Sonic the Hedgehog (2019)

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog (2019)

Postby lhb412 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 pm

I totally think that properties based on anime, manga, and video games (which are also often made in Japan) will become as ubiquitous as adaptations of American superhero comics are now. I'm 31, and ever since my childhood all of those things have occupied basically the same niche that things like superheroes did for generations before mine. While the Alita movie wasn't a huge hit, it felt distinctly like a reorientation into the right direction, and this new Pokemon movie looks like the arrival of this new age.

What does this have to do with Sonic the Hedgehog? It's just that this movie looks to be so thoroughly of the old school, wrongheaded ideas about how to franchise this stuff from the 90s. It it looks comparable to the Mario Brothers movie.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:30 pm

lhb412 wrote:It it looks comparable to the Mario Brothers movie.

I guess Sega does what Nintendid already.

Bad trailer for a bad-looking movie. That said, it doesn't look so awful as to be morbidly fascinating. I do anticipate some savagely funny reviews, however.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 am

It looks better than the new Doom movie. If I had to be honest.

And no, I'm not referring to the Karl Urban/Dwayne Johnson movie. There is a new one coming out.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed May 01, 2019 11:22 am

Sad to say though... while Hollywood has figured out how to do a Superhero movie correctly, they still haven't figured out how to adapt video games. I've seen several articles that indicate for the most part that because video games are interactive, people really don't want to just watch one, and if they do.... Most of the more popular games have videos of all cinema scenes edited together.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu May 02, 2019 9:47 pm

THR MAY 02, 2019:
'Sonic the Hedgehog' Director Vows to Change Character Design Following Fan Criticism
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:00 am

^ This is great! Now the team of overworked animators will have to put in serious crunch time to change this terrible film before it's released!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:45 am

^ something similar happened with the family friendly creature feature "Monster Trucks" a year or so ago after test audiences said the monster was too creepy. Pushed the movie over budget, missed its initial release date. It's a decent family movie (certainly better than the similarly themed movie AXL released shortly after)
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 am

So he's just gonna look "good" (not that he looked that bad in the first place) in a bad movie?

Hooray?
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Fri May 03, 2019 12:27 pm

I've never been a Sonic fan myself (somehow my son seems to be getting into the newer games though...), but...This is interesting. The only other trailer I've seen as much universal negativity for was Ghostbusters 2016. Of course changing thatto appease fans would have meant pretty much recasting everyone, and starting over. Still something like this might go a long way.

We saw it in Bumblebee. Sure the story was better than the Bay directed films, but just making the Transformers look closer to the original designs(sans the titular character) went a long way.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:06 am

phpBB [media]

Well the design looks a lot better and I think it's a better trailer, even if it is a bit "here's the entire film".
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dai » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Massive improvement. This now looks like it could be an okay kids' movie, as opposed to the nightmare-fuel trainwreck that the original trailer promised. Perhaps more significant than the design change is the added personality in the animation, especially the facial expressions. It's more reminiscent of the endearing early 90s Sonic now, which can only be a plus.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television