Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:38 pm

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES Begins Production!!
Thrust into an all-new adventure, a down-on-his-luck Captain Jack Sparrow finds the winds of ill-fortune blowing even more strongly when deadly ghost pirates led by his old nemesis, the terrifying Captain Salazar (Bardem), escape from the Devil's Triangle, determined to kill every pirate at sea...including him. Captain Jack's only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, a powerful artifact that bestows upon its possessor total control over the seas
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:29 pm

DIdn't we already kind of have ghost pirates in the first film?
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:35 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:DIdn't we already kind of have ghost pirates in the first film?

No they were just cursed, not dead.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:27 pm

XvGojira wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:DIdn't we already kind of have ghost pirates in the first film?

No they were just cursed, not dead.

I just don't feel like that's different enough to make it not feel very been-there done-that.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:09 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:38 pm

phpBB [media]
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:10 am

^
Image+Image=
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:01 am

Lou Salazar, Sewer Czar!

There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 am

phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Pirates of the Pancreas: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:11 am

Spoiler Below:
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:30 pm

/film March 29th, 2017:
Early Buzz: ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ is Surprisingly Good
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 am

SONY HACK 2017
Hackers Threaten to Leak Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Unless Disney Pays a Ransom
Jordan Crucchiola wrote:
Earlier today, reports came in that an unnamed, unreleased Disney movie had been stolen from the company by hackers. Company CEO Bob Iger informed ABC employees at a town-hall-style meeting that a movie had been taken, and that it was being held hostage in exchange for a large sum of bitcoin. Deadline is now reporting that the stolen property is the forthcoming Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, and that the company is working with the FBI in order to resolve the issue. Iger said that Disney has no plans to pay the ransom, despite the fact that the hackers have threatened to release the entire movie in five-minute-long increments unless the studio antes up with the bitcoin. Parallels are being drawn between this incident and a recent one in which hackers threatened to release the entire fifth season of Orange Is the New Black unless ransom demands where met. Netflix also refused to pay, and the hackers in that case did follow through on their promise, dumping all ten episodes of the upcoming fifth season on the Pirate Bay just last month.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun May 21, 2017 7:19 am

Den of Geek May 26, 2010:
Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer announce their latest project, Lightspeed
Ryan Lambie wrote:Now, according to Variety, Bruckheimer and Disney have purchased the screenplay for writers Terry Rossio and Bill Marsilii's space race adventure about "a young pilot who makes the Earth Interstellar Racing Team and must take his ship on a perilous journey across the galaxy on the brink of war".

The Weird Reason Johnny Depp Nixed a Female Villain for ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 5’
Ben Pearson wrote:But the more fascinating piece of info comes from writer Terry Rossio, who has a writing credit on every Pirates film thus far (including the new one). MoviePilot noticed a relevant section of a blog post from last year in which Rossio explains that Depp vetoed the idea of a Pirates 5 female villain. I’ll let the screenwriter explain why:
The original title of this column was planned to be World Creation Subject to Whim Destruction. Which I think is a pretty accurate summation of the job of screenwriting in general. […]

More recent examples: my television series “Magical Law” lapsed when Gore Verbinski decided to direct “The Lone Ranger” instead. Our theatrical feature “Lightspeed” was put on the back burner when Disney acquired the “Star Wars” franchise. My version of ‘Dead Men Tell No Tales’ was set aside because it featured a female villain, and Johnny Depp was worried that would be redundant to “Dark Shadows,” which also featured a female villain.

Of course there is also the possibility that all those screenplays simply sucked. But usually when I go back to read a screenplay that wasn’t produced, it holds up, often better than the film that was eventually produced. Sometimes it just takes a single decision by a single person, often just a whim, to destroy years of story creation and world-building.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sun May 21, 2017 9:34 am

The trailer for this played in front of Colossal this weekend. In the UK they've changed the title to the ultra-generic Salazar's Revenge. My reaction to the trailer was basically:

Trailer: "The final battle..."
Me: Oh, this is the last one? I didn't bother watching the fourth movie, but if this is finishing out the series, maybe I'll give it a--
Trailer: "...begins."
Me: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790809/rat ... _=tt_ov_rt

so far so good i hope it breaks the streak of bad luck for old Johnny.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:08 pm

Dai wrote:The trailer for this played in front of Colossal this weekend. In the UK they've changed the title to the ultra-generic Salazar's Revenge. My reaction to the trailer was basically:

Trailer: "The final battle..."
Me: Oh, this is the last one? I didn't bother watching the fourth movie, but if this is finishing out the series, maybe I'll give it a--
Trailer: "...begins."
Me: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

"The end..."
perks up
"... was only the beginning."
damn it
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:41 am

Henry88 wrote:so far so good i hope it breaks the streak of bad luck for old Johnny.

I couldn't possibly care whether that woman-beater has good or bad luck.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:52 am

^Yeah, it's hard to care about him after the dirty laundry aired of his personal and (less important in the grand scheme of things) professional failings. Coupled with years of bad performances? I'm honestly surprised we're getting another one of these movies!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Pirates 5 on Target for Massive $285M Worldwide Box Office Opening
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=potc5.htm
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat May 27, 2017 3:59 am

COLLIDER MAY 26, 2017:
‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ 2 and 3: In Defense of Gore Verbinski’s Gloriously Weird Sequels
ADAM CHITWOOD wrote:
When Disney released Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl in 2003, few thought the film would actually work. This was Orlando Bloom getting a shot at movie stardom after scene-stealing work as Legolas in Lord of the Rings by way of a pirate movie based on a theme park ride. Pirate movies, historically, had not fared well in quite some time, and the disaster of Cutthroat Island was still fresh in everyone’s minds. Plus, the film was anchored by actor Johnny Depp—far from a movie star at the time, known mainly for starring in smaller, critically acclaimed and/or cult films.

But a funny thing happened—Pirates of the Caribbean was actually good! More than good, the film was great. Audiences flocked to see this buzzworthy portrayal by Depp, were enraptured by the dazzling effects, and swooned for Bloom and Keira Knightley. The movie—which, again, was predicted to be a massive bomb before release—went on to gross over $650 million worldwide, launching a new banner franchise for Disney. But the main reason Curse of the Black Pearl was so great is precisely the reason why I think its next two sequels work (and, yes, are supremely underrated): director Gore Verbinski.

When Verbinski was hired to direct this massive Disney blockbuster, he only had a couple of films under his belt. His calling card, The Ring, wouldn’t hit theaters for another few months, and before that he had mainly worked into the comedy genre with The Mexican and MouseHunt. But what those three films showed was a perfect cocktail of ambition and talent that perfectly suited Verbinski for Pirates, and while he had never worked with such extensive visual effects or set pieces before, his hiring resulted in something almost magical.

So when Pirates of the Caribbean opened to big box office, critical acclaim, and a Best Actor Oscar nomination for Depp, Disney went all-in for the sequel, opting to shoot two sequels back-to-back. Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio got to work crafting a pair of narratively complex, wildly ambitious follow-ups, and Verbinski returned to get downright weird with it.

That’s the key—Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End are weird movies. They don’t follow the normal trajectory of a sequel. Instead of simply trying to recreate the fun of Curse of the Black Pearl with a new story, Elliott and Rossio wrote new chapters of the same story. They retroactively turn what were no doubt fun flourishes from the first movie into major plot points (like Jack’s compass or the legend of Boostrap Bill Turner). And somewhat miraculously, they work. Oftentimes when this sort of rejiggering is attempted, the “answers” to questions the first movie posed are underwhelming or dumb. But like a good novel, Elliott and Rossio’s answers raise even more questions, allowing the narrative to unwind and fold back in on itself over and over again, keeping the audience guessing as to where this is all headed.

As director, Verbinski had to keep all of this cohesive. Some audiences complained that the sequels were too complicated, too complex. But I’ll take a tightly knotted narrative over a simple, bland story any day—especially in a sequel. Moreover, the complexity of the narrative allows for various character arcs and tracks to play out over the course of both Dead Man’s Chest and At World’s End to fulfilling results. Elizabeth Swann goes from damsel in distress to Pirate King; Will goes from shy blacksmith to daring pirate hero; and Jack ever-so-slightly evolves from self-absorbed drunkard to slightly less self-absorbed drunkard.

Speaking of which, the character of Jack Sparrow is also handled tremendously well in the sequels. The best point of comparison is the abysmal fourth film in the franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which saw a different director at the helm, a smaller budget, and a new cast. That film paints Jack Sparrow as the protagonist, but what Verbinski understood was that Jack Sparrow is not a protagonist—he’s a supporting character. He’s wily and weird and charming, but he’s mostly unchanging and a little of Depp’s goofiness goes a long way. Dead Man’s Chest and At World’s End are populated with enough other characters to keep Jack at arm’s length, and the story arc of this trilogy is very much the tale of doomed lovers Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann.

And visually speaking, Verbinski never shied away from trying different things, stuff that you wouldn’t normally see in a franchise blockbuster. At World’s End, the third film in a multimillion-dollar blockbuster franchise from Disney, opens with mass hangings, including that of a small child. It serves to reinforce the idea that freedom is under siege from the East India Trading Company, and raise the stakes for the trilogy-capper, but it’s still an incredibly macabre way to begin a summer blockbuster.

Macabre notions permeate throughout this initial trilogy, with Verbinski reveling in the visual delights of deadly ghosts or hideous sea creatures, all of which dimensionalize the dangerous yet alluring atmosphere of Pirates of the Caribbean. These films feel strange, which in turn makes them unique. They’re never trying to be cutesy or rounding off the edges to appeal to a wider demographic. It’s precisely Verbinski’s willingness and desire to make these movies weird that makes them stand out from the pack. While Curse of the Black Pearl certainly delved into the supernatural, these follow-ups doubled-down on that aspect of the franchise, venturing to the literal afterlife to trippy results. And while some of the set pieces can go on for a little too long, they’re at least visually kind of crazy. The maelstrom sequence at the end of At World’s End is massively complex, with various different in-fights happening at the same time, but that’s not enough—Verbinski also throws a wedding between Will and Elizabeth into the mix. That’s weird! And I love it.

The uniqueness of Dead Man’s Chest and At World’s End is especially refreshing in an era where blockbuster sequels are regularly same-y to the point of being downright dull. Can anyone really tell the Transformers sequels apart aside from Shia LaBeouf being replaced by Mark Wahlberg? It’s just robots + destruction + pretty ladies + one-liners. Every. Single. Time. The Pirates sequels feel dangerous; ambitious to the point that no studio in their right mind would A-OK this.

Verbinski got away with something here, and while audiences didn’t immediately respond, these movies have aged incredibly well. Every studio is chasing its own interconnected universe—which is fine; Marvel certainly knows what it’s doing—but there’s something to be said for an epic, ambitious, and narratively complex trilogy made on a massive scale, directed by a man whose desire to make some seriously weird movies was miraculously undeterred. Dead Man’s Chest and At World’s End are lightning in a bottle, and that bottle has aged very, very well.

‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’: About That Post-Credits Scene
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Johnny Depp Gotta Eat!

Postby mr.negativity » Sat May 27, 2017 4:36 am

The Real Johnny Depp Showed Up as Jack Sparrow on Disneyland’s ‘Pirates’ Ride

Jerry Bruckheimer Says the ‘Pirates’ Franchise Won’t Go On Without Johnny Depp
“I just don’t see it. The secret to any successful franchise is picking talented people, and Johnny is absolutely key to the success of Pirates. He’s such a unique character, such an endearing character, and such an irreverent character all in one.”

Capone feels cursed and hornswaggled watching PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES!!!
Capone wrote:
At this point, I just assume Johnny Depp is really drunk on screen while playing the stumbling, mumbling Capt. Jack Sparrow. He’d have to be to endure inhabiting a character as underwritten and essentially pushed to the sidelines of his own film series. He has easily become the least interesting figure in the PIRATES movies, especially when put alongside far more interesting anti-heroes as returning pirate Capt. Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), who has become the world’s most successful pirate, and new villain Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem), a ghost pirate leading a ghost crew who can never leave the water and appear as rotting-corpse apparitions, some with body parts missing (it’s actually rather ghastly, but the effects are so stunning, you almost don’t notice).
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 am

Deadline July 4, 2017:
‘Despicable Me 3’ Gru-vy With $120M Overseas; ‘Wonder Woman’, ‘Pirates’ Reach $710M WW – International Box Office
Nancy Tartaglione wrote:Also notable this weekend, Warner Bros/DC’s Wonder Woman powered past the $700M worldwide box office threshold with a bigger $709.6M than was estimated Sunday. The Amazon warrior held well in her 5th frame, and has lassoed $363.4M overseas with Japan still on deck. Brazil has continued to be a strength for Diana Prince.

Disney’s Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales also crossed $700M globally, aided by a strong two-day debut in Japan which is typically a huge market for the series. Through July 2, the film reeled in $710.6M worldwide, including $545M international — up from the Sunday call. That lifts the Pirates franchise to over $4.4B worldwide.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:05 pm

I saw it opening weekend and it was a lot more fun than On Stranger Tides. I was actually surprised at how much I liked this one, but I think I was just going in with super low expectations. Javier was a fantastic villain and I think that's what elevates this to being better what what I thought the 5th movie of the series would be. Although I feel like David Wenham was wasted in this movie.

The main issue with this movie, and I think the series as it has gone on, is that Jack started out a character who acted up his craziness to hide his intelligence. But he is now just a drunken Mr. Magoo, winning the day less out of clever plans and more out of sheer luck and happenstance. Like a drunken Mr. Magoo.

So as much as I like the series, unless they refocus or reboot (But Depp still draw crowds) I don't think there will be a 6th or at least a good 6th.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Re: Pirates of the Reboot

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:27 am

Deadline, October 23, 2018:
Disney Talking ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Reboot With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Disney is exploring a reboot of its billion dollar Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. The studio has met with the writing team of Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick and they are in early talks to write the script. Reese & Wernick are the writers behind the first two Deadpool blockbusters, and before that wrote Zombieland and its sequel, and 6 Underground, the action film that Michael Bay is directing for Netflix with Ryan Reynolds starring.

Jerry Bruckheimer will continue to captain the ship as producer on Pirates of the Caribbean, but at this point it is too early to say who else might be back and that includes Johnny Depp, who has channeled Rolling Stones’ rogue Keith Richard in playing Jack Sparrow through the first five films. It is not surprising the studio will try to breathe new pirate life into the franchise, as the first five films grossed north of $4.5 billion over 14 years.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television