[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
Return of Ultraman • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan

Return of Ultraman

He's Red and Silver, as tall as a building, and kicks the butts of Giant Monsters!! He's also Japan's most enduring and favorite Superhero!! From Ultra Seven to Ultraman Orb, discuss the many incarnations of Ultraman here!! Let's not forget Zone Fighter! Kamen Rider! Gridman! The infinity of Toei Sentai Teams! For such a small island, Japan is bursting with colorful superheroes! Discuss Japanese Heroes here as well!!

Moderator: Controllers

Return of Ultraman

Postby lhb412 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:58 pm

The 1971 revival that established a shared continuity in the Ultra franchise and kicked off the second "Monster Boom" is finally, finally officially available in North America.

I mean, I've already watched 5 Ultra Blu-ray sets from Mill Creek, but with this release the massive development this truly is hits a bit harder. I wondered if we were ever going to see this series, and as a kaiju fan it felt like such an important one for the history of the genre.

One episode in, and a) it's a smorgasbord of kaiju and tokusatsu effects, b) I love that they finally wring out some confusion and weirdness from the Ultra merging with a human that they never touched on in the original series, and c) Shin Kishida in a supporting role!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Return of Ultraman

Postby lhb412 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:11 am

How tall is the actor who plays Go? He towers over everybody! I'm on the episode with Twintail and the fact that he's so big that clothes shopping is hard for him is an actual plot point.

Love how he has a life outside of the defense team. And we get lots of squabbling and tension inside the team, too. That's a real change from the first two Ultra shows. Also like how Go is much more of a relatable average guy. Hayata was the perfect soldier and Dan was a hypercompetant alien passing for human, but Go is just a normal guy and we're constantly being reminded that, even though his heart is in the right place, the extraordinary things he can do are pretty much confined to abilities Ultraman has given to him. He can be reluctant and otherwise flawed. It's very obvious that this was a huge influence on later protagonists.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:04 am

Looking at his face, I was immediately wondering if he isn't half Japanese and half... some other ethnicity. His nose is what gives him away but yes, he is also quite tall. :)

Loving the show so far. Another surprise, is that MAT's captain was also the mentor for Sky Rider & Super-1!!! Didn't know that he was in an Ultra series, too! Verrry cool! Monster & hero costumes still shoddier than I'd expect - and this early in, to boot. Can only imagine how beat up Jack will look by series' end. :(
Jinzo Ningen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:11 am

Jiro Dan's father is, according to Japanese Wikipedia, "British American." So I'm not sure if that implies some weird dual citizenship or something but I'm assuming that means he was some flavor of white.

Anyway, I'm six episodes in and this show is got damgd incredible. It's way too early to call but I feel like it could easily be my favorite Ultra series at this rate.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Jiro is Philipino. Honestly though, his hair keeps me wanting to see him pull out a cattle gun. :P I guess his love for "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" slapping makes up for that though. He should have been named either Bright Noa or Wong.

I'm 20 episodes into Return so far and nothing has truly grasped me the same way Man and Seven did. It's as formulaic as Man was, doesn't have anywhere near the variety and cinematography of Seven, and the characters have yet to truly grasp me. I also don't get why they are called the Monster Attack Team when they were clearly inept at handing monsters right from the getgo of episode 1. The way the show is written it sounds like they have been established for quite a while, yet, they all act like novices. The fact that some random civilian had to do their job for them right away tells you something. It doesn't help that so far Kishida is the only one who has had any sort of character development given his dad is a top commander and partially responsible for the poison gas monster.

Oh, and the Kaiju designs have left a lot to be desired. Aside from Gudon, Twintail, and the skeleton dinosaur thing, none of the monsters have been all that memorable. Well, I guess Bemstar is memorable because I saw him in other Ultra shows first.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:01 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:08 pm

Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:13 am

Direct references to Toho's stable of Kaiju! The next episode preview that mentions how proud the special-effects staff is of their work in the next episode!

This series is awesome!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Ultraman and Japanese Heroes