Only 4 plots, rest are TWILIGHT ZONES

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Only 4 plots, rest are TWILIGHT ZONES

Postby SparkieGojira » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:01 am

I had a thread like this on the old board, ever notice just how many movies and tv episodes can be traced back to the Twilight Zone?

"LIAR LIAR" was a TZ episode decades before Jim Carry. ST:TNG's "YESTERDAY's ENTERPRISE" was a TZ about a displaced WW1 pilot. The one on now "5 Characters in Search of an Exit" can be seen as an ancestor of THE CUBE and maybe even TOY STORY! :P

Anyway, I've forgotten all the various TZ inspired movies I've identified over the years, but there was a ton of them.

Oh POLTERGIEST obviously owes a LOT to TZ's "Little Girl Lost".

Can anyone think of anymore?
SparkieGojira

Postby buddah11674 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:57 pm

The movie Carnival of Souls comes immediately to mind. It's a great old film based of the TZ episode that I think was either called "The Hitcher" or "The Hitchhiker".

Rod Serling's good friend John Frankenheimer did a very Twilight Zone-esque film called Seconds starring Rock Hudson. He also directed the Rod Serling film Seven Days in May.

Those are the only one's that come immediately to mind. Give me an hour or so and I'll probably come up with quite a few more. :lol:
Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart Image
buddah11674
Godzilla Jr.

Postby GaryT » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:43 pm

buddah11674 wrote:The movie Carnival of Souls comes immediately to mind. It's a great old film based of the TZ episode that I think was either called "The Hitcher" or "The Hitchhiker".

"The Hitchhiker" episode of TWILIGHT ZONE was adapted from an episode of the radio show SUSPENSE. The radio version starred Orson Welles and was written by Louise Fletcher, the wife of composer Bernard Herrmann--who wrote the first season theme (not the famous one) and several scores for TWILIGHT ZONE.
GaryT
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Gwangi » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:36 pm

When I saw "The Truman Show", it reminded me exactly of that TW episode where we saw Howard Duff's life also just an act, and like Jim Carry, didn't know about it until later.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:56 am

I forgot about the Howard Duff episode (and can still just barely remember it now), is that the one where plays an actor who for some reason takes on the identity of the character he plays?

There was a TWILIGHT ZONE 0.3 (I mean the Canadian made half hours made in the late 80's to fill out the CBS TWILIGHT ZONE revival's syndication package) that had the star of AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON in a scenario identitical to THE TRUMAN SHOW. I think the TRUMAN SHOW even managed to recreat a few scenes ver batem, like when he is listening to the car radio and stage instructions start to break in.
SparkieGojira

Postby Gwangi » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:15 pm

SparkieGojira wrote:I forgot about the Howard Duff episode (and can still just barely remember it now), is that the one where plays an actor who for some reason takes on the identity of the character he plays?

It is that very one. His real life is a misery, while the one he's acting out is heaven.

On other stories related to "The Twilight Zone", I loved that T.V. mini-series "V" from around 1983 about aliens coming to Earth on friendly terms. Watching it then, however, even I couldn't help but to notice a glaring resemblance to Rod Serling's "To Serve Man". It's a cook book! :o
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby anguirus23 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:56 pm

^ Both that miniseries, the Twilight Zone ep, and the original short story "To Serve Man" (it was an adaptation, not a Serling original story) are favorites of mine.

V's "inspiration" by "To Serve Man" may have been partly because the creator really wanted to do a story of the Resistance in World War II and was advised as a business decision to "go sci-fi." It still works extremely well as an allegory, but the aliens themselves didn't impress me.
anguirus23

Postby Gwangi » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:03 pm

anguirus23 wrote:^ Both that miniseries, the Twilight Zone ep, and the original short story "To Serve Man" (it was an adaptation, not a Serling original story) are favorites of mine.

Thanks for clearing that up Anguirus. I know Rod Serling was a genius, but I know he couldn’t have written every original TW episode.

I actually liked the aliens in “Vâ€
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby anguirus23 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:58 pm

The aliens in V were pretty uninspired. OK, so they are human-shaped, yet their faces look reptilian. Except for some reason they can survive extreme cold, which is instant death to anything remotely reptile-like in metabolism (the movie explains this with the old misleading phrase "cold-blooded." Nope. They be ectotherms, needin' outside heat to live...ya see a lot more snakes in the Sahara than the Antarctic). And they can have sex without losing the masks, but it comes completely off when that one camera man hits him in the face. Not only that, but reptiles wearing human-like skin covers can procreate with a human female. Did I mention that their faces looked really stupid?

I still need to see V: The Final Battle. As it is, V works great as a reference to the dangers of fascism, and it's superb at depicting the likely reactions of humans to an alien visitor (the first twenty minutes of the film have been ripped off by virtually every alien invasion movie since, most notably and obviously in ID4), but don't get me started on the actual reveal of the aliens or of their laser guns and soldiers that make Star Wars stormtroopers look like marksmen.
anguirus23

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:38 pm

From RodSerling.com:
"30 Years Later: Rod Serling's Planet of the Apes"
Gordon C. Webb wrote:In late 1963, Rod Serling was hired by King Brothers Productions to write a screenplay based on Pierre Boulle's novel Planet of the Apes. For more than two years, Serling, who had earned a solid reputation as a television writer, struggled with the task of adapting this complex story for the big screen. By the time he submitted a final draft in early 1965, APJAC Productions had acquired the screen rights to Boulle's story. For the next two years, producer Arthur P. Jacobs worked to raise enough funding for what had developed into a very expensive project. Before filming began, another experienced writer, Michael Wilson, was brought in to work on the script. Wilson, whose career suffered through the blacklisting of the McCarthy era, had written many excellent film scripts (including It's A Wonderful Life and A Place in the Sun)—some uncredited until recently (such as Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia). Finally, in early 1968, Planet of the Apes was released, with both Wilson and Serling sharing screen credit.

From Variety:
WB seeks A-list 'Twilight Zone' helmer - Shortlist includes Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay, Alfonso Cuaro
Justin Kroll wrote:Warner Bros. is clearly bent on transporting its untitled "Twilight Zone" pic to a higher dimension, as the studio is focusing on top-tier directors -- much as it did in its 1983 version.

But unlike that pic, which had four helmers steering separate segments, this project will feature a single storyline and one director.

Mutual interest is brewing between WB and at least three individuals: Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay and Alfonso Cuaron. (Insiders also say David Yates was on the short list, though his prospects have waned.)

Sources say Nolan has emerged as the front-runner to get the offer, and though his close relationship with the studio is well documented, it's not clear whether he'd take on the project, given its similarities to "Inception."

For Bay, it would be his first opportunity to work with Warner Bros. -- and the studio has long coveted his services, given his track record with tentpole projects. Sources add that Bay and his team are high on the script, but one possible obstacle is his desire to get started on passion project "Pain and Gain," a black comedy set in the world of competitive bodybuilding.

Cuaron also has a relationship with the studio, and the most favorable schedule. He's currently wrapping up production on the space adventure "Gravity" and has not committed to his next project.

While sources tell Variety that Nolan, Bay and Cuaron are the favorites, there's also a dark horse in the mix: Rupert Wyatt, whose "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" drew rave reviews and more than $400 million worldwide. Wyatt, who has also not committed to his next project, is a hot commodity in town.

Leonardo DiCaprio would produce through his Appian Way shingle, along with Jennifer Killoran Davisson and George DiCaprio. Rand Ravich and Jason Rothenberg penned the script, and while plot details are under wraps, sources say the film would be a single storyline that touches on several themes from the Rod Sterling TV show that ran from 1959-1964. The 1983 "Twilight Zone" pic was split into four stories, each helmed by an A-list director: Steven Spielberg, John Landis ("Animal House") Joe Dante ("Gremlins") and George Miller ("Mad Max").
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Exclusive Interview: Richard Matheson - IGN meets the real deal behind Real Steel.
Jim Vejvoda wrote:IGN was recently honored to meet the real deal behind Real Steel, writer Richard Matheson, the iconic author of such classic sci-fi and horror tales I Am Legend, What Dreams May Come, The Incredible Shrinking Man and A Stir of Echoes.

Matheson was already an established author of sci-fi, horror and fantasy short stories and novels when he wrote 14 episodes for Rod Serling's groundbreaking TV series The Twilight Zone, including the now-classic William Shatner episode "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" and an adaptation of his 1955 short story "Steel," which is also the basis for this weekend's new release, Real Steel.

We spoke with Matheson at his home outside of Los Angeles about his career, his thoughts on how Hollywood has adapted his work and what he thinks about Real Steel.

From Variety:
Mathesons shop massive genre library - 'Real Steel,' 'I Am Legend' author looking for studios to partner on creative vision
Marc Graser wrote:Sixty years after Hollywood started adapting his sci-fi, fantasy and horror tales into movies and TV shows, Richard Matheson is ready for a comeback.

The author, now 85, has teamed up with his screenwriting son, Richard Christian Matheson, and former William Morris literary agent Alan Gasmer to shop Matheson's library of 150 short stories, books, plays and scripts around town -- with one caveat: that he has a say in what winds up onscreen.

"Steel," a short story published in 1956, is the basis for DreamWorks' robot boxing pic "Real Steel," which stars Hugh Jackman and bows Friday through Disney's Touchstone banner.

His ghost story "Earthbound" already is set up at DreamWorks, with Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald producing. And negotiations are under way with 20th Century Fox and Shawn Levy's 21 Laps shingle for the film rights to his 1963 short "Deus Ex Machina," about a man who discovers he's mechanical when he cuts himself and bleeds oil. Levy helmed "Real Steel."

Matheson may not be a household name in the same vein as a Stephen King or even Stephenie Meyer,but his work is certainly recognizable.

His vampire tale "I Am Legend" has spawned three pics, with Will Smith starring in WB's most recent version, while "What Dreams May Come," "The Incredible Shrinking Man," "A Stir of Echoes" "Somewhere in Time" and "The Legend of Hell House" are based on his novels.

Steven Spielberg turned "Duel" into a telepic, while "Button, Button" and "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" were adapted as "Twilight Zone" and "Night Gallery" episodes, which then became pics like "The Box."

"People are not necessarily aware of who I am but they're aware of the things that I've written," Matheson told Variety.

As he tries to find new homes for his work, Matheson asks only that he and his screenwriter son, who also goes by R.C., have a say in their development, including which screenwriters or directors get hired -- if the Mathesons aren't penning the scripts, themselves, that is.

Gasmer would also serve as a producer on the projects, as he is doing on the film version of New Zealand TV show "The Tribe."

"We want to see these get made and made correctly and be in sync with the studio and make sure they have the same visions that we do," Gasmer said.

The Mathesons wanted more creative control, given that "there's nothing sadder than a badly done film," the senior Matheson said.

"As we all know, most of the films that were made turned out wonderfully, but there were enough cases where they didn't," said R.C. Matheson, whose credits include episodes of "The A-Team," "Hunter," "The Incredible Hulk" and now Cinemax's "Chemistry." "He wanted to have more involvement going forward, not only with the writing but bring a produceral influence, as well."

While the Mathesons are shopping individual projects, they wouldn't be opposed to an overall deal at a studio, the way Universal locked down the Robert Ludlum books in 2008, landing rights to the Jason Bourne character and a first look at the author's other novels.

But most of those are spy pics, whereas the Matheson library encompasses a variety of genres -- and is much larger.

In fact, the number of works created a problem for the Mathesons as they and Gasmer have introduced the material to potential buyers.

"They get overwhelmed," R.C. Matheson said. "We're trying to underwhelm them," added his father.

That included rewriting loglines to shorten them and categorizing the works by genre.

"It's a little frustrating when you go into a studio and you do bring in the volume of the material here and they look at you with blank eyes and say, 'There's a lot of material to go through,' " Gasmer said. "For a business that's supposed to thrive on creative ideas and reading, nobody actually does that. That's ironic. We have to guide them through it. Richard and R.C. are very good at doing that."

The senior Matheson is no stranger to the studio system.

He penned episodes of "The Night Stalker," "Amazing Stories" and "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour," and the scripts for the films "Somewhere in Time" and "Jaws 3."

Johnny Depp is currently developing a film version of the "The Nightstalker" for Disney.

When DreamWorks was developing the script for "Real Steel," Spielberg sent Matheson a copy and asked whether it was close enough to his original story, Matheson recalls. He approves of the final film.

"I thought it was great," Matheson said. "They hit all the right things with it. They gave it heart.

"Films are a very creative field," Matheson added. "A good movie is a thing of wonder. When it's done well, it makes such a big difference."

And as a result, have a "wonderful collateral effect" on book sales, R.C. Matheson said.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:08 pm

mr.negativity wrote:From Variety:
WB seeks A-list 'Twilight Zone' helmer - Shortlist includes Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay, Alfonso Cuaro
Justin Kroll wrote:Warner Bros. is clearly bent on transporting its untitled "Twilight Zone" pic to a higher dimension, as the studio is focusing on top-tier directors -- much as it did in its 1983 version.

But unlike that pic, which had four helmers steering separate segments, this project will feature a single storyline and one director.

Mutual interest is brewing between WB and at least three individuals: Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay and Alfonso Cuaron. (Insiders also say David Yates was on the short list, though his prospects have waned.)

Sources say Nolan has emerged as the front-runner to get the offer, and though his close relationship with the studio is well documented, it's not clear whether he'd take on the project, given its similarities to "Inception."

For Bay, it would be his first opportunity to work with Warner Bros. -- and the studio has long coveted his services, given his track record with tentpole projects. Sources add that Bay and his team are high on the script, but one possible obstacle is his desire to get started on passion project "Pain and Gain," a black comedy set in the world of competitive bodybuilding.

Cuaron also has a relationship with the studio, and the most favorable schedule. He's currently wrapping up production on the space adventure "Gravity" and has not committed to his next project.

While sources tell Variety that Nolan, Bay and Cuaron are the favorites, there's also a dark horse in the mix: Rupert Wyatt, whose "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" drew rave reviews and more than $400 million worldwide. Wyatt, who has also not committed to his next project, is a hot commodity in town.

Leonardo DiCaprio would produce through his Appian Way shingle, along with Jennifer Killoran Davisson and George DiCaprio. Rand Ravich and Jason Rothenberg penned the script, and while plot details are under wraps, sources say the film would be a single storyline that touches on several themes from the Rod Sterling TV show that ran from 1959-1964. The 1983 "Twilight Zone" pic was split into four stories, each helmed by an A-list director: Steven Spielberg, John Landis ("Animal House") Joe Dante ("Gremlins") and George Miller ("Mad Max").

This is retarded. So it would be ONE story, NOT an anthology? So how is this Twilight Zone again? So in other words, it would just be another movie with the TZ name slapped on it for marquee value?

An anthology with a story by a different director would be the best way to go.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:36 pm

I really don't want to watch any Twilight Zone film that isn't an anthology.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:04 am

At least they got a good director with Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let Me In). But seriously?

The site describes this new "Twilight Zone" as a "big science fiction action movie with a single freestanding story.

So its just a sci-fi movie with the TWZ name slapped onto it? Its not an anthology and its not an older story. Its just like any other movie. Ugh.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/to ... p?id=21456
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:15 am

WB sets scribe to rewrite 'Twilight Zone' - 'All You Need Is Kill' writer Joby Harold takes third pass at potential tentpole
Jeff Sneider wrote:"All You Need Is Kill" scribe Joby Harold is in negotiations to rewrite "The Twilight Zone" for Warner Bros. and Appian Way.

"Cloverfield" helmer Matt Reeves is set to direct from a script originally penned by Jason Rothenberg and subsequently rewritten by "Sherlock Holmes" scribe Anthony Peckham. Warner Bros. has been looking for a sci-fi-friendly scribe to get the script into shooting shape, as the studio views the pic as a potential tentpole.

Unlike the 1983 feature that had four separate storylines, this pic will have one story that features elements from the "Twilight Zone" universe made popular by Rod Serling's classic TV series.

Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Davisson Killoran and Michael Ireland will produce for Appian Way.

Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt are set to star in "All You Need Is Kill," which Doug Liman is directing for Warner Bros.

Harold previously wrote and directed the 2007 medical thriller "Awake" starring Hayden Christensen and Jessica Alba. Brian De Palma is attached to direct the Harold-scripted thriller "The Key Man," which is set up at Open Road Films and QED Intl.

Harold is repped by CAA and attorney Carlos Goodman.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:46 am

'X-Men's' Bryan Singer Prepping 'Twilight Zone' Reboot
CBS Television Studios, which owns the rights to Rod Serling's original, is searching for a writer on the project.
Lesley Goldberg wrote:There may be a new dimension coming in The Twilight Zone.

The CBS sci-fi classic could be making a return to primetime as CBS Television Studios -- the producer behind the original 1959-1964 edition -- is prepping a potential reboot, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

X-Men's Bryan Singer is attached to develop, executive produce and potentially direct a new version of the drama about a mysterious dimension "between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge -- the summit of imagination," as the original noted in its opening credits.

CBS TV Studios, which recently entered the sci-fi space with a straight-to-series order for the Stephen King best-seller, is currently searching for a writer to adapt Rod Serling's original Twilight Zone. The project has yet to be taken out to networks

This marks the latest attempt to reboot Twilight Zone. Serling's original ran for five seasons on CBS with an '80s revival airing on the network that ran for three seasons. A UPN reboot in 2002 with host Forest Whitaker ran for one season.

The project marks the latest geek-themed effort for Singer, who this fall directed NBC's Munsters reboot Mockingbird Lane.

Singer next has X-Men: Days of Future Past set up. His credits include Superman Returns and The Usual Suspects.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:56 am

Does this mean that dumb non-TWZ movie has been scrapped?
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:03 am

MouthForWar wrote:Does this mean that dumb non-TWZ movie has been scrapped?
oh man, i vaguely remember hearing about that...we can all hope it never comes to fruition.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49 am

Submitted for Your Approval: Remembering the Great Rod Serling in Concert With WGA Awards

[quote="Brian Lowry"]
Submitted for your approval: As members of the Writers Guild of America gather this weekend to honor their best, that’s always a good time to remember Rod Serling, arguably the most influential TV writer the medium ever produced.

As the creator of “The Twilight Zoneâ€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 am

Bryan Singer breaks his silence on Man Of Steel - Plus, he’s hoping for an A-list cast for his Twilight Zone show
[quote]Not one to take it easy, super-busy Singer is currently developing a reboot of sci-fi TV classic, The Twilight Zone. On that venture, Singer told us:

“I’ve taken over The Twilight Zone. I’d love to direct one - at least the pilot. It’s really not easy to jumpstart an anthology show, particularly because it’s hard to pair them with other things. The production is complex too, because you don’t have scanning sets and you have a revolving cast. But I like the challenge.

“If we can get Twilight Zone to a place where A-list talent is participating, then it would emulate the experience of the Rod Serling show which had, you know, William Shatner, Agnes Moorehead, Burgess Meredith… all these terrific actors doing these really serious morality tales. If we achieve that it could be really something.â€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Hell, wasn't Terminator copied from a TZ episode?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jrichreturns » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:21 pm

^nope.
-SEIG ZEON!
jrichreturns
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:36 pm

but close... it was lifted from Harlan Ellison's Outer Limits episode "Soldier". After a court case and settlement, Ellison's name was even put into the credits of The Terminator.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Shonokin wrote:but close... it was lifted from Harlan Ellison's Outer Limits episode "Soldier". After a court case and settlement, Ellison's name was even put into the credits of The Terminator.
i think there were two different Outer Limits episodes it lifted...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Shonokin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Yes, some people claim "Demon with the Glass Hand" also an Ellison episode is a source, but that is purely on a superficial level based on the opening scene alone, Ellison himself says it's all about "Soldier".
Shonokin
Monster 01

Next

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television