What are you watching/or completed? (Anime)

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Speaking of Gundam, I finished re watching Season 2. Season 2 ended up being pretty satisfying actually. I think the problem is that the whole season lacks the suspense and build up of the first because it's trying to mop up problems caused by the events of the first season. Still, I'm looking forward to watching the movie some time this week.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:58 pm

I think it was the original Gundam on Cartoon Network.

I mean the mechs look cool, but something about the storylines was just way too boring.

Might try again a bit later.

Finished Kaze no Stigma, the ending was pretty decent.

Also finished the Cyberteam in Akihabara it has a good ending, just they seem to want to do more (since the scene after the credits on the last episode seems that way).
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Yeah, I mean...I appreciate the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but there are much better Gundam series.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 pm

I also caught a few random episodes of Gundam Wing & G Gundam.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Bought the K-ON! Anime Legends set at a local Best Buy.

Watched the first 4 episodes, so far it's pretty fun, and has a kind of "laid back" feel.

The dub voices are pretty nice, and I know Cristina Vee can seriously sing very well, so I am interested in hearing the English versions of the songs later in the show (they are bonus features).
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:52 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:Just finished Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Blech. The show has a lot of good ideas, but most of them are never realized in a competent way. I can't tell if it wants to be an awesome scifi show or a goofy ass cartoon and it never strikes any kind of balance. Another problem is just how terrible the love triangle is. IT IS SUPER OBVIOUS MINMEI IS TERRIBLE. She's selfish, abusive, and insane most of the series. The culmination of the triangle is a frustrated "FINALLY!" rather than anybody being on the edge of their seats. The show also falls apart in its third act. After the major battle for earth the show kind of meanders around before it just ends. I mean. Wtf? It's actually okay for the time it came out and it has a couple of really neat concepts but jeezus. There's a movie adaptation thing for this, I believe, and hopefully that's a little better.

Are you nuts?! It's one of the best shows ever!

And,yeah,Eric,the uncut movie is WAY different from the "bionoids" version.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 am

I've watched a fair amount of anime and I'd never put that show anywhere near the best shows ever.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Finished Gundam 00 with finally watching Awakening of Trailblazer.

It was, okay. It's kind of a let down, even with Season 2's flaws, by the end it really feels like it regains the momentum and energy of the first season. This, however kind of drops the ball. The worst thing is that we never get a decent enough ending for our other characters, just Setsuna and the princess. I wasn't all that fond of the aliens, either. I really don't understand the hate I keep reading in reviews, though. It's not a trainwreck of a film, it's just kind of okay, merely good. I think the concept, the hype, and everything else tainted a number of people's view of the film.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:41 am

The one big difference in the Robotech version of Macross & SDF Macross is how they handle the love triangle.

IIRC Robotech had Rick basically dump Minmay for Lisa Hayes.
In Macross Minmay actually dumps him when she figures out what's going on.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 am

EricDent wrote:The one big difference in the Robotech version of Macross & SDF Macross is how they handle the love triangle.

IIRC Robotech had Rick basically dump Minmay for Lisa Hayes.
In Macross Minmay actually dumps him when she figures out what's going on.

The flaw, to me, doesn't really hinge on that, it's just that Minmei sucks and it's clear from the get go that she's waste of time.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:57 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I've watched a fair amount of anime and I'd never put that show anywhere near the best shows ever.

Each to their own, as they say. I'm not all that fond of Evangelion or most of the Gundam series, but quite a few folks would consider those the be-all and end-all of anime. I can appreciate 'em since they've influenced so much that came after them - including a fair few of my favourite shows - but they'd be far from favourites themselves.
I do like Macross, though I'm not as crazy about it as I was in years past. Still have a fair bit of fondness for Robotech too, since I grew up with that one.

I've been watching a few episodes from various GeGeGe no Kitaro series - some from the '60s, a couple of '80s eps and one from the 2007 show. It's interesting seeing how the characters and stories have changed over the years, and what's remained the same. Rat Man hasn't changed a bit - he's till the same conniving scoundrel he always was. :) Sure, he's manipulative, selfish and changes sides at the drop of a hat, but he never comes off as completely evil. Greedy, certainly, but there's not an ounce of malevolence in him. Anyway, love the show. There's a great selection of bizarre monsters here, plus it can be quite creepy for what's essentially a kid's show.

Also watched a couple of eps of Dororo recently. A cyborg swordsman wanders across feudal era Japan, accompanied by a young thief who joins him in searching for the 48 demons who'd swiped his body parts at birth. I'm amazed at how violent the show was, and quite creepy too. Can't wait to see more of that one.
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm not writing off Macross in full, mind. I think it's still pretty swell and has a lot of great concepts. I'm more excited to see the sequel series and see what they did with it...I just feel like it fails more than it succeeds.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:48 pm

I have the Kitaro live action movie, and it was pretty fun.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:56 am

Bought Mouse (complete series) from HPB for $10.

Also watched a couple more episodes of Noein, still really odd.

Will try to finish disc 1 of that tomorrow.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Watched the rest of disc 1 of Noein, still pretty weird & random.

Though this IS the series that has the infamous outtake (in the dub) of "CCCRispin Freeman get out of my bedroom!"

Also watched some more K-ON! still pretty darn fun & cute. The songs are pretty decent, even though they do have some rather odd titles.
For example: My love is like a stapler.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:49 pm

That's the whole thing, Mio writes weird ass songs, with even weirder titles. :lol:
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 am

Just finished Guilty Crown. Pretty great. Definitely one of my favorites.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:56 am

I finished K-ON awhile back, I am trying not to hog my own title.
I also watched disc 2 of Noein, will try to watch disc 3 soon.
Blew right through Mouse (only 12 episodes) and though most of the show is pretty silly & very fanservice heavy, the ending seemed to want to go in a serious direction.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:37 pm

About a month ago I started binging on vampire anime on Netflix watching Dancing in the Vampire Bund, Black Blood Brothers and discovered an anime called Rosario Vampire. Rosario Vampire has become my obsession I've watched both seasons now probably about 5 time or more. Even started reading the manga and I never read manga. I really wish they'd make a season 3 thought because I feel like the anime wasn't finished.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:50 am

I also liked Rosario a lot.
It would be cool for a season 3 (or movie), but I think that has passed us by.

Dance on the Vampire Bund was an interesting show, though all the very blatant loli nudity kinda made even me a bit disturbed.

Black Blood Brothers was trying way too hard to be like both Hellsing & Trinity Blood.

Speaking of Hellsing, not sure if you guys/gals are aware that Funimation got the license to Hellsing Ultimate (and maybe the short Hellsing series as well). They are currently dubbing parts 5-8 with a California company, do yes all the dub actors from the older volumes 1-4 will be coming back.
Especially the awesome Crispin Freeman, who just IS Alucard.

Funimation is also re-releasing volumes 1-4 in case you missed out on the older Geneon versions.

So if you want more vampire stuff, I highly suggest you grab that when it comes out.

Also these:

Trinity Blood
Karin (AKA Chibi Vampire) (though it is out of print)
Moon Phase
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Stopped watching Harlock on Hulu 'cause a DVD set should be coming out soon. Started watching Galaxy Express 999 on Crunchyroll.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Yeah, Discotek Media licensed Harlock, though I'm not sure when it'll be released. Probably sometime after they get the first series of Lupin out the door. Galaxy Express is getting the dvd treatment too, though S'more entertainment are releasing that one.

I've been watching some '60s Astro Boy episodes lately. I love how experimental that show was - the black & white visuals have an odd dreamlike quality to them, like a bizarre mixture of old Disney and Fleischer cartoons mixed with classic sci-fi and monster movies. Some of the episodes would remind you of the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits, or even Ultra Q. (especially the one with the giant snails) Love the eerie electronic sound effects too - it's not unlike what the Radiophonic workshop were doing for Doctor Who.
I don't want to sound like some miserable old curmudgeon, but it's pretty refreshing to watch an anime series that's so different to more recent stuff, even though it influenced so much of what came after it. The show just doesn't feel like anything that's out right now.
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:59 am

Bought and watched the first half of Birdy The Mighty Decode (complete collection).

It's a good show that has good action, cool Sci-Fi stuff, and fun characters.
The dub is well done, and this is another one of Luci Christian's best roles IMO.

Will try to finish Noein soon, cause I got the last disc today from Netflix.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:54 am

Watching the new Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine at funimation.com They are simulcasting the episodes as they come out and medium rez streams are available to watch for free anytime.

Thanks kiryugoji04 for the heads up on that one.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby kidnicky » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:16 am

lhb412 wrote:Stopped watching Harlock on Hulu 'cause a DVD set should be coming out soon. Started watching Galaxy Express 999 on Crunchyroll.

999 is like the best show ever.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Anime & Manga