Blu Ray Wish Lists

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Blu Ray Wish Lists

Postby lhb412 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Mill Creek has put their HD version of Night of the Living Dead on Amazon Prime... and it's nothing to write home about. Beats your usual public domain copy, but otherwise it just shows me I should wait for Criterion's eventual release.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 pm

lhb412 wrote:Mill Creek has put their HD version of Night of the Living Dead on Amazon Prime... and it's nothing to write home about. Beats your usual public domain copy, but otherwise it just shows me I should wait for Criterion's eventual release.

I don't think that will ever happen. I don't know the whole sordid history, but the home video rights of it are a complete mess, and the market is flooded with all kinds of versions.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 pm

^ No, Janus Films has been working on a restored version with Romero (before he passed). That restoration is supposed to have some kind of limited theatrical run, then presumably a Criterion home video release.

The film itself is public domain, but Mill Creek's is gonna be the first US Blu-Ray release. There's apparently a Japanese release that's decent.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Now that it seems Mill Creek's Gamera and Daimajin releases have gone OOP I'd gladly rebuy if, say, Arrow Video scooped up the rights and did their magic on them. I don't know if their Daimajin release could be improved upon, but there's definitely room for improvement with the Gameras, what with the compression and 1080i on their releases for the Showa films and Kadokawa's 4K remasters of the trilogy + The Brave done last year.

Honestly, I just can't get over my first Arrow Video purchase (the Female Prisoner Scorpion set) and they put together such cool packaging I'm just itching to get more from them. Reversible cover art with the Japanese posters!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm

lhb412 wrote:Cohen released a trailer for their (fantastic looking) Old Dark House restoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YglykBEXHO0

(linking because the vide is un-embeddable)

If you haven't pulled the trigger on this title yet... you should. It looks amazing!

My Amazon review:

A creepy, atmospheric character play more than a true horror film. Karloff and the rest of the cast are terrific. AAA+ Blu-ray.

BOTTOM LINE: A great movie and an equally great hi-def presentation thanks to the Cohen Film Collection. The movie looks & sounds better than ever, and the Blu-ray includes a solid set of bonus features. 5 STARS

THE STORY: 2 separate couples & a friend, motoring through the English countryside, end up stranded at a rundown estate thanks to a fierce rainstorm that’s washed out the only road back to town. The eclectic residents of said estate prove to be rather... unnerving... to these five unsuspecting travelers - cut off from civilization and forced to hole up in the eerie mansion until the raging storm subsides.

THOUGHTS: A film that's far more than the sum of its parts. A terrific cast of seasoned actors make this a joy to watch. Horror legend Boris Karloff gets top billing, due to his bankabilty as a horror star. He's believably threatening here as hulking manservant, Morgan, yet another role in which he's half-buried under grotesque make-up, forced to rely on his eyes & body language to emote. Honestly, the whole cast is fairly well-balanced with regards to screen time and importance. Knife-faced Ernest Thesinger is delightful as Horace, the de facto head of the Femm family estate, though we soon discover that his spinster sister, Rebecca, (a great turn by Eva Moore), really controls things, including the mute, shuffling Morgan. Melvyn Douglas, Raymond Massey and the always affable Charles Laughton are our male protagonists, while the lovely Lillian Bond and leggy Gloria Stuart are our damsels in distress. A tight script by J.B. Priestley & evocative cinematography by an uncredited Arthur Edeson add much to the overall look & feel of the production, but it's the masterful direction of James Whale that insures we're getting more than our money's worth. Whale gets the most out of his accomplished acting ensemble, and liberally inserts bits of his quirky trademark humor throughout, to keep things from getting too gloomy & gruesome. This film is well worth your time, and a real find for those who've never seen it but are fans of any of the cast & crew. It actually gets better through repeated viewings, so there's no need to worry about its replay value.

THE BLU-RAY: A real score from E-One & the Cohen Film Collection. The 4k scan of the rescued film elements gives us an amazing quality print. Tons of detail and a true appreciation for the photography & framing of the film can be had. For moviephiles, there's an impressive amount of bonus content to sift through as well. Among the goodies are two separate full-length commentaries; one with star Gloria Stuart, in which she reminiscences about the film and discusses her career. It's a fun & informal listen. The second commentary is by James Curtis, and is more info & detail-oriented but is equally engaging. There's an interesting on-camera interview with Sara Karloff, in which she shares insight about her father, his involvement with the film and his fruitful working relationship with James Whale & Universal. Next is an archival piece featuring Curtis Harrington, (director of the eerie noir-ish underground classic, NIGHT TIDE), who, in 1968, used his contacts within the Universal Studio system to stubbornly track down the long-thought lost original film elements for THE OLD DARK HOUSE from Universal’s film vaults in New York. His tireless persistence resulted in the creation of four sets of safety prints, struck from the original nitrate negatives which were criminally rotting away in storage. Without Mr. Harrington's admirable efforts, we wouldn't be able to enjoy this fantastic-looking Blu-ray. Speaking of which… the restored film looks & sounds wonderful! The hi-res transfer gives us a stunningly sharp picture, with only minimal dirt & scratches and other print damage. There's no artifacting or pixelation or edge enhancement that I could see. The audio, while clearly a product of the limited technology of its time, is nonetheless mostly clean & even, with no pops, hissing or crackles that plague so many older films such as this.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:48 pm

lhb412 wrote:Honestly, I just can't get over my first Arrow Video purchase

Yeah, they're great; I recently took the Arrow plunge with Caltiki, The Hills Have Eyes, and Re-Animator. I might have to pick up the other Mario Bava stuff they've released.
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 pm

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22429

Criterion's Night of the Living Dead release drops in February!

- BRAND NEW 4K DIGITAL RESTORATION, supervised by director George A. Romero, coscreenwriter John A. Russo, sound engineer Gary R. Streiner, and producer Russell W. Streiner
- NEW RESTORATION OF THE ORIGINAL MONAURAL SOUNDTRACK, supervised by Romero and Gary R. Streiner, and presented uncompressed on the Blu-ray
- Night of Anubis, a never-before-presented work-print edit of the film
- NEW program featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez
- Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel
- NEW piece featuring Russo about the commercial and industrial-film production company where key
Night of the Living Dead filmmakers got their start
- Two audio commentaries from 1994, featuring Romero, Russo, producer Karl Hardman, actor Judith O'Dea, and more
- Archival interviews with Romero and actors Duane Jones and Judith Ridley
- NEW programs about the editing, the score, and directing ghouls
- NEW interviews with Gary R. Streiner and Russel W. Streiner
- Trailer, radio spots, and TV spots
- More!
- PLUS: An essay by critic Stuart Klawans
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Well, it looks like "Jack the Giant Killer" is finally getting its LONG overdue blu-ray release from Kino Lorber (both versions!!!). I've heard bad things about the musical rendition, but happy that the regular feature is finally getting its due!

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/931214207147749376

Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New 2018 HD Masters of Both Cuts!

Jack the Giant Killer (1962) Starring Kerwin Mathews, Judi Meredith & Torin Thatcher - Directed by Nathan Juran (The 7th Voyage of Sinbad) - Screenplay by Orville H. Hampton (The Alligator People) & Juran
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:34 pm

^ Awesome. I unironically enjoy the movie, transparent rip-off of 7th Voyage with some Wizard of Oz and Sleeping Beauty mixed in it may be.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Anybody got a copy of this???

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073V54CXG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1EMIN48ZZGJI6&colid=2DOOEHRCD01EG

Just curious if it truly is region-free and also how the quality is. If it isn't much better than the DVD then I'll pass. But if it's super-awesome-amazing, then I will likely pull the trigger.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:39 pm

The description says region free, and even if it's not it's a Hong Kong release and they're in the same region as us (I've got several HK Blu-Rays on my Christmas list).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

lhb412 wrote:The description says region free, and even if it's not it's a Hong Kong release and they're in the same region as us (I've got several HK Blu-Rays on my Christmas list).

Yeah. A couple of Blu-ray centric sites have confirmed that it IS a true region-free format, plus the beloved daffy English dub is intact here, though apparently no restorative work was done to it. (That's not much of a surprise, seeing as it's a Hong Kong release. I'm just tickled that they actually included it!). I also gather that the German Blu has a slightly better picture. Source used for this transfer is the same HD master created back in 2013/'14. Sadly, no U.S. opening credits sequence here either, even as a supplement. Asking price on Amazon is kinda high so I'm gonna surf around and see if I can track down someone offering it closer to half what Amazon wants ($45).
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Previous

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases