Moe & More: The Kyoto Animation Thread

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Moe & More: The Kyoto Animation Thread

Postby Rody » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 pm

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (1st season) celebrates its 10th Anniversary today, so this seems like a good time to start the topic:
Any KyoAni fans here on Monster Zero?
My first KyoAni show was Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!, which was a very charming and nicely animated show; then I watched the oddball Nichijou, and I realized this was a studio worth paying attention to. I've since seen another half-dozen or more of their shows, including the aforementioned Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, Clannad, and most recently Myriad Colors Phantom World. I don't love every show of theirs, but several of their shows are absolute favorites of mine, and KyoAni never fails to impress with their quality of art & animation.

I'm slowly making my way through (almost) all of KyoAni's produced shows. Clannad: After Story is up next, and I'll probably follow up with K-On! and Sound! Euphonium.
Rody
Godzilla

Re: Moe & More: The Kyoto Animation Thread

Postby EricDent » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:17 am

I like their stuff and own Haruhi, Lucky Star, K-On, and Full Metal Panic Fumofuu.

I've seen Clannad, Kanon, and some other stuff.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Godzilla

Postby Rody » Tue May 03, 2016 8:31 pm

...So I just finished Clannad: After Story, and while I get why it's such a popular show, I wouldn't consider it one of KyoAni's best.
The big problem with Jun Maeda's stories (Air, Kanon, Clannad, Angel Beats!) is the magical elements never seem to gel with the normal world enough. This generally improves from Air to Clannad to Angel Beats!, and so on, but there's always a level of logic lacking which, for me, sometimes takes the out of the emotional sails at the most pivotal moments. I end up feeling like the feels haven't been truly earned.
That said, Clannad: After Story hit hard when it usually needed to. I don't ever cry when watching something, but at least one scene in After Story nearly made me tear up, so bravo there.

I think I need pure sweetness now; I'll watch K-On! next.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby Rody » Tue May 10, 2016 4:43 pm

I forgot to post this before, but it got me so excited I can't not share it:

Complete Haruhi Suzumiya Soundtrack Announced With Teaser for More in 2016

phpBB [media]

Full video dialogue:
Spoiler Below:
Haruhi: Listen, Mikuru, these days it's all about YouTube to get rich quick! The SOS Brigade has made a YouTube channel too, so go and grab those views from those elementary and middle school boys with that crazy outfit of yours!
Mikuru: Whaaaaat? B-but that's so embarrassing...
Kyon: Haruhi! Stop trying to get Asahina to wear such immoral clothing. Japanese guys ten years from now's sexual inclinations will be biased!
Itsuki: Now, now. We can always say that this is a kind of a public service announcement informing the public of the dangers of a society reliant on the Internet. As this may be a good opportunity for parents to realize that a single click could affect their child's future, I think it would be best to see how things turn out...
Kyon: Your face is too close! Koizumi, you can only say that because you don't understand the explosive spreading force Asahina has. This video is going to be a viral one that will make its mark on Internet history. At least half of the population of Japan is going to see it.
Mikuru: Um... W-what are you talking about Kyon?
Haruhi: Viral sounds great! OK Mikuru, you gotta give the customers that fan service! Actually, maybe it'd be best if we lose like 20 percent of your outfit's fabric...
Kyon: How about you stop trying to take off her clothes? Huh? What's up, Nagato?
Yuki: ...An error in the video feed. Probability of restoring video is approximately 0.038 percent.
Itsuki: Oh, it looks like the camera is broken. Haruhi: Hey, Kyon! Go file a claim with the computer research club and tell them to bring us a camera that's not broken!
Kyon: As I remember, the camera we borrowed from the computer research club broke because you got water on it last month during the "Swimming in Winter With Lots of Mikuru Tournament."
Mikuru: I always get pushed into those kinds of duties...
Haruhi: OK, well, your camera is fine then.
Itsuki: I have memories of someone forcefully putting Kyon's camera on a drone and letting it fly, only to have it go missing.
Haruhi: Kyon's the one at fault for buying that piece-of-crap drone! Well, anyway, guess it can't be helped. Let's make today's video audio-only. Kyon, think of something for us to do.
Kyon: Yeah, like I'd have something for us to do all of a sudden. And anyway, what's a "YouTuber" really supposed to do anyway? Itsuki: Most people do things like experiments. There also seem to be a lot of Let's Plays and cooking videos.
Kyon: And those are all things you need visuals for...
Mikuru: U-um! I've seen product introduction videos before! There are ones for things like makeup and home electronics and I end up really wanting to buy them after watching...
Haruhi: Yeah! That's it! We can do that with just audio, right?
Kyon: Well, yeah, I guess we technically can, but what are we supposed to introduce exactly?
Haruhi: Hm... Hey, Yuki, do you have anything cool?
Yuki: I do. The promotion of the same of sound data on optical media.
Kyon: Wait, Nagato. Does that...?
Mikuru: Does that have our songs and BGM?
Itsuki: So in other words, it's a complete soundtrack.
Haruhi: Oh yeah! Now I remember that some music producer was saying he wanted to release something like that around Tanabata this year! OK, Mikuru! Hurry up and tell the viewers the information they need to know!
Mikuru: So it's me again... Sniffle. Um... A complete album with all of the TV series' soundtracks included titled "Suzumiya Haruhi no Kansō" will be released on June 7. Kamimae...
Kyon: You read that as "Kōsaki."
Mikuru: Th-the music composed by Satoru Kōsaki- including unused tracks- will add up to a total of approximately 140 tracks. In addition, ten tracks including the theme songs that we sang for the TV series and radio program and the ENOZ insert songs will also be a part of the album. The album will be five CDs and the price of the album is a stunning discounted 4900 yen (about US$46). P-please look forward to it-
Haruhi: So that's the scoop! We're planning to do lots of other fun stuff as the SOS Brigade this year, so make sure to check for news!
Kyon: And you're going to end the damn thing yourself after all!?
Yuki: Recording finished. Beginning upload.

The Complete Soundtrack of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no Kansō) will include the complete soundtracks of the first and second seasons (including previously unreleased tracks), along with the opening and ending themes, insert songs, and radio theme songs. It will ship on July 7 for 4,900 yen (about US$46).

Rody
Godzilla

Postby Rody » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Haruhi is Returning, With A Special 10-year Anniversary Release!

Funimation Offers The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya on Home Video in September

Funimation wrote:For ultimate fans, we’re also releasing a special The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya – Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray set!
This features not only the original two season series, but the chibi spinoffs The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya + Nyoron! Churuya-san AND the new Nagato-centric alternate universe spinoff, The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan – all in a premium set with a collector’s chipboard box plus a filler box with art cards!

As if this isn't exciting enough...
The filler box happens to be about the same size as a Blu-ray case and can be removed to fit something else…

Is that a hint towards re-releasing The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya... Ooooorr, is it related to this BRAND NEW VISUAL FROM KYOTO ANIMATION?!?!

http://www.otakutale.com/2016/haruhi-2006-anime-visual-featured-in-animedia-more-announcements-in-2016/
Rody
Godzilla

Postby Rody » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Nichijou: Raising the Bar

Kyoto Animation (KyoAni) is highly regarded among sakuga fans. It’s not hard to see why—the studio consistently delivers anime with excellent production values and polished, fluid animation. Since 2006, KyoAni has generated a steady stream of hit shows, including Haruhi, K-On!, and Hyōka. Perhaps their most interesting production from a sakuga perspective is Nichijou, an anime about the ordinary lives of a trio of high school girls, an eight-year-old scientist, a robot, and a talking cat.

With Funimation's surprising new release, I've been on a Nichijou high for weeks now. This might very well be the show that truly hooked me on anime, and watching it again now is an absolute delight.
I'm also starting to suspect that Kyoto Animation, through their best shows like Nichijou (as well as Haruhi, Chuunibyo, etc.) has kind of spoiled me on anime, along with productions by a select few other creators/studios (e.g., Studio Ghibli, Hiroyuki Imaishi). KyoAni's best shows have remarkable knacks for visual presentation and dramatic or comedic timing, and while there are still tons of shows and films I haven't seen yet, it seems to me KyoAni's creators are among the most consistently impressive creators currently in the field.

phpBB [media]
Rody
Godzilla

Postby Rody » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:48 pm

A Journey Through Kyoto Animation

Kyoto Animation's shows are suffused with resonant character drama and often predicated on very difficult-to-realize conceits, and though the studio are often known for their quiet dramas or comedies, their work spans a wide variety of subgenres and appeals. My own journey into broader anime appreciation feels tethered to my relationship with Kyoto Animation - from a jaded skeptic of their whole catalog, I've become one more doe-eyed evangel of the KyoAni doctrine. But I truly think there is a Kyoto Animation show for everyone, so let's take that journey once more, walking through their many specialties and pausing to admire the sights along the way.

KyoAni's latest show, Violet Evergarden, looks like it might start hitting Netflix this January. The sooner the better; the series is shaping up to be extraordinary.

A couple months ago, the studio also held a special festival showing off their latest/upcoming works as well as the studio itself.
Rody
Godzilla

Return to Anime & Manga