What are you watching/or completed? (Anime)

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: What are you watching/or completed? (Anime)

Postby Garasharp K7 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:15 am

Funimation already rescued Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 on DVD a few years back. As far as I can tell, there's no Blu ray release in Japan so there'd be little chance of the show getting the BD treatment Stateside if there's no HD source to work from. There's no BD for Silent Mobius over there either. Maybe that one will get a SDBD release if anyone decides to pick it up again.

As for the others, I'm hoping Discotek might pick up Tekkaman sometime in the not too distant future, since they already released the sequel OVA a few years ago. I'd like to see RahXephon back in print as well, though I caved in and imported the Japanese BD set earlier this year, so I'm not chomping at the bit for that one anymore. (It's a pretty decent set - it has the dub and subtitles too)
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:31 am

Garasharp K7 wrote:Funimation already rescued Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 on DVD a few years back. As far as I can tell, there's no Blu ray release in Japan so there'd be little chance of the show getting the BD treatment Stateside if there's no HD source to work from. There's no BD for Silent Mobius over there either. Maybe that one will get a SDBD release if anyone decides to pick it up again.

As for the others, I'm hoping Discotek might pick up Tekkaman sometime in the not too distant future, since they already released the sequel OVA a few years ago. I'd like to see RahXephon back in print as well, though I caved in and imported the Japanese BD set earlier this year, so I'm not chomping at the bit for that one anymore. (It's a pretty decent set - it has the dub and subtitles too)

I had no idea Funimation released 2040. Though at this point, I'd rather have SDBDs than DVD copies. It saves on space. Though, I don't care what Silent Mobius comes out on, I just want to own it again. I regret getting rid of my DVDs. I also wish someone would bring the manga out again so I can finally pick that up, especially since I don't believe Dark Horse even translated the last few volumes.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Rody » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:49 pm

lhb412 wrote:
lhb412 wrote:I'm sad I missed the Promare screenings.

Oooh, Primate will cone back for an encore in December -and Char's Counterattack will also be coming to theaters to celebrate Gundam's 40th!

Promare is definitely worth seeing on the big screen - the film takes the medium and just ROCKS with it.

Speaking of theaters, I went to see Konosuba! Legend of Crimson last week, and it was a lot of fun. There was a pretty good turnout at my theater, and everyone was having a total riot with the movie. If you like snarky, parodic, sometimes crass humor in the package of a fantasy isekai show, Konosuba! is your title.

In other anime, the Anime News Network recently published a nostalgic retrospective piece on The Big O, so I took the incentive to FINALLY start watching this classic. I am so glad I did, too - this show is cool, plain and simple. I dig the aesthetic, I dig the characters, I dig the world-building and plotlines, and I certainly dig the mechs and monsters so far. I'm just a few episodes in, but this show already feels like an excellent pastiche of classic genre series. I should have started this one a long time ago!

YouTuber Under The Scope also recently did a video covering the merits of Amagi Brilliant Park, a potentially underrated KyoAni title. I was a bit underwhelmed with this one when I first watched it a couple of years ago, but I'm revisiting it now, since I meant to be going over more KyoAni titles recently anyway. It's not a bad title, make no mistake there; maybe I'll warm up to it more this time.

I'm also working my way through the second seasons of March Comes In Like a Lion and Mushishi, both of which have been GREAT so far.
Rody
Godzilla

Previous

Return to Anime & Manga