Upcoming U.S. Anime Releases - 2017

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Upcoming U.S. Anime Releases - 2017

Postby Henry88 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Last edited by Henry88 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Academy Days by henry88 aka Ghost of Criswell
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3299939/1/Academy-Days
mind dropping a review or perhaps sharing some ideas via pm
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm pumped for Harlock.

I should start watching Galaxy Express 999 on Crunchyroll again, since apparently the DVD release (from a real cheap-o company) is craptacular.

I'm also really tempted to buy the Gaiking compilation movies from Shout Factory - I mean, I know it's dub only and a compilation, but I'd kinda like to check out one of the old school anime super-robots before Pacific Rim.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Gurren Lagann (TV): Complete Collection

$174.98

what in the actual f*ck?
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:42 pm

^An exact port of the crazy, loaded with extras and collectables editions that recently came out in Japan.

I'm hoping they'll come out with a no-frills version later.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:44 pm

I don't care how "loaded" it is. That is WAY overpriced.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Agreed.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:53 am

45 to 50$ would be better
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:16 am

metal_bryan wrote:I don't care how "loaded" it is. That is WAY overpriced.

The BLU-RAY set is over $600.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:46 pm

I mean, I know it's dub only

nothing wrong with a good old dub 8-)

kiryugoji04 wrote:

and I thought the ps3 was overpriced :shock:
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:31 am

Only for One Piece at the moment. Hopefully Funimation can get moving on dubbing Ghost in the Shell ARISE (and get the SAC VAs).

I would be interested in that Gurren Lagan set had it been at a normal price. I mean, for $700, Yoko better come out of the box and give me a damn blow job.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:39 am

Henry88 wrote:
I mean, I know it's dub only

nothing wrong with a good old dub 8-)

It's one of those new dubs. New compilation movies as described here:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... treatment/
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:13 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:

Put out by Aniplex of America, the US subsidiary of Aniplex (Japan). Looks like they've had their American component since 2005 and most their releases have a very Japanese price tag. I'm surprised they are still in business in the US.
And I thought Pioneer's VHS releases were expensive!
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:59 pm

lhb412 wrote:I'm also really tempted to buy the Gaiking compilation movies from Shout Factory - I mean, I know it's dub only and a compilation, but I'd kinda like to check out one of the old school anime super-robots before Pacific Rim.

I got Gaiking on release day, and I really enjoy it Looking forward to Starzinger (aka Spaceketeers) on 8/20/13.

The cool thing is that the 3 movies are basically 5 episodes each (so 15 episodes total) unedited except for the opening/ending credits to each. The end of each film tells you in the credits which 5 episodes were used to make the film. The only point of contention is that they are not all in chronological order. (The middle film has a couple of episodes from earlier on than what the first film ends with) A little "creative re-writing" was used to contrive certain events together. But the integral mid-series and series finale episodes are pretty much in tact. The quality of the dub is pretty good. not the best, but cetainly better than anything ADV or Media Blasters have produced. Also all names as far as I can tell are faithful to the original unless Jim terry's Force-5 dubs

But with the prospect of getting the entire series subbed proably not happening, this is the next best thing. I hope they release the Danguard Ace movies as well at some point in the future. --Also I'm excited finally for a legitimate (and reasonably priced - yeah SCREW YOU Honemaise!) release fo the Super Robots Wars series
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby DerGolem » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:58 pm

O.Supreme wrote:
lhb412 wrote:I'm also really tempted to buy the Gaiking compilation movies from Shout Factory - I mean, I know it's dub only and a compilation, but I'd kinda like to check out one of the old school anime super-robots before Pacific Rim.

I got Gaiking on release day, and I really enjoy it Looking forward to Starzinger (aka Spaceketeers) on 8/20/13.

The cool thing is that the 3 movies are basically 5 episodes each (so 15 episodes total) unedited except for the opening/ending credits to each. The end of each film tells you in the credits which 5 episodes were used to make the film. The only point of contention is that they are not all in chronological order. (The middle film has a couple of episodes from earlier on than what the first film ends with) A little "creative re-writing" was used to contrive certain events together. But the integral mid-series and series finale episodes are pretty much in tact. The quality of the dub is pretty good. not the best, but cetainly better than anything ADV or Media Blasters have produced. Also all names as far as I can tell are faithful to the original unless Jim terry's Force-5 dubs

But with the prospect of getting the entire series subbed proably not happening, this is the next best thing. I hope they release the Danguard Ace movies as well at some point in the future. --Also I'm excited finally for a legitimate (and reasonably priced - yeah SCREW YOU Honemaise!) release fo the Super Robots Wars series

Glad I popped in here. One of my local Best Buys has the Gaiking movie set for $15 and I've also been mighty tempted to pick it up but haven't really heard any feedback in terms of quality.

Amazingly Gaiking is one of the few classic super robot animes that hasn't been fansubbed. I've found quality fansubs for Mazinger Z, Raideen, Combattler, Dangard and other series that haven't gotten official US releases but nothing for Gaiking. Well I shouldn't say nothing since one group has subbed the 2005 remake Gaiking, but I want the original.

So if you guys think the Shout! Factory dub is worth the $15 price tag I'll probably go ahead and grab it.
Last edited by DerGolem on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DerGolem
Godzilla Jr.

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm glad you did also. We may be getting into PM territory soon, but I've actually had a really difficult time finding fansubs of most Super Robot series. I mean I finally got the "Fab 5" from Go Nagai (Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, & Grendizer) but two of those five were just made available for the first time very recently. I also have a few others but...

I only have the first few eps of Reideen subbed, I have no idea where to find the rest, and I've never seen a Dangard sub. I've never seen a sub for the original Jeeg either (that would be next on my list) or Tetsujin 28.

DerGolem wrote:So if you guys think the Shout! Factory dub is worth the $15 price tag I'll probably go ahead and grab it.

Absolutely. Thats about what I paid on Amazon. You are basically getting 15 episodes, so @ $1 per episode. Sure they are only dubbed, and slightly re-written, but tis still nice to have, and will hopefully encourage similiar releases down the line. Oh and I noticed it wasn't on the list, but supposedly Discotek is goign to begin releasing Mazinger Z on DVD at the end of this year. i can finally get rid of my "Crab Stick" subs :lol:
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby DerGolem » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:34 pm

OK cool, I'll definietly pick it up then. I'll also PM you later this evening about fansubs.
DerGolem
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:12 pm

O.Supreme wrote:I got Gaiking on release day, and I really enjoy it Looking forward to Starzinger (aka Spaceketeers) on 8/20/13.

Sounds good!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:31 am

Hopefully if those do well, somebody will grab the Voltus V & put that on DVD.
I had an old VHS of that show (Hi-Tops Video) and it was pretty good.

BTW this is my first visit to this site in a few months.
Lets just say certain people need to stop being so stuck-up about posting about other message boards.

If you really love Godzilla, you should be willing to spread that love to as many people/places as possible.

Which is why I go to several places to spread my love of anime.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Awesome news!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... gatchaman/

but even the appeal of having this on BRD wont cause me to double-dip after investing fully in ADV's previous release (and Rhino's partial release before that). However if they also release Gatchaman II & Gatchaman F, I'll definitely be adding those to my collection
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:02 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:09 pm

my dad will like this.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:03 am

Godannar is pretty fun! It's getting a re-release soon.

If you haven't checked out Royal Space Force The Wings of Honnemaise yet, that's also getting re-released.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:46 pm

So... today was supposed to be the relase day of the Super-Robot Wars (Divine Wars & OG) Anime Series--I'm hoping the Inspector will be next...Anyway, these were first released on DVD subbed by one of Bandai USA's sub-labels Honneamise

Back in 2007. of course the prices were outrageous so I passed (actually I bought a dirt-cheap version from Singapore but anyway...) . But todays release was reasonably proced so I pre-ordered from Amazon & all was well...or so I thought.

I got an e-mail from Amazon stating the titles were on backorder "3-6 weeks"...and thought this all sounds eerily familiar. Of course I should have checked who picked up the liscense. Yes of course, it had to be Anime Works aka "Media Blasters" :x . I had hoped after the Megalon debacle (and half a dozen other titles going back to 2007) never to deal with them again. I didn't even know they were still acquiring titles. I did go on to read a statement from the company manager from back in March, he is trying to "right the ship", but it seems things are business as usual at MB, which means they cant keep a street date to save their souls. Oh well. I guess I'll just put these two on the back burner and enjoy the surprise when it comes 3,6, or 9 months down the road, if at all...
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:29 pm

At the Sunrise panel at Otakon, some Bandai Entertainment license rescues were announced. Surprisingly, Sentai Filmworks license rescued The Big O.

UPDATE: FUNimation announced that they have also license rescued Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, and the My-HiME shows.

The license rescues include:

FUNimation
- Tales of the Abyss
- Witch Hunter Robin
- Banner of the Stars (seasons 1 & 2)
- Angel Links
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (seasons 1 & 2 with Akito the Exiled)
- Crest of the Stars
- Passage of the Stars - Birth
- Cowboy Bebop
- Outlaw Star
- The Vision of Escaflowne (with the movie)
- My-HiME
- My-Otome
- My-Otome 0~S.ifr~
- My-Otome Zwei

Sentai Filmworks
- s-CRY-ed
- Argento Soma
- Betterman
- Brain Powered
- Infinite Ryvius
- Overman King Gainer
- Sacred Seven
- The Big O (seasons 1 & 2)
- Zegapain
- Z-Mind
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
- Kurokami: The Animation
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Nice. I'll surely upgrade Cowboy Bebop to Blu, and I might for Outlaw Star (let me go back and check how good my DVDs looks upscaled).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to Anime & Manga