New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby DannyBeane » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Just got Latitude Zero today and the Item Number matches the Media Blaster inventory as does the Frankenstein Conquers the World DVD. I'm calling it. They're legit inventory that was probably discovered.
Last edited by DannyBeane on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:14 pm

I see that some other old Media Blasters releases are back in stock. Pondering if I need some of those Shaw Bros. kung fu movies...
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 pm

For all their faults as a company, Media Blasters has put out a lot of really worthwhile products over the years. A lot of the East Asian movies that they've released probably would have never hit North American DVD at all if it weren't for them. Plus, they usually made the effort to load their releases with as many available bonus features as they could, whether they were putting together their own extras or just porting over the contents of DVDs from other countries.

For fans of Godzilla: Final Wars who want to check out Ryuhei Kitamura's other Japanese action films, MB has terrific special edition DVDs of Versus, Alive, Aragami, and Skyhigh, plus the related films Battlefield Baseball and Death Trance.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 pm

I definitely recommend Sky High and Aragami for Kitamura's movies. It pisses me off that some other company did Azumi, but decided to edit scenes out of the movie.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:13 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:For all their faults as a company, Media Blasters has put out a lot of really worthwhile products over the years.

Oh no doubt, in the early 2000, their Toho Kaiju (non-Godzilla) releases were amazing. I know many people hate what they did to FCTW, but I honestly don't mind. Where they started to tick me off was the constant delays with releases of the Voltron DVD's, only half-dubbing GaoGaiGar, and of course the MAJOR FUBAR with DAM and G vs Megalon.

I know companies don't have to be forthcoming on their financial and legal issues, but it was pretty clear when other sites were doing it for them. They should never promise what they could not deliver. To this day they are somehow in business, but they have I think 2 or 3 obscure anime(might be hentai) releases in the works, that have no estimated release date. I'm sorry but instead of a legitimate operation, I envision 3 or 4 guys in a studio apartment in NYC burning discs off their laptop (although to be fair they are legitimately pressed DVD and not DVDR) .

They offered some great titles, I just wish they could have kept it up. Also btw...for anyone who is purchasing their older releases now, is there any way to tell if they are newly manufactured DVD, or old stock that was just found?
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 pm

What is wrong with FCTW?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:31 pm

O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 pm

How many relevant titles did Media Blasters end up working on, anyway? I own the three-pack (I've never actually finished Mysterians or Varan, somehow) and Space Amoeba, which I adore. Thus I know for sure I'm missing FCTW, Latitude Zero, and Dogora, but was that it?

EDIT: Okay, there is Atragon too, but I'm guessing that was it. Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds didn't get the restock treatment or is gone now, not that I'm too broken up about that one.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Baltan II wrote:How many relevant titles did Media Blasters end up working on, anyway? I own the three-pack (I've never actually finished Mysterians or Varan, somehow) and Space Amoeba, which I adore. Thus I know for sure I'm missing FCTW, Latitude Zero, and Dogora, but was that it?

EDIT: Okay, there is Atragon too, but I'm guessing that was it. Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds didn't get the restock treatment or is gone now, not that I'm too broken up about that one.
Don't forget the Amazing Matango and the awful awful War in Space! Also Legend of the Dinosaurs and Monster Birds didn't get the restock treatment. Its the only one I don't have :/
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:41 pm

I didn't forget Matango, like I said I got the three-pack. Watched it twice within the first week of owning it, such a cool and eerie film. Kinda ruined for myself the idea of watching the other two.

War in Space was Discotek, not Media Blasters. I visited their booth during Otakon with the morbid hope of finding a copy there, but no such luck. Darn. :lol:
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:49 pm

Hmmm... Legend of the Dinosaurs is the only Media Blasters kaiju release I didn't get... but that's because I don't like that movie.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 am

O.Supreme wrote:http://www.scifijapan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12565&start=225

Read at your leisure

Not sure what exactly I'm looking for, but, are you referring to something being edited out of the dub to FCTW? If so, that doesn't effect me at all since I will only be watching it in Japanese.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:12 am

^The original English version actually has scenes that are not in the Japanese version, and is highly regarded by fans like myself that saw it on TV years ago, also the "recreated" title cards bother many. I myself don't mind, since I was given a copy of the original AIP version by a fan. I forget some fans are younger and don't have that nostalgia factor. But hearing Nick Adams voice in Japanese is I guess just as ludicrous as hearing the Japanese actors dubbed in English to others...I just cant do it.

I grew up watching all these films in English. Occasionally if I really want to analyze a film, and watch it in its purest form, sure I'll watch the Japanese version, which I am grateful that we have now. But 90% of the time, I just want to enjoy the film, so I watch in English.

While were on the topic of MB, many are forgetting one of their earliest release was Gappa- The Triphibian Monster https://www.amazon.com/Gappa-Triphibian ... ords=gappa

I enjoy this because it includes a different dub than the "Monster from a Prehistoric Planet" dub and title that all other versions contain.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:35 pm

See, I've only seen the Japanese version raw when the Earth swallows the monster, which I guess is to return the world to it natural order without an unnatural creature. lol It is going to be intriguing to finally see it with subtitles.

Although, I wonder if the octopus ending makes more sense considering the thing appears to fight Gaira.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:27 pm

O.Supreme wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:For all their faults as a company, Media Blasters has put out a lot of really worthwhile products over the years.

Oh no doubt, in the early 2000, their Toho Kaiju (non-Godzilla) releases were amazing. I know many people hate what they did to FCTW, but I honestly don't mind. Where they started to tick me off was the constant delays with releases of the Voltron DVD's, only half-dubbing GaoGaiGar, and of course the MAJOR FUBAR with DAM and G vs Megalon.

MB's releases were frequently beset by delays. I remember both Atragon and Space Amoeba didn't come out on time and people would comment that it was typical of MB's anime releases. It really seemed like the folks at MB were just constantly overconfident in their ability to meet their own deadlines. I never minded since the discs were always worth the wait but MB really screwed themselves with such unprofessional business practices. Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs. Megalon were sort of the culmination of all of that. They're great discs, especially for fans who managed to get the special editions, but it's unlikely that Toho will ever do business with MB again after how that went down.

O.Supreme wrote:Also btw...for anyone who is purchasing their older releases now, is there any way to tell if they are newly manufactured DVD, or old stock that was just found?

That's still a mystery. So far the only confirmed difference between one of these discs bought from Amazon today and one bought 10+ years ago has been that Dr Kain's recently purchased Space Amoeba has a different item number printed on the disc underside (TSDVD-0801 rather than TSDVD-0527).

Dr Kain wrote:Although, I wonder if the octopus ending makes more sense considering the thing appears to fight Gaira.

The octopus ending doesn't make any sense or jive with the rest of the movie at all. It's literally just Frankenstein kills Baragon and then a giant octopus shows up out of nowhere and drags Frankenstein into the ocean. It really is a terrible way to end the story.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:That's still a mystery. So far the only confirmed difference between one of these discs bought from Amazon today and one bought 10+ years ago has been that Dr Kain's recently purchased Space Amoeba has a different item number printed on the disc underside (TSDVD-0801 rather than TSDVD-0527).

Well now we can solve the mystery 8) . You have the data, and I can interpret it. the 4 digit code is ... the year of manufacture (first two digits), and number of release in that year (last two), So Space Amoeba was the 27th title MB was releasing in 2005, which makes sense considering its early 2006 release date. So the re-release was only made a couple years later in 2008.

I remember when I heard news of MB's first four Toho Releases. The Mysterians and Matango came out right on time. Varan had the biggest delay, and Dogora came up in short succession thereafter, all in 2005 however IIRC.

My biggest surprise however was when I got The Mysterians DVD in January 2005, I sent a review to Aaron who actually posted it on the old MZ site! I was just having fun sharing info with him, didn't expect him to do that, but it was cool all the same. Little things like that you always remember.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:23 pm

O.Supreme wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:That's still a mystery. So far the only confirmed difference between one of these discs bought from Amazon today and one bought 10+ years ago has been that Dr Kain's recently purchased Space Amoeba has a different item number printed on the disc underside (TSDVD-0801 rather than TSDVD-0527).

Well now we can solve the mystery 8) . You have the data, and I can interpret it. the 4 digit code is ... the year of manufacture (first two digits), and number of release in that year (last two), So Space Amoeba was the 27th title MB was releasing in 2005, which makes sense considering its early 2006 release date. So the re-release was only made a couple years later in 2008.

Unfortunately it's a little more complicated than that. Media Blasters' website has a link to their complete product inventory, located here. According to their inventory, TSDVD-0801 is the item number for Red Eye, a South Korean horror film which MB released on DVD in 2008.

That means that the newly restocked Space Amoeba DVD which Kain just bought from Amazon has the item number for MB's Red Eye DVD printed on the disc underside, while the exterior packaging still says TSDVD-0527. It's unclear why that is.

Kain didn't mention any such discrepancy for Frankenstein vs. Baragon. Danny Beane also just bought Frankenstein vs. Baragon and Latitude Zero and confirmed that they had the correct item numbers. He did say that they lacked the mail-in card inserts that MB typically included with these DVDs back when they were new, so that might indicate that these aren't sealed copies that have just been sitting in storage for ten years.

O.Supreme wrote:My biggest surprise however was when I got The Mysterians DVD in January 2005, I sent a review to Aaron who actually posted it on the old MZ site! I was just having fun sharing info with him, didn't expect him to do that, but it was cool all the same. Little things like that you always remember.

That's awesome, and is your name Brandon Lusk? If so, your review is archived! :mrgreen:
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:That's awesome, and is your name Brandon Lusk? If so, your review is archived! :mrgreen:

Yes that is me :shock: Didn't think I'd ever see that again. Thanks for the link :D Also both Amazon and MZ proved me wrong. I could swear I got this back in January 05, but apparently it was March 05 instead... I must have wrote that when my daughter was less than a month old. She is 12 now and just started 7th grade!
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:51 pm

My Dogora came in and the number on the spine as well as the bottom of the disc match. Also on a side note these discs are being sold by a third party seller on Amazon with fullfilment by Amazon.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:57 pm

How many element ninjas are in this movie?

This seems to be another Media Blasters OOP release that has suddenly been restocked.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 pm

Maybe Media Blasters is finally going under and is trying to liquidate every last thing on hand...
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Dai » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Criterion blu-rays long seemed like mythical beasts to me, since the Criterion Collection has always been exclusively American (as far as I know), and the discs are always locked to zone A. I bought a multi-zone blu-ray player a few years ago almost exclusively for Godzilla movies and Criterions, and was finally able to start collecting the things. Then Brexit came along and shunted the exchange rate up the exhaust pipe. Suddenly importing any blu-ray was an investment, and the premium-priced Criterions became especially difficult to justify to myself.

So I more or less went back to moping about the fact that they were never released in the UK. Except I recently found out that now they are! Two or three titles from Criterion's back catalogue are being released in the UK each month. I doubt they'll ever catch up at that rate, but they've already brought out some of the releases I especially wanted. The spending mayhem recommences, albeit at a far more reasonable price now! First up:

Dai
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 pm

^ Awesome! I heard they wete gonna start releasing in the UK a while back. Of course, that means excluding the titles already licensed by others in the UK.

It's a similar situation to Arrow here in the US: they now sell stuff here in the states, excluding titles already licensed here by labels like Shout and Criterion. Really love my Female Prisoner Scorpion set. It's my first Arrow purchase. I'd love for them to acquire the Toho genre films or the Gamera series.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Strolled into a Walmart on Tuesday, I wasn't even aware GotG2 was coming out that day heh...picked that up of course, and found these two for a good price on Amazon:

ImageImage
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dai » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:47 pm

lhb412 wrote:Of course, that means excluding the titles already licensed by others in the UK.

Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case, though I'm sure this comes down to significant contract negotiation on a film-by-film basis. Artificial Eye released blu-rays of Tarkovsky's movies here just last summer, and the UK Criterion of Solaris came barely nine months later, with Stalker a couple of months after. I hear the Artificial Eye release of Stalker is derived from a sub-par print, so having the option of a meticulously restored Criterion version is great.
Dai
Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases