What are you watching/or completed? (Anime)

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby EricDent » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:05 am

Forgot to mention finishing Noein, kinda a odd ending.
Not sure if it was implying a loop, or that no matter what Haruka was going to die at a young age.

Bought Heroic Age SAVE watched the first 3 discs already, it's a really good show. Very epic & full of rather sweeping music (though it seems that full orchestra music in anime is getting rather rare).

Watched disc 3 of Birdy, did not realize that apparently the last episode (on the 4th disc) is supposed to be before the 2nd half of the show. Oh well I guess it will be OK.

Got (& watched) the first disc of Samurai Deeper Kyo via Netflix DVD service. Not really sure about this one, the characters & action are cool.
It's just the story seems a bit flat for some reason.

Also decided to increase the number of discs from Netflix.
Since I dropped the streaming part, the max is 2, but that is better than one at a time (was taking sometimes a month to finish stuff).
Only increased the cost by $4.

Might buy Kino's Journey, since quite a few people suggested it.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:47 am

Kino's Journey is reaallly goood from what I remember of it.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 am

I did buy Kino's Journey, and watched a couple of episodes.
Looks pretty nice, and so far the stories are interesting.
Though I kinda wish they had not shown the bunnies getting shot.
Bunnies are way too cute to shoot & eat IMO.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 am

Well Kino's Journey I liked mostly for the weird twilight zone-ish/dark nature of the stories.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:59 am

Finished these:

Kino's Journey: short but nice, maybe somehow Sentai could get the movies/OVA of this & dub them.

Heroic Age: boy what a cool ending to a rather epic show. Makes you hopeful for the human race (if we ever get our asses to Mars).

Birdy The Mighty Decode: I found out a bit too late to fix the small issue of watching the last episode on the DVDs as the bridge between seasons 1 & 2 (they really need to move that episode to where it belongs on the discs). So I treated that episode as a bonus episode. Still the ending was OK, though they left quite a bit just hanging. Hopefully there is another season/movie that ties everything up (not just a "go read the manga" ending).

Speaking of endings, exactly why do so many anime have sad, open ended, or very vague endings? Are they popular in Japan when they do that?

Also how are the Mad House Marvel anime shows (Iron Man & X-Men)?
They are pretty cheap at Walmart ($14 each).
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:27 pm

I watched some of the Marvel Iron Man anime, but mostly I find the way Madhouse draws humans to be hideous and I couldn't stick with it past episode 2.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:08 pm

EricDent wrote:Birdy The Mighty Decode: I found out a bit too late to fix the small issue of watching the last episode on the DVDs as the bridge between seasons 1 & 2 (they really need to move that episode to where it belongs on the discs). So I treated that episode as a bonus episode. Still the ending was OK, though they left quite a bit just hanging. Hopefully there is another season/movie that ties everything up (not just a "go read the manga" ending).

You'd be right to treat it as a bonus episode, as it was released after the second season finished. I wouldn't mind another series either, but I'd read somewhere that it didn't do too well in Japan sales-wise, so there's little to no chance of a sequel there.
Then again, who'da thunk a 4 episode OVA from 1996 would get a full series 12 years later? You never know, it might come back at some undetermined future stage.

At least that's what I keep telling myself, anyway. :)

We've been seeing a fair few sequels and remakes of older shows in recent years - Slayers, Casshern, Yatterman, Mazinger, and now Lupin III and Yamato as well. I love when older shows are brought back.
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Tue May 01, 2012 1:25 am

Bought My Hime (Anime Legends) at a local Buybacks.

Still also watching Samurai Deeper Kyo via Netflix DVD service.
It seemed to get a lot better on the 2nd disc, still not really planning on buying it though.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sat May 05, 2012 2:40 am

Finished Samurai Deeper Kyo, it had a pretty decent ending.
Though it never really showed who won in the last duel between Kyo & Kyoshiro.

I guess Netflix did goof a bit and Rozen Maiden was a bit of a wait (gets here later), so cause the first disc of Tweeny Witches also has a wait they sent me disc 2 of that. I just sent it back without watching, and will move some stuff around to get it back later.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sat May 05, 2012 3:53 am

The Anime Network started running Rozen Maiden a few weeks ago, other than a short description blurb I didn't know anything about the series. I think they're up to the fifth episode this week and the series has been pretty neat so far.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Thu May 10, 2012 1:16 am

Still slowly watching My Hime, still pretty good.
Watched the first disc of Rozen Maiden, not sure if I will like this or not.
So far it's leaning towards not, mostly due to the rather nasty (for no reason) main guy.

I am almost done with Silverhawks (technically anime), and kinda thinking about buying the rest from Warner Archive.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Fri May 11, 2012 3:25 am

I made a mistake, the Anime Network is running Rozen Maiden 2. I don't know what the first season is like, but this RM2 kicked off the central plot rather quickly.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 11, 2012 11:31 am

I watched like the first 4 episodes of the first Rozen Maiden series and generally liked it. Animation wasn't much, but the story is kind of fun.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Fri May 11, 2012 6:57 pm

EricDent wrote:Finished Samurai Deeper Kyo, it had a pretty decent ending.
Though it never really showed who won in the last duel between Kyo & Kyoshiro.

I honestly couldn't stand the anime when I went through it. I'd read several of the early volumes of the manga, and I swear that despite them being collections of static pictures, they had more animation than the anime. Plus, it really wasn't necessary for them to add monsters... or time traveling (or whatever the hell was going on with that; it's been a while since I saw it). Migeira was an alright addition, even with his magical machine gun arm, but the only other salvageable things from that show (as I see it) are the English bloopers. Those make me wish the entire show had been dubbed that way. I dunno, maybe it's not as bad as I make it sound, but for me it was a serious disappointment.

I don't usually watch much anime, but the last series I got through was Mobile Fighter G Gundam, which is one of my favorite things in the world just because of how awesomely ridiculous it is. Tonight, I'm thinking I might watch the Birth of Devilman OVA. I like the looks of this Devilman stuff (thanks, Rob Zombie concert!), so I may as well try and see what it's all about. I'm hoping to check out the TV series at some point, too.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Mon May 14, 2012 2:38 am

I had heard something about Rob Zombie doing that at his concerts.
Though I thought he quit doing those to be a director.

As usual the 2nd disc of Rozen Maiden makes me want to finish it now.
The guy is getting better as it goes along, and the dolls are starting to warm up to him as well.

Though I doubt I would buy this particular show.

Speaking of buying stuff, Fry's (where I work) is doing yet another buy one get one half price deal on both Funimation & Section 23 (Sentai, ADV, Maiden Japan) stuff. It's on the Fry's website as well, and lasts until May 31.
I don't think it let's you mix the companies though, so you have to buy 2 of either company to get it.

Also Right Stuf (I hang out on those message boards as well) is doing a Funimation sale as well. At least 40% off those until Thursday.
Yes it includes pre-orders as well.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue May 15, 2012 1:32 pm

There are a lot of really good anime series on Hulu that are not offered on Netflix. I've been watching Gaiking:The Legend of Daikumaryu & The Original Super Dimensional Fortress:Macross series (not Robotech)
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue May 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Yeah, that's where I watched Macross. Funimation also has some good stuff on there.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Wed May 16, 2012 1:23 am

Quick reminder this is the Netflix DVD service (yes they still offer that), so there are a TON of older anime still in their DVD library.
In fact the Rozen Maiden I am watching is the older Geneon version, and not the more recent Sentai re-release.

I do kinda wish they would figure out there are newer versions of several of the older shows. Especially ones that are missing discs, or are really hard to find (IE really long waits).

I own SDF Macross, one of the very rare occasions where I actually watched the Japanese version first (this is the ADV dubbed version), and still have not gotten around to watching it in English.

Mostly since I have pretty fond memories of the Robotech versions dub.

Anyhow I finished Rozen Maiden (1st season) pretty decent ending.
Started the 2nd season, and the new doll (good guy side) is pretty fun. The new bad guy doll is pretty darn powerful.
Kinda wonder how long it will take them to figure out that the "Father" the dolls keep talking about is only a few blocks away...
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am

EricDent wrote:I own SDF Macross, one of the very rare occasions where I actually watched the Japanese version first (this is the ADV dubbed version), and still have not gotten around to watching it in English.

Mostly since I have pretty fond memories of the Robotech versions dub.

I know that the Original Macross with dual language DVD has had multiple releases over the past decade or so, but has there been more than one english dub??
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Wed May 16, 2012 11:33 pm

There was the Robotech dubbed version of the Macross Saga, and the ADV dubbed version of SDF Macross.

The Robotech version is a tad different than Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. First of all a lot of "background" music was added to the Robotech version (including the famous Robotech theme). Also the songs that Minmay song were vastly different. (will post links later, if you want you can try looking on YouTube for Robotech songs & Macross songs).
The one other thing is how SDF Macross handles the famous love triangle beween Hikaru Ichijoji (Rick Hunter), Misa Hayase (Lisa Hayes), and Minmay.
I won't spoil it, but let's just say it ends much different.

Their might be an international version (done by Animax), but it's not sold in the USA. In fact the only version that's still in print is the Robotech version.
That got recently re-released by Harmony Gold and A&E (yes the TV channel).

There was a sub-only release of SDF Macross by AnimEgo, but that's way out of print. The ADV version is also out of print, and the companies that ADV split into (Sentai, Maiden Japan, Switchblade Pictures, and Section 23) have not re-licensed it yet.

Which is kinda odd, since one of the main reasons that ADV formed in the first place was due to the founders getting tired of fan copied VHS tapes (raw with subs you could print out). Since they just copied a previous copy of the VHS tape they had, the quality started going down hill really quick.

The one kinda cool thing about the ADV dub is that they got Mari Ijima (maybe spelled different) who played Lynn Minmay in the Japanese version, to do Minmay in English for the dub (not sure if she sang in English as well).
Last edited by EricDent on Wed May 16, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed May 16, 2012 11:42 pm

I didn't know that about Minmay. Neat.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu May 17, 2012 11:30 pm

So I went through the two Devilman OVA's released by ADV back in the day (Devilman: The Birth and Devilman: Demon Bird). I liked them, although the former is definitely better than the latter. Demon Bird just feels like a protracted fight scene, which is fine in itself, but the setup was a bit weak. The villains don't get much development - I guess the creepy bird lady with wings on her head is in love with the cat-headed laser-shooting Blastoise, but that's about all I know. I also think the first 13 minutes could've been made into a stand-alone thing, since they don't have much (if any) connection to the rest of the film. Overall, though, it was still enjoyable.

The Birth was more interesting, though, since it deals with Devilman's origins and actually bothers to develop its characters - something which Demon Bird lacked (but didn't necessarily need, what with being the sequel and all). I don't have much to say about it except that it's worth a watch. And also a car door transforms into a tentacled vagina monster, but that's nothing shocking.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Mon May 21, 2012 1:01 am

Finished My-Hime, I went with the directors cut version of episode 26.
It had a pretty decent ending, now I might buy myself a late B-Day gift of Mai-Otome & Mai-Otome Zwei.

Also finished Rozen Maiden (first season), and started on Traumund (2nd season). The 2nd season seems like it will be a bit more fun than the first.

Bought both El Cazador de la Bruja & Linebarrels of Iron (version that includes the OVAs).

Started on Linebarrels, pretty decent so far. Though it's hard to tell on the first 6 episodes where a 26 episode show is going.

I have seen El Cazador before, and I enjoyed it.
Though the "Taco song" does get stuck in your head forever...
Now I own all 3 of the "girls with guns" trilogy (Noir, Madlax, & El Cazador).
Though I have heard Cannan is kinda considered a part of that, making it a quadralogy?
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sat May 26, 2012 3:48 am

Up to the 3rd disc of Linebarrels, still pretty cool.
As usual in this kind of show, about the halfway point, they like to throw a big plot twist.

Also watched the first disc of Agent Aika (long wait on Rozen Maiden Tramund) if you like panty shots, you'll love this.

Basically the entire show revolves around showing as many panty shots (usually white panties) as much as possible. This and Najica Blitz Tactics are from the same studio, so they are similar. Aika does have a more interesting story, so it's not quite as bad as Najica was. Since the story is better the panties are not as distracting as they could be.

There is also a short live-action version on the DVDs. As in the anime, there are plenty of panty shots (if you like Asian girls this might get you kinda excited). Though in the anime the panties are a lot more revealing than the ones in the live action version. The ones in the live action version are similar to cheerleader panties, while the anime versions look like a page out of Victoria's Secret or Fredericks of Hollywood (IE as revealing as possible without being nude). Though they do show a lot of the girls nude as well (yes there are nipples).

If I am being too graphic, please let me know.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun May 27, 2012 1:10 am

Saw the first ep of Deadman Wonderland. Hrmm. I'm not too keen on it, but the animation is pretty, so I'll probably try to keep up with it.

Casshern Sins is still as enjoyable as it was when it aired. Though most of everything I enjoyed had to do with the look of the thing. That and the apocalyptic tone/desperation that permeates the mood of the thing.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Anime & Manga