[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi 12/15/17 • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi 12/15/17

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi 12/15/17

Postby Gwangi » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Had a chance to finally see this on home video and perhaps get a better sense of it all. When I saw it at the theater months ago, I initially gave it a soft *** stars.

The things that I still liked. Rey's heritage which I thought was refreshing (though I strongly feel that is going to be changing in the next movie, as Kylo was most likely fibbing). That Twin Peak-ish red room (Snoke's chambers). The Rashomon-like arc between Luke & Kylo and finally, the Luke/Kylo confrontation.

The things I did not like. Admiral Holdo. Never understood her logic. DJ, which I thought was a pretty much a waste of Bencio Del Toro's talents. Grouchy Luke Skywalker. And finally Canto Bite, which looked like it belonged in the prequels.

After seeing this again, I found the sins of the movie a little more pronounced and thus I now change my rating from *** to **1/2 stars. We shall see where Episode 9 takes us.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:17 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm

I think Mark Hammill is just kinda sh***y about Star Wars, honestly. He's been so all over the place with regards to his statements on TLJ from "I don't like it" to "I love it" to "I don't even understand it," I think he doesn't really even think about it beyond being a gig. He's basically admitted at various times that he thinks it's stupid and everyone takes it too seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if this was borderline trolling.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 pm

^I actually appreciate Mark Hamill's tongue and cheek responses when it comes to anything about his Star Wars character. He seems to appreciate the fact that Star Wars resonates with so many people, but he doesn't have the least bit of patience for pedantic nerdy stuff of any kind. As an OG nerd himself I suppose he got his fill of it sometime long ago.

Being almost 10 months on from the release of The Last Jedi everything about Star Wars has become tiresome. I'm on the record loving the movie, and I think it's definitely the strongest Star Wars movie made sense... hell, since Empire, but certainly since Disney bought them out - but constantly having to defend the movie like it's some sort of murder suspect is wearying. The folks who hate this movie just have not abated, and it's made me rethink generations of nerd behavior. Hell, at this point if I meet Roland Emmerich or Dean Devlin I probably say something like 'hey, I'm a big Godzilla fan and I just want to apologize on all the unpleasantness you got when you made the 98 movie.'
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:01 am

I think it's largely because this movie may have kinda been the last straw for a lot of fans.

I know it was for me.

As the spin-offs seem to be devolving MORE into the kind of nostalgic wankery that I hated about the prequels, where we're supposed to care because we saw those people actually doing things in other movies and here they're just...there, the episodes were kinda what I was pinning all my excitement of Star Wars on.

I felt TLJ wasn't #subversive in any of the ways that really mattered or that would have made it exciting, and at 2.5 hours, it felt like a SLOG the one and only time I watched it in theaters. It kinda numbed my interest in even seeing this 'trilogy' pan out and I'm just kinda "done" with Star Wars.

Obviously I'll see episode 9, but I'm "looking forward" to it in the same way I was to Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, a movie I still haven't had the gumption to see.

I think a lot of people are processing that feeling through rage at having the franchise kinda "die" for them in a way.

I'm just focusing instead of things I actually LIKE, because there's plenty out there.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 pm

klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:50 pm

^Also: baked in King Arthur parallels.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:41 pm

canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:49 pm

^ I was just thinking of the island where Luke sequesters himself being a parallel to Avalon. A more edumacated man might even whip up a comparison between Mordred and Kylo Ren!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Mark Hamill Hates Star Wars The Last Jedi

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:33 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Rian Johnson Explains Why The Last Jedi Had to Go Beyond Lucas' Ideas
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Rian Johnson’s Star Wars Trilogy

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:58 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Rian Johnson Trilogy Canceled? | Wonder Woman '84 TRASH? | Timmy Fell Down A Well?

Rumor: Rian Johnson Out at Lucasfilm and Star Wars

Breaking Scoop! Inside sources say Rian Johnson out at Lucasfilm!
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Knives Out will make you wish Rian Johnson wasn’t wasting himself on Star Wars.

Star Wars’ 2022 Movie Reportedly Has A Director Lined Up (Not Rian Johnson)
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:12 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Is Rian Johnson’s Star Wars Trilogy Dead?

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:48 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television