New Macross series announced

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

New Macross series announced

Postby Henry88 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: New Macross series announced

Postby EricDent » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Well that's something we in the USA will most likely never get on DVD/Blu-Ray.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Darn HG! I squarely blame them as I really would love to have a proper release of Macross 7 & Macross Frontier on North American DVD. Man just thinkng of the crap they've pulled in the last 12 months with their Live Love Alive DVD fiasco and attempts to sue Hasbro for a toy design that been a point of contention since both Transformers and Robotech were released in the United States... Oh well, I guess thats what streaming online is for.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.

*Stranger Things and Young Justice, the most recent, unfortunate victims*
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:28 am

Yeah, I see no reason to get excited over this since it will never come to the US. Yeah, I know I can do fansubs, but honestly, I just have no desire to do anything for a series owned by a corporation that would rather people supported pirates and bootleggers than official products.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun May 29, 2016 12:16 am

Shoji Kawamori On 'Macross Delta' And His Hopes For The Series
Ollie Barder wrote:Macross is a long running and much loved saga. Starting back in 1982, with the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, we’ve had all manner of shows and movies in the thirty or more years since. Therefore, it was great again to catch up with Shoji Kawamori, one of the creators of the series, to talk about its latest entry called Macross Delta.

The original Macross dealt with the crash landing of a mysterious alien spaceship that was rebuilt into a giant warship, called the SDF-1 Macross. The resultant technological leaps from the alien ship allowed huge military advancements that culminated in transforming variable fighters.

The reason behind these transforming fighters was that the insides of the alien spaceship were all scaled to that of giants and as such humanity had to be prepared for when the ship’s owners may return.

While the owners didn’t return, their enemies did arrive a decade later and humanity had to face off against these immense new aliens called the Zentradi.

Macross was a hugely popular series back in the 80s and was used as the initial part of the Robotech saga, with Southern Cross and Mospeada making up the later segments.

In addition to the focus on interstellar war, you also had a human scaled love story interwoven with the narrative, a love triangle between a pilot, a singer and a senior military officer. It also dealt with the effect of music and the culture shock it instilled in the invading aliens.

Over the years, Macross has grown and evolved with the musical element becoming increasingly core to the show’s narrative structure, with its effect being far more direct than just simple culture shock.

While the first episode for Macross Delta was released at the end of last year, the series started in full from the beginning of April in Japan. In addition, it’s clear that Macross Delta is trying some very interesting things from a narrative standpoint and building on the musical lineage from past shows.

The biggest takeaway from Delta is that post-Macross Frontier the universe has evolved a great deal. Admittedly, the situation in Frontier was a complex one but Delta builds on all this in what sounds like an interesting and coherent way.

Thankfully, Kawamori was more than happy to explain in more detail about the new narrative setup and how things have changed in the build up to the events in Delta, “Since the events in Macross Frontier, around 7 to 8 years have passed. In addition, the place where Macross Delta is set is also quite far away from where Frontier was based and is actually at the edge of the galaxy.”
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Specium Ray » Sun May 29, 2016 1:53 pm

EricDent wrote:Well that's something we in the USA will most likely never get on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Dr Kain wrote:Yeah, I see no reason to get excited over this since it will never come to the US. Yeah, I know I can do fansubs, but honestly, I just have no desire to do anything for a series owned by a corporation that would rather people supported pirates and bootleggers than official products.

Interestingly enough, the Japanese Blu Rays will have English subs. Between that news and the recent Kawamori interviews, it's clear that they know they have fans abroad and are trying to reach them.
Specium Ray
Godzilla Jr.

Return to Anime & Manga