Attack on Titan

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Attack on Titan

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 am

Nakagawa told me the film was going to be 50% suits and miniatures and 50% CGI and composite-work. That's still a pretty crazy ratio outside of Japan. I'm super-excited.

Also, Nakagawa and Sagae are both super-cool dudes. I love actors but the FX people will always be my favorite guests at GFest.

MouthForWar wrote:And a certain someone I know got to see some pictures off the record and said the Armored Titan especially looks awesome as a suit.

:mrgreen:
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:32 am

I hope this live action adaptation ends up better than the Death Note live actions.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:47 am

You know, a the live action Attack on Titan movie would be an excellent opportunity to take advantage of the Uncanny Valley for the Titans. The Titans are supposed to be creepy after all and using the Uncanny Valley effect, which is normally a limitation, would be a perfect way to convey that creepiness in a live action movie.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Marvel Comics Meet "Attack on Titan" in Official Crossover
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -crossover
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Marvel Vs Attack On Titan

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:12 am

Avengers To Attack The Female Titan On The Streets Of New York
Rich Johnston wrote:We have more information regarding the upcoming Marvel Vs Attack On Titan crossover teased by CB Cebulski earlier this week.

Next week’s Brutus magazine, published in Tokyo, will have a preview of the comics, and will apparently present an “imaginary” story pitting the Avengers against the Female Titan from Attack on Titan, the battle taking place in Marvel’s home, Manhattan.

Attack On Titan creator Hajime Isayama will be drawing the cover for the magazine…
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Attack on Titan TV Anime Gets 2nd Season in 2016
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 016/.81305
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:10 am

Dr Kain wrote:I hope this live action adaptation ends up better than the Death Note live actions.

I like the live action Death Note films. Not perfect, but the characters and story are gripping, so I can forgive its other flaws (like the really, REALLY bad CGI).

Much more than I can say about the first two episodes of Attack on Titan.
The main character (Armin? Eren? Aaron? Erwin?) is the worst main character I've seen in any show...ever, I think. Not that any of the other characters are any better. There's no complex emotions at all, just a TON of whining and clichéd "I never told her how I really felt" type stuff. And the story doesn't help me overlook it. It wears its social commentary so obviously on its sleeves, that it's grating. The haves and the have nots, the true sense of responsibility and honor, complacency versus actually living...it's just so OBVIOUS. Then they blow the premise away in the first 2 episodes, so there's no real mystery in how life got this way, or what the walls are or what the social structure really is.

Coupled with some animation that I think it pretty bad, with the shots that look like they're just lifted from manga pages and zoomed-in-on to try to fool us into thinking it's moving, and the rushes of air for no reason around people when they are talking/arguing...

...I'll gladly eat crow if things turn around, but I kinda hate this right now.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:04 pm

Well, this show is not good.

It gets a little bit better I guess, but the characters are poop, and it's SO talky. It's unbelievably frustrating to attempt to watch it even just for the action sequences because of the amount of dialogue and monologues. Brief instants of time will have full conversations take place within them while characters are galloping on horses and cannons are firing all around, and characters will narrate exactly what's happening and what they're seeing as we do. Proper character introductions and plot exposition don't exist, it's just dumped on us. Rather than let the viewer see that this character is "brash, but loyal" or that one is "meek but intelligent" the show just tells us. Bleh.

It does get better, but it's not good. I hold out some hope that the movie can drop the abundance of talk and let the action scenes progress without interrupting them for multiple monologues, but I doubt it will fix the poop characters and who knows if it will sequel-bait?

I'll give the movie a chance, but 25 episodes of the show is more than enough to be able to wash my hands and walk away.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby DannyBeane » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:40 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Well, this show is not good.

It gets a little bit better I guess, but the characters are poop, and it's SO talky. It's unbelievably frustrating to attempt to watch it even just for the action sequences because of the amount of dialogue and monologues. Brief instants of time will have full conversations take place within them while characters are galloping on horses and cannons are firing all around, and characters will narrate exactly what's happening and what they're seeing as we do. Proper character introductions and plot exposition don't exist, it's just dumped on us. Rather than let the viewer see that this character is "brash, but loyal" or that one is "meek but intelligent" the show just tells us. Bleh.

It does get better, but it's not good. I hold out some hope that the movie can drop the abundance of talk and let the action scenes progress without interrupting them for multiple monologues, but I doubt it will fix the poop characters and who knows if it will sequel-bait?

I'll give the movie a chance, but 25 episodes of the show is more than enough to be able to wash my hands and walk away.

Watch Attack on Titan abridged on youtube... so much better.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:06 am

Funimation Acquires Rights to ATTACK ON TITAN SEASON 2 With Premiere Set For April 2017
Agreement with Kodansha Brings Global Hit Anime Series Back to U.S. & Canada
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Attack on Titan: Season 2 Trailer
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:37 am

Looks like it's only for the first probably 3-4 episodes as everything shown there was in Volumes 9 and half of Voume 10.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:37 am

Attack on Titan Season 2 - Official Promo Video #2
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 am

So I guess Season 2 is only going to be 12 episodes, which is kind of dumb. What was the point of waiting for the manga all of this time when that only gives them the chance to premiere the Beast Titan and reveal the identities of the Armor and Colossus Titans?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:50 pm

The short runs for anime these days boggles my mind. Back in my day a popular, ongoing manga would be dragged out for years, inflated by numerous filler arcs and episodes!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:45 am

As I've gotten older, i really find myself less and less interested in shonen, but I still watch the occasional shonen series (primarily because my circle of friends is all still fairly engaged in it). So I have to say i really enjoyed the premiere of AoT season 2 more than any other episode in the series so far. I think this show would be a lot better off without Eren. Good world building
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Rody » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Dr Kain wrote:So I guess Season 2 is only going to be 12 episodes, which is kind of dumb. What was the point of waiting for the manga all of this time when that only gives them the chance to premiere the Beast Titan and reveal the identities of the Armor and Colossus Titans?

One of the authors over at Sakuga Blog made a good case for the timing of the show, with the announcement of season 3 for next year:

— I’d also like to address the worries that the third season won’t actually happen in 2018, since they seem very prevalent. Productions don’t exist in the ether, so WIT’s other projects and this very own series are tied to that as well. The first important thing to understand here is that despite this second season having been immediately greenlit and the 4 year gap between each series, the show wasn’t being animated for that long; it was in the works in a more general sense, but active production didn’t truly start until late 2016. So what took them so long? The fundamental decisions about the structure. And the solution they arrived at was to split the sequel into a more action heavy second season, then have the political arc as a third season the next year. Whether we’ll return to 2 cours so they can fit more material and thus return to action we don’t know yet, but what’s for sure is that the groundwork for season 3 has already been done.

Overall I thought season 2 was pretty strong. I had been starting to lose interest with the manga, but this anime season reminded me why I found the story so exciting. Hopefully season 3 won't lose steam, since it will be entering some convoluted plot territory.
Rody
Godzilla

Previous

Return to Anime & Manga