[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
Ultra Q • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan

Ultra Q

He's Red and Silver, as tall as a building, and kicks the butts of Giant Monsters!! He's also Japan's most enduring and favorite Superhero!! From Ultra Seven to Ultraman Orb, discuss the many incarnations of Ultraman here!! Let's not forget Zone Fighter! Kamen Rider! Gridman! The infinity of Toei Sentai Teams! For such a small island, Japan is bursting with colorful superheroes! Discuss Japanese Heroes here as well!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Ultra Q

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 am

The Statue of Goga is awesome! It's a hardboiled caper with action, espionage, a cursed statue and a giant monster. This episode has it all!

The Devil Child is pretty good. The child doesn't really live up to the title until the ending, which is suitably twisted. Blazing Glory is a great episode. Dynamite Joe is a compelling character and Peter is a cool creature.

The Disappearance of Flight 206 guest-stars Hisaya Ito and Hiroshi Koizumi! This episode is great too. I love the premise of airplanes flying through a void into some eerie netherworld where the ground is made of clouds and giant monsters are lurking.

Based on the title, I expected Open Up! to have either some horrific dentistry or a monster with a really big mouth. I like how it went in a different direction, and it guest-stars Hideyo Amamoto! This show waited until the last episode for Yuri and Jun to show some romantic interest in each other.

And just like that, in a span of less than four months, I've finally seen Ultra Q. What a glorious show this is!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:39 am

I love the ambiguity at the end of Blazing Glory.

I remember being disappointed in the last batch of episodes when I initially watched the series, probably because of the lack of monster action. With this watch I was able to appreciate a lot of nice, subtle things that happened in those final episodes, like, as you say, the romantic stuff in the finale.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Rody » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:42 pm

I would have liked a slightly clearer ending to "Blazing Glory"; but "Open Up!" was a terrific episode, and an utterly surreal "ending" for the show. This is the episode that truly feels like it could have come out of The Twilight Zone, and those little plot threads like the chemistry between Yuri and Jun are deviously tantalizing. It's kind of a frustrating episode, but it just works so well, I can't imagine the show ending on a more traditional monster romp now that I've seen it.
Rody
Godzilla

Previous

Return to Ultraman and Japanese Heroes