[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Your Least Favorite Anime • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Your Least Favorite Anime

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Your Least Favorite Anime

Postby alienhulk2099 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:31 pm

Polar opposite of the favorites topic, which ones are your least favorite? There is a rule I'd like to have in this topic:

Only count anime you have completed

In other words dropped titles do not count. Of course titles that were dropped, but you bothered finishing are perfectly okay. :P Okay? Okay. Here is every anime I give a 4/10 and below:

There are also a few eroge anime adaptions that would technically qualify (the Fate/ franchise, Muv Luv, Moekan, Prism Ark, Triangle Heart, and Soul Link come to mind), but I don't count those as normal anime so they do not get scores from me.
alienhulk2099
Baby Godzilla

Re: Your Least Favorite Anime

Postby EricDent » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:12 am

So what exactly was wrong with these?

Mai Otome/Mai Hime
Girls Und Panzer
Chobits

While Devil Hunter Yohko wasn't the best, it was at least entertaining IMO.

Plus I kinda liked My Santa! (It's a great show for that time of year IMO).
That show, the Ai Yori Aoishi Christmas episode, and the last episode of Strawberry Marshmallow are a really fun way to bring in that time of year.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby alienhulk2099 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:06 am

alienhulk2099
Baby Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:11 am

Meh I liked chobits. I can't really pick my least favorite anime because if I'm not impressed after 2-3 episodes I stop watching.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:04 pm

Maybe I just like kinda cutesy/echii stuff then?
Cause I really liked all of Girls Und Panzer (even the OVAs), I liked Mai Hime/Mai Otome, and love Chobits.

To be fair here are some shows I didn't like.

Chrono Crusade: I had never read the manga, so I had no clue that thing with the MC was going to happen.
Plus the bad guys never really get beaten.

Noein: the idea was interesting, but it just seemed to drag a lot.
Plus the use of so many techno words was rather hard to follow.

Cyberteam in Akihabara: The show was great, until the end.
Again lots of techno talk, and the ending made no sense.
I do think those Pati-Pi things would be a rather popular toy (same with Angelic Layer).

Hero Tales: it was good up to a certain point, but then got really dumb.
The point being where they try to make the big bad guy a sympathetic character.
Then they go "no, wait he's supposed to be EVIL" so never mind about that stuff.
Plus the main good guy was rather annoying.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:25 am

My-Hime was a fantastic show because its fanservice were written into the plot, so it was not distracting. The show is like Highlander and Kamen Rider Ryuki. Not to mention it had a great composer doing the music to it. So I definitely disagree with you on that. I couldn't get through My-Otome though, so yeah.

Anyway, my least favorite completed series (and you will see something in common):

Evangelion - One of the worst main characters of all time, piss poor writing, convoluted plot, and the ending sucked
Gilgamesh - Ending sucked
Gundam SEED Destiny - Terrible writing, too many clip shows, main character swap, horrible ending
"OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!"!! - Pointless and had no ending
Hellsing - ending sucked
Trigun - did not find Vash all that interesting and the ending sucked
Michiko & Hatchin - second half of the series went down hill and the ending was TERRIBLE!!
Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket - Boring as all hell
Transformers Headmaters - Just flat out terrible with a horrible ending
Transformers MasterForce - Boring, Pretender were dumb as hell, bad ending
Macross Zero - Guess why? Yep, terrible ending and the overall plot of the show was all over the place
Macross 7 - Repetitive, went on for way too long, continuity is screwed up with original show
Sailor Moon Super - Too much focus on Chibi Usa, repetitive, boring, and uninteresting characterization
Dragon Ball GT - Completely ruins Toriyama's characters, contradicts his ending, and is full of piss poor writing

Are we counting movies too? If so:

Cowboy Bebop - BORING!!
DBZ: DZ, ToM, LS, RoC, BR2ndCmg, BioB
Escaflowne - Boring and spat over the series
Fullmetal Alchemist Sacred Stars of Milos - Cliche, characters out of character, and overall, just flat out dumb
Ninja Resurrection - There was no freaking ending
X - Just flat out garbage
Utena - Made no damn sense and that ending was... I don't even know how to say it
Macross II - Messy continuity and overall just stupid
Tekkaman Blade II - Inferior to the TV series and a poor continuation that made no sense

I think I'm going to just stop here as now I'm trying too hard to think of everything I have seen and wanted to forget about.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby alienhulk2099 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:45 am

alienhulk2099
Baby Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Reign the Conqueror.
Ugh.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Rody » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:50 am

Relatively speaking, I suppose I haven't had a lot of anime experience yet; most of the shows I've sought out & watched, I've ended up liking.
Having said that, Bleach was a chore to get through. I don't appreciate characters who have to go through the same development over and over again. I mean, come on, what was the point in the first place then? The pacing in the show was terrible in general, too, especially when it came to action sequences.

I was also thoroughly disappointed with Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa. Although the first Fullmetal Alchemist series interested me with the directions it took, I felt that The Conqueror of Shamballa squandered all of its potential - and shamefully, several of its characters - for a fast-paced action plot that didn't make that much sense anyway. I would have loved to see more of the parallels between the people of the two worlds, but we were only given samplings before getting thrown into a crazy Nazi dimension-invasion story. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the film.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:03 am

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:11 am

I hear Ninja Resurrection is pretty bad.
"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death
hanshotfirst1138
Little Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 am

Honestly this is going to be a short list. If there is an anime I don't like, generally I don't waste my time finishing it. So with the parameter of least favorite, having actually finished, well there isn't much.

Series:
Neon Genesis Evangelion -to be fair, I watched this pretty early on, before it got overly hyped. The robot designs and anime style are pretty good, but the story is absolutely atrocious. I know you need conflict and drama to make a decent story, but the fact that the protagonist is a miserable little puke, and everyone else around him is more awful than he is, just makes me depressed. No thanks. Also the fact that this series is often at the top of anime lists in terms of Mech/Super Robot series just makes me ill. There are so many better Super Robot Series out there.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann -this one, unfortunately I watched based solely on all the hype generated around it. I should have known better. I watched it on Netflix. I really tried to like it, but couldn't. The ideas I guess just had too much over-the-top silliness to me, The series was all over the place. Was it serious? Was it comedy? Was it fan service? I have no idea. The idea of a robots that increased in size/power over time based on gaining new additions was novel, but then when the final form is bigger than the entire galaxy, or whatever it was, sorry you lost me there. I know fantasy is about breaking boundaries, but I'm sorry even in the fantastical world of Super Robots where laws of physics and logic typically don't apply, there has to be some sense of scale. It just seemed like the kid on the playground who said his toy has infinite god-like powers, and destroys your toy. You don't want to play with that kid anymore. Looks like he just got his own anime, and yeah, I'd rather not watch it.

Films
Project A-ko Ah memories. Can't believe its been 25 years now. But back in 1991 I was in highschool. Blockbuster Video started having this thing called "Anime" (which looked a lot like Star Blazers, Voltron & Robotech, stuff I had grown up with). So yeah... it must all be good right? - Wrong! -Project A-ko taught me that not all Anime is Good Anime, and I would have to be more selective in the future.

Dominion Tank Police-Apparently a couple years later I still had not learned my lesson. The Sci-Fi Channel in the early 90's showed 3 great anime classics (Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnival & Lensman). However the next year they started showing more and DTP was one I recorded because- if it's on sci-fi it has to be good right--again I was wrong, and I learned my lesson. I wonder what ever happened to that old VHS :? Probably long gone.

Roujin Z -Now this is odd. This isn't so much a least favorite as much as -I have no recollection of it. I know I watched (perhaps even recorded it) off Sci-Fi, but for the life of me I have no idea what it is about. Kind of sad I cant even remember something I watched.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:11 pm

klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Well, I think there is a topic about favorite series, but since you asked... I enjoy immensely classics such as Mazinger Z and Getter Robo. But if you want a modern take, I'd highly recommend Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact (2009) or Getter Robo Armageddon (1998). Also the Brave series are really fun, of course the most popular being King of Braves GaoGaiGar. It is the perfect meld of Super Robots & Transformers (if that is your thing), as for "Real Robots", yeah...SDF Macross is a classic, but I also enjoy the original MS Gundam (which some people find to be boring), so I might instead recommend Zeta Gundam or 0083.

Gundam Wing was of course immensely popular as it was the first introduced to most Americans on TV thanks to Toonami in 2000 (though the film versions of MS Gundam ,0080, and 0083 had preceded it on VHS a year or so before). G Gundam is a fun series, more closer to the Super Robot genre than the other Gundams.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 am

The Hellsing TV series was done way before the manga was even halfway done.
So of course they had to do a filler arc/ending.

They rectified that with the vastly superior Hellsing Ultimate OVA series (which took over 10 years to finally get done).

As for Trigun, did you watch the ending credits on the last episode?

As for Project A-KO, sure its kinda goofy, but it was made in the '80s.
I do enjoy it, and it has a pretty good soundtrack IMO.
Watching the music video of the ladies who sang the songs (produced in LA) was a trip, due to the '80s hair & fashions.
At least the first movie is a LOT better than the several sequels it had (there's like 4 of them).

Anyhow, basically if I don't like a show I either don't buy it, or if I did (blind buy) then I sell it.
As I get older, I don't have the time to watch as much stuff as I used to, so I usually stick with stuff I already own.
That stuff is things I kept due to knowing I can rewatch them often.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:13 am

Gungrave is now added to my least favorites list.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Anime & Manga