Shin Godzilla on BD

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Shin Godzilla on BD

Postby Kailem » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:Kailem and Gigantis_99 said that Madman's Australian BRD has English subtitles and English text overlays without any Japanese text overlays, which sounds like Funimation's presentation. Hopefully one of them can chime in to confirm whether Madman released the '1.0' version (which would make it unique) or '2.0' version (which would make it identical to Funimation's).

Conveniently enough one of the chapter stops is right on that second altered shot, so it was extremely easy to go back and check that yes, it appears to be the 2.0 version (as does the shot with the helicopter's more noticeable heat distortion).

Dai wrote:Minor point: what have they done about the end of the Persecution of the Masses scene, where people are talking about the legal basis for deploying the JSDF, and what I presume are pages of the Japanese Constitution are overlayed on the screen? Was that text removed?

Yep, the Japanese text is also present onscreen in the Madman release too.

This is probably something that's the same in every version, but since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, the brief Call of Duty E3 presentation-style "in the interests of time" screen that comes up mid-meeting right before the ministers turn on the TV and see Godzilla's tail early in the film is the only bit of Japanese text that remains in the film itself (other than the opening title, credits and social media/news text early on, of course), and it's subtitled. Not sure if that might have been removed and replaced with English subs in any of the other versions, but I suspect not.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
Kailem
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:This is one of Funimation's finest releases ever and I wish they would find away to acquire the other 28 Toho movies.

Didn't you say that you had a friend who works for Funimation? You should let them know that Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla are available to license from Toho. The company is sure to find Shin Godzilla's sales encouraging.

Seeing how she is a huge Godzilla fan, I'm sure she wouldn't mind getting more titles. The problem is working with Toho is like Groundhogs Day as every day she talked to them felt like it was the first time ever. They were also treating Funimation like they were a brand new start up company.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:25 am

Dr Kain wrote:They were also treating Funimation like they were a brand new start up company.

Pretty sure they treat every company like that.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby angilas » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:09 am

^^i get that groundhog day phone convo in my own company with different depts sometimes and assume the person is senile. Are they sure it's the same person each time.

Can't beleive i didn't realize the slip cover was reversible until I came here.

So netflix has the rights to monsterplanet's digital release, but who has the physical media rights? Could sony/funimation nab it? If they put this type of wirk into some of their previous releases like Gigan, Hedorah, MGII etc we'll be in for a real treat...Great time to be a kaiju fan.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Semi-surprisingly, Shin Godzilla is actually getting a UK home release, albeit several months after most of the rest of the world. According to Amazon it's landing on 4th December. Based on the tagline on the cover, I imagine they have sub-licensed Funimation's US version. That's pretty typical of Manga Entertainment's policy these days; I don't know if they've bothered doing any translations themselves since the 90s.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shin-Godzilla- ... n+godzilla

Great news for UK G-fans who don't import, especially since the list of Godzilla movies released here on DVD or blu-ray is pretty damn feeble, consisting of the original (DVD only), the butchered US version of KKvG, and the two American movies.
Dai
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:40 am

Check out the Printer's Proof I won at NDK's charity auction today. OH YEAH!!

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Ultra T-Rex » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Manga UK via Facebook:

Want the lowdown on our Shin Godzilla release, coming December 4th? Look no further!

Our Shin Godzilla DVD and Blu-ray releases will both be comprised of two discs each -
Disc One: Original Japanese Version with JPN audio, untouched JPN on-screen text and ENG subtitles
Disc Two: ENG audio & localised ENG on-screen text

Housed in on-theme black cases, both DVD & Blu-ray will also include over an hour of extras in the form of ‘Pre-visuals & Outtakes’, a ‘Pre-visual Reel’ and ‘Making VFX - Shin Godzilla Visual Effects Breakdown’.

Their release is shaping up nicely. Same extras as Madman's, and I believe it's also the first English-friendly home video release to preserve the Japanese on-screen text.
Ultra T-Rex
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:04 pm

The Hong Kong release waa bare bones as well, right?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Ultra T-Rex » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:31 pm

lhb412 wrote:The Hong Kong release waa bare bones as well, right?

Yep, only had a trailer IIRC. Which makes me wonder, is it a coincidence the only non-Japanese releases with any kind of significant "behind the scenes" type extras are Region B? Could it perhaps be Toho let European and Australian companies have some more comparatively juicy stuff as they don't have to worry about Japanese fans importing those?

Or it could simply be these companies were willing to pay more, I don't know.
Ultra T-Rex
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 pm

^I've heard that it's a deliberate handicap Toho pulls against those in the same region code to keep Japanese customers from importing, but I don't know if it's just hearsay.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 am

Why would anyone want the Japanese text WITH English Subtitles? I hope that is optional.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Dr Kain wrote:Why would anyone want the Japanese text WITH English Subtitles? I hope that is optional.

Because the Japanese text is part of the visual design of the the movie?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Ultra T-Rex » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 pm

lhb412 wrote:^I've heard that it's a deliberate handicap Toho pulls against those in the same region code to keep Japanese customers from importing, but I don't know if it's just hearsay.

Someone replied to me with this on Facebook:

"From what I was told by someone who worked with Funimation on the US release you are exactly right Christian. Toho is worried about Japanese fans importing the cheaper HK or US Blu-ray so they barred the extras from getting put on those discs."

Of course there's no way of knowing how reliable this guy is, but it's yet another person claiming this to be the case.

Dr Kain wrote:Why would anyone want the Japanese text WITH English Subtitles? I hope that is optional.

eabaker wrote:

Because the Japanese text is part of the visual design of the the movie?

Plus the American and Australian releases already provide a version of the film without the text, so there's real merit in Manga offering something unique with their release (which it appears they did by choice, judging from their posts on Facebook).

Plenty fans have voiced disappointment over the absence of the Japanese text on other releases, so from a business perspective it makes sense to meet whatever demand there is for this version and move a few more units.
Ultra T-Rex
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Ultra T-Rex wrote:Plenty fans have voiced disappointment over the absence of the Japanese text on other releases, so from a business perspective it makes sense to meet whatever demand there is for this version and move a few more units.

Well that is stupid. They don't need Japanese text on the screen if they are not fluent in Japanese and are going to be watching the movie subbed. That is way too much crap all over the screen that doesn't need to be there.

If it is an optional thing though, then I can get behind that so that people don't have to watch it with that mess if they don't want to.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Geno » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Whether it doesn't need to be there or not is irrelevant, as it's a part of the films visual identity and helps make it stand out from the rest of the formulaic movies in the series. People want to see the film the way it was meant to be seen, it's as simple as that. It shouldn't bother you that people just want to see it however they like.
The only kind of real fantasy
Geno
Baby Godzilla

Postby Specium Ray » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Dr Kain wrote:Well that is stupid. They don't need Japanese text on the screen if they are not fluent in Japanese and are going to be watching the movie subbed. That is way too much crap all over the screen that doesn't need to be there.

I think the movie just looks weird without it. What I'd really like to see is to have the on-screen text presented in English, could be a fun fan project.
Specium Ray
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Geno wrote:Whether it doesn't need to be there or not is irrelevant, as it's a part of the films visual identity and helps make it stand out from the rest of the formulaic movies in the series.

I disagree as it is very distracting and gets in the way of all of the other 100 things going on.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
Geno wrote:Whether it doesn't need to be there or not is irrelevant, as it's a part of the films visual identity and helps make it stand out from the rest of the formulaic movies in the series.

I disagree as it is very distracting and gets in the way of all of the other 100 things going on.

I and many others find the rhythm of the editing in GFW distracting, but that doesn't mean that a distributor has any business going in and totally re-editing the movie to satisfy our tastes.

And, lord do I hate the use of metal on the soundtrack to Phenomena, and yet I do not feel it would be remotely appropriate for a distributor to re-score those scenes without filmmaker approval.

The filmmakers put those titles in Shin, that's how the movie was released, so that is what the movie looks like. Take them out, and you're no longer watching the same movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:12 pm

For me, the translated English titles fulfill everything that the original Japanese titles provided. I can read English but I can't read Japanese so the on-screen Japanese titles are redundant to me. Combined with the English-subtitled dialogue and the translated English titles, it made for a very cluttered screen when I saw Shin Godzilla in the theater. I'm glad the American BRD kept it to just the English screen text.

The Hong Kong BRD is also coded region-A and it has the on-screen Japanese titles without any English translation, plus English subtitles for the dialogue. It also presents the '1.0' version of the movie without the two (at minimum) altered/alternate effects shots of other home releases, so it really is true to the theatrical version of Shin Godzilla.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 pm

For those interested in going the Ultra HD route, and want to be able to follow the Toho UHD disc, there's a neat trick you can do with the Oppo UDP-203 UHD disc player... external subtitles!

Create a folder on a USB stick called 'sub'.
Name your SRT formatted subtitle file 'sub.srt' and copy it into the 'sub' folder.
Play the disc and press the Subtitle button while the movie is playing. The last entry in the subtitle popup list will be your custom subtitle from the USB stick.
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:12 am

Joseph Goodman wrote:For those interested in going the Ultra HD route, and want to be able to follow the Toho UHD disc, there's a neat trick you can do with the Oppo UDP-203 UHD disc player... external subtitles!

Create a folder on a USB stick called 'sub'.
Name your SRT formatted subtitle file 'sub.srt' and copy it into the 'sub' folder.
Play the disc and press the Subtitle button while the movie is playing. The last entry in the subtitle popup list will be your custom subtitle from the USB stick.

I don't have a UHD player, but this is a pretty interesting concept. I wish this was possible 10 years ago when I was buying the Japanese Sentai and Kamen Rider DVDs.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dai » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:51 pm

My UK blu-ray of Shin Godzilla arrived today. I haven't had a chance to watch it all the way through yet (I've seen the HK blu-ray 10 times, so I'm not in a hurry), but I've done some checking and comparisons. Some interesting things to note:

- Both the box and the disc art incorrectly state the audio as Dolby TrueHD. The two discs each have two audio tracks: 3.1 DTS HD-MA and 2.0 LPCM, though (as Manga previously stated) there's only English on one disc, and only Japanese on the other. This decision is all the more bizarre now I see that each disc has two audio tracks. Anyway, my PS4 detects the audio as DTS instead of Dolby, so the error seems to be on the packaging instead of the menu screen. I did a quick comparison with the DTS HD-MA track on the HK-blu-ray, and it seems to be either the same encode or so close I couldn't hear a difference.
- The Japanese disc is v1.0 with the theatrical versions of the special effects. The English disc is v2.0 with the amended effects.
- The Japanese disc only has one subtitle option, which shows both dialogue and text subtitles. As with other regions' releases, dialogue subtitles are at the bottom of the screen, and text subtitles are at the top. I was hoping for a second, dialogue-only subtitle track as an option, so that's a little disappointing.
- Based on the handful of scenes I tried out, the subtitle translation appears to be the same as the HK blu-ray, which appears to have been used on all releases in English-speaking territories.
- On the English disc, text subtitles are at the bottom of the screen.
- The Japanese disc is significantly brighter than the HK blu-ray, bringing out more detail in the night scenes. The English disc actually appears brighter still, perhaps too much and to the point of looking a little washed out. I suspect I'd just need to switch my TV to the darker calibration I use for some NTSC DVDs.
- The discs are locked to Zone B.
- The discs come in a black Amaray case with alternate artwork on the reverse of the sleeve, and a cardboard O-ring.
Dai
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

^ Thanks for the info. I find this to be particularly interesting:

Dai wrote:- The Japanese disc is v1.0 with the theatrical versions of the special effects. The English disc is v2.0 with the amended effects.
- The Japanese disc only has one subtitle option, which shows both dialogue and text subtitles. As with other regions' releases, dialogue subtitles are at the bottom of the screen, and text subtitles are at the top. I was hoping for a second, dialogue-only subtitle track as an option, so that's a little disappointing.
- On the English disc, text subtitles are at the bottom of the screen.

So the Japanese-language disc is like the Hong Kong BRD (v1.0, Japanese screen text, English subtitles at bottom) with the addition of English translations of the screen text at the top of the screen.

Coupled with the English-language disc presenting text translations at screen bottom, both of those discs on the UK release offer unique presentations of the movie that are different from other home releases around the world.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby Rody » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:37 pm

eabaker wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:

I and many others find the rhythm of the editing in GFW distracting, but that doesn't mean that a distributor has any business going in and totally re-editing the movie to satisfy our tastes.

And, lord do I hate the use of metal on the soundtrack to Phenomena, and yet I do not feel it would be remotely appropriate for a distributor to re-score those scenes without filmmaker approval.

The filmmakers put those titles in Shin, that's how the movie was released, so that is what the movie looks like. Take them out, and you're no longer watching the same movie.

I think it's only distracting because, as foreigners, we're already reading subtitles to follow the story. We're disadvantaged, but that isn't reason enough to fundamentally alter the aesthetic of the movie.

I think an ideal situation - which Dai and maybe someone else might have alluded to earlier - would have been if Funimation designed English text overlays in the style of the original Japanese, matching the original as closely as possible to retain the structure of the film while keeping it less cluttered (like the US theatrical release) and improving comprehension for non-Japanese. Of course, this would likely be costly and very time-consuming; who knows if Toho would even allow that sort of modification?
Rody
Godzilla Jr.

Previous

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases