[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger - Discussion Thread • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger - Discussion Thread

He's Red and Silver, as tall as a building, and kicks the butts of Giant Monsters!! He's also Japan's most enduring and favorite Superhero!! From Ultra Seven to Ultraman Orb, discuss the many incarnations of Ultraman here!! Let's not forget Zone Fighter! Kamen Rider! Gridman! The infinity of Toei Sentai Teams! For such a small island, Japan is bursting with colorful superheroes! Discuss Japanese Heroes here as well!!

Moderator: Controllers

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger - Discussion Thread

Postby Inui Takumi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:13 pm

So, we have crossed the halfway point of the Super Sentai season of 2013, Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. What is everyone's thoughts on the season so far?

For me, I think its a really strong show thus far. The cast is solid for the most part (Souji may be the exception) and I think the story is structured in way that you can tell it is building up to a goal. A lot of Sentai shows try to set up a long-running plot but tend to forget about it midway then pick it up in the last 10-15 episodes. Kyoryuger doesn't give off that feeling to me 27 episodes in.

The suits looked very jarring when I first saw the promotional pictures for the show, but they instantly grew on me as soon as the first episode aired. The action has been pretty great, with the mech action staying at an interest level. It's not as robustly detailed as the first few episodes, but Toei has seemed to have stepped up their game since Go-Busters since the miniature sets seem more detailed and they are using more compelling shot composition. I want to attribute this to Hirofumi Fukuzawa being the action director for both seasons, but I'm sure there is more to it.
Inui Takumi
Little Godzilla

Re: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger - Discussion Thread

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:28 pm

I have mixed feelings on it. I love how energetic it is. I really enjoy the cast and the plot that keeps moving around them. The problem is, the villains are starting to become stale to me as they are just pulling the same punches over and over. I was hoping Endorf (not the moon) would bring a new change, but he really hasn't down anything but act more like a MOTW in these last two episodes. I also am tired of mech battles in every episode. I don't hate the mecha itself in the show, but I want to just have a nice episode or two that does not require the use of one (and I am tired of constant combinations when others, like Western, are not utilized). I really wish for the Sentai of the 90s to return (the best era for Sentai as far as I am concerned), but that just isn't going to happen.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Inui Takumi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:03 am

Mech battles are just a staple of the franchise at this point. I also liked it when shows didn't need mech battles to defeat the enemy, like in Zyuranger. But its just how it is for now and compared to the bland fights we've had over the years, the ones in Kyoryuger are great IMO.

As for the enemies, I'll agree that they got a little less creative with how they gathered their energies. The first batch of episodes did a great job at showing different ways to collect sorrow or anger, or even happiness. I'm not sure what to make of Endorf as of yet, but I still find them entertaining to watch. It's not like the Zangyack where they did little to nothing for 3/4 of the show and by the end, you couldn't care less as to what their motives were if they even had any. There's still a bit of something to fear when it comes to Deboss.
Inui Takumi
Little Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:17 am

The thing is, Gokaiger had Basco and Barizorg. I just don't get that feel from any of the villains in Kyoryu. Even Dogold feels uninteresting when he should be the exact opposite given he is just a suit of armor (makes me think of Bishuman from Darkstalkers).
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Inui Takumi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:09 am

The problem was that Basco wasn't the main villain. I would have loved it if he was the main antagonist for the show. But Walz was utterly useless. And with Barizorg, he's kind of the same as Dogold. Both have plot lines that only come up when its needed. Which can also be frustrating from time to time. I think there is a lot of potential behind both Aigallon and Deboss himself that just hasn't unfolded yet.
Inui Takumi
Little Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:39 am

Yeah, Warz was useless, which sucks because they could have just made him the Gokaiger version of GOlion's Sincline. However, his father was even worse and I give him the Worst Evil Emperor Ever! award.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:24 pm

So I've decided to give some Super Sentai a shot. Seeing as I'm most attracted to the dinosaur themed shows, admittedly due to my Power Ranger nostalgia, I've been watching this and Zyuranger at the same time. It's an interesting watch side-by-side...

I'll try not to compare too much, but I'm definitely enjoying Zyuranger a lot more. Not to say I dislike Kyoryuger. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm still pretty early into it and feel that the lightning fast pace can be a little headache inducing. I'm also not a fan of the villains thus far. I can only imagine how much worse they'll be when Saban gets their hands on it...

Still, the main characters are enjoyable and different enough, (arguably more-so than Zyu... so far) and I really dig the mecha. Clearly I should dive deeper into it before stamping a firm opinion on it.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:17 pm

ZyuRanger is my 10th favorite Sentai series of all time. Sometimes the Kids of the Week gets annoying, but the stories are great, the battles rock, and Dragon Ranger kicks all kinds of ass. DaiRanger is my ultimate favorite though and nothing has been able to come close to it.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:42 am

On the subject of great Sentai series, I just finished JETMAN and can't recommend it enough.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Inui Takumi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 am

Inui Takumi
Little Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:20 pm

I can't wait to see if Saban adapt this series for Power Rangers. :|
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:13 am

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:27 am

Kyoryuger final episode SPOILERS:

I have to say, I kind of feel let down. It was not a bad finale by any means. In fact, it was quite good.

The problem is, everyone seemed to be defeated way too easily. The new joy monster was defeated way too quickly. Chaos was then defeated way too quickly, only to have that be his plan, but then he got beat again way too easily. Then Deboss got defeated way too quickly and easily as well by Daigo. In fact, why did Daigo even need the other rangers there? He handled Deboss all on his own. I also did not like that Uchy was just miraculously brought back to life when having him become a spirit ranger would have done just fine.

From a story point of view though, it was told well and felt like a conclusion even though it left things open for the future. I am not sure what to think about Luckerio and Candeleria being left alive though, as they really should have sacrificed themselves to defeat Chaos rather than just be given a happy go lucky existence just because they weren't truly evil.

The ending does have a DaiRanger feel to it though, as you know there is someone else out there for a future generation to battle, and I'm okay with that because it worked with what the story was going for. It means that this is a battle that may go on for another million years, which is what the whole series was leading towards anyway.

Overall, the show was pretty good, one of the better Sentai series of the last 10 years, but it was the weakest of the Dinosaur themes. For all that it did with originality (and there was a lot), Toei played it a little too safe. Yes, we still got a death in the team with Torin, but it feels downplayed when Daigo's father is just able to resume the role of Silver as if it were nothing. Uchy dying and becoming a new spirit ranger would have made for a good send off to the next generation as we have a brand new spirit ranger as the old ones pass on to the afterlife.

THe rangers themselves were a very good cast, but it seemed like the writers did not know what to do with Ian and Uchy during the series. There was so much wasted potential with those two when it came to their stories with Aigaron and Dogold, as so much more could have been done with all four characters. Instead, it was featured in like 2-3 episodes during the first half of the show and then never mentioned again until the last few episodes.

The best episodes were Nossan's, as he had the best development out of the entire cast, followed by Souji. I understand the show is meant to focus on the red ranger, but Daigo had no flaws, making him an uninteresting character because he was so perfect. Even the best red rangers in the past have had some sort of flaw to help develop their character. It does not matter if it is something as simplistic as Marvelous' wanting to avenge his friend and father figure to Matoi wanting to protect his family to Tatsumi wanting to just be a normal person without his rich parents shaping his life to be what they want to Geki having the death of Burai clouding his mind. Everyone has had some type of flaw except Daigo. This man was just too perfect that the writers put themselves into a corner because there was really nothing to do with him, and having him take out Deboss on his own was proof of this.

On the other hand, we got the perfect amount of screen time for the two spirit rangers and seeing them pass on their abilities was well done even if out of the blue. I also thought they did a great job with Yayoi and her grandfather even if she became a useless character in the long run as her love triangle never went anywhere after both her and Amy agreed to see who is best for Daigo's love. In fact, this is another area that could have been used to improve both of the girls' character, but instead, it was more wasted potential.

Come to think of it, that was the problem with the show overall, it was wasted potential all around. So much more could have been done with the villains themselves, but after about 20 episodes, they started to get stale and just become your standard Sentai villains. As I said before, a lot more could have been done with Aigaron and Dogold, ESPECIALLY with Dogold being living armor. Instead, it seemed like the writers forgot what they were doing with Dolgold so they suddenly wrote in Endorff to accommodate that issue until the last minute.

The mecha was a mixed bag however, with most of them just being way too blocky and there was too much of it. At least the combined form did not look like a cluster****.

Overall, I give the show as a whole a 7/10 stars because it did a lot of good. Most of the filler did not feel forced in or like a standard Sentai filler, but when it had bad filler, it was really bad. The ranger cast was great, energetic, and well acted, it's just that more could have been done with half of the team. Daigo was just way too perfect in everything. The villains started out interesting and then became as bland as Dokoku's shipmates in "Shinkenger." It seemed like the writers knew where they were taking the show the entire time, which is nice, I just wish the execution could have been better. Still, it was a good show and would probably fall around my 20th favorite series.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Inui Takumi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:47 pm

About the final episode, Daigo didn't defeat Deboss on his own. If he used his own power, he would have been beaten immediately. But the gathered harmony of the rest of the team is what gave him that edge. The whole theme of the show was about harmonizing your rhythm to achieve great power. Sure, it would have been better if they were all up there using the power to defeat Deboss, but its sort of like Dekaranger's ending. Each Ranger did their part to get to the final boss. But since Daigo is the leader, he was the one to reach Deboss while everyone else ran interference. I can see how it looks like its Daigo's show, but I really think that he couldn't have done any of it without the rest of the team. That's what makes the ending work for me.

As for the series as a whole, I think Riku Sanjo did a good job of making the story well-rounded and and with very interesting characters, for the most part. There are a few that I felt needed more development, like Yayoi. After her intro arc, she just fell into a more supportive role, to the point of being teamed up with the Spirit Rangers (despite her pointing out that she's still alive, which I found funny). Outside of her involvement in the semi-love triangle with Daigo and Amy, she didn't have much development. Which is said since I think she could have been a much stronger addition to the team.

A lot of the characters were paired with a villain they could have a story with for the whole season. That part felt a lot like Dairanger in its story beats, which I didn't mind at all. While Aigaron had an interesting arc with Ian that ended in a remarkable fashion, I think Dogold and Ucchy's story was the most compelling. Having him get controlled by Endorf did seem weird at first, but I think the end of the ordeal well made up for it. And the whole Torin/Detetsu storyline gave a strong backbone to the whole show. I was worried that they'd drop the part on Dentetsu's ordeal but I think they pulled it out at the end.

The suits and the action were simply splendid. I thought the suits were too busy at first, especially compared to the Go-Busters suits, which I loved. While I was disappointed that they went back to spandex, seeing the Kyoryuger suits and action immediately sold me on them. And, man, I just really loved the action in this show. Of course, with a show directed by Koichi Sakamoto, that's bound to happen. But Hirofumi as action director once again proves that he has an eye for choreography. The fights may not be as intricate as in Go-Busters, which is one of the few things the show had going for it, they were so much fun to watch in Kyoryuger. The more out-of-suit fights, the better IMO. And the fact that he has kept the quality of the Go-Busters mech battles in Kyoryuger is so refreshing to see.

Kyoryuger may have a few mistakes here and there, like the fact that Daigo was pretty much the perfect Ranger despite their explanations, as a whole the show was pretty fantastic. Its the most solid Sentai season I've seen in quite a while. It's definitely one of my top favorites. If you haven't checked it out yet, give it a shot. Its a fun show in the way that Sentai should be.
Inui Takumi
Little Godzilla

Return to Ultraman and Japanese Heroes