays have an accurate idea of what they're getting for their money and can decide for themselves if that's worth a purchase.
Keith
Image
User avatar
kpa
Monster 01
 
Posts: 3273
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:39 pm
Location: CA

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby H-Man » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Keith, from your comments earlier in this thread I'm guessing that TPC wasn't able to get back what MGM has of the Q dub. August has said a few times (1. 2.) that MGM had located the original elements for most episodes (the few that were missing may have simply been mislabeled) and that he thought circa 2011 that TPC was in the process of reacquiring all of it. I'm guessing it wasn't as simple as that and the possibility of hearing the unreleased dubbed episodes in the future is pretty doubtful; would you say that's the case?
User avatar
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 am

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 pm

H-Man wrote:
Dr Kain wrote: Also, as stated already, neither Mill Creek nor Tsuburaya have the rights to the English dub, so you're SOL on that area.


That's flat-out untrue:.


You didn't see my correction post above, did you?

Jinzo Ningen wrote:That's exactly the kind of addlepated sheep-minded response we heard from a lot of fans back when 4Kids picked up and dubbed Ultraman Tiga for FOX kids TV. And we all know how well their dumbed down scripts & jokey insulting dubs fared for that series now... don't we????


Uh...

1. That's not the same thing because these are including the Japanese audio track. If they were dubbed only, then yes, I would argue that. I wouldn't buy a dubbed only release because the English version is NOT the original version. When it comes to live action, all it has to do is include the proper version and that's all that matters. Anything else is a bonus feature.

2. There is no difference at all between the Ultraman 66 dub to the Tiga dub.

Anyway, it's time to move away from negativity because this is such a momentous occassion. I never thought someone would actually license the entire franchise.

What do you guys think of the packaging and having Series 1 and Series 2 on it? I think it's great and I hope they keep that consistent throughout the entire run. I just wonder how they are going to fit 6 discs into a Steelbook. I'm trying to debate if it's really worth spending $10 just for a steelbook case that can never be replaced if something happens to it.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11408
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:07 am

Jinzo I respect your opinion but you seem to be the only one fuming that the Ultraman release may not include the dub. Yeah it would suck if they can't work something out but that's sure as hell not going to stop me from enjoying this set and future sets for that matter. As Keith mentioned above it all comes down to licensing so hopefully a deal can be worked out so we can get the dubs on the set if not I won't be to upset.
The member formerly known as gvamp
User avatar
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11232
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:22 am

H-Man wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:That shouldn't stop you from supporting an official Blu-Ray release as it could hinder more series from being released.


So would it be my fault if more series aren't released because I couldn't justify buying something I didn't want to spend money on? :?


No, but I can see Kain's point. Home media distributors aren't exactly lining up to license Ultraman for the North American market. The Chaiyo debacle only ever kept the first six shows out of the running for all these years. The later shows and movies have all been up for grabs but aside from Ultraman Tiga and a couple of the spinoff films, no company has shown any interest. Now Mill Creek has licensed the whole Ultra catalog but they're definitely not going to release everything on physical media if sales don't justify it.

Fox started releasing full-season DVD sets of King of the Hill in 2003, then they stopped after the season six set in 2006 because they just weren't selling well enough. It wasn't until 2014 that a company called Olive Films started releasing the rest of the seasons on DVD.

Boycotting specialty media releases doesn't send the intended message. When fans and collectors boycotted the 2011 Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Vol. 1 set because it didn't have everything they wanted, Warner Bros. saw no reason to proceed with Vol. 2 and they just cancelled it altogether.

If the Ultra Q and Ultraman BRD sets were to lack the English dubs and sell poorly for Mill Creek, they wouldn't think "maybe the fans will actually buy them if we re-release them with the dubs." They'll think twice about releasing more obscure Ultra series.

It won't all hinge on these first two releases, either. If Ultraman sales start to crater down the road, Mill Creek will probably just stop the physical media releases. If they roll the dice on BRD sets of Ultraman Taro and Ultraman Max that don't sell well, they probably won't get around to Ultraman Leo or Ultraman Mebius, for instance.

And full disclosure, I will not be one of the supporters voting with my wallet for Mill Creek to keep the Ultraman releases coming. I'm not really an Ultraman fan. I'll get Ultra Q and probably Ultraman too and I'll definitely buy Ultraman Nexus and Ultra Q Dark Fantasy if Mill Creek ever releases them but I can't afford to blind-buy a whole bunch of shows that I've never seen and might not even like. Ultraman fans who want to see the entire catalog on North American BRD, if you're out there, these releases do need your support because not every kaiju fan can keep this train chugging.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5317
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:12 am

Dr Kain wrote:There is no difference at all between the Ultraman 66 dub to the Tiga dub.

phpBB [media]


The Dub of the original series was done professionally and with great care, and played in and out of syndication for NEARLY 20 YEARS
United Artists Television picked up the rights for Ultra Q and Ultraman in the fall of 1966, two months after the first episode of Ultraman aired. Ultra Q was dubbed but never broadcast in the United States due to American TV stations preferring color shows over black-and-white shows. Ultraman ran in and out of syndication until the mid-1980s. UA-TV also syndicated Ultraman internationally.[19] UA-TV commissioned an English dub from Titra Studios.[20] Peter Fernandez, Earl Hammond, and Corinne Orr provided the voices for the dub. Fernandez also wrote and supervised the dub.[21]

Describing the process, Fernandez said: "I had a moviola, sometimes a projector, and I’d go back and forth over each line carefully and carefully, building the line to look like English." Fernandez also went on to explain that a greased pencil was used to mark scenes that needed to be dubbed, even if it were a few lines. A loop of the film would be projected so that the voice actor could memorize his or her line and see where the scene needed to be dubbed. The voice actors had to wait for a beeping signal before starting, Fernandez explained: "So in the studio you hear “Beep… beep… beep…” then you talk, as if there is a forth [sic] beep. Those beeps are drilled into me. They are two-thirds of a second apart. Later on, the film is reassembled and mixed with the original music and sound effects."[21] The English dub was featured in the BCI Eclipse 2006 North American DVD release of Ultraman, as well as subsequent re-issues from Mill Creek.[22]


The 4kids dub of Tiga in 2002 was haphazard, unprofessional, and not even taken seriously. The whole series wasn't even dubbed, it was so bad. It didn't even last one year. Nobody missed the dub when Funimation released the series on DVD initially, and nobody would miss it today.

An English dub of the series was produced by 4Kids Entertainment and recorded by their in-house dubbing studio, 4Kids Productions. The dub aired on the Fox Box, which was formally the Fox Kids Children's block on Fox in the United States. The first episode premiered on September 14, 2002.

4Kids made some significant changes, such as producing a new theme song and soundtrack that replaced the originals. Storylines were altered to comply with Fox's Standards and Practices division and accommodate commercial breaks and broadcasting scheduling. Each episode was one or two minutes shorter than its Japanese counterpart. The dub included tongue-in-cheek dialogue, which changed the personalities for some characters such as Captain Iruma, who was changed from a smart, level-headed individual to an airhead. Additionally, Captain Iruma was referred to as a "sir" instead of a "ma'am".

Some monsters were given new sound effects, and the transformation sequence was altered altogether, showcasing all of Tiga's forms and emphasizing the change from Daigo to Tiga. Tiga's "Multi, Power, and Sky Types" are changed into "Omni, Power, and Speed Modes," respectively. The Spark Lens was renamed the "Torch of Tiga", although the Region 1 DVD Release refers to it as the "Spark Lance" for the first DVD but afterwards, the translation becomes "Spark Lens. His light techniques were called "Luminizers", and the Color Timer is referred to as the "Biotic Sensor."

Ultraman Tiga was removed from the FoxBox lineup on March 15, 2003, due to low ratings, with only 25 episodes of the 52-episode series having aired. 4Kids initially planned to relaunch the show in September, but decided to release the Japanese episodes on DVD instead. As a result, their dub is only viewable through recordings of the original broadcasts. Erica Schroeder (who voiced Rena) claimed that part of the reason for Ultraman Tiga's limited success in the U.S. was due to 4Kids' indecision whether to satirize the show or make it serious
Last edited by O.Supreme on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:12 am

Like Sentai, I will buy every Ultra show that is released, even the "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" ones like Ultra Seven X, Leo, and Towards the Future.

In fact, when it comes to Toku, I will buy every Garo, Metal Heroes, Ultraman, Sentai, and Kamen Rider show whether I like it or not, whether I have seen it or not, just because. All it needs to include is the Japanese audio track and subtitles.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11408
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:53 am

O.Supreme wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:There is no difference at all between the Ultraman 66 dub to the Tiga dub.

phpBB [media]


The Dub of the original series was done professionally and with great care, and played in and out of syndication for NEARLY 20 YEARS
United Artists Television picked up the rights for Ultra Q and Ultraman in the fall of 1966, two months after the first episode of Ultraman aired. Ultra Q was dubbed but never broadcast in the United States due to American TV stations preferring color shows over black-and-white shows. Ultraman ran in and out of syndication until the mid-1980s. UA-TV also syndicated Ultraman internationally.[19] UA-TV commissioned an English dub from Titra Studios.[20] Peter Fernandez, Earl Hammond, and Corinne Orr provided the voices for the dub. Fernandez also wrote and supervised the dub.[21]

Describing the process, Fernandez said: "I had a moviola, sometimes a projector, and I’d go back and forth over each line carefully and carefully, building the line to look like English." Fernandez also went on to explain that a greased pencil was used to mark scenes that needed to be dubbed, even if it were a few lines. A loop of the film would be projected so that the voice actor could memorize his or her line and see where the scene needed to be dubbed. The voice actors had to wait for a beeping signal before starting, Fernandez explained: "So in the studio you hear “Beep… beep… beep…” then you talk, as if there is a forth [sic] beep. Those beeps are drilled into me. They are two-thirds of a second apart. Later on, the film is reassembled and mixed with the original music and sound effects."[21] The English dub was featured in the BCI Eclipse 2006 North American DVD release of Ultraman, as well as subsequent re-issues from Mill Creek.[22]


The 4kids dub of Tiga in 2002 was haphazard, unprofessional, and not even taken seriously. The whole series wasn't even dubbed, it was so bad. It didn't even last one year. Nobody missed the dub when Funimation released the series on DVD initially, and nobody would miss it today.

An English dub of the series was produced by 4Kids Entertainment and recorded by their in-house dubbing studio, 4Kids Productions. The dub aired on the Fox Box, which was formally the Fox Kids Children's block on Fox in the United States. The first episode premiered on September 14, 2002.

4Kids made some significant changes, such as producing a new theme song and soundtrack that replaced the originals. Storylines were altered to comply with Fox's Standards and Practices division and accommodate commercial breaks and broadcasting scheduling. Each episode was one or two minutes shorter than its Japanese counterpart. The dub included tongue-in-cheek dialogue, which changed the personalities for some characters such as Captain Iruma, who was changed from a smart, level-headed individual to an airhead. Additionally, Captain Iruma was referred to as a "sir" instead of a "ma'am".

Some monsters were given new sound effects, and the transformation sequence was altered altogether, showcasing all of Tiga's forms and emphasizing the change from Daigo to Tiga. Tiga's "Multi, Power, and Sky Types" are changed into "Omni, Power, and Speed Modes," respectively. The Spark Lens was renamed the "Torch of Tiga", although the Region 1 DVD Release refers to it as the "Spark Lance" for the first DVD but afterwards, the translation becomes "Spark Lens. His light techniques were called "Luminizers", and the Color Timer is referred to as the "Biotic Sensor."

Ultraman Tiga was removed from the FoxBox lineup on March 15, 2003, due to low ratings, with only 25 episodes of the 52-episode series having aired. 4Kids initially planned to relaunch the show in September, but decided to release the Japanese episodes on DVD instead. As a result, their dub is only viewable through recordings of the original broadcasts. Erica Schroeder (who voiced Rena) claimed that part of the reason for Ultraman Tiga's limited success in the U.S. was due to 4Kids' indecision whether to satirize the show or make it serious


"There is no difference at all between the Ultraman 66 dub to the Tiga dub." Yeah, I about blew a gasket when I read that unbelievably ignorant DK statement. I was preparing a response but saw further down that you'd picked up the gauntlet. Thanks. I wasn't really feelin' it. It's mostly like talking to a wall anyways. :roll:
User avatar
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:47 am
Location: Standing @ The Crossroads

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am

Just to round out that post however. I don't think what AIP/Titra did is completely infallible, but there is an obvious quality as opposed to others. It goes the same for the AIP Gamera vs Daiei and/or Sandy Frank dubs of Gamera films. There is more to translation than just words. It's about conveying the original idea of the speaker. It's also about voice matching. If a native speaker has a deeper voice, and a dub gives him a squeaky or goofy voice, that can be a huge turn off. The same goes if a studio assigns all the male parts to two actors that just do slight variants of all their voices, and one female to all the female voices, as opposed to getting different people to voice all the parts.... Additionally, when you have actors who's first language is English, as opposed to Actors who read English as a secondary language, there is a huge difference in delivery.

How Gatchaman was *dubbed* into Battle of the Planets and later G-Force is an extremely fascinating study into English dubbing, since Sandy Frank was involved with BOTH versions. Initially in the 70's he assembled a then well known and professional voice acting cast. A New full orchestra theme song was added, but much of the original Japanese music was still retained. Names were changed, violent content was removed, and new more *kid friendly* content was even added.

A decade later, Sandy Frank dubbed the series a second time, changed the character names again (objectively worse names than previously), the Japanese score was almost entirely removed in favor of a often short-cycle-on-repeat keyboard score. The actors were still professional, but their performances were objectively not as good as the 70's voice cast. The episodes were still edited for content, but not *as much* as the 70's versions, and no new content was added in an effort to keep them closer to the original.

Now to be fair, there are some people that don't like dubs at all, and that's fine. I don't like Chinese food, and I don't have to eat it, but then to say "It's all the same" I think would be highly offensive to a lot of people, and an ignorant statement, that I would never say.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:09 am

I'm sorry you don't agree with me, but I don't see how there is any difference between the two dubs (and Ultra Seven's, which can't even get character names right). The lips synch doesn't match, so it always looks like the audio is out of synch, the voices do not sound like the actual actor's voices, and the script is different. Like I said, I don't see how they are different in the slightest. It's basically just watching someone speak over the actual characters. That's why I don't like any live action dubbed.

However, if you mean the quality of the voice actors themselves, then yes, Tiga is most definitely worse than Ultraman.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11408
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest