Star Trek:Discovery (2017)

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Star Trek: Spock, Sybok and Shebok

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:09 am

Star Trek: Discovery Main Character Is Spock’s Half-Sister
The producers of the upcoming Star Trek prequel confirm during Comic-Con that lead character Michael Burnham is the half-sister of Spock.
ImageImage
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Star Trek:Discovery (2017)

Postby The Shadow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Spock's other half-sibling, Sybok -a full Vulcan, was not exactly a stable individual...
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:38 am

Midnight's Edge Jul 29, 2017:
Star Trek Discovery: To Be Replaced by Nicholas Meyer’s New Series?
phpBB [media]

Star Trek Roundtable Follow Up After Dark Cut
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Star Trek:Discovery vs The Orville

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:47 am

Deadline August 8, 2017:
Seth MacFarlane: ‘The Orville’ Occupies Sci-Fi Space ‘Star Trek’ Left Behind En Route To Dystopia
Lisa de Moraes wrote:TV critics seem unanimously dubious CBS Television Studios is going to be okay with Seth MacFarlane’s new Fox one-hour dramedy The Orville, owing to the new series’ Star Trek-ishness.

Set four centuries from now, The Orville follows the adventures in the final frontier of the USS Orville, as its human and alien crew tackles the battles, politics and workplace drama of galactic travel.

At the start of Fox’s day at TCA, critic bluntly asked Fox TV Group chairman/CEO Dana Walden if she’s worried they’ll be sued. (short answer: Nope).

But, they tiptoed around the question in the presence of Seth MacFarlane and The Orville cast and crew, whose members include veteran Trek producer Brannon Braga.

“How do you define the relationship of the series with Star Trek,” one critic asked MacFarlane, kicking off the Q&A.

“Star Trek itself sprang from a lot of different sci-fi tropes that came before it,” MacFarlane insisted. “The idea of a ship, in the naval sense, cruising in space did not originate with that show,” he said. He insisted he drew from “many different places” when creating The Orville, also including Twilight Zone which, he said, like Star Trek, is a franchise he holds in high regard.

“I miss the…aspirational place Star Trek used to occupy,” MacFarlane said. “They’ve chosen to go in a different direction,” he said, describing that direction as dystopian. The space Star Trek, MacFarlane maintained, now is “unoccupied.”

“They can’t all be Hunger Games,” he said. “There is some space for aspirational.” The Orville, he said is “an attempt to fill that void.”

One critic said the show does not feel like “today’s science fiction,” wondering why he made a show that looks and feels like the 90’s. “Because I miss the optimism,” MacFarlane responded. “I’m tired of being told everything is going to be grim and dystopian…I miss the hopeful side of science fiction.”

EP David Goodman took a question as to whether there is room for The Orville and the Star Trek revival planned for this fall, Star Trek: Discovery, from CBS Television Studios, which owns Trek TV rights.

“I think there is room for two spaceship shows,” Goodman said, noting “there’s more than one cop show.”

MacFarlane said the two shows “they could not be more different” tonally. “They’re continuing in the new direction they’ve chosen to go with that franchise; we’re more old school.”

Earlier in the day, TV critics asked Walden if she’s worried they’ll be sued.

“We’re not really concerned,” Walden said. “We obviously have a big legal team. We vet things, so it’s not like we’re just flying by the seat of our pants out here. Seth’s intention is to do something that clearly pays homage to Star Trek, that clearly was inspired a lot by Star Trek.”

“I can’t imagine, especially when you see the direction that the Star Trek franchise is moving, that anyone would consider it anything other than a compliment,” she said, adding “most shows have some DNA of previous shows.”
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:23 am

^ That actually makes me want to watch The Orville
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 am

I remain cautiously optimistic. I mean Galaxy Quest was a great parody. But I figured Orville was just going to be Star Trek with Gutter Humor (ala Family Guy) Infused. If he actually tries for something more intelligent and up beat, it could definitely be way more popular than the current Star Trek series.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:21 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby sentaison » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:06 am

Well thanks to sports game derived schedule jumping I only caught the last half of Discovery, which was enough to convince me to not pay to see any more of it. In fact I really can't see myself watching it even if it were on the regular network. The main character commited one act during that second half that made her unfit to wear a uniform, regardless of any "redemptive" acts she may perform later. I find myself completely uninterested in anything else she does, and as she is the focus of the series, uninterested in it as a whole. This is not to mention the changes to the Klingons and a general tone that I got that was very non-Trek in nature.

The Orville is more true to the legacy of Star Trek than this misfire. :x
sentaison
Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Watching the pilot (or half a pilot since the second hour is only on CBS All Access in the US) this show just seems very much a Nu-Trek/Kelvin Timeline show. In some ways all the talk of this show being just prior to TOS and in the main timeline is like all the lies from the crew making the 2009 Nu-Trek movie when Trekkies correctly figured out early on that the new movie was an alternate universe.

Everything about it screams Nu-Trek/Kelvin Timeline to me: overall tech/ship design & usage (though some design and aesthetic changes are understandable), how the show is filmed (odd tilted camera angles at times), and how some of the characters act.

For example Sarek: in the original series Spock's joining Starfleet was a major reason for his and Sarek's (his father) rocky relationship and yet in ST:Discovery
Spoiler Below:
Sarek apparently has no qualms with foster daugther(?) Michael Burnham joining Starfleet. Burnham's relationship to Sarek also begs the question why was she shipped off to Vulcan after her parents were killed; surely Burnham has other family on Earth who would have taken her in.

Star Trek: Discovery also uses the Nu-Trek/Kelvin design for the Klingons (which always gets me thinking about the Enemy Mine aliens)
Spoiler Below:
apparently, in the second half of the pilot we get to see the full Klingon High Council and all the Klingons are the Nu-Trek/Kelvin design. If this show was truly taking place in the main Star Trek timeline we should have at least seen a mixture of TOS and ST:TMP-forward appearing Klingons along with the "we're not really copying Enemy Mine" Nu-Trek style Klingons

Another reason I'm thinking this new show is really part of the Nu-Trek/Kelvin alternate universe is ship choice. In the main timeline/universe Kirk gets command of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 in 2264. The Enterprise was launched in 2245 (19 years before Kirk gets command). The events of the pilot "The Cage" (used for the flashback episodes "The Menagerie parts 1 & 2") "thirteen years before James T. Kirk takes command of the U.S.S. Enterprise" according to the official Star Trek website; approximately 2251. I'm not excluding the idea of any new ship designs, just that if this show was taking place in the main timeline/universe then there is no reason we shouldn't see any Constitution class ships (even the Enterprise under the command of Robert April or Christopher Pike) with ST:DSC taking place around 10 years before TOS.
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Re: Star Trek:Discovery (2017) ***SPOILERS***

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:20 am

YouTube Sep 27, 2017:
Star Trek Discovery Pilot Review and Roundtable Discussion
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Having watched the first three episodes, I have really mixed feelings about Discovery. It took me a while to get into the right mindset during the first episode because the opening credits made me laugh my ass off. It has credits for twenty producers. TWENTY! Talk about too many cooks... Other distractions include the non-stop apeing of JJ's lens-flare abuse, the desperately forced attempts to give each character a memorable quirk, and the startling tonal shift into horror during episode 3. But, above all other concerns, is the fact that this is one character's story instead of an ensemble; that's the antithesis of what Trek is about.

Positives: the effects sequences are gorgeous. The opening two-parter has already given us more ship-to-ship combat than all three Kelvin movies combined. The gangly alien XO of the Discovery is a pretty interesting character. Episode 3 injected some much-needed mystery, intrigue, and sense of wonder (albeit dulled by the uncharacteristic moments of body horror).

Overall, this could turn out to be a decent SF series, but it has yet to offer up much of what I want from Star Trek. Instead of new life-forms or new civilisations, it's focusing on the most well known and clearly defined of all the franchise's antagonists. Attack of the Klingons is a place this franchise has gone many times before. I just hope Discovery will start to live up to its name.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:34 am

If this was in the future (post-TNG/DS9/Voy etc) or a third time line I'd have basically no issues what so ever. What issues I have are the inconsistencies with the timeline with the presentation. Although the conversation reveal of the relationship between the engineer and doctor guy at the end of one of the episodes was awkward as hell. It's like the writers and director didn't know how to handle domestic scenes.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:54 pm

THR JUNE 14, 2018:
'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunners Out; Alex Kurtzman to Take Over (Exclusive)
Lesley Goldberg wrote:CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery is making its second showrunner change.

Out are Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts, who originally took over the role at the helm of the drama from Bryan Fuller. Executive producer Alex Kurtzman, who has guided the franchise (and a few of its feature films), will take over as showrunner on season two. As part of the change, Kurtzman will now also oversee the Discovery writers room for season two.

"We’ve made some producer changes at Star Trek: Discovery. The series continues under the creative vision and leadership of executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman. Discovery remains on course for season two in 2019 with new and continuing stories that build on its successful premiere season," producers CBS Television Studios said Thursday in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

Sources say the decision to oust Berg and Harberts was based not on the creative but instead for leadership and operational issues. Production on Discovery's first five episodes of season two are near completion, with Kurtzman likely taking over for episode six and beyond. Berg and Harberts, who were longtime collaborators with original showrunner Fuller, will likely still be credited on the episodes they oversaw. Sources say the budget for the season two premiere ballooned, with the overages expected to come out of subsequent episodes from Discovery's sophomore run. Insiders also stress that Berg and Harberts became increasingly abusive to the Discovery writing staff, with Harberts said to have leaned across the writers room table while shouting an expletive at a member of the show's staff. Multiple writers are said to have been uncomfortable working on the series and had threatened to file a complaint with human resources or quit the series altogether before informing Kurtzman of the issues surrounding Berg and Harberts. After hearing rumors of HR complaints, Harberts is said to have threatened the staff to keep concerns with the production an internal matter.

Sources tell THR that Discovery is nearing what has been characterized as a planned production hiatus after episode five, which will allow Kurtzman time to regroup the show's writing staff. Production is not expected to be impacted by the showrunner change.

In another departure for season two of Star Trek, THR has learned that executive producer Akiva Goldsman did not return to Discovery after serving as Kurtzman's right-hand man during its freshman run. Goldsman was brought in to help build the world of Discovery, but the veteran producer, who directed the season one finale, is said to have had a management style and personality that clashed with the writing staff. It's unclear if Goldsman will continue to receive an exec producer credit on season two.

This is the second showrunner change on Star Trek: Discovery. Former showrunner Fuller clashed with CBS over the show's concept, casting, directors, costumes and budget on top of its original launch date. (The series was originally slated to premiere in January 2017 and was delayed twice.)

In October 2016, Fuller was asked to step down as showrunner — after growing up as a diehard fan of the franchise and eventually working on Deep Space Nine and Voyager — when the network grew frustrated that he was splitting time with Starz's hyper-stylized American Gods adaptation. Fuller's longtime collaborators, Berg and Harberts, were tapped to replace him. (Fuller and co-showrunner Michael Green were subsequently fired from American Gods after clashing with producers FremantleMedia over that show's budget.)

Amid all the changes, Kurtzman — who directed the series premiere — has been the glue holding Discovery together. CBS and producers CBS Television Studios are said to be pleased with the cuts and scripts they have seen from season two. Discovery is expected to return in 2019, when it will lean deeper into the Star Trek mythology with the casting of Anson Mount as Captain James T. Kirk's predecessor, Capt. Christopher Pike.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:03 pm

I've always thought Alex Kurtzman's television work was far stronger than his movie work (same goes for his frequent partner Roberto Orci). It would be interesting to find out what Fuller's vision for Star Trek: Discovery was, and how it differs from what was eventually delivered.
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Re: Alex Kurtzman's Expanded ‘Star Trek’ Universe

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 pm

THR JUNE 19, 2018:
Alex Kurtzman Inks $25M Overall Deal Extension With CBS TV Studios, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV Franchise
Lesley Goldberg wrote:Under the new pact, Kurtzman will serve as the Star Trek: Discovery's lone showrunner after taking over from Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg, who were recently fired from the series. Kurtzman will also expand the Star Trek franchise for the small screen, developing new series, miniseries and other content, including animation.

The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been getting louder. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen, despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise.

“There is a very short list of writer-producer-directors that every film and television studio wants to be associated with, and Alex and his Secret Hideout team are always at the top,” CBS Television Studios president David Stapf said Tuesday in a statement. “His talent, taste and ability to shepherd a successful project is unparalleled. Alex has done remarkable work for our studio, dating back seven years to the launch of Hawaii Five-0, and we are thrilled that he, [Secret Hideout president] Heather [Kadin] and their team will be partnering with us for a long time to come.”

VARIETY JUNE 19, 2018:
Alex Kurtzman Sets Five-Year CBS TV Studios Pact, Will Oversee Expanded ‘Star Trek’ Universe
Joe Otterson wrote:
Variety has learned that the studio behind “Star Trek: Discovery” has signed Alex Kurtzman to a new five-year overall deal that will see him supervise the expansion of CBS’ “Star Trek” franchise for television, developing new series, mini-series and other content opportunities, including animation.

To that end, sources say there are currently multiple shows set within the “Star Trek” universe already in development.

The potential new shows are said to include:

A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo currently serve as co-showrunners on the Hulu-Marvel series “Runaways” and are best known for creating shows like “Gossip Girl” and the CW’s reboot of Dynasty.

A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

A limited series based around the “Wrath of Khan” story. Khan’s full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode “Space Seed” and again in the film “Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.” Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film “Star Trek Into Darkness.”

An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

CBS Television Studios declined to confirm any specific projects.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:34 pm

THR 01/25/2018:
Shari Redstone's Viacom-CBS Merger Plans Take Shape Amid Tension
Kim Masters wrote:It's a scenario that would have been unthinkable a year ago: a Viacom-CBS merger without Leslie Moonves at the helm. Yet insiders at both companies found it imaginable in recent days as Shari Redstone, faced with a time of breathtaking change in the industry, maneuvers to reunite the houses that her father divided in 2005.

The inconceivable seemed possible after The Wall Street Journal published a Jan. 17 article saying that Redstone was "advocating for new blood" on the CBS board and was "dissatisfied" with succession strategy and "a general lack of long-range strategic planning" at the company. Those were fighting words, and CBS executives could only conclude that the "people familiar with the matter" cited as sources were Redstone surrogates.

THR 9/9/2018:
Leslie Moonves Exits CBS After Being Accused of Sex Crimes, Violence by More Women
Ryan Parker wrote:Regarding a merger option for CBS and Viacom, that is currently not imminent, the company said. "NAI confirmed that it has no plans to propose a merger of CBS and Viacom and has agreed that it will make no such proposal for at least two years after the date of the settlement," CBS said. "NAI reaffirmed that it will give good faith consideration to any business combination transaction or other strategic alternative that the independent directors believe are in the best interests of the Company and its stockholders."

/film September 10th, 2018:
CBS CEO Les Moonves Resigns Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations
Hoai-Tran Bui wrote:CBS-Viacom Merger on Hold: What Does This Mean for Star Trek?

Following Moonves’ sudden resignation, Joseph Ianniello stepped up as acting CEO while six new members of the directors have been elected. Separately, CBS settled its long-standing court battle with Shari Redstone and National Amusements, the controlling shareholder in CBS and Viacom. Much of Moonves’ tenure at CBS has been marked by a power struggle with Redstone over her plan to merge CBS and Viacom. But with Moonves’ departure, CBS announced that it was dropping its lawsuit against National Amusements in return for National Amusements confirming it would not seek a merger between the companies for the next two years. National Amusements also reaffirmed that it will “give good faith consideration” to any potential mergers or acquisitions — suggesting that CBS could be acquired by a separate company in those two years.

Which brings us to the question of the Star Trek franchise. Currently, the TV divisions and film divisions operate under two separate companies: CBS and Paramount. The potential CBS-Viacom merger would have brought the franchise under one house for the first time in decades, bringing in the possibility of more synergy between future film and TV projects. But with the merger on hold, it seems like Star Trek will remain divided for now, with Star Trek: Discovery spearheading CBS All Access and the Star Trek films operating separately at Paramount.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Star Trek:Discovery (2019)

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:35 pm

phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: ‘Crazy Rich Aliens’

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:51 am

Deadline November 9, 2018:
‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Michelle Yeoh In Talks For ‘Star Trek’ Spinoff On CBS All Access
Dominic Patten wrote:EXCLUSIVE: The return of Patrick Stewart’s Jean-Luc Picard was the first official series of the Trekverse expansion, and it looks like another Starfleet captain could be talking the helm in her own show too.

Crazy Rich Asians star Michelle Yeoh is in talks to reprise her Star Trek Discovery role of Captain Emperor Georgiou for a stand-alone CBS All Access series, I’ve learned.

There is a natural momentum here as Yeoh’s once Captain Philippa Georgiou is already set to return to Discovery in Season 2 after leaping off into the final frontier at the end of Season 1. Still in the early planning stages, the spinoff looks likely to focus on a continuation of her Discovery Season 2 adventures in Starfleet’s Section 31 division. The semi-secret and autonomous organization has been a part of Trek lore since it was first introduced in the 1990s on the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine series.

A CBS spokesperson declined comment when contacted by Deadline about the status of any Yeoh-led spinoff. When the Alex Kurtzman-run expansion was first announced in June, a Georgiou series was one that Deadline postulated.

The first revealed casting of the Discovery series, the recruitment of Yeoh’s Georgiou into Section 31 is a storyline for the January 17-debuting Season 2 of Discovery that she teased online when she appeared at New York Comic-Con in October.

Yet, with those seeds planted for a Yeoh-led spinoff, the series is one of several ideas being pursued by Discovery EP Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout and David Stapf’s CBS TV Studios for the multi-project, multi-year Trekverse expansion, sources say. “My goal is that there should be a Star Trek something on all the time on All Access,” Stapf told Deadline in August.

In this particular case, a major factor is Yeoh’s own packed dance card. With projects including a not-yet-officially-greenlighted Crazy Rich Asians sequel and the overall deal and recent formation of her own production shingle with SK Global Entertainment, the actor’s availability could be limited for a commitment of a series lead.

If the Georgiou series were to make to the cut, it would join the now well-established Discovery and the upcoming and untitled Picard series. The Trekverse expansion also already includes the recently announced half-hour adult animated comedy series Star Trek: Below Decks and the now-showing Star Trek: Short Treks.

So, crank up the warp drive, Captain on deck.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Spoiler Below:
phpBB [media]

Deadline January 24, 2019:
‘Star Trek: Discovery’: Jonathan Frakes Goes Back To The Future & Finds Starfleet’s Past
Geoff Boucher wrote:Federation space is something Jonathan Frakes knows backward and forward so it’s no surprise that he’s back in Starfleet mode as the director of New Eden, the new Star Trek: Discovery episode that makes its premiere tonight on CBS All-Access, the subscription streaming service and home of the latest Enterprise from a sci-fi brand that now spans six different decades.

As an actor, Frakes is best known as the brave and dutiful Starfleet Commander William T. Riker, a role that took him through 176 episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation and four tie-in feature films, including two (Star Trek: First Contact in 1996, Star Trek: Insurrection in 1998) that Frakes also directed. The Riker character may have resisted promotions that would have put him in a captain’s seat of his own but in real life Frakes made the leap to the director’s chair with zeal. He’s now been a prolific presence in television for three decades with helming credits that include Burn Notice, Castle, Leverage, The Orville, and NCIS: Los Angeles.

Frakes directed an episode in Season 1 of Star Trek: Discovery and has now returned to direct two more for Season 2. CBS All-Access will soon be expanding its programming fleet with a Discovery spin-off and a new series featuring Patrick Stewart in a revival of Jean-Luc Picard, his iconic Next Generation role. Deadline caught up with Frakes this week to discuss the latest Star Trek generation of crew members, the ramping Stewart series and the nebulous nature of television in this era of new-tech competition and old-media churn.

THR FEBRUARY 12, 2019:
CBS Shareholders Point to $200M in "Suspicious" Insider Stock Sales Prior to Les Moonves Exposé
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Alex Kurtzman's ‘Star Trek’ Universe

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:14 pm

THR FEBRUARY 13, 2019:
'Star Trek': Kids-Focused Animated Series Near Nickelodeon Deal
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Alex Kurtzman's ‘Star Trek’ Universe

Postby XvGojira » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 am

mr.negativity wrote:THR FEBRUARY 13, 2019:

Sounds interesting but I wonder what they'll do. He talks about wanting it to be aspirational, mention how Trek doesn't have a farm-boy Luke aspect just fully formed adult officers. So would this be Starfleet the animated series, following the adventures of a group of cadets in Starfleet? That's the first idea that pops into my head. Trek doesn't have the young rebel/resistance/freedom fighter apsect that Star Wars has with Rebels and Resistance. As long as it's not modeled after Teen Titans Go, I'm sure I'll be fine with it.

Also wasn't aware of an "adult" animated series (or rather non-child oriented series as I don't think it'll be animated Trek porn), and I dig the idea of seeing the bottom of the Starfleet totem pole.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Re: Alex Kurtzman's ‘Star Trek Babies’

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:05 am

XvGojira wrote:
mr.negativity wrote:THR FEBRUARY 13, 2019:

Sounds interesting but I wonder what they'll do.

Spoiler Below:
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:07 pm

This is one of those things they should have been doing all along. Star Trek belongs on TV, and it's good to see such an ambitious slate of TV projects aimed at more than one kind of audience.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Star Trek:Discovery (2017-)

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:15 am

Screen Rant:
Discovery Will Show Star Trek's First-Ever Aliens: THE TALOSIANS
JOHN ORQUIOLA wrote:Star Trek: Discovery will visit Talos IV - home of the first-ever aliens in Star Trek. Introduced in the original Star Trek pilot episode, "The Cage", which was aired as "The Menagerie" two-parter in The Original Series season 1, the Talosians haven't been seen in any Star Trek TV series or movie since.

THR FEBRUARY 27, 2019:
'Star Trek: Discovery' Renewed for Season 3 at CBS All Access With New Co-Showrunner Michelle Paradise
Lesley Goldberg wrote:Star Trek: Discovery will take off again for CBS All Access.

The SVOD platform has handed out a third-season renewal for the cornerstone of its rapidly growing Star Trek franchise. Additionally, Discovery writer Michelle Paradise — who joined the series in season two — has been promoted to serve as co-showrunner for season three. She will continue to work alongside franchise captain Alex Kurtzman on the series.

Paradise becomes the third new showrunner to pilot Discovery. Kurtzman, who co-created the series alongside Bryan Fuller, took over for Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg after the duo were dismissed early in production of season two. Harberts and Berg replaced Fuller, who was also let go before Discovery's debut. Kurtzman and Paradise will serve as co-showrunners.

A return date for the third season was not announced. The renewal arrives as the drama returned Jan. 20 for its sophomore run after nearly a year off the air as Kurtzman charts a careful course with the series following multiple delays in getting the drama off the ground ahead of its first season.

"Michelle joined us midway through season two and energized the room with her ferocious knowledge of Trek," Kurtzman said Wednesday in a statement. "Her grasp of character and story detail, her drive and her focus have already become essential in ensuring the Trek legacy, and her fresh perspective always keeps us looking forward. I’m proud to say Michelle and I are officially running Star Trek: Discovery together."

Discovery is the flagship of the Star Trek universe for CBS All Access, which, like other streamers, does not release viewership information. The platform, under the oversight of Kurtzman, is also developing a Michelle Yeoh-led spinoff, and series including the animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks, a Patrick Stewart-led Picard live-action drama and others, including an animated comedy for Nickelodeon and a younger-skewing Starfleet Academy entry from The O.C. duo Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage and other animated offerings, are in the works.

“The massive success of Star Trek: Discovery's second-season launch exceeded our expectations in both driving subscriber growth and generating a phenomenal response from Star Trek fans,” said Julie McNamara, executive vp originals at CBS All Access. “With Alex Kurtzman and Michelle Paradise at the helm, we look forward to continuing Star Trek: Discovery's journey, growing the Star Trek franchise on CBS All Access and bringing fans new Star Trek stories for many years to come.”

Discovery, starring Sonequa Martin-Green and Ethan Peck, is produced by CBS TV Studios, where Kurtzman's Secret Hideout banner is based. Beyond the other Star Trek offerings, CBS All Access' scripted roster includes The Good Fight, Strange Angel, Tell Me a Story and the upcoming Twilight Zone and Interrogation. The comedy No Activity is awaiting word on a potential third season.

For Paradise's part, her credits include The Originals, Hart of Dixie and Rogue and creating, writing and starring in the former MTV/Logo series Exes and Ohs. She is repped by ICM Partners.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Back in the beginning of February, Youtube channel Midnight's Edge released a video called "Star Trek Discovery: The Prime Deception – CBS and Paramount Viacom Rights Explained". The video looks at the history of Star Trek ownership to the present state and why the current Star Trek productions are significantly different from everything 1966-2005 (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, & the movies). In short, everything from the 2009 movie to the present is created under an alternate Star Trek license and is not a part of the original Star Trek (both the Kelvin universe of the movies and the "Prime" universe that Kelvin universe diverges from).

NSFW warning, in quoting some articles there are a couple-three instances of strong cuss words used.

phpBB [media]

Midnight's Edge also released a shortened version of the above video called "Why the Star Trek Prime Timeline is NOT Canon Explained" which I do not believe has the quoted cussing (they were in the longer ownership sections that are mostly trimmed in this version).

phpBB [media]
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television