What are you watching/or completed? (Anime)

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby EricDent » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:51 am

Finished Gatekeepers 21, got the Redline movie from Netflix, will watch tommorow.

Kinda took a break from watching Sister Princess, mostly cause I have been busy at work & also felt a bit sick the last few days.

BTW wanted to mention that Fry's (the place I work now) is having a month long BOGO sale on both Funimation & Sentai stuff. That's buy one get one half price. You have to buy 2 of the same company to get it though, no mix and match. It's also available on Frys website as well.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:50 am

I'm watching the original "Space Battleship Yamato". I've never watched it before, but after the live action version, I had to go to the source material. Good stuff.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:29 pm

lhb412 wrote:Sherlock Hound is on Youtube. I should really watch that - Miyazaki directing several episodes and all.

Miyazaki only directed five episodes, but his influence is pretty much all over the show. It's a fun series, though. I need to get back to it myself, but I've been engrossed in other stuff recently.

Finished watching The Ultraman not too long ago. Pretty cool series, and it really does feel like a proper Ultraman series for the most part - when it's not imitating Space Battleship Yamato, that is. Loads of cool monsters too, plus a few familiar faces, like Red King, Earthtron, and a Baltan makes an appearance in one ep as well.
I've been watching a fair bit over the last couple of months - got through The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Redline, Project Blue Earth SOS, Heaven's Lost Property, and the Gegege no Kitaro movies.
Been on a Cyborg 009 binge as well, as I've been watching both the '60s and '70s series. Hopefully I'll get round to the more recent one at some stage. I still need to finish Gear Fighter Dendoh too. Don't know when I'll get 'round to that one.
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 am

Redline was really cool & awesome!
The artstyle was a bit similar to Heavy Metal crossed with Aeon Flux.

The race itself was insane and the characters were all cool.

Really good dub as well, I recognized a few voices from Code Geass/FLAG stuff.

Started back up with about 3 more episodes of Sister Princess, kinda wonder what direction this show is going to take. It is starting to hint at maybe a dark past starting to catch up with him.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Up to episode 13 of Guilty Crown, and this show (which I immediately liked) has hit that perfect stride of my totally digging each and every episode.

Gundam 00 re-watch continues to be great, though as I watch the dub episodes I kind of wish they had done accents for the different characters who are from basically EVERYWHERE, but it's not a big deal. Especially since that could have gone horribly wrong.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:43 am

Watched the Professor Layton & The Eternal Diva movie.
Pretty good stuff, if you like the games you will like this.
Though for dome odd reason they used the UK Luke instead of the US one in the dub. A little different sounding than her (both are done by a woman).
Layton has the same voice as usual.

Also watched the first 4 episodes of Rosario + Vampire.
Pretty fun stuff. Cute girls, funny situations, good action, and lots of fan-service (loads of underwear shots). As usual we have a split-personality girl, an over-agressive girl, and the loli-girl.

Along with the guy who is a human (the girls are monster types).
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:14 pm

I've been putting it off for a long time, but now that it's on Netflix subtitled and in full... I have no excuse. I've started watching Monster.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Rosario + Vampire was pretty much garbage from what I recalled. Excessive fanservice and low quality animation. Though, the fanservice was so excessive it became hilarious...and that is why I finished the first series.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:10 am

I finished Rosario+Vampire, I guess I don't really notice the animation being "crappy" as much. As long as the story & characters are good.

It was a fun show, and I plan to get the 2nd season as soon as I can.

Started on Cyberteam in Akihabra, looks pretty random so far. But it could be good as well. It's hard to tell on just 1 episode.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Just finished the first 15 eps of Digimon Savers. Weird, huh? I used to be obsessed with Digimon, and the show reached its peak with Tamers (which is a really great show period). Frontier kind of lost me but I managed to finish it up later on in HS. Now I'm going back to finish this just to know what went on with what was once one of my favorite franchises. Savers kind of sucked, it felt like Tamers (only done poorly). Episode 15 added some much needed depth, but I'm puzzled by why I'm remembering Frontier more fondly than this. Come on Savers, impress me! It could also be that Tamers wasn't as good as I recall. I'll rewatch it after this, but as it is Savers has been the worst Digimon show yet.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:54 am

Just finished the last disc of Season 1 of Gundam 00. Just as great as I remembered. I really can't wait to re-watch Season 2. I hope it holds up as well as season 1 did.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:24 am

Mushi-Shi
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:52 pm

Raghjkdhldfasfhkdf. I just finished Episode 16 of Guilty Crown...
It was well written and beautifully animated and had a fantastic score.
All of that has just continued to get better. I can't recommend this enough (probably because anymore it's rare that I find a new anime that I like). It takes a while to build up where it's going, but damn once it gets going it's pretty great.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:30 pm

so...I don't really watch much anime AT ALL. in fact, up until a couple days agao when I saw Akira for the first time, the only anime I'd ever see was DBZ (and DBGT)

Yesterday, I watched the first 6 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I'll post my thoughts in the thread for Evangelion.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby EricDent » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 am

king_ghidorah wrote:Mushi-Shi

Nice choice!

That show is just so darn good in every way.

Finally on the last disc of Sister Princess, apparently this Akio person that the main guy keeps e-mailing is going to show up in the next episode.
The last few episodes have been about a single one of the sisters.

Also watched the first disc of Cyberteam in Akihabara, kinda a mix of magical girl & kinda random Sci-Fi stuff. They have this upgradable pet thing called a Pata Pi. If it was real it would sell like crazy, cause it's rather cute.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:14 pm

It's a very slow, peaceful show. Watching it is like meditating lol. I have a routine of watching an ep before I go to sleep every night. Trying to watch that show in the middle of the day is next to impossible, it's just that slow lol. But it's very good! :)
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:48 am

Finished Sister Princess, had a happy ending. Though the last 2 episodes were kinda sad.

On the 2nd disc of Cyberteam in Akihabara still kinda odd at times, but also kinda funny as well.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:19 am

Just finished Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Blech. The show has a lot of good ideas, but most of them are never realized in a competent way. I can't tell if it wants to be an awesome scifi show or a goofy ass cartoon and it never strikes any kind of balance. Another problem is just how terrible the love triangle is. IT IS SUPER OBVIOUS MINMEI IS TERRIBLE. She's selfish, abusive, and insane most of the series. The culmination of the triangle is a frustrated "FINALLY!" rather than anybody being on the edge of their seats. The show also falls apart in its third act. After the major battle for earth the show kind of meanders around before it just ends. I mean. Wtf? It's actually okay for the time it came out and it has a couple of really neat concepts but jeezus. There's a movie adaptation thing for this, I believe, and hopefully that's a little better.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:40 am

Macross Do You Remember Love was OK, unless the uncut version is way better than the "Clash of the Bionoids" version I saw on VHS.

On the 3rd disc of Cyberteam, pretty good stuff.

Also borrowed Allison & Lillia Generation 2 from the library, will watch later.

Bought both Kaze no Stigma & Rosario+Vampire Season 2 on DVD.

Started watching Rosario, still pretty funny stuff.

Got a new phone, so hopefully I can still post often.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:45 am

I'm caught up on Guilty Crown and it's still awesome, and watching it alongside Gundam AGE makes AGE seem all the much more worse. I've watched the first 10 episodes of Season 2 of Gundam 00. It's still awesome, although it seems crazy how many characters survive really close calls of the previous season. I will say this, S2 starts out really strong but loses some of its steam, which is unlike S1. I remember liking it well enough, though...so maybe it'll pick up in a bit.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:12 am

Finished Allison & Lillia Generation 2, had a pretty decent ending. Though not sure if Lillia ever found out her dad was Major Travers (Will changed his identity like Allison's dad did in the first part of the show).

Also saw The Secret World of Arriety (pronounced Air-a-etty) very well done, as usual with the Disney dubbing of the Studio Ghibli movies it's very well done.
BTW it's now the highest grossing Ghibli movie in the USA, and is #5 on the list of highest grossing anime movies in the US. Of course it would take a miricle for anything to pass the first Pokemon movie at the top.

Started on Kaze no Stigma, pretty good stuff. I really get a kick out of the love/hate relationship in this show.

Now just finished disc 4 of Cyberteam, kinda wonder which way the show will go.

Finished the first disc of Rosario Capu 2, still pretty wacky stuff.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:16 am

Finished Rosario+Vampire Capu 2, kind of seemed to end on a to be continued? Vibe.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm continuing through Gundam 00. I've got 6 Episodes left before I finish re watching Season 2. I've heard people say it's a let down compared to season 1, and I don't know if I'd go that far. Most of the time I'm really satisfied with the story, but at the same time I feel like S2 feels like it's not going anywhere because of how S1 ended. They united the world (sort of) it's just that the Innovators show up and Celestial Being has to try and fix it. It's not a bad thing, but I'm sure there could have been a more interesting way of continuing the story.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 pm

I tried to get into Gundam, but it just kept seeming to drag on.

On the last disc of Kaze no Stigma, and it's still pretty good.

Also going to be on the last disc of Cyberteam in Akihabara, the last episode on disc 5 was really full of technobable.

Not sure what the heck I will watch next, been trying to figure out if I want to buy Birdy The Mighty Decode, just wondering do you have to have seen the original version to know what's going on?
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:30 pm

EricDent wrote:I tried to get into Gundam, but it just kept seeming to drag on.

...which Gundam?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Anime & Manga