Universal Monsters thread?

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Universal Monsters thread?

Postby The Shadow » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:39 pm

Baltan II wrote:
The Shadow wrote:Before everything collapsed I recall there was development for a Bride of Frankenstein without Frankenstein's monster and at least the beginning development for an Invisible Woman movie. Making the Mummy the Princess this time around worked out well enough, I'm not sure it would have worked for all the monsters. I was most skeptical of doing a movie about Frankenstein's Bride without Frankenstein's monster first. An Invisible Woman movie probably would have worked fine though.

Where did you get the idea that Bride wouldn’t have Frankenstein’s monster when Javier Bardem was notably and quite visibly cast as the Monster at the start of the Dark Universe?

I could be remembering wrong, I thought I recalled reading early comments from the attached director about leaving Frankenstein's Monster out of the movie entirely. At the very least in the early talk it seemed the folks making the movie wanted to downplay the Monster's presence in the story. I didn't really keep up with all the news so I don't know what changes may have happened in development (partly so I have at least a few surprises when I eventually watch a movie nowadays).
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Coming Soon, OCTOBER 28, 2019:
Exclusive: Paul Feig Talks Universal Monsters for Dark Army!
MAX EVRY wrote:ComingSoon.net: This being the Halloween season, can you tell us what growing up with the Universal Monsters meant to you and how that might dovetail into “Dark Army”?

Paul Feig:
I’m a mega-fan of those old horror movies. I call them more monster movies than horror movies, quite frankly. Horror movies to me now represent slasher and that kind of thing, which I don’t enjoy at all. I loved those old movies like “Frankenstein.” “Bride of Frankenstein” is probably one of the greatest movies of all-time. I love that movie so much, and there are some things from that movie that I’m using in this new movie “Dark Army.” But I really want to do a James Whale-ish, modern day version of a monster movie that is about these characters. What I love about monsters is they’re outsiders, it’s just the most extreme version of outsiders. Frankenstein is one of the most sympathetic characters ever to be put on the screen, even though he does terrible things. He’s just looking for acceptance and love. If you read Mary Shelley’s book he’s a pure spirit who becomes evil because he just gets "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" on constantly. Everybody just can’t get past the way he looks, and it turns him murderous. (laughs) That’s the extreme version of that kind of thing, but I love that feel. I want to bring that ookie spookie feel back to movies, but with these monsters you root for and understand at the same time. I finished the first draft of the script and I’m so excited about it! I’m literally on fire about getting this movie made as soon as I can. I turned it into the Dark Universe people last week and they loved it. Now it’s going over to the heads of Universal, so we’ll see.

CS: You mentioned James Whale as inspiration. Does that mean there will be that layer of camp and satire to it?

Feig:
You know, I want that level of humor in there. He took it seriously, but he’s still going, “We’re gonna have fun with this.” There’s side characters that are fun. There’s stuff that’s a little over-the-top but in a real way, like you buy it? You buy those characters even though they’re way over-the-top. I never go, “Oh, they’re just all going look at how crazy we are, let’s make these ridiculous.” No. These are just extreme personalities. I’m so excited to do this! I just hope they let me do it.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:24 pm

DVR’d TCM’s airing of Bride of Frankenstein last night and watched it this evening. Even with TCM’s month long Friday night airing of Godzilla movies, I’m kinda surprised that once again this year, we didn’t get a some sort of Halloween marathon of the Universal Monster movies. Seemed like that was a normal thing awhile ago.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:29 pm

^ Sometimes they show a lot of Universals, but generally I feel that on Halloween TCM tends to lean into the movies that they own outright via the Warner library: Val Lewton stuff, The Haunting, House of Wax, the few Hammers they own... then add to that their 'Monster of the Month' which have been largely movies from other studios.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:29 pm

^Yeah. The big Universal marathons we've seen in the past (probably most notably on AMC in 2000) were because the stations doing the marathons had some sort of licensing arrangement with Universal that TCM likely does not. TCM of course licenses films from Universal but that studio's films usually make up a small percentage of what's shown every month. That's also why so little of Paramount's and Fox's output is seen on TCM, despite those being two of the biggest classic Hollywood studios.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Re: ‘The Invisible Man’

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:12 pm

phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Outkaster » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:56 pm

That's intense
Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm

This is the director of Upgrade, one of the best hidden gems of the last few years. Very hopeful for this.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Oh wow! Give me more Universal Monsters in this vein!!
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Blumhouse the only ones smart enough to see the simplest idea of 'just make horror movies with these characters' is the best.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: “Renfield”

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:51 am

VARIETY, NOVEMBER 20, 2019:
Dexter Fletcher to Direct a Movie About Dracula’s Henchman for Universal (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll wrote:“Rocketman” director Dexter Fletcher is attached to direct Universal’s “Renfield,” a monster movie centered on Dracula’s henchman and based on an original pitch from Robert Kirkman.

“Rick and Morty” scribe Ryan Ridley penned the script. The film will be produced by Skybound Entertainment’s film team, including Kirkman, David Alpert, Bryan Furst and Sean Furst.

In the original “Dracula” novel, R.M. Renfield was an inmate at a lunatic asylum who was thought to be suffering from delusions, but is actually a servant of Dracula. Plot details are currently unknown, though it’s believed to take place during the present day and is not a period piece.

Universal had originally planned on creating an interconnected universe with its vast catalog of monster IP. However, the studio reassessed, and decided to move forward with filmmaker-driven projects based on the monsters’ legacies, focusing on what made the characters endure over time. Instead of prescribing a mandate that the films be part of a larger scheme, Universal loosened those restrictions and open-sourced to filmmakers to create their own unique stories.

That strategy is on display in Blumhouse and Leigh Whannell’s “The Invisible Man,” which debuts in 2020 and dropped its first trailer this month. Besides this and “Invisible Man,” Paul Feig is also currently developing a secret monster movie.

The film will mark Fletcher’s first genre film following two musical biopics, starting with “Bohemian Rhapsody,” on which he was brought on after Bryan Singer was fired midway through the shoot. He followed that up with the Elton John pic “Rocketman,” which is in the awards conversation this year and grossed $96 million domestically.

Best known as the creator of “The Walking Dead” comics, Kirkman has been sought out on the producing front for more horror IP that includes a reboot for “An American Werewolf in London.”

Fletcher is repped by CAA and Sloane, Offer, Weber and Dern. Kirkman is represented by CAA, Circle of Confusion and Katz Golden Rosenman, and Ridley is repped by 3 Arts Entertainment and Ziffren Brittenham.

COLLIDER:
Director Dexter Fletcher on the Response to ‘Rocketman’ and Plans for ‘Sherlock Holmes 3’
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: ‘The Invisible Man 2’

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:41 pm

THR, NOVEMBER 26, 2019:
Elizabeth Banks to Star In, Direct Universal Horror Movie 'Invisible Woman'
Borys Kit wrote:Elizabeth Banks will give form to Invisible Woman.

Banks is developing an original take based on the classic Universal title and is attached to star in and direct the feature project.

Banks will also produce along husband Max Hendelman via the duo’s Brownstone Productions.

The 1940 original was centered on a department store model who becomes the test subject of an invisibility experiment. Upon becoming invisible, she gets back against her mean boss but unwittingly falls into caper involving gangsters.

The movie was in the screwball comedy mold and followed Universal’s Invisible Man and Invisible Man Returns, which were more horror thrillers in line with Universal’s now-classic horror titles.

Erin Cressida Wilson, who penned The Girl on the Train, wrote the current draft of the script.

Woman is the latest horror title to be redeveloped by Universal as it reconfigures what it does with its classic horror movie characters. The studio abandoned its ambitions of an interconnected cinematic universe to be called Dark Universe after the poor performance of Tom Cruise vehicle The Mummy and is now taking on a more individualized and filmmaker-driven approach.

The first of the new line will be Invisible Man, directed by Leigh Whannell and produced by horror banner Blumhouse. That movie open Feb 28, 2020. Also in development is Dracula-themed Renfield, with Dexter Fletcher (Rocketman) attached to direct, and Dark Army with Paul Feig attached to helm.

Banks made her directorial debut with Pitch Perfect 2 and is coming off of Sony’s reboot of Charlie’s Angels. She is repped by UTA, Untitled Entertainment and Ziffren Brittenham.

Wilson is repped by Art/Work Entertainment and Schreck Rose.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television