Pacific Rim: Uprising

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:48 pm

From THR:
'Pacific Rim' Sequel Already in the Works with Writer Travis Beacham (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Guillermo del Toro's monsters vs. robots tentpole won't be released in July but Legendary already is prepping a follow-up.
Borys Kit wrote:Legendary is doubling down on Pacific Rim.

The company won’t release the Guillermo del Toro sci-fi tentpole until July 12, 2013, but it’s already laying the groundwork for a sequel, tapping Travis Beacham to pen the script.

Beacham wrote the initial treatment for Pac Rim, as the project is affectionately known, as a spec script, which Legendary picked up in June 2010. Del Toro quickly became involved in its development and when his passion project At the Mountains of Madness fell apart, he made it his next picture. Warner Bros. will distribute.

Rim centers on a defense force consisting of mechas, giant robots and their human pilots, who are fighting to save humanity from gigantic monsters invading from an other-worldly dimension.

Sources say Del Toro will supervise the writing of the sequel script, although at this stage it’s unclear whether he will direct. The filmmaker yesterday committed to helming a haunted house story, Crimson Peak, which Legendary — wanting to stay in the del Toro business — picked up from Universal. A January 2014 production start is being eyed.

Starting to work on a sequel prior to the release of the original movie is becoming more common in an age when release dates often are set years in advance. Studios would prefer to wait until the first weekend’s opening grosses come in before throwing another installment into development, but in cases where test scores or buzz is high, it happens. Warner Bros., for example, famously started working on The Hangover: Part II two months before the first installment hit theaters. Legendary is clearly feeling bullish that it has a franchise on its hands with Pacific Rim.

Beacham broke into Hollywood with his 2005 spec A Killing on Carnival Row, which del Toro was at one time attached to direct (the project remains in development at Kopelson Entertainment). He also worked on 2010’s Clash of the Titans and wrote drafts of Black Hole for Joe Kosinski at Disney and penned the initial draft of Bad Robot’s top secret Zanbato project for J.J. Abrams.

He is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Hansen Jacobson.
Last edited by mr.negativity on Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 pm

can we start a referendum to limit sequel threads until after the movies in question are released???

Remember when we had a Green Lantern 2 thread?
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Yeah, I feel like this is kind of silly, just post this in the Pacific Rim thread until the film is out. Then we can talk sequels which probably won't happen because its GDT.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:37 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:can we start a referendum to limit sequel threads until after the movies in question are released???

Remember when we had a Green Lantern 2 thread?

I want this to happen so much that it might be my Christmas wish :shock:
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:17 am

COLLIDER:
Guillermo del Toro Talks Hypothetical PACIFIC RIM vs. GODZILLA Movie, and His HEAVY METAL Approach
Matt Goldberg wrote:Del Toro made sure to be clear that there’s nothing in the works regarding a crossover between Pacific Rim and Godzilla, but he loves the idea. However, he also talked about how the different artistic styles might not mesh if the two worlds ever collided:
So far with the sequel, what we’re writing, what we’re creating, is very different, so there are no plans. Hypothetically, I would love the "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" out of it. I would love to see a jaeger and Godzilla duke it out. That would be too much for the human brain. But I don’t think there are plans on that. I don’t even know what direction they’re taking Godzilla in. I know somewhat that it’s grounded differently. Pacific Rim, my aspiration was, the color, the saturation of color, was almost an acid-drip version of the Heavy Metal coloring that I loved when Richard Corben was working there, when [Jean-Claude] Forest was working there. Super bright, super saturated, the crazy color and aesthetic. And Godzilla is more realistic, somewhat. That’s my thinking. That’s what I’ve heard. I don’t even know which way they’re going.

Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM 2, Prepping THE STRAIN TV Series, CRIMSON PEAK, and Other Future Projects at WonderCon
Matt Goldberg wrote:Pacific Rim won’t hit theaters until July, but the hype reached fever pitch when an exclusive trailer played at WonderCon this past weekend. Furthermore, Legendary’s clearly happy with what they’ve seen thus far since they’ve commissioned a script for a sequel. Here’s what del Toro had to say about the status of Pacific Rim 2:
We pitched a pretty good outline to Legendary several weeks ago, and they loved it, so Travis and I, as soon as we land this monster (no pun intended) into the screen, we will start actively working on the script. The outline was basically approved.

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:42 am

Call me crazy, but I'm not even sure I'd like to hypothetically see Godzilla take on a Jaeger...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:08 am

I have no desire to see that at all.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 am

My curiosity would be peaked for Godzilla vs 7 Jaegers
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:23 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 am

Since the Kaiju are engineered and the two research scientists have drifted with an alive Kaiju brain, I would not be surprised if we see bio-Jaegers in Pacific Rim 2.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 am

Jorzilla wrote:Since the Kaiju are engineered and the two research scientists have drifted with an alive Kaiju brain, I would not be surprised if we see bio-Jaegers in Pacific Rim 2.

And then the Guyver-Zoanoid...errr.... the mech-Kaiju would follow, natch. :wink:
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby Kailem » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:35 pm

^ That sounds like it might be exactly what he has in mind:

Guillermo Del Toro On What You Can And Can’t Expect From The Pacific Rim DVD, Blu-Ray And Sequel
[quote="Guillermo Del Toro"]There was a line that I deleted from the movie that will come back if I do a second movie. Newt explained that the Kaiju are not carbon based organisms like humans, they are silicon based. The only part I left of his explanation is that they have a hive mentality, meaning that if you “driftâ€
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
Kailem
Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:20 pm

That's awesome. We could see an arms race between the Aliens and the Humans on who can build the better tool of destruction. It would be especially bad-ass if by the 3rd one the humans have turned the tables and are now using the Rift to send wave after wave of Jaegers to exterminate the aliens (also a moral point).
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:22 pm

I just hope there is a quadrupedal jaeger. How badass would that be?
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:31 pm

DannyBeane wrote:I just hope there is a quadrupedal jaeger. How badass would that be?

a scorpion jaeger.
Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away;
A single laugh demolished the right arm
Of his own country; — seldom since that day
Has Spain had heroes.

where did all the happy endings go?, where could all the good times be.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Mecha Knife Head
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:16 am

Cinemablend:
Why A Pacific Rim - Godzilla Mash Up Can And Should Happen
[quote="Sean O'Connell and Adam Frazier"]
Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim, despite its appearances, is neither a Transformers prequel nor a follow up to Hollywood’s countless Godzilla movies. But we can understand why you’d believe that Del Toro’s blockbuster belongs to the same family tree that created said franchises. In fact, one of my first thoughts after a recent Rim screening was, “How the hell is Gareth Edwards going to top this with his planned Godzilla reboot in 2014?â€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Kailem » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:12 am

Couldn't agree more with his choice of favourite kaiju. And even though I wouldn't have immediately guessed War of the Gargantuas, it really does have that tragic/misunderstood monster aspect to it that he loves, so I can see why that would be one of his picks for his favourite movies.

I'm surprised the guy didn't ask him what his reaction would be if he was ever asked to direct a Godzilla movie though. I know he said he wouldn't like to play in an established movie sandbox universe, but he was going to be directing The Hobbit at one point, and Godzilla is such a malleable character and universe that I'm sure if he ever got the chance he could do great things with it.

Though maybe after Pacific Rim that's just me being greedy. :P
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
Kailem
Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:15 am

The type of Godzilla movie they're making is so different then what Pacific Rim is.... I wouldn't hope for a mix-up honestly.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:12 pm

PR2 Is listed as (in development) over at imdb ( so make of that what it will.)
Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away;
A single laugh demolished the right arm
Of his own country; — seldom since that day
Has Spain had heroes.

where did all the happy endings go?, where could all the good times be.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby BrollySupersj » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 pm

It should be listed as barely in development. Del Toro and Beachem are just toying around with some ideas.
BrollySupersj
Heisei Godzilla

Postby takuGuy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:18 pm

With these box office returns, I wouldn't even entertain the possibility now. Nothing but disappointment will be found down this road. :(
takuGuy
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:59 pm

^Maybe in ten years when it's become and engrained cult classic?

Double feature with Speed Racer 2?
:wink:

But seriously, we just got the wild, late '60s to '70s kaiju movie and next year with Godzilla it seems we're getting the slight more sober '50s/early '60s kaiju movie. I'm a happy little fanboy.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:05 am

Jet Jaeger wrote:With these box office returns, I wouldn't even entertain the possibility now. Nothing but disappointment will be found down this road. :(
so, what was the total box office take for this movie? I mean, you must know to make such declarations.

I'm not saying it will or won't happen, but for some perspective, Rise of the Planets of the Apes only grossed about $50 mill its opening weekend, and Batman Begins was a rayher unimpressive $45 million with a total take of around $350 mill. So please, continue telling us all about the future.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Cookie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:29 am

I hope GDT is listening.... because maybe instead of looking into the FUTURE of Pacific Rim, maybe look at the past of it..... PREQUELS. I would love to see the early days of the kaiju wars... when the Jaegars were first created.... when they were hard fault battles with the Category 1, 2 and 3 kaijus. This is what I would love for them to do.... LOTS of things they could do... lots of stories that could be told.

Also, the first kaiju attack... the one that took over 6 days to kill would be a cool thing to see too.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Next

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television