Box Office Discussion

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Box Office Discussion

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:31 pm

king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:39 pm

This made more than Mission Impossible, TinTin and Girl WIth the Dragon Tattoo in its opening weekend.

But lets look at the Devil Inside... An "F" from Cinemascore (that's 100% audience votes)? A 7% on Rotten Tomatoes? Reports of booing coming from pretty much every screening? The knowledge that the movie just suddenly stops and then tells you to go visit a website to figure out the ending? My guess is having the worst word of mouth, like ever will lead to an immense drop off next weekend.

But movies like these will continue to attract religious movie-goers who eat this s*it up like candy. I guarantee they are a large reason it had such a big opening weekend.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm at a loss to explain it really.

You'd think the religous folks wouldn't want a film dealing with stuff like this, just like some of them avoid Harry Potter because of its focus on witchcraft, which is demonic in their eyes.

I guess, I've never really understood the fasination with Exorcisms or ghost stories. I'm a fairly practial individual, and even though I'd like to believe in things outside of this reality...I don't think spiritual based horror films are all that compelling. Usually whatever force is involved doesn't kill anyone, and merely has to be content with "scaring people". That's why ghosts never work for me, at the end of the day...they're nightmares in the real world. Scary, yes. But you can always just walk away and they really can't harm you outside of a few bumps and bruises.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:34 pm

I've seen plenty of movies where ghosts kill people (the Poltergeist films, the Entity, The Fog, 100 Feet, Clive Barker's Book of Blood, Pulse).... in the case of the Entity, the ghost rapes a woman repeatedly. :shock:
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Yeah, the ghosts in The Fog chop people's heads off!

ghosts that exist merely to scare are generally lame (can be used effectively in dream sequences or just to add to the general aura of terror, like in Pet Sematary for example), but there are plenty of examples of ghosts that can use either animate or inanimate objects to their will or just attack people outright.

It's all a matter of how good a job the director does of crafting an effective film, at the end of the day.

One of the big problems with ghost stories, imho, is that far too many of them rely on springing a ghostly twist on you at the end instead of just making a scary movie...it's like somewhere along the line the goal of a ghost story became to make the audience say, "I never woulda thought HE was a ghost" instead of "That scared the bejeepers outta me"
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:47 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Yeah, the ghosts in The Fog chop people's heads off!

ghosts that exist merely to scare are generally lame (can be used effectively in dream sequences or just to add to the general aura of terror, like in Pet Sematary for example), but there are plenty of examples of ghosts that can use either animate or inanimate objects to their will or just attack people outright.

It's all a matter of how good a job the director does of crafting an effective film, at the end of the day.

One of the big problems with ghost stories, imho, is that far too many of them rely on springing a ghostly twist on you at the end instead of just making a scary movie...it's like somewhere along the line the goal of a ghost story became to make the audience say, "I never woulda thought HE was a ghost" instead of "That scared the bejeepers outta me"

That's why I particularly love movies like the Devil's Backbone, or the Innocents or Changeling, where the ghost is an actual character in the story. Or something like the Haunting, where ghosts are just a vessel for a sick characters' psychosis.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:53 pm

I dunno...just not a genre that I find to be all that interesting. Kind of like when GDT says sci-fi and fantasy aren't typically his things but the few works of each that he loves, he fricken LOVES.

I, for example, LOVE The Fog. Great, great movie. And I like that the ghosts in it can literally gut you in the film.

What always kills me about haunted house movies is that they rarely show or give any reason, as to why the family that's being haunted just doesn't f'n leave the house. Don't Be Afaird of the Dark actually did a good job of showing the financial consequences of doing that...
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:55 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:What always kills me about haunted house movies is that they rarely show or give any reason, as to why the family that's being haunted just doesn't f'n leave the house.

Sounds like you aren't watching the RIGHT haunted house movies, that's the problem.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Or how about Poltergeist? it's been a tremendously long time since I've seen it, but I believe they try to leave at some point...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:11 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Or how about Poltergeist? it's been a tremendously long time since I've seen it, but I believe they try to leave at some point...

I like it alot, part of it I love...but it feels disjointed. Like two different movies spliced together, and considering the behind the scenes drama around this movie it only makes sense.

And I've seen a lot of ghosts/ haunted house horror movies. Just don't like many of them, for every Evil Dead 2 film I like there are probably 15 films involving spirits or ghosts that I hate.

If aquatic horror is my favorite sub genre within the Horor category, the oppostite end of the spectrum for me would be ghosts/ exorcism horror films.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:11 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Or how about Poltergeist? it's been a tremendously long time since I've seen it, but I believe they try to leave at some point...

Yup. And in Poltergeist, their little girl has literally been sucked into the spirit realm by ghosts. What parent would leave?
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:14 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:

And I've seen a lot of ghosts/ haunted house horror movies. Just don't like many of them, for every Evil Dead 2 film I like there are probably 15 films involving spirits or ghosts that I hate.

I dunno, I think its fair to make that assessment of most every subgenre. Look at the ratio of good to bad slashers or zombies or vampire or sci-fi-horror or creature movies. Most of them are garbage. But there are still more than quite a few amazing ones.

Most every genre in the world will have more bad than good movies, simply because there are more bad movies than good movies in existence.

Werewolf movies have an especially bad streak, possibly the worst of the whole bunch... there's what like, 5 good ones? (The Howling, original Wolf Man, American Werewolf, Curse of the Werewolf, and Ginger Snaps are literally the only ones I can think of worth a damn)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Yes it's true but damnit Mouth listen to me lol, it's just not my thing but if I hear enough good things about a movie I'll check it out.

Still haven't seen Ginger Snaps yet...perhaps someday soon I'll have to. i was a little bitter after watching the supposedly devine work of art known as "Dog Soldiers". I heard such great things, and then the actual film was medicore at best. Yes, the practical effects are to be applauded but I feel as if that good will gave the film a pass in many people's eyes and I don't think it was worthy of that.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:16 pm

I feel like American Werewolf is the only Werewolf film worth a crap. I've never really taken to any of the other ones I've watched.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:25 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I feel like American Werewolf is the only Werewolf film worth a crap. I've never really taken to any of the other ones I've watched.

It's deff the best of the bunch I think...I still enjoy others like The Wolfman and The Howling though. If I could only own one though, it wouldn't even be a choice....
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Ginger Snaps puts Dog Soldiers to shame in terms of story telling, acting, plot, script, direction, and just about every other measurable aspect except for the wolf design and execution.

The wolves in Dog Soldiers are just about FLAWLESS, while the one in Ginger Snaps is more along the lines of "admirable given the budgetary limitations" (please keep in mind that my admiration of the wolves from Dog Soldiers does not mean that I in any way approve of the film or would ever recommend it to anybody; my recommendation would be to look for stills of the wolves and be satisfied with that and nothing more)

I wouldn't recommend Ginger Snaps as highly as something like American Werewolf in London, or Howling or (to take a non-wolf film) Stake Land...but it's better than Dog Soldiers, or Underworld, or 2009's Wolf Man...in terms of werewolf movies, I'd put it on a second-tier along with Bad Moon and in terms of just a general genre film, I feel like Fright Night (the 80s version) is a good comparison. Just a good, solid, fun, worth-a-watch film.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Dog Soldiers sucks.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby emeGoji » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm partial to Wolf (1994) myself.
gmk0taku takuGuy Jack B revenge of gmk0taku
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Shuwatch! wrote:I'm partial to Wolf (1994) myself.

Wolf is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I wouldn't call it a good movie. I just have a lil bit of thing for Mrs. Pfieffer (Batman Returns doomed me to have a crush on her and a thing for chicks in leather for the rest of my life), and Jack does a pretty good job of playing as himself, turned werewolf. Not a fan of the minimalist werewolf effects though, even if they are done by the legendary Rick Baker.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:43 pm

FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:58 pm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

^ One-stop website for all things box office.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:58 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Box Office Discussion

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:28 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat May 23, 2015 8:36 pm

‘Tomorrowland,’ ‘Pitch Perfect’ Battling For No. 1; ‘Mad Max’ Holds Strong; ‘Ultron’ To Cross $400M – Box Office Saturday
Anita Busch wrote:The other big news is that Warner Bros. is enjoying a wonderful hold this holiday weekend as Fury Road rides into its second weekend, with a drop of only 44% after adding just a handful (20) of theaters. At the end of the four-day weekend, they will be hovering slightly under $100M
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:08 am

THR 6/26/2015:
Box Office: Moviegoing Isn't Extinct After All as Revenue Hits Record Levels
A hybrid pack of hits — including 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' and 'Jurassic World' — have helped set the North American box office revenue record at an all-time high of $5.3 billion year-to-date.
Pamela McClintock wrote:Universal is enjoying the best year in its history, and is No. 1 in marketshare. Two of its films, Furious 7 and Jurassic World, have already grossed north of $1 billion globally, or $1.51 billion and $1.02 billion, respectively. (It is also home to Fifty Shades of Grey and Pitch Perfect 2.) Disney is also prospering, with Ultron earning $1.38 billion globally.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Next

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television