Star Wars: ROGUE ONE December 16, 2016

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Star Wars: ROGUE ONE December 16, 2016

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:52 am

'Rogue One': The Key Scenes Added During Reshoots Revealed
The now-near-mythical reshoots for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story weren't just about changing the end of the movie.

/film:
The First Draft of ‘Rogue One’ Had An Opening Crawl
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Star Wars Bits: Mark Hamill Defends Jake Lloyd, New Interviews, and a Possible ‘Rogue One’ Blu-ray Release Date
The official release date for the Rogue One Blu-ray and DVD has yet to be revealed, but a March 28, 2017 arrival is starting to look likely.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:50 pm

They pushed it back a week...April 4th is now Confirmed
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Re: Star Wars: ROGUE ONE DVD extras

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:59 am

BMD Extra, Extra: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY
You've all seen the movie and will be buying this anyway, but are the extras worth your time?
BRIAN COLLINS wrote:As sales of physical discs (Blu-ray and DVD) decline, the idea of bonus features becomes less and less essential for new, mainstream films. There will always be a market for library titles with extensive retrospective commentaries and documentaries (see: Criterion, Scream Factory, etc), but for new films it's a dying trend. "Extra, Extra" is an attempt to encourage the studios not to give up on us disc champions, by mostly skipping over the film itself (which you can find reviews for anywhere) and focusing on the bonus features they were kind enough to include. Viva la physical media!

After a torturous wait of three months and change, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is finally on Blu-ray, so you can relive the nostalgic memories of fifteen weeks ago without shelling out theater ticket prices.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am

phpBB [media]

John Knoll "Tinkering" With a New 'Star Wars' Story Idea
Carolyn Giardina wrote:Industrial Light & Magic’s John Knoll, who served as visual effects supervisor on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, also conceived the film's original story — and now he's at it again, telling The Hollywood Reporter that he’s “tinkering” with another Star Wars-related idea.

“I have another idea I’ve been tinkering with,” he said after participating on a Rogue One Super Session during the National Association of Broadcasters Show. “It’s maybe 75 percent there. I haven’t pitched it to [Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy]. It’s another Star Wars thing.”

Upcoming Star Wars films already in the works include Star Wars: The Last Jedi, opening in December; a Han Solo movie in 2018; Star Wars: Episode IX in 2019; and an untitled anthology film planned for 2020. “There’s no reason to think Disney is going to stop wanting to make Star Wars movies if there’s quality and there’s interest,” Knoll reasoned. “It has unlimited potential. It has a huge number of characters, worlds … It’s a massive playground.”

At NAB, Knoll presented a look back at the work on last year's Rogue One before a packed auditorium of wildly enthusiastic fans, alongside ILM animation supervisor Hal Hickel, who described the making of the digital version of Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin of the 1977-Star Wars era; and Matthew Wood, supervising sound editor and sound design at Skywalker Sound, who discussed critical sounds include those of environments and weapons. The session was presented by Motion Picture Sound Editors and NAB (THR’s Carolyn Giardina moderated).

On the subject of creating a digital human, Knoll said,“It’s definitely an issue if the actor has passed away without stating any intention or desire about how his or her likeness should be dealt with. Then it falls to their estate. That’s a problem that will start solving itself. Now the technology exists and actors are aware of this and can make their wishes known. For instance. Robin Williams included this in his will.”

Knoll also pointed out that the uses can vary — for instance a likeness to pitch a product in a commercial is different compared with the appearance of the character Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One. “He was an important character to tell the story. There wasn’t a good way to tell the political intrigue without including Tarkin. We also knew Cushing. He was a friend to Lucasfilm and was proud of his involvement with Star Wars.”

With extensive use of behind-the-scene clips, Knoll discussed topics including virtual production and the use of LED panels as a lighting instrument. Of the latter, he said. “You can prepare the images in advance and then light the characters. I think it’s going to be an important part of the toolset.”
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Tony Gilroy's 'Rogue One'

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:27 am

THR APRIL 05, 2018:
Tony Gilroy on 'Rogue One' Reshoots: They Were in "Terrible Trouble"
Aaron Couch wrote:Tony Gilroy is getting candid for the first time about his emergency trip to the Star Wars galaxy.

In June 2016, Lucasfilm hired the Oscar-nominated writer to rework Rogue One: A Star Wars Story after the studio was unsatisfied by the state of director Gareth Edwards' movie. By August, he was taking a leading role in postproduction and oversaw reshoots to fix a few issues, including the film's ending. Gilroy ultimately was paid millions for his work, and many consider him the film's ghost director.

Gilroy had not spoken publicly about Rogue One until Monday's appearance on The Moment With Brian Koppelman podcast, where he noted that he immediately saw ways to improve the movie when he came on the scene in London.

"If you look at Rogue, all the difficulty with Rogue, all the confusion of it … and all the mess, and in the end when you get in there, it's actually very, very simple to solve," Gilroy said of the film. "Because you sort of go, 'This is a movie where, folks, just look. Everyone is going to die.' So it's a movie about sacrifice."

He saw the opportunity to explore why the film's characters — played by stars Felicity Jones, Diego Luna and Donnie Yen — would ultimately sacrifice themselves at the end of the film in order to allow the Rebels to gain the plans to the Death Star.

Choosing his words carefully, Gilroy signaled how much of the project was changed after he boarded. (Star Ben Mendelsohn has said "an enormously different" version of the film exists.)

"I came in after the director's cut. I have a screenplay credit in the arbitration that was easily won," said Gilroy.

Unlike lifelong fans like Star Wars: The Last Jedi's Rian Johnson, Gilroy was not a fan of the franchise before boarding and therefore had no trepidation about potentially messing it up.

"I've never been interested in Star Wars, ever. So I had no reverence for it whatsoever. I was unafraid about that," said Gilroy. "And they were in such a swamp … they were in so much terrible, terrible trouble that all you could do was improve their position."

Rogue One debuted to strong reviews (85 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) and earned more than $1 billion at the global box office, but Gilroy doesn't have plans to return to a galaxy far, far away.

"It doesn't appeal to me," he said of making another Star Wars film. "But I don't think Rogue really is a Star Wars movie in many ways. To me, it's a Battle of Britain movie."

Listen to the full podcast of The Moment With Brian Koppelman here. His remarks on Rogue One begin just before the 46:00 mark.

COLLIDER DECEMBER 28, 2016:
Ben Mendelsohn on Shooting “Enormously Different” Versions of ‘Rogue One’
Last edited by mr.negativity on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:30 pm

i would really love to see the Edward's cut
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Me too. Rogue One is easily my favorite of the new movies, and actually ranked third just behind SW and ESB in terms of my personal enjoyment. While I absolutely love the final film, I'm intensely curious about the troubled production history and what really happened behind the scenes. Plus there's a whole lot of evidence of TONS of unused footage.

Disney, if you're listening, I would gladly pay through the nose for an ultimate edition of Rogue One that included Edward's original cut (or whatever they could do to give us an alternate version that most closely resembles this "disastrous" earlier draft), plus an in depth documentary about the whole process, plus ALL the deleted scenes/unused footage they can gather up. Please!
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm

I would basically classify Rogue One as an interesting failure. It has some real strengths, but on the whole feels like a collection of compromises among people who couldn't decide exactly what movie they wanted to make. And I would definitely pay to see Edwards' version, just to get a clearer sense of how we got to the movie we ended up with.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Rogue One is probably tied for second on my Star Wars fan list.
1. Empire Strikes Back
2a. Rogue One
2b. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4.Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace
7. The Last Jedi
8. The Force Awakens
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Woah man, I was with you until you put the prequels above anything...

For me it's

1. Star Wars (Tie)
1. The Empire Strikes Back (Tie)
3. Rogue One
4. The Force Awakens
5. Return of the Jedi

Outlier - The Last Jedi (still trying to decide where I rank this. I liked it a whole lot more on my third viewing when I got the bluray, but I'm still unsure just where it falls compared to the others. Somewhere in spots 4-6 for sure but that's as narrow as I can get it for now)

As for the prequels, im happier just ignoring their existence. If you twisted my arm and forced me to put them on the list, I'd compromise and put the Auralnauts' versions* at the bottom.

*if you haven't seen the Auralnauts editions of the prequels, do yourself a favor and head over to YouTube. Each film is edited down to about 30 minutes and totally re-dubbed. They are HILARIOUS. They've done the original trilogy too but I haven't taken the time to watch those yet.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:19 pm

Eh, as long as we're doing this...

1.) Empire
2.) A New Hope
3.) Return of the Jedi/The Last Jedi
5.) Revenge of the Sith/The Force Awakens
7.) Rogue One
8.) Attack of the Clones
9.) The Phantom Menace
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:10 pm

THR NOVEMBER 08, 2018:
'Star Wars': Diego Luna to Star in 'Rogue One' Prequel Series
Aaron Couch & Natalie Jarvey wrote:Disney is continuing to expand its Star Wars galaxy.

Disney is developing a live-action scripted series with Diego Luna, star of 2016's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. It will go into production next year for Disney's streaming service, called Disney Plus. The series will follow rebel spy Cassian Andor during the early days of the Rebellion and ahead of the events of Rogue One.

"Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me,” Luna said of the Rogue One prequel. “I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.”

After spending several months without an official name, the family friendly streaming service has finally been named Disney Plus. That’s consistent with the company’s branding for its ESPN streaming service, which is simply ESPN Plus.

The company will hold an event in April to reveal more information about the forthcoming service, Disney CEO Iger said Thursday during the company's earnings call with reporters. He said that he recently traveled to the offices of BAMtech, the developer of the app, and described what he saw as having “elegant navigation” and the ability to personalize content, which will include both new projects like the Rogue One prequel as well as library fare.

This is the second Star Wars series Disney has announced for its direct-to-consumer platform and joins The Mandalorian from showrunner Jon Favreau. The reveal of the Rogue One prequel arrives months after Iger revealed in February that multiple Star Wars live-action series were in the works for the DTC platform.

Disney Plus is designed to be the Mouse House's Netflix rival. The service, which is planned for a launch sometime in 2019, will be home to original and library content from Lucasfilm (Star Wars), Marvel and Pixar. Disney Plus has been ramping up its original Marvel scripted series and plans to bring several familiar faces from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to the new platform with shows of their own. Meanwhile, Disney has begun trimming its Marvel fare on Netflix, axing dramas Iron Fist and Luke Cage as the clock ticks down to zero on just how long the feature film library content will remain on the streaming giant.

VARIETY NOVEMBER 8, 2018:‘Star Wars’: Diego Luna to Lead Spinoff Series
Brent Lang wrote:The show will unfold in the early years of the Rebellion and is described as a “rousing spy thriller.” A release date for the series has not yet been announced, but production will begin in 2019.

/film Tuesday, March 19th, 2019:
How ‘Rogue One’ Changed From Its Original Script, According to Screenwriter Chris Weitz
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Tony Gilroy's 'Rogue One'

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 am

Vulture, DEC. 9, 2016:
Rogue One Director Gareth Edwards on Diversity, Reshoots, and That Star Wars X-Factor
Kyle Buchanan wrote:A lot has been written about the reshoots that were done on this film, and it’s rumored that Tony Gilroy came in and shot some of the new material himself. What really happened?

Tony is a great writer and he had done a few days’ work on Godzilla. We had always planned to do these pickup shoots, and in this day and age when everything has gone digital, you don’t have to be so literal about preproduction, production, and postproduction — the whole thing blurs together. When we did the pickup shoots, Tony came in to write the screenplay for those scenes, and because we shot it documentary-style and had so much material, essentially, we ended up being a bit crunched for time. So we all dove in and did different things: Tony did some second-unit on the pickup shoot and so did I, and we went from 600 visual effects to 1,600 visual effects. The scope of the movie just got bigger, and so there was this divide-and-conquer mentality that went on. I think the results are really good and that’s all that matters, is the movie.

THR, OCTOBER 15, 2019:
'Rogue One' Writer Tony Gilroy Joining Disney+ 'Star Wars' Prequel
Aaron Couch wrote:The filmmaker, who stepped in to oversee reshoots on the 2016 film, will write the pilot script and direct episodes of the Diego Luna-led series.

Gilroy joined the Star Wars galaxy in June 2016, when Lucasfilm hired him to lend a hand on Rogue One. By August, he was directing reshoots and taking a leading role in post production, work that ultimately earned him millions in pay and a screenwriting credit. Gareth Edwards remained the credited director on Rogue One, but many consider Gilroy the film's ghost director. In April 2018, Gilroy gave a candid, revealing interview about his Rogue One experiences on The Moment With Brian Koppelman podcast, noting when he came aboard the film was so troubled that "all you could do was improve their position."
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 am

klen7 wrote:i would really love to see the Edward's cut
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television