Star Wars: ROGUE ONE December 16, 2016

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Star Wars: ROGUE ONE December 16, 2016

Postby Gwangi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:26 am

Apparently, there is going to be some "Monsters" and "Godzilla 2014" Easter Eggs in "Rogue One".

With Rogue One: A Star Wars Story finally hitting theaters in just a few weeks, director Gareth Edwards stopped by The Star Wars Show today to discuss his Star Wars spin-off. Much to the surprise of many fans, the filmmaker revealed an Easter Egg that ties into his first two films, the 2010 low-budget feature Monsters and the 2014 blockbuster Godzilla. Here's what the filmmaker had to say about these Easter Eggs, which appear during a scene in Saw Gerrera's (Forest Whitaker) cave.

"In Saw's cave, there are some cave paintings. One of them is of the creatures that were in my first film, Monsters. Then there's some MUTOs from Godzilla. I didn't ask for it. They did it as a joke. I just came in one day and spotted it during the middle of a take."

http://movieweb.com/rogue-one-easter-egg-godzilla-star-wars-connection/
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:41 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:20 am

Los Angeles Times:
'Making "Star Wars" is a team sport': 'Rogue One' director Gareth Edwards on reshoots, inspiration and trepidation
Josh Rottenberg wrote:Unshaven and slightly rumpled, with a laid-back demeanor and dry sense of humor, Gareth Edwards doesn’t instantly strike you as the type of person who would command an army, cinematic or otherwise. But if “Star Wars” has taught us anything, it’s that warriors come from unexpected places.

Growing up in England, the 41-year-old Edwards was inspired to become a filmmaker by his deep passion for George Lucas’ beloved space opera. Now, as the director of “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” — the first in a series of planned standalone spin-off films set in the galaxy far, far away, distinct from the ongoing episodic saga — he finds himself a key player in the creative expansion of the franchise.

Set shortly before the events of 1977’s “A New Hope,” “Rogue One,” which hits theaters Dec. 16, chronicles the mission of a ragtag group of rebels to steal the plans to the Empire’s planet-destroying Death Star. Featuring a diverse ensemble cast including Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Forest Whitaker and Donnie Yen, the film is the closest thing to a full-on war movie ever seen in the “Star Wars” series, blending the familiar spectacle of interstellar dogfights, droids and laser battles with a gritty cinema verite style, a visceral kind of violence and a degree of moral murkiness new to the franchise.

Getting the film to the finish line was something of a battle in itself. Over the summer, reports emerged that “Rogue One” was undergoing extensive reshoots, with screenwriter Tony Gilroy — who shares final screenwriting credit on the film with Chris Weitz — reportedly being brought in to help iron out issues with the story, including the film’s ending. While reshoots are standard practice on big-budget films, “Star Wars” fans, ever sensitive to the slightest tremors in the Force, aired their worries en masse online.

Collider:
Gareth Edwards on George Lucas’ Reaction to ‘Rogue One’: “I Can Die Happy Now”
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:42 pm

‘Rogue One': Listen to Samples from Michael Giacchino’s First ‘Star Wars’ Score
The Oscar-winning composer only had four and a half weeks to write the score.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Ultraseven » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:29 pm

mr.negativity wrote:‘Rogue One': Listen to Samples from Michael Giacchino’s First ‘Star Wars’ Score
The Oscar-winning composer only had four and a half weeks to write the score.

Already saw the movie. The lack of time for a more refined score is very noticeable. Aside of that,
Spoiler Below:
Rogue One still is a war movie (thankfully).
Ultraseven
Godzilla

Postby Dai » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:59 pm

I was concerned by the talk of extensive re-shoots for this movie, but thankfully it hasn't been turned into a fashionable witty banter action adventure; Rogue One is almost 100% the war movie we were told to expect. It doesn't get off to a good start, with an opening scene packed with tired tropes, but once the pace starts to pick up it just gets better and better. The cast turn in generally strong performances, though the main villain is a disappointment, being a bit hammy in his delivery and not terribly interesting. The characters aren't a loveable bunch like Episode VII's, but they aren't meant to be; they have an edge, but it's not edginess for its own sake. Humour is--appropriately for this story--thin on the ground, but there are a few good laughs to be had. On the whole I thought it was great, and a good change of pace after last year's excellent (but overly conservative) entry. Gareth Edwards is proving to be a consistently reliable director on most fronts.

I'm glad that Disney didn't de-claw it in the editing suite, but it's clear that significant changes were made. I can't remember any movie diverging so far from its trailers, even Godzilla 2014, which did so quite a bit. Almost none of the dialogue from the first two trailers (the only ones I watched) is in the movie, several of the most iconic shots are missing, Jyn is generally less snarky, and certain scenes play out differently. If you're the type who goes through a first viewing mentally ticking off shots from the trailer, this may prove an odd experience, almost like an alternate universe take on the same story.

MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW
Spoiler Below:
For a story of this type, you don't expect anyone to make it out alive, but I'm amazed that they had the guts to follow through on that in a Disney Star Wars movie. It gives me hope for us seeing a good variety of tones and story types in future spin-offs.

Vader was deployed very effectively, I thought. His scene at the end went down especially well with the audience at the cinema I attended. The CG cameos were a mixed bag though. CG Tarkin was well done visually, though the voice actor played up Cushing's vocal quirks a bit too much. CG Leia just didn't work; fortunately it was there and gone in a few seconds.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:47 pm

The sequels to the prequels that is a prequel to the originals is here at long last. Is this first stand alone story worth the wait or did Jar Jar Binks sink his tongue into this one Watch to find out.

phpBB [media]
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:00 pm

SPOILERS

BMD:
ROGUE ONE Trailer Moments That Didn’t Make It Into The Film
And why their absence doesn't really matter.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:27 am

Spoiler Below:
so this movie is pure kill them all eh and dose all the killing?
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:42 am

Henry88 wrote:
Spoiler Below:
so this movie is pure kill them all eh and dose all the killing?

Hell yeah!!!

Spoiler Below:
I was totally expecting some last minute rescue, but nope, they kept it real.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:18 am

Spoilers?
Spoiler Below:
Is that Snoke?

Spoilers!
Spoiler Below:
'Rogue One': How Visual Effects Made the Return of Some Iconic 'Star Wars' Characters Possible

Box Office Spoilers!
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote:6TH UPDATE, 9:54PM: Disney’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is higher than everyone imagined with a Friday that’s grown to $72M, putting the film on course for an opening that’s close to $156M for the three-day weekend at 4,157 theaters.

Like Force Awakens, Rogue One earns an A CinemaScore, and Disney can take that to the bank because the halo of that grade will take this prequel to higher echelons at the holiday B.O.

Should Rogue One stay the course toward its current opening, it will become the 12th highest opening of all-time, the sixth Disney release to open north of $150M and as we’ve always expected — the second best ever for the month of December after Force Awakens all-time record of $247.96M. There’s a chance that Rogue One could fall toward the mid $140Ms, and that wouldn’t be the end of the world. As we mentioned, there’s less kids off school on Monday than a year go and that could impact Sunday’s business.

Director Gareth Edwards has even more bragging rights tonight: Rogue One‘s ‘A’ beats the A-s earned by all the George Lucas prequels (2005’s Revenge of the Sith has the highest FSS at $108M). Currently, Rogue One is playing -37% behind Force Awakens, a trend that started the day at -46% with Disney seeing steady growth through the hours. Rogue One earned straight As throughout all demos with males repping 66% of all ticketbuyers today with 60% over 25. That audience makeup isn’t that far from Force Awakens which hooked 64% guys, 67% over 25. Episode VII also drew A+s in certain pockets (i.e. females, under 25, under 18 and 35-49).
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:25 am

While watching Rogue One, I thought it was neat that they gave a reason for why the Death Star had a fatal design flaw, but really that was never a plot hole in Episode IV. Anyone who has worked in the public sector knows the surprising thing about the Death Star isn't that it had a design flaw, it's that it didn't fall apart and blow up the first time they tried to move it.

mr.negativity wrote:Spoilers?
Spoiler Below:
Is that Snoke?

Spoiler Below:
No, it's Vader chilling in a bad guy version of a bacta tank. Rogue One has a laser focus on being a lead-in to Episode IV. I don't recall there being anything related to the other movies, and certainly not the new trilogy.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:02 am

Dai wrote:While watching Rogue One, I thought it was neat that they gave a reason for why the Death Star had a fatal design flaw, but really that was never a plot hole in Episode IV. Anyone who has worked in the public sector knows the surprising thing about the Death Star isn't that it had a design flaw, it's that it didn't fall apart and blow up the first time they tried to move it.

mr.negativity wrote:Spoilers?
Spoiler Below:
Is that Snoke?

Spoiler Below:
No, it's Vader chilling in a bad guy version of a bacta tank. Rogue One has a laser focus on being a lead-in to Episode IV. I don't recall there being anything related to the other movies, and certainly not the new trilogy.

Spoiler Below:
I was talking about Vader's butler. The guy in the Sith hoodie.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Overall, I really liked it, but I thought there were a touch too many fan-service moments.
Spoiler Below:
The Vader and Tarkin scenes won me over, but I was starting to groan when they started with the Red/Gold Leader appearances, and I really could have done without the Leia cameo in the final shot.
However, when this movie is doing its own thing, creating original moments with new characters in the familiar Star Wars univers, it's damn good.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:50 pm

I really liked it. The story was quite good and does an excellent job fleshing out the original film's opening crawl. I feel like the opening scenes of ANH will have so much more weight the next time I see them. It's not perfect though. I think this film suffers the same major flaw that all Gareth Edwards films I've seen suffer from: bland, unlikeable, joyless main characters. But the rest of the film makes up for that huge problem enough so that I came out of the theater quite happy and eager to see it again asap!

Random thoughts:
Spoiler Below:
While I really liked the role Tarkin and Leia each played, they both were very much in the uncanny valley and quite strange.

LOVED the locations. They were awesome. Loved the mythology that the holy city, monks, etc. added to the Jedi mythos.

Loved FINALLY seeing Vader's castle. I've wanted to see that since I first saw the concept art they developed for it back in the early stages of making THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

And of course Vader's fight with the rebels was absolutely everything it should've been!

Lots more to say, but I think that's a good start

Ultimately, the more I think about it, the more I love what this film does and how it does it. The one thing really holding it back from reaching its full potential is Edward's continuing inability to create engaging characters that illicit any real emotional reaction or investment from the audience.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Okay seeing it for the second time fixed nearly every issue I had with the first half hour of the movie. My only complaint now is in its music, which still wasn't bad, it's just that the dude who did it tried to copy John Williams instead of doing his own thing. Why not just get John Williams to score the movie instead of a copycat? Nevertheless, this definitely is the second best Star Wars movie ever. This is what Lucas should have done with Return of the Jedi as far as tone goes.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:35 pm

canofhumdingers wrote:Ultimately, the more I think about it, the more I love what this film does and how it does it. The one thing really holding it back from reaching its full potential is Edward's continuing inability to create engaging characters that illicit any real emotional reaction or investment from the audience.

I'm going to disagree there. Jinn, K2, and Donnie Yen's character (I can't pronounce his name for crap let alone spell it) were all engaing. I mean we had great moments like,

Spoiler Below:
Really? I'M BLIND!

You did know that wasn't mean when you shot him, right?

That wouldn't be so bad. <drops the bag>

And pretty much everything else K2 and Yen's characters did.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:47 pm

I agree that K2SO and Chirrut Imwe were probably the two best characters in the movie, but that doesn't speak too highly of the quality of the characters in the film, IMO. Because, while those two were the best, they still were only decent. They didn't achieve the engaging likability of someone like Rey, Finn, or Poe from The Force Awakens. I will concede that this film has the best characters I've seen from an Edwards film, and he's gotten a little better with each one (the characters in Monsters SUCKED, in Godzilla they were either terribly bland, or incredibly poorly utilized, and here they were just generally kinda bland) but he still has a long way to go still to actually making truly GOOD characters.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:58 am

Loved the film. Really well done.
Spoiler Below:
I would not call these nitpicks, more of my "own" preferences...

1. I knew we were not getting an opening crawl, but having the classic SW opening card and theme would have been nice
2. Before Chirrut Îmwe died, it would have been neat to see him flip the master switch using the force. Obviously he had no Jedi Training, but it would have shown his potential just before he died

There were quite a few nice callbacks to other films I caught, but I'm sure I missed some. I'll probably see this one again in the theater before it's Blu Ray Release. One thing I will say, after seeing this...it would have been the perfect realization of an EU novel. It still just saddens/frustrates me that because of Disney, we'll never get a film of this caliber for much of what they have removed from canon and deemed "Legends"

Also the reference, while not shown, of the Death Star traveling through hyperspace to me raised an eyebrow. In the original film we see it only cruising at sub light speed. I mean I know to travel between planetary systems within a reasonable time frame I'm sure it had to have some sort of propulsion, but since we had never seen it, I guess I just never thought about it. I mean yes I know Star Wars is fantasy, not physics, but how do you even explain something like that :?:
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:30 am

Star Wars fanfiction can burn in Hell for all I care. The only thing that matters is the canon Disney themselves makes (aside from the 6 previously done movies).

canofhumdingers wrote:I agree that K2SO and Chirrut Imwe were probably the two best characters in the movie, but that doesn't speak too highly of the quality of the characters in the film, IMO. Because, while those two were the best, they still were only decent. They didn't achieve the engaging likability of someone like Rey, Finn, or Poe from The Force Awakens. I will concede that this film has the best characters I've seen from an Edwards film, and he's gotten a little better with each one (the characters in Monsters SUCKED, in Godzilla they were either terribly bland, or incredibly poorly utilized, and here they were just generally kinda bland) but he still has a long way to go still to actually making truly GOOD characters.

I'm going to have to disagree with you because K2 is hands down the best droid in the entire Star Wars universe. And the entire audience in BOTH showings of the movies were fully engaged with K2.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:47 am

Dr Kain wrote:K2 is hands down the best droid in the entire Star Wars universe.

canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:35 pm

canofhumdingers wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:K2 is hands down the best droid in the entire Star Wars universe.

I like R2, but R2's dialog is just beeps and stuff while K2 could actually speak. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Chopper was the one to reprogram him, which makes me want to see an episode or Rebels with K2 and Chopper.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:49 pm

And yet, with only beeps and whistles (or maybe because of them), R2 is a more rounded, complete, emotive, and engaging character than K2. Don't get me wrong, I liked K2 a whole lot. But he's kinda a one trick pony and doesn't hold a candle to the awesome, far more fleshed out character of R2...

I'm really looking forward to hopefully seeing this again sometime over the next 2 or 3 days. I think Chirrut and Baze will probably emerge as the standout characters for me. Their role as protective force sensitive monks and the implications that has on the force, the Jedi, and all that is really intriguing. And the film's finale is worth the price of admission alone!
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:46 pm

canofhumdingers wrote:And yet, with only beeps and whistles (or maybe because of them), R2 is a more rounded, complete, emotive, and engaging character than K2. Don't get me wrong, I liked K2 a whole lot. But he's kinda a one trick pony and doesn't hold a candle to the awesome, far more fleshed out character of R2...

Well that is going to happen when you have a character that has been in 8 movies and a few TV series compared to a character that has only been in 1.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:45 pm

Eh, I'd say that based soley on his appearance in ANH, but yes, his other appearances certainly help secure it.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television