Creature From the Black Lagoon Disucssion

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Creature From the Black Lagoon Disucssion

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:51 am

I figured I'd create this topic to discuss The Creature Trilogy which I just got done watching over the past few nights and the possiable remake.

I have some questions regarding the trilogy.

Where the water scences in the first film shot on location in Florida or something or where they just an elaborte set at Universal?

In the second and third films I assume they invented away for the suit to have a constant stream of oxygen thus the result of the bubbles coming out of the top of the head in underwater scences in the two films correct?

Has it been confirmed wheather or not the Creature dies at the end of The Creature Walks Amog Us? I thought I read somewhere that he stumbles into the ocean and drowns, but at the end of the film he just shows he heading toward the sea and doesn't give you a clue as to what happens.

So if the remake is a go would you like to see a redeisgned Creature or just a slight up date of the original design? I'd personally like to see the creature with a longer snout and not "flat faced" and maybe have a small tail.

Enjoy the thread
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

let's see

Postby Xenorama » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:29 am

i believe that it was shot entirely in Florida, although there might have been some pickup shots in CA.

there was no elaborate oxygen hookup in the suits- Ricou Browning held his breath (i believe i've read he could hold his breath for nearly four minutes) and that's where the bubbles come from.

the Creature stumbles into the sea at the end of movie two after being shot to death (since he was a fresh water breather, the salt water wouldn't have been too good for him in the first place) and i remember him ending in the water in the third movie, but it's been a while since i've seen it. the theory is he drowned since he didn't have gills any more, but had the film been really successful we would have seen him again.

i'd rather not have a redesigned Creature- that's a classic monster and needs no "improvements"- anything different and it's some other monster, not the Creature.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby TheMaster » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:55 am

What he said!

The Creature to me is kinda like Superman's costume-it's "iconic" status is tied to it's design. We live in an age of Stan Winston-esque realistic creatures, so you would remove it's uniqueness!
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Klownzilla » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:13 pm

If there's a remake, then they should get Steve Wang to use the same mold for the Creature suit in The Monster Squad. That was, IMO, the best incarnation of the Creature I have ever seen.
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Re: let's see

Postby Gwangi » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:39 pm

gvamp wrote:Where the water scences in the first film shot on location in Florida or something or where they just an elaborte set at Universal?

Megaloman wrote:i believe that it was shot entirely in Florida, although there might have been some pickup shots in CA.
David

Exactly what David said. If you noticed, Richard Denning always carried one oxygen tank while Richard Carlson carried two. That was to tell them apart during the underwater sequences. In fact, it wasn't even them underwater! Any shots above the water, such as Julia Adams' swimming scenes, where done at Universal, while all of the underwater sequences were done entirely in Florida using stunt actors.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:00 pm

At the end of the third film it shows The Creature looking at the ocean and then stumbling towards it and it just ends there. I believe they want you the viewer to presume the creature goes back to the sea and drowns.

I too thought it was odd in the second movie that the creature which lived in a fresh water enviroment could stand a saltwater enviroment.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby emeGoji » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:15 pm

gvamp wrote:I too thought it was odd in the second movie that the creature which lived in a fresh water enviroment could stand a saltwater enviroment.

Some sharks are capable of surviving in fresh water for a time.
gmk0taku takuGuy Jack B revenge of gmk0taku
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:59 pm

Klownzilla wrote:then they should get Steve Wang.

^I wonder if Steve was teased alot as a kid? :lol:

It would have been cool if the creature had battled an alligator in one of the movies. I saw a model kit of the two fighting and just thought what a cool scene that would have been.

Meanwhile I read an interview with Del Toro who was talking about a remake he was planning years ago and described how he would have made the Black Lagoon a real scary place with carnivourous giant squid, sharks etc.

It's to bad that won't be used in the proposed remake. Could you imagine a creature/giant squid fight? :D
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby GMM_Mothra » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:11 pm

taku wrote:
gvamp wrote:I too thought it was odd in the second movie that the creature which lived in a fresh water enviroment could stand a saltwater enviroment.

Some sharks are capable of surviving in fresh water for a time.

yes but the creatures not a shark.

A remake sounds great!
GMM_Mothra

Postby Xenorama » Fri May 27, 2005 3:10 am

i wonder if anything more is being made of another useless remake. i'd prefer a sequel, or even something set in the 1800s.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Goji66 » Fri May 27, 2005 3:20 am

I'd LOVE to see a Creature remake with modern tech, but hasn't this movie been in development hell for the past 15 years or so?
Goji66

Postby X Goji » Fri May 27, 2005 7:39 am

I'd love to see a remake, with the same suit design. Just imagine some of the magnificent backgrounds and sound effects we have today being put to use in a remake!
X Goji

Postby planetxman » Fri May 27, 2005 11:37 am

Klownzilla wrote:If there's a remake, then they should get Steve Wang to use the same mold for the Creature suit in The Monster Squad. That was, IMO, the best incarnation of the Creature I have ever seen.

Better than the original ???!!!
planetxman

Postby Gwangi » Fri May 27, 2005 12:03 pm

I don't know about any remake. I consider "Anaconda" sort of an updated version of the story and just leave it at that. I cannot see the Gill Man as a CGI creature.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Fri May 27, 2005 12:29 pm

That's pretty much how I see Anaconda as well. It's almost identical in some scenes - I keep expecting the 'da-da-daaaa!' tune whenever the snake turns up.
Not sure how I'd feel about a remake, though. We've already got the films on dvd anyway, so there's no need for some blockbuster type film for them to be re-released as a cash-in. :)
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby Dr. Tongue » Fri May 27, 2005 12:42 pm

Gwangi wrote:I don't know about any remake. I consider "Anaconda" sort of an updated version of the story and just leave it at that.

And we all know how great that turned out. :roll:

Anywho, a remake doesn't sound too bad. All I need is a suit, not cgi creature, and a serious tone. But, like Goji66 said, this has been developing since the mid-80's, and I don't see a break through coming any time soon.

Offtopic: Nice signature, Klownzilla. :D

I WAAANT YOUR SKUUULS! I NEEEED YOUR SKUU-UUUU-UUULS!!
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in."
Dr. Tongue
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Gfan54 » Sat May 28, 2005 1:16 am

Here's an idead for you...how about NO remake and just continue enjoying the original trilogy the way it is :?: :roll:
Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby emeGoji » Sat May 28, 2005 3:14 am

Gfan54 wrote:Here's an idead for you...how about NO remake and just continue enjoying the original trilogy the way it is :?: :roll:

Because we're not necessarily saying it has to be a remake, we're just calling it that. The Gillman, like the other Universal Monsters, is a timeless character, that everybody wants to see on the big screen again.
gmk0taku takuGuy Jack B revenge of gmk0taku
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Sat May 28, 2005 4:21 pm

The remake is has been in development hell for over 20 years now. FILM FAX had a great article about the attempt in during the 3-D revival in the early 80's... Oddly enough what started as a CREATURE remake ended up evolving into JAW 3-D!!
Carpenter was trying to get to get a remake off the ground in the early 90's and had the good taste to say he wanted his Chreech to look basically just like the original but with less obviously rubber fingers.
SparkieGojira

Postby Klownzilla » Sat May 28, 2005 5:28 pm

planetxman wrote:
Better than the original ???!!!

To me, yeah.
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Goji66 » Sat May 28, 2005 6:44 pm

Gfan54 wrote:Here's an idead for you...how about NO remake and just continue enjoying the original trilogy the way it is :?: :roll:

Here's an idea... how about we forget about movies altogether and just go back to reading books, just like the old days? But for Gfan54, books are probably too high tech so we should just stick with good 'ol cave drawings. No need to upgrade those, since originals are always best, right? :roll:

If you know anything about art, you'd know that re-interpretation and variation is unavoidable. Culture, like time, generally moves forward and not backward. In other words...

...a new Creature movie would KICK-ASS if it materializes, and if you fear that, just hide away and pretend it doesn't exist.

Out of curiosity, Gfan54, do you have electric light in your house, or do you continue using torches at night because you like them just the way the are?
Goji66

Postby Gfan54 » Sat May 28, 2005 9:46 pm

taku wrote:

Because we're not necessarily saying it has to be a remake, we're just calling it that. The Gillman, like the other Universal Monsters, is a timeless character, that everybody wants to see on the big screen again.

I can agree with that, as long as the movie's done as a sequel and not as a remake, otherwise I'll just continue to enjoy the original movies.
Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gfan54 » Sat May 28, 2005 10:09 pm

Goji66 wrote:

Here's an idea... how about we forget about movies altogether and just go back to reading books, just like the old days? But for Gfan54, books are probably too high tech so we should just stick with good 'ol cave drawings. No need to upgrade those, since originals are always best, right? :roll:

If you know anything about art, you'd know that re-interpretation and variation is unavoidable. Culture, like time, generally moves forward and not backward. In other words...

...a new Creature movie would KICK-ASS if it materializes, and if you fear that, just hide away and pretend it doesn't exist.

Out of curiosity, Gfan54, do you have electric light in your house, or do you continue using torches at night because you like them just the way the are?

You know what, screw you, because I'm getting real tired of always stating that everything needs to stop being remade and that people should be able to just enjoy the original versions of classics without getting some kind of a smart ass remark from you about how "newer is always better". I feel that I should be able to simply state my opinion without receiving insults from you in response to it. Get over yourself!
Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby zillaspawn » Sun May 29, 2005 2:49 pm

I allways thought is instead of another hollywood remake they should make a creature 4 .same suit design but set in the present , universal could really do some impressive things with green screen and the new technology.
zillaspawn
Baby Godzilla

Postby Goji66 » Sun May 29, 2005 3:08 pm

Gfan54 wrote:You know what, screw you, because I'm getting real tired of always stating that everything needs to stop being remade and that people should be able to just enjoy the original versions of classics without getting some kind of a smart ass remark from you about how "newer is always better". I feel that I should be able to simply state my opinion without receiving insults from you in response to it. Get over yourself!

What does that say about you, when no one can discuss remakes without your condescending input? Every remake topic contains finger-wagging from you that everything should be left alone -- and that gets pretty tiresome, because most people who post in remake threads are actually interested in seeing something new.

If you hate remakes, why do you lurk in remake threads? It's a lot like gay-bashers who coincidentally can't get the gay sex act out of their minds.

Not to mention the irony that you post anti-remake remarks on a board dedicated to GODZILLA -- a movie series that's up to its eyeballs in remakes...
Last edited by Goji66 on Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goji66

Next

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television