Obi-Wan Kenobi film

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Obi-Wan Kenobi film

Postby Henry88 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi Spin-Off Movie Starts Shooting In 2019 – Report
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star- ... 0-6455555/
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi film

Postby eabaker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 pm

I'm torn on this idea. I love Obi-Wan, and I love Ewan McGregor in the role, but I feel the character has a complete story as it stands, and I don't know that those "missing years" need exploring.

But, "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!", if somebody has a story they want to tell, then they should tell it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 11, 2018 9:07 am

Screen Rant:
Rumor: Obi-Wan Spinoff Movie Starts Filming Spring 2019
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri May 11, 2018 11:40 am

eabaker wrote:I'm torn on this idea. I love Obi-Wan, and I love Ewan McGregor in the role, but I feel the character has a complete story as it stands, and I don't know that those "missing years" need exploring.

But, "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!", if somebody has a story they want to tell, then they should tell it.

Yeah I'd love to see Ewan reprise the role, he's the perfect age for it. It would be one of those..."Yes I was in isolation for 20 years....except for this one time..." :wink:
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Collider 06/20/2018:
Exclusive: Future ‘A Star Wars Story’ Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm
STEVE 'FROSTY' WEINTRAUB wrote:It may be a while before we see any more movies like Solo: A Star Wars Story out of Lucasfilm. Sources with knowledge of the situation tell Collider that Lucasfilm has decided to put plans for more A Star Wars Story spinoff movies on hold, instead opting to focus their attention on Star Wars: Episode IX and what the next trilogy of Star Wars films will be after that film. Sources tell us that the previously rumored Obi-Wan movie was in active development, but those who were working on the film are no longer involved. It was recently reported that Logan filmmaker James Mangold was in early talks to write and direct the Boba Fett film, but that was before Solo’s release.

This news comes in the wake of the disappointing launch of Solo, which was only Lucasfilm’s second A Star Wars Story spinoff, but which received mixed-positive reviews and fell short of box office expectations. The film scored $84.4 million on opening weekend and has grossed $192.8 million domestically (and $339.5 million worldwide) in four weeks, which is nothing to scoff at but is far, far lower than the performance of other Star Wars movies at this benchmark. For comparison’s sake, Rogue One opened to $155 million and had grossed $424 million domestic by Week 4. To put it simply, while Solo did fine by blockbuster standards, it wasn’t the “event” that Lucasfilm expected out of a brand new Star Wars movie.

Of course the May release date could have had something to do with Solo’s disappointing performance. As opposed to Rogue One or the episodic films by J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, Solo went head-to-head with a slew of summer blockbusters in May, opening mere weeks after box office juggernauts Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2. One wonders how the film would have fared had Lucasfilm pushed Solo’s release to December instead.

Regardless, we’re hearing that plans to revisit this A Star Wars Story format have been put on hold for the moment. Initially announced as “anthology” movies, the spinoffs got off to a rocky start and haven’t exactly been smooth sailing. Josh Trank (Chronicle) was developing a Boba Fett movie around the same time Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) was prepping Rogue One, but Trank was subsequently removed from the project and Lucasfilm lost a film off its planned slate. Then story issues led to extensive reshoots on Rogue One that reworked the third act, with Tony Gilroy (The Bourne Legacy) overseeing the new scenes. And then of course Solo saw directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller fired during production, with Ron Howard coming in to replace them and reshoot a number of scenes.

In addition to Episode IX, Lucasfilm has officially announced development on a new Star Wars trilogy focused on new characters from The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson, as well as a new series of films written by Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. These projects continue to be in development and are not part of the paused spinoffs we’re hearing about. But Lucasfilm’s main focus at the moment is planning the next trilogy after the Abrams-directed Star Wars 9, which is expected to conclude the story of Rey (Daisy Ridley) that began with The Force Awakens.

As with everything in Hollywood, it’s always possible that some filmmaker could come in and pitch an idea for a Star Wars Story spinoff that makes Lucasfilm rethink its approach, or opt to greenlight that idea as a one-off, but as of right now we’re hearing the studio’s focus has moved away from these spinoffs for the time-being and is squarely intent on getting Episode IX to the finish line and figuring out what the next trilogy of films will be.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:28 pm

The Playlist:
Lucasfilm’s Obi-Wan Future Is Unclear; ‘Mos Eisley’ Spin-Off Movie Rumors & More
Rodrigo Perez wrote:OK, yes, this The Hollywood Reporter piece on “Star Wars” and Lucasfilm in the wake of the failure of “Solo: A Star Wars Story“—a film that’s going to gross less than even some of the 1980s version of the original trilogy movies, even unadjusted for inflation—is the gift that giveth and in the interest of not overcrowding a piece, let’s move onto the Obi-Wan side of things.

To recap, THR says, “Star Wars” spin-offs are still in development, but are likely being “reassessed.” This news may mean something like the James Mangold-directed “Boba Fett” movie could be reconfigured and scaled back in size and scope.

But what about the Obi-Wan movie? THR says the status of that film is “unclear.” Indeed, Stephen Daldry was in negotiations to direct the film sometime last year, but Lucasfilm never made an official announcement. In fact, no advancement was ever made on the story beyond. THR reached out for comment and both Lucasfilm and Daldry’s agency had nothing to say about the current state of the film. Rumors have said Ewan McGregor will reprise his role as the Master Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi, but none of that is remotely official.

Obi-Wan was rumored to have been prepping for a 2019 shoot, but given that no screenwriter was announced—though Sam Esmail of “Mr. Robot” was rumored—and Daldry’s participation was never confirmed, that did seem somewhat optimistic if not suspect (some have gone as far to speculate that “Obi-Wan”s pre-production was shut down, but I don’t know if that’s actually true).

To weigh in a bit more and confuse matters, here’s what I’ve heard from a Disney source, at least six months ago, but never reported and I’m going to stress I have no confirmation, so we’ll have to treat as hard rumor. I was told long ago that Stephen Daldry was off the project and not directing the Obi-Wan film. Is that why confirmation was never given, or anything was announced? It’s a good guess, but none of us really know.

I’d also heard, and granted, I found this to be fairly dubious at the time, was that the Obi-Wan film was going to be saved for Disney’s upcoming unnamed subscription-based streaming service; the one they hope to compete against Netflix with.

Now, that’s a great idea. What way to make a gigantic splash with a new streaming service than to announce that a new “Star Wars” film is coming and only subscribers of the service—much like a Netflix-only exclusive—would be able to see the movie. I’m sure Disney has some kind of plans like that in the works, but whether or not that’s the Obi-Wan movie, I’m not sure I’d place that bet.

But THR’s sources are already talking about scaled-back, “reconfigured” “Star Wars” movies, so maybe it’s a possibility that a “Star Wars” movie may one day premiere on that streaming service when it’s up and running, but whether or not that’s Obi-Wan, I’ll say it, I don’t really believe that.

That’s not all for “Star Wars” rumors though none of these are remotely my intel. To round up a little of what’s been in the air of late, Making Star Wars—the fan site which received a major profile in Wired magazine in 2015— that in the hubbub of all this news, something major was missed: a Mos Eisley Spaceport movie was canceled or postponed. Mos Eisley is a spaceport on the planet of Tatooine where Luke Skywalker and Ben Kenobi meet Han Solo and Chewbacca. It is legendary for being a “wretched hive of scum and villainy.”

It’s also a place that could very reasonably be connected to the criminal underworld of “Solo: A Star Wars Story” given that the crime lord Jabba The Hutt lived on Tatooine and was featured there in “A New Hope” (Special Edition) and “Return Of The Jedi.” THR has an interesting nugget there suggesting that that side of the universe – the “Star Wars Underworld” as it’s affectionately known as—has been left dangling in the wind thanks to the ‘Solo’ disappointment.

Certainly, hopes for a ‘Solo‘ sequel may be dead in the water along with any ideas of exploring the sub-section that fans call the “Star Wars Underworld.” ‘Solo’ teed up opportunities for characters such as Lando Calrissian and Darth Maul, who both appeared in the film, to become central characters in sequels or spin-offs, but who knows what will happen to those ideas now.

And so that Mos Eisley/Underworld film in development? While Making Star Wars got that shiny Wired profile, as the magazine pointed out, the fan site has been wrong just as often as it’s been right. File under rumor.

Star Wars.Net, another fan site, also echoed off Collider’s original reports of the “Star Wars spin-off film news claiming lots of little nuggets, one that Disney did not let Lucasfilm push ‘Solo’ to December 2018 (plausible, Disney did not let Lucasfilm delay ‘The Force Awakens‘ when J.J. Abrams asked for an extension, but not confirmed) and two: that Lucasfilm was done experimenting with unusual filmmaking choices like Phil Lord and Chris Miller and would stick to veterans with big budget experience (not an unreasonable thought given all the up-and-comers fired or pushed off “Star Wars” movies).

Lastly, Richard Rushfield, who runs the Ankler newsletter and has been correct quite a bit about industry matters in the past, including Sue Kroll stepping down as the head of WB’s Worldwide Marketing and Stacey Snider’s interest in joining the Amazon brand and a few other industry stories reported that Kathleen Kennedy, the President of Lucasfilm, could leave and announce a successor in September. ” The talk out there is of a September changing of the guards. We’ll see,” the Ankler wrote recently, but that seems too premature. It would also be a massive overcorrection for Lucasfilm to oust Kennedy after one disappointment given all the massive success the company has made so far since being acquired for Disney. So treat that one with the tiniest grain of salt, but it did admittedly shake the foundations of “Star Wars” nerds when it was mentioned a few weeks back. That’s it for now. May the force be with your weekend or whatever.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:32 am

I hope that Mos Eisley movie is just a rumour. The last thing Star Wars needs is another story on a desert planet, and a rehashed OT location to boot.

Unless said story is Hammerhead v Figrin D'an: Dawn of the Modal Nodes, then sign me up.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Back when Disney first announced the stand alone movies one of the short list ideas in the talk was a "young" Yoda movie. I'm disappointed the "young" Yoda movie either never came together or wasn't on the table at all; imagine a movie taking place 600, 700, or even 800 years before the original trilogy with Jedi Knight Yoda in his prime on some adventure or important mission. We could get to see more worlds, maybe some new aliens, new (well older) designs for for ships and tech.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm

The Shadow wrote:Back when Disney first announced the stand alone movies one of the short list ideas in the talk was a "young" Yoda movie. I'm disappointed the "young" Yoda movie either never came together or wasn't on the table at all; imagine a movie taking place 600, 700, or even 800 years before the original trilogy with Jedi Knight Yoda in his prime on some adventure or important mission. We could get to see more worlds, maybe some new aliens, new (well older) designs for for ships and tech.

My gut reaction is “ew, no!” But that’s a reaction largely shaded by the bad taste of the prequels.

Ignoring that, I actually think this could be amazing. Take some tonal inspiration from Empire Strikes Back and lean hard into the fairy tale and mythological elements and it could be downright amazing. I’m envisioning something involving a grand adventurous quest, akin to The Hobbit* or something.

Gah, another great story idea! I’m telling you, Disney needs to hire me for story outlines and ideas for their “A Star Wars Story” projects! Seriously!

*To be fair, I’ve never actually read The Hobbit or watched any film or tv version. But I’m envisioning the same kind of imagery associated with that work (and Lord of the Rings I guess) but featuring young Yoda on a formative quest that shapes his future.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:46 am

Read The Hobbit. It's a great book.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:34 pm

CinemaBlend:
Star Wars Production Designer Confirms Tatooine Was Part Of An Upcoming Spin-Off Film
ERIC EISENBERG wrote:Right now, the future of the Star Wars franchise is a bit unclear. J.J. Abrams' untitled Star Wars: Episode IX has entered production; and Logan's James Mangold has been hired to make an undated Boba Fett film, but nothing is really official beyond that. Sadly, we don't fully know what's going on behind closed doors at Lucasfilm -- but according to production designer Neil Lamont, one of the studio's upcoming-but-stopped projects included a return to the legendary fictional planet Tatooine. Lamont told me,
We were just starting our work on another Star Wars spinoff and yeah. We were actually just making our mark on Tatooine -- which would have been interesting and some other new galaxies. So hopefully, if that comes back, we'll get the chance to be able to do that further.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: The Ben Kenobi Show

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:29 pm

HN Entertainment February 18, 2019:
EXCLUSIVE: List of Disney+ ‘Star Wars’ Series Disney/Lucasfilm Is Considering

SWNN FEBRUARY 19TH, 2019:
REPORT: OBI-WAN KENOBI SERIES TO BE MADE FOR DISNEY+ STREAMING SERVICE
John Hoey wrote:Perhaps the most talked about and rumor-fueled wishlist item among Star Wars fans and media has been an Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone project. Well it sounds like that wish may have finally come true, but not how we envisioned it.

We were told that an Obi-Wan Kenobi limited TV series is happening, is the next top priority for the Disney+ streaming service, and that it could be as many as six episodes.

The Kenobi project was initially supposed to be a film, as had been reported several times over the last few years, but everything changed after the disappointing box office performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story. We were told that the Kenobi film was actually supposed to start production shortly after Solo premiered, and then everything changed. This certainly puts much more clarity on that famous Bob Iger “rethinking our approach” statement from last year.

This also may explain why Ewan McGregor was at the Solo premiere, as they may have expected an announcement for a Kenobi film to come soon thereafter. His stock replies to interview questions aside, Ewan McGregor has been on board with returning as Kenobi since day one.

I’ll be the first to admit I never would have imagined a Kenobi project being a TV series, as I find it hard enough to fill a two-hour movie with what old hermit Ben Kenobi could be doing during the time he is supposed to be in exile, but here we are.

I have no doubt that they will give Kenobi the stage and treatment he deserves, as this could potentially be one of the first Star Wars projects since The Force Awakens that all fans can unite around, especially after hearing the “script is GREAT.”

There is no confirmation on whether or not an announcement of the series is imminent, or that it will be announced at Star Wars Celebration, though if it is in good standing that would make sense – and although there are many “TV series” rumors out there right now, we are told this one is happening and will go into production. We can get into speculation on what it will be about, who will be in it, or who may be returning later. As always, we will update you if we learn more details about the project, but it is a good time to be a Star Wars fan. Thanks for reading!

/fim:
Let’s Grade Each of Those Rumored ‘Star Wars’ Disney+ Spin-Offs

/film Monday, February 25th, 2019:
Third ‘Star Wars’ TV Show May Be in Production
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:15 pm

COLLIDER:
Rumor: Ewan McGregor Has Signed on to Lead an Obi-Wan Series for Disney+

Deadline August 15, 2019:
Ewan McGregor May Return As Obi-Wan Kenobi In Disney+ Series
Dino-Ray Ramos & Geoff Boucher wrote:Ewan McGregor may be picking up his lightsaber again. The 48-year-old Scottish actor is in talks about reprising his role as the heartfelt but headstrong Jedi master known as Obi-Wan Kenobi in a yet-to-be-titled Disney+ series, Deadline has confirmed.

Details about the series following the Jedi master are being kept under wraps. McGregor played the younger version of the wise but irascible Star Wars icon in the three prequel films: The Phantom Menace (1999), Attack of the Clones (2002) and Revenge of the Sith (2005). McGregor also revisited the role to make a voice-only cameo in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015).

Plans to produce a stand-alone Kenobi feature film morphed into the current plan for a big-budget series for Disney+, just as the discussion of a Boba Fett film gave way to the similarly spirited The Mandalorian series.

It may sound like a demotion in status and priority (and a reaction to the disappointing returns on the Han Solo film) but Disney+ is a small-screen venture of colossal importance to Disney. The digital subscription service has become an all-hands-on-deck mission for Disney with a bevy of shows from Marvel Studios and major-budget original programming, such as the high-profile remake of The Lady and The Tramp.

Disney+ plans are expected to be a core component of the on-stage preview presentations at Disney’s D23 Expo later this month in Anaheim. That programming will likely include the introduction of McGregor as a returning screen star in the Jedi universe.

Alec Guinness introduced the role of Ben “Obi-Wan” Kenobi in 1977 in Star Wars, the original installment in George Lucas’ space opera, which was later renamed Star Wars: A New Hope. Kenobi was struck down in that first film during a heart-wrenching light saber confrontation with Darth Vader aboard the huge space station called the Death Star, but the old Jedi wizard returned as a disembodied voice or spectral vision in the film’s two mega-successful sequels, The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983).

Guinness died in 2000 after a storied acting career that included roles in The Bridge on the River Kwai, Dr. Zhivago, Kind Hearts and Coronets, as well as Lawrence of Arabia, the David Lean-directed epic that both Lucas and Steven Spielberg have described as a North Star influence on their own bodies of work. By casting Guinness, Lucas wisely imported the gravitas of that epic career into his Jedi universe but the actor himself was famously unimpressed with the filmmaker’s interstellar saga, which the British stage

McGregor inherited the beloved role with all the major pressure and smothering legacy that goes with any generational shift in the fantasy saga, which long ago transcended the status of blockbuster brand to become a quasi-religion (and pathological retail obsession) for millions of fans. But McGregor delivered in a big way, adding dimension and depth to his character even when the wonky dialogue did him no favors on either front.

McGregor had made a name for himself already with memorable turns in compelling indie fare like Trainspotting, Brassed Off, and Shallow Grave, but the 1999 global relaunch of Star Wars took him to a new strata in his screen career. Without his Jedi robes, he also added notable successes with films such as Moulin Rouge, Black Hawk Down, Angels & Demons, The Ghost Writer, Beginners, and Christopher Robin.

This year McGregor will be seen in the nefarious role of Black Mask in the Birds of Prey film and in horror sequel Doctor Sleep, in which he portrays Danny Torrance, the grown-up survivor of the Overlook Hotel massacre depicted in The Shining.

All Star Wars films will be available on the Disney+ platform. The new Star Wars with McGregor series would join the previously announced The Mandalorian from Jon Favreau and starring Pedro Pascal. That series takes place years after the events of Return of the Jedi and follows a lone Mandalorian gunfighter on the volatile rim planets beyond the reaches of law and order. The bounty hunter series will debut on Nov. 12, the Disney+ launch date.

Disney+ will also have a Star Wars spinoff series starring Diego Luna and Alan Tudyk reprising their Rogue One characters Cassian Andor and K-2S0. Stephen Schiff will serve as showrunner.

THR AUGUST 17, 2019:
'Star Wars': Will Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Include Darth Maul?
Last edited by mr.negativity on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:35 pm

I'm hearing it's 8 episodes and part of the reason McGregor signed up was that he was going to direct some of the episodes.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:39 pm

VARIETY AUGUST 23, 2019:
Ewan McGregor Confirms Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney Plus Series to Shoot Next Year

COLLIDER:
Obi-Wan Kenobi TV Series Takes Place Eight Years After ‘Revenge of the Sith’
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: The Obi-Wan Kenobi Show

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 pm

THR, SEPTEMBER 27, 2019:
Obi-Wan Kenobi TV Series Finds Director (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:This is the director Obi-Wan has been looking for. Deborah Chow, who directed episodes of the upcoming Star Wars TV series The Mandalorian, is returning to the far-away galaxy and will direct the series featuring the popular character Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Ewan McGregor is returning as the Jedi Master for the series Lucasfilm is making for Disney+, the stand-alone $7 streaming service that the company is launching Nov. 12. It is unclear if Chow will direct the entire series, which is said to be either six or eight episodes, or part of the series.

Chow has proved herself in the elevated genre space in cable series. In addition to two episodes of Mandalorian, she has directed and worked on shows such as American Gods, Better Call Saul, Lost in Space, Jessica Jones, Reign and Mr. Robot. She is repped by WME.

The Disney+ series centers on Kenobi, one of the central figures in the Star Wars mythos. In the original 1977 movie, he is a desert-dwelling, war-weary hermit who later proves to be a wise and powerful warrior. Kenobi briefly mentors a young Luke Skywalker on Tatooine before being cut down by Darth Vader, his former pupil.

In the George Lucas-directed prequels, Kenobi fought alongside the young Jedi who would eventually become Vader and betray him and the Jedi Order. The live-action character was last seen in 2005's Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith, back on the desert planet Tatooine.

McGregor’s Kenobi series is the third live-action series on the Disney+ docket. Mandalorian is central to the launch of the streaming service, which is also developing a Rogue One prequel amongst its Star Wars offering. The latter is an untitled series featuring Rebel Alliance officer Cassian Andor, with Diego Luna reprising the role.

A Kenobi stand-alone project had been set up as a feature, with Stephen Daldry directing, in 2017. But Disney switched gears on its plans for the Star Wars franchise after the relatively underwhelming box office response to the Han Solo spinoff Solo, which grossed $392 million worldwide that year.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:18 pm

/film:
The Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Was Originally Planned to Be a Feature Film, Ewan McGregor Confirms
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:06 pm

/film, Monday, November 25th, 2019:
‘The Mandalorian’ Director Deborah Chow Talks the “Complex” Setting of Her Obi-Wan Kenobi Series
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television