[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Learning Japanese • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Learning Japanese

Discuss Japan, its people, and its culture. Post a question for some of our board members who have had the wonderful opportunity to visit/live in Japan! Arigato!

Moderator: Controllers

Learning Japanese

Postby H-Man » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 am

H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:17 am

uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 am

I don't know about affordable, but I've been using the Rosetta Stone program. It's totally worth it. Very user friendly & it really does what the commercials claim. The one thing is, you have to be consistent. If you go for longer stretches of time between lessons, you'll forget what you learned which makes progressing much harder. It continually builds on what you've done.

My other caveat would be, learn hiragana and katakana before you start the first lesson! I did using a really easy to learn pictographic book seen . It makes a HUGE difference in how fast you learn stuff. & helps reinforce what you're learning b/c you can pause & read the stuff even if it's not a reading lesson.

Finally, DONT use the english character option for displaying words. It will only hinder your progress. Or, at the very least, only switch to it briefly to clarify or double check something, then switch it right back to kana.

I know it's expensive, but it really is a great program. If you can't buy it, check your libraries (I've heard of several university libraries carrying the student versions).
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:01 pm

Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about RS. It is a bit out of my price range right now but I'd definitely save up to get it.

Also, that manga idea sounds really cool! I'll see if I can find one next time I go the Borders.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:18 pm

I just started playing around with learning French via podcasts that are free on the internet and I found quite a few and the couple that I regularly use are so far very good.

Search for 'learn Japanese podcast' in a search engine and a bunch of sites show up. Finding one that you like might take a bit of trial and error.

I also recommend learning Hiragana and Katakana as well since that will help you a lot if you get say a Japanese to English Dictionary with furigana .
Thomas
Godzilla

Postby Gigan13 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Gigan13
Little Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:25 am

H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:32 pm

Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:59 am

Try this link for some really great kanji books by Bonjinsha:

http://benippon.com/en/basic-kanji-book ... anji-500-1
http://benippon.com/en/basic-kanji-book ... anji-500-2

They are much better than any kanji books you will find state side. Unlike most books, they actually have exercises where you actually write and use the kanji in sentences and context, as opposed to just memorizing them (which isn't an effective way to retain them). So far, this is the best, most effective book I have found.

What's great is that the kanji covered correlates with the JPTL Level 3 test. After you master these two, this seriess also has some higher level books for JPTL Level 2.
http://benippon.com/en/intermediate-kan ... 000-plus-1
http://benippon.com/en/intermediate-kan ... 000-plus-2
Minna No Niho-go also has some good kanji books to go along with their text book, and both 1 and 2 covers most of what you'll need for JPTL Level 3. While Minna no Nihon-go is good, I don't like how you have to buy so many seperate books (Main text book, then grammar explanation book, then several different types of kanji work books...it can really add up money wise).

Here is another good one for beginners:
http://www.3anet.co.jp/english/books/te ... tenow.html

It is loaded with exercises...my only complaint is that they only released one book in this series...I really wish they have released more advanced editions for JPTL level 1-2 exams. Otherwise, it's a great place to start.

http://benippon.com/en/minna-no-nihongo ... sh-edition
http://benippon.com/en/minna-no-nihongo ... nshuu-chou

For kanji cards, I find the ones by White Rabbit Press to be the best:

http://www.whiterabbitpress.com/product ... 248&page=1

They also have higher levels too for JLPT level 1. They are expensive, but they're imo the best flashcards I've seen out there, and they have vocabulary on the back of each kanji card, which is very helpful.

Kondasha's products are also good, but I think the Bonjinsha/White Rabbit items are superior...
:eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Return to Japanese Culture