Creature From the Black Lagoon Disucssion

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Klownzilla » Mon May 30, 2005 8:31 pm

Phisherman wrote:
Offtopic: Nice signature, Klownzilla. :D

I WAAANT YOUR SKUUULS! I NEEEED YOUR SKUU-UUUU-UUULS!!

Thanks, dude! It's good to have another fiend on board.
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Tue May 31, 2005 2:55 pm

Goji66 wrote:
Gfan54 wrote:You know what, screw you, because I'm getting real tired of always stating that everything needs to stop being remade and that people should be able to just enjoy the original versions of classics without getting some kind of a smart ass remark from you about how "newer is always better". I feel that I should be able to simply state my opinion without receiving insults from you in response to it. Get over yourself!

What does that say about you, when no one can discuss remakes without your condescending input? Every remake topic contains finger-wagging from you that everything should be left alone -- and that gets pretty tiresome, because most people who post in remake threads are actually interested in seeing something new.

If you hate remakes, why do you lurk in remake threads? It's a lot like gay-bashers who coincidentally can't get the gay sex act out of their minds.

Not to mention the irony that you post anti-remake remarks on a board dedicated to GODZILLA -- a movie series that's up to its eyeballs in remakes...

Er when was there ever a Godzilla remake? You mean that american thing? Doesn't the one single instance of a Godzilla remake sort of prove Gfan 54's point?
Er when was there ever a Godzilla remake? You mean that american thing? Doesn't the one single instance of a Godzilla remake sort of prove Gfan 54's point?
SparkieGojira

Postby planetxman » Tue May 31, 2005 4:03 pm

In general, I am not impressed with the overall majority of Hollywood remakes. There are exceptions such as the NEW Dawn Of The Dead. I actually did not like the mere thought of that film being remade, however, I loved the remake too.
I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula WAY more than the original Lugosi film. Sorry.
The main thing I despise about the current state of Hollywood is the excessive use, or MISSuse of CGI. Does everything have to be CGI ? How about SOME Suitmation, animatronics and prosthetics ? I've notice that many newer films are using CGI bllod splatter now. Why ? Are squibs and other blood techniques too difficult for these modern day SPFX men ?
I can be open minded to a Creature remake. If anyone saw Hellboy, you can just imagine how awesome a Creature suit could look with the advancement in SPFX. In Hellboy, Abe Sapien was such an impressive suit.
I love the first 2 Creature films and I liked the 3rd. I just hope if someone takes the project, he or she will have the respect for the tone of the original series. The director of Van Helsing sure did not have respect for the films he was supposed to be making sequels to.
planetxman

Postby Goji66 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:22 pm

Goji66 wrote:Er when was there ever a Godzilla remake? You mean that american thing? Doesn't the one single instance of a Godzilla remake sort of prove Gfan 54's point?

/\ Uhh, wow. Who the heck hacked my post? I never said this, yet it was somehow tacked onto a post attributed to me on the preceding page.

(EDIT: I see that Sparkiegojira made the mistake. Dude, your mod capabilities affected the post that you quoted from.)

I was referring to the loose remakes and regurgitated ideas within the Toho 20+ film canon itself. G'84 is a direct updated remake of the original, while I tend to view G vs Mothra '92 and G2000 as loose remakes/updates. Up in the GFW forum, many people tried to make the case that Tokyo SOS qualifies as a remake. And yes, of course there's GINO.

Also, just the fact that the admittedly redundant imagery of the Godzilla mythos from film to film (not to mention so many 'tribute' SFX shots, mostly from Koichi Kawakita) makes every new film seem like a retread under scrutiny.
Goji66

Postby SparkieGojira » Tue May 31, 2005 7:16 pm

Oops. Sorry! I realized at somepoint I had hit "edit" instead of "quote" and then tried to put everything back the way it was......
SparkieGojira

Postby kidnicky » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:07 pm

Goji66 wrote:
Gfan54 wrote:Here's an idead for you...how about NO remake and just continue enjoying the original trilogy the way it is :?: :roll:

Here's an idea... how about we forget about movies altogether and just go back to reading books, just like the old days? But for Gfan54, books are probably too high tech so we should just stick with good 'ol cave drawings. No need to upgrade those, since originals are always best, right? :roll:

If you know anything about art, you'd know that re-interpretation and variation is unavoidable. Culture, like time, generally moves forward and not backward.

The last time you used an argument like this,I didn't say anything,but I'll mention it now: Making a remake of EVERY SINGLE MOVIE OR SHOW EVER is actually the opposite of "moving forward". Of course,I'm sure you'd like the Creature remake better,it'll have CGI,wacky one-liners,maybe a wisecrackin' little kid,all the hallmarks of great cinema. Hell,let's bring in Paris Hilton! This is going to be so much better than Grandpa's boring old black and white crap. :roll:
Being new makes things instantly better.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Goji66 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:34 am

kidnicky wrote:Making a remake of EVERY SINGLE MOVIE OR SHOW EVER is actually the opposite of "moving forward".

Only if the remake involves the same scenarios, shot by shot, using the same techniques as the original. As soon as the plot is 'updated' and the FX become cutting edge, then yes, the remake is technically "moving forward".

kidnicky wrote:Of course,I'm sure you'd like the Creature remake better, it'll have CGI,wacky one-liners,maybe a wisecrackin' little kid,all the hallmarks of great cinema.

Why are you attributing this nonsense to me? Those aren't elements of a film that I ever called great. And if the new Creature is well done, maybe I'll like it better, yet maybe I won't.

kidnicky wrote:Hell,let's bring in Paris Hilton!

Can't stand her.

kidnicky wrote:This is going to be so much better than Grandpa's boring old black and white crap.

I'll always have a place in my heart for the original Creature film and the Gillman design. It was the stuff great childhoods were made of, and it's part of the reason why a brand new remake would be exciting, as long as the producers stayed true to the source.

kidnicky wrote:Being new makes things instantly better.

More often than not -- yes -- depending on the production talent.
Goji66

Postby Xenorama » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:37 am

well, let's see how many remakes have been done well over the last, say, 30 years:
kino- awful movie
gino- awful movie
Psycho- didn't see it
Planet of the Apes- ugh
i won't even go into the adaptions of tv series that sucked.
but i'm sure someone can name some good remakes... right? :lol:

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Gwangi » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:28 pm

Megaloman wrote:well, let's see how many remakes have been done well over the last, say, 30 years:
kino- awful movie
gino- awful movie
Psycho- didn't see it
Planet of the Apes- ugh
David

You also had "The Time Machine" from 2002 and "Mighty Joe Young" from 1998. Though MJY was a worthy remake, it just wasn't as fun as the original. "The Fly" from the 1980s, was OK, but just lacked the heart the original one had.

Megaloman wrote: i won't even go into the adaptions of tv series that sucked. but i'm sure someone can name some good remakes... right? :lol:

The only good one I could think of is "The Fugitive". But T.V. adpations will continue. One of my biggest nightmares is a full-length feature of Perry Mason with Ashton Kutcher as Perry!
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:54 pm

i guess you could say THE THING from 81 was a remake, but since the original wasn't even close to the story, i rarely think of them as the same film.

and be quiet- someone might hear you about stupid taking over the Perry Mason role!

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby kidnicky » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:12 pm

Night of the Living Dead (the color one) is a pretty good remake,I wouldn't say it's better than the first,but it's pretty good.
I'll say it again though,"moving forward" is doing an actually NEW thing,not putting new effects into the same old stories/concepts of Creature,Beverly Hillbillies,King Kong,Dukes of Hazzard,whatever.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Goji66 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:53 pm

kidnicky wrote:I'll say it again though,"moving forward" is doing an actually NEW thing.

Name a supposed NEW thing that doesn't use/steal/plagarize earlier concepts.

Does slapping a different name on it make it a different work? I consider Alien to be a direct remake of It! The Terror from Beyond Space, right down to similar set designs and scene set-ups. Changing the name didn't make Alien original.

And if one makes the argument that the Title is everything, then yes, John Carpenter's The Thing is an example of a great remake.
Goji66

Postby Gwangi » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:35 pm

Megaloman wrote:and be quiet- someone might hear you about stupid taking over the Perry Mason role!

David

Your right! I shouldn't have mentioned anything, with the way screenwriters in Hollywood are these days. The horror of it all! :eek:
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Klownzilla » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:19 pm

The Blob (1988) was an awesome remake. Not just because of the graphic nature of the kills either. The story was riveting and overall it was fun, granted Kevin Dillon is no Steve McQueen.
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:51 pm

i didn't care for the Blob remake, since it took away the scary outer space angle and replaced it with the just as tired cliche of gov't conspiracy. and it ended up looking like a big piece of already been chewed bubblegum. the first part was pretty good though.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Klownzilla » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:22 pm

I like the bubble gum look over the strawberry jam one.
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:14 am

I liked the Blob remake ok,but the original is one of my favorite movies.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:11 am

Comingsoon.net reports Bill Paxton is "set" to star in new remake.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:50 am

Bill Paxton; The modern day John Agar. I guess this encouraging, at mleast we know the Creach won't be upstaged by some major star.
SparkieGojira

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:15 pm

Also heard Brett Raner (sp?) (ruch hour 1,2, x-men 3) is set to direct.
KG
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:32 pm

another remake that isn't needed.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby August » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:31 am

If the talentless hack Ratner directs the film (and you've really got to be bad to be a hack without talent), he will ruin it completely -- much like he is going to completely sink X-MEN 3... GAWD HELP US!

Oh, ALIEN is not also a "remake" of IT! TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE (which I proudly own on DVD), but owes MUCHO MAS to Mario Bava's PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES (which I also am happy to have on DVD)...

Anyhow, until we all end up in a London Dungeon -- we are 138!
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Klownzilla » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:58 am

August wrote:
Anyhow, until we all end up in a London Dungeon -- we are 138!

Either there or Green Hell! \m/
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby neo godzilla jr » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:05 am

Ben Chapman and I are gonna pay a little visit to Mr. Ratner...

*picks up boomstick and hands chainsaw to Ben

Anyone wanna tag along? :D
"Then you have a choice that no other man has ever faced.You have your fears which may become reality. And you have Godzilla, which is reality." Godzilla, King of the Monsters
neo godzilla jr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:50 pm

This is on TCM right now.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television