[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Anime & manga recommendations • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Anime & manga recommendations

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Anime & manga recommendations

Postby tbeasley » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:51 am

I'm relatively new to anime and manga, and there's a lot of great stuff out there to get into. It's a little overwhelming so I'd thought I'd start asking for recommendations here and others like myself could use the thread as well.

For anime movies and shows, I've seen Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira (my favorite) and Steamboy, Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell and Hideaki Anno's Neon Genesis Evangelion, End of Evangelion and the first two Rebuild films. As for manga, I've only ever read Otomo's 6 volume Akira and the first 9 volumes of Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's 14 vol. Evangelion adaptation.

What I'm mainly looking for are movies and relatively short series. If there's any must see or essential anime I'd love to hear about those too. Or just anything that would appeal to a fan of Japanese sci-fi movies.

Again, this isn't just about me - it's for anyone looking for something special.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Anime & manga recommendations

Postby Rody » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:39 pm

First of all, if you haven't seen any Studio Ghibli films yet, make that a priority. Their reputations speak for themselves.

For manga:
Admittedly, I have little experience with manga. However, if you want good, suspenseful stories with great characters and top-notch art, check out some of Naoki Urasawa's work. 20th Century Boys and Pluto are among the best science fiction series I've read.
Death Note is another great thriller, of a more supernatural caliber. It's hard to tell who are the heroes or the villains in this story, much less which sides to root for, but it hooks you like you wouldn't believe.
If you want a slightly more standard action/adventure series, try Fullmetal Alchemist. It's decently long, at around 27 volumes, but it features impressive world building, a timely sense of humor, and some strong themes about humanity's key elements.
...And in case you want something light & fluffy, check out Tonari no Seki-Kun, about a schoolgirl who gets distracted by her classmate's absurd games, or Nichijou, which is an absolutely bonkers slice-of-life series that must be seen to be believed (the anime is great as well).

For anime:
Mobile Suit Gundam is a must-watch. Although the animation and music haven't aged well, the characters and core themes of the show are as relevant as ever. It's basically a war story, told from the perspectives of the soldiers on both sides. Even though we mostly follow the crew of the White Base, rarely do the antagonistic Zeon soldiers actually seem evil. Like any great story, Mobile Suit Gundam gives its full effort towards its characters, and the result is a surprisingly intelligent & mature perspective on life on the front line.
If you want a more relaxing show, Lupin the IIIrd is a delightful, episodic heist show reminiscent in style to James Bond - except the lead characters are crooks, of course. Being an older show, the animation isn't the best, but again, the characters are written so well and mesh together so well, it doesn't matter. It's a good show to kick back and have a good laugh with.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya is a must-watch if you're interested in slice-of-life. What looks like a simple comedy slowly evolves into a sci-fi/fantasy/mystery story. Kyoto Animation cleverly meshed together about half a dozen stories from the original light novels, and then aired them out of chronological order, leaving the audience guessing at the true nature of the story until the very end. It's a brilliantly crafted show.
Currently, my absolute favorite series is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I don't want to say too much, because the show's greatest strength is its element of surprise, but I'll let you know that it isn't the cute magical girl adventure it appears to be. It's only 12 episodes long, so it's a quick watch - and believe me, it is worth it.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby alienhulk2099 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:08 pm

I don't read manga, but I do know that if it has Go Nagai's name on it the read is worth it even if it'll give you nightmares. For anime I will not be using some I've seen in too many recommendation topics that aren't worth the time (IE FLCL, TV Nadia, TV Nadesico, Rayearth, Macross Plus, Gundam 0080, Black Lagoon, Mai-Hime, Cardcaptor Sakura, Golden Boy, Vandread's first series, any incarnation of Patlabor that isn't the third movie, Otaku no Video, Chobits, Girls und Panzer, Casshern Sins, Watamote, Dream Hunter Rem, Madoka Magica, etc). Just as a quick warning being "beginner friendly" is not something that applies to all good anime.

-Macross Zero: A good introductory entry into the Macross franchise as it is the first in the timeline and is very standalone. For its time the CGI was top notch and it has a good soundtrack going for it. Just don't expect a happy ending. This was originally set to have a US release, but got cancelled for no reason.

-Detonator Orgun: A three episode OVA series from the master of shading and animation Masami Obari. Very high octane pulse pounding action and thrills, unexpected twists, manliness surrounding the atmosphere, and a final battle worthy of the hall of fame. Was even released with a dub.

-Neo Human Casshern: The original 70s classic, not the over-emo remake shlock. Very dark writing (with episodes written by the legendary Yoshiyuki Tomino himself), lots of action, well rounded cast, and if you like the style of old vintage comicbooks this is for you. Discotek Media recently gave this a US release and it is on Hulu.

-Six God Combination God Mars: 64 episodes and most of the action is stock footage, but the drama and music are really good and it has the best villain in anime history voiced by the same guy that did the Great Leader from the Kamen Rider franchise. The TV series can be found on Hulu in its entirety.

-Zegapain: Mecha anime with The Matrix? It works surprisingly good. If you can tolerate the music and don't expect amazing villains I'd definitely recommend this to anyone, pretty much everything else about it is very well constructed including the romance complete with a very satisfying payoff (which is actually quite rare in anime). Plus Zegapain Altair is the best anime robot of all time.

-Death Note: It is one of the best and everything it does is executed extremely well, I can't do it justice.

-Fang of The Sun Dougram: If you can stomach 75 episodes and like military and political oriented drama with mecha than this is a must see. Despite being dated this was surprisingly very compelling with everything plotted out properly with very good world building and an exceptionally good cast to boot.

-Nobunaga The Fool: More for people that like theatrics, but if you're into serious drama and don't mind everyone named after historical figures then see this ASAP. Without a doubt it is the best anime of the current decade with writing, visuals, action, pacing, and characters made by the legendary Shoji Kawamori himself with music from the greatness that is JAM Project.

-Gundam SEED and Destiny: Does stock footage bother you? What about 100 episodes in length? Not okay with protagonist switching? If you answered no to all three of those questions then repare yourself for the best Gundam timeline to date and I say this as someone that has seen the entire franchise. Everything about it is top notch for its time even if some visuals have not dated so well; I'd recommend seeing the original versions over HD if you have the option.

-Victory Gundam: Best of the Universal Century gundam timeline and very standalone filled with very dark atmosphere and writing with great pacing action plus adventure. I dare go far as to say this was Tomino's best television series.

-Space Runaway Ideon: Very similar to Victory Gundam, but with more focus on adventure than the grit darkness. For the time the visuals were quite amazing and it gives off an atmosphere or lurking horror from the great unknown. The TV series was concluded in a pair of movies.

-After War Gundam X: An alternate universe version of Victory Gundam; it has a lighter tone compared to most gundam entries, but it makes up with it by having a better cast and amazingly great music.

-Anything with Getter Robo in the title: The original 1974 series, the sequel from 1975, Armageddon, Shin vs. Neo, and New. I can't do them justice, they are simply too manly.

-Anything that Go Nagai's name is listed: He is the best person in the anime industry of all time. Bar none. You can't go wrong with him. After you have seen enough you will have witnessed the essence of manliness itself.

-Brave of The Sun Fighbird: Best entry of the Braves franchise featuring great heroes, superb villains, amazing action, well crafted music and visuals, and a final battle worthy of makings its mark in anime history.

-Brave of Legend Da-Garn: Most of the same reasoning as Fighbird except the protagonists are not as good. However, it does portray its villains as exceptionally intelligent for anime standards with some clever writing. Keep in mind this was made with environmental messages as the theme, but it does it extremely well. Just don't expect subtlety.

-Zoids: The original 67 episode series, if dated CGI does not bother you then there will be plenty of action and adventure to satisfy you.

-Genesis of Aquarion: My favorite standard anime of all time (I say standard because by technical standards is the best anime of all time and the only one I can unquestionably call art). 26 episodes and a 2 part OVA tie-in. It is art. Every category flies with passing colors. Everything within its mythos and story is drenched in mythology of the Eastern civilizations of old and now. It goes above and beyond, regardless of what impression the audience has, to achieve its messages and strides on the idea that as human beings one must not walk alone nor must the past dictate our future. Nobody is ever useless and in combination great achievements can be accomplish that will resonate throughout history.

Then EVOL was made and made the original series look like a joke. :( Sadly it never recaptured what made Genesis so grandiose despite superior production values including the best opening theme in anime history. I'd recommend EVOL as well if not for people crying about how the main heroine fits more in the 1950s than today (yes because showing mercy to someone is such a BAD thing). :roll:

I have more recommendations I will post later.
alienhulk2099
Baby Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:21 pm

For manga:

Naoki Urasawa's "Monster" is a great crime thriller. (i havent seen the anime that they adapted from it)

Tsutomu Nihei did a surreal cyber punk story called "Blame!" which i loved.

I also liked "20th Century Boys" from Naoki Urasawa (its an epic mystery with lots of classic scifi nods)

Akira.

I used to be a big fan of Berserk, but that series is probably still going and i haven't kept up.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Rody » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:24 pm

I recently finished a manga titled Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. The premise is, an evil mage is threatening the earth with a gigantic biscuit hammer floating above the planet; so to protect the earth, twelve "beast knights" have been chosen to support an appointed princess, and join their strength in destroying the hammer and defeating the mage.
...But there's a catch. What nobody realizes (save one of the beast knights) is that the princess only wants to stop the mage so that she may destroy the earth herself. Earth might be doomed regardless of the victor...
I think it's safe to say Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is not your typical shonen comic. There's plenty of action, and a hearty quantity of humor, but underlying these are some rather dark themes about life and death. I dare say there's even some commentary on suicide present. Many of the characters border on being anti-heroes, at least in the beginning; their troubled pasts and questionable goals make the reader wonder, sometimes, if we should really be rooting for them. What makes the princess any better than the mage if she wants to destroy the earth too? There's a lot of morality play here, and ultimately makes for a rather somber shonen series.
I was very impressed with it, overall. It's a thoughtful, emotional adventure, and I highly recommend checking it out. It's only 65 chapters, and the first graphic novel (combining the first two volumes) has been released in English.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:15 am

Manga:

Attack on Titan
Death Note
Yu-Gi-Oh! (just the original 37 volumes)
Berserk
Dragon Ball
Sailor Moon
Fullmetal Alchemist
One Piece

Anime:

Any Gundam except SEED Destiny, Victory, and 0080
Macross
Golion
Tekkaman Blade
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Attack on Titan
Dragon Ball
One Piece
Noir
RahXephon
Speed Grapher
Tiger & Bunny
Cowboy Bebop
Psycho Pass
Boogiepop Phantom
Ghost in the Shell (all)
Mythical Detective Loki
Code Geass
Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon Crystal
Aldanoah Zero
Samurai 7
Trinity Blood
Hellsing Ultimate
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
Anything Miyazaki related
Redline
Perfect Blue
Big O
Wolf's Rain
Gilgamesh
Cyborg 009
Slayers
Dairugger XV
The Devil is a Part Timer
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:22 pm

Patlabor TV

The Tower Of Druaga

The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye

Record of Lodoss War

Rune Soldier

Trigun

Ouran High School Host Club

Soul Eater

Hero Tales

Fruits Basket

Glass Fleet

Guyver

Negima?

Str.A.In.: Strategic Armored Infantry

Inuyasha

Ragnarok

Pumpkin Scissors
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:59 pm

Forgot to mention I've seen the late Satoshi Kon's Paprika. I definitely saw how it helped inspire other works like Inception.

Two series I'm seriously looking into are FLCL and Gurren Lagann.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Rody » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Gurren Lagann is awesome. FLCL isn't quite my cup of tea, but it bears the same manic energy & comedy style. It's worth watching.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Must see stuff IMO:

Cowboy Bebop (rescued and being re-released soon from Funimation)
Outlaw Star (sometime next year there's a re-release in the works)
Black Lagoon (on sale during Right Stuf's annual 12+ Days of Christmas sale) make sure to get Robertas Blood Trail as well
(It's a omage to action movies, and is pretty dark & bloody)
Slayers (comedy & fantasy classic, hope somebody rescues the movies/OVAs soon)
Redline (hand animated movie about a cool futuristic race)
Hellsing Ultimate (the best vampire show IMO, MUST be watched in English. It's very bloody so be warned)
Macross Plus (get the version that has 4 episodes)
SDF Macross (classic war story with love, giant robots, and music)

Other stuff for fans of Godzilla/Giant Robots/Giant Monsters:

Dai-Guard (might be hard to get since its out of print)
Neo Rangna (attractive girls control a big monster)
Kirameki Project (old school robots vs a giant doll mecha)

Or if you want to get a wide variety of things, check out that Right Stuf sale I mentioned.
Rightstuf has been around for over 20 years (they did this stuff even before the Internet became huge)
Awesome customer service, great prices, and a great community on the message boards.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Anime & Manga