The Muppets

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Mysterio » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:53 am

O.Supreme wrote:Heck I just want the long overdue Muppet Show Seasons 4 & 5 on DVD.

Agreed. I felt certain that with the release of the movie it would light a fire under them to release these and capitalize on the buzz.... but nothin' happened... :cry:
Mysterio
Godzilla

Re: The Muppets

Postby mr.negativity » Thu May 07, 2015 11:53 pm

Comedies ‘The Muppets’, ‘Dr. Ken’ & ‘The Real O’Neals’ Get ABC Series Orders

The Muppets are back on ABC
Gary Levin wrote:The furry Muppets are back on ABC in one of three new comedies the network ordered for next season late Thursday.

The network describes the new series as a "documentary-style" look that "explore(s) the Muppets' personal lives and relationships, bot at home and at work, as well as romances, breakups, achievements, disappointments, wants and desires." That's a tall order for a bunch of felt creatures, but it's in good hands: Bill Prady (The Big Bang Theory) is a co-writer and executive producer.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:19 pm

I like this. Film has always been The Muppet's second home: even after the original Muppet show ended and they made movies they still kept on doing TV specials and such (not to mention the mega popular Muppet babies).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:29 am

‘The Muppets’ Showrunner Bob Kushell Exits As Series Heads For Reboot
Nellie Andreeva wrote:There is a behind the scenes shakeup on ABC’s freshman comedy series The Muppets. Gone is co-creator, executive producer and showrunner Bob Kushell. Kristin Newman (Galavant) is in negotiations to succeed him as new showrunner under her overall deal at ABC Studios, the studio that produces The Muppets. The move is part of a creative overhaul of the freshman comedy, which is expected to take a hiatus after finishing Episode 10 for a reboot. ABC recently ordered 3 more episodes, bringing The Muppets‘ first season to 16 episodes — 10 to air in the fall and the other 6 in midseason after a winter hiatus. The spring run will likely be treated as a relaunch.

Kushell co-wrote the original Muppets presentation with The Big Bang Theory co-creator/executive producer Bill Prady. Because of Prady’s commitment to the hit CBS comedy, Kushell was tapped as solo showrunner on The Muppets, with Brady coming in two days a week.

The Muppets was rushed to air by broadcast TV standards, filming a last-minute presentation in April and getting a slot on the fall schedule just a couple of weeks later — before its concept, style and tone had been fully formed. That added tension to the already stressed environment on the show, which faced a tight production schedule and a complicated shoot because of the seamless mix of real actors and puppets.

Because it marked the TV return of beloved characters, there were high expectations for the series, which was launched with a big marketing campaign that employed ABC’s biggest stars plugging the Muppets’ comeback comedy. But after a highly-rated premiere, ratings dropped. The Muppets has done an OK job opening Tuesday night for ABC at 8 PM, with its numbers on par with lead-out Fresh Off The Boat, but because of its marquee title, The Muppets has been held to a different standard, so its performance has been considered somewhat disappointing, and there has been a concern about its creative direction.

Behind the scenes, I hear there was a clash in styles and vision for the show between Kushell and Prady, which was exacerbated by Prady’s part-time participation, leading to swings in direction on scripts that had been already in progress. I hear Kushell was well-liked among the cast, crew and the producers, but the discord proved too taxing on everyone and was starting to show on the screen. It was getting harder for the show to go on with both Prady and Kushell, and a decision was made to let Kushell go, though I hear many wanted him to stay.

The Muppets follows Kermit the Frog and the rest of the Muppet gang as they produce a late-night talk show, Up Late With Miss Piggy. The series stars Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, The Great Gonzo, Pepé the King Prawn, Rizzo the Rat, Scooter, Rowlf and the Electric Mayhem.

Season-to-date, The Muppets still ranks as Tuesday’s highest-rated new TV show among Adults 18-49 (2.6). On average, the freshman show is improving its half-hour for ABC by 69% in Total Viewers (7.6 million) and by 86% in Adults 18-49 (2.6), standing as the net’s strongest performing Tuesday comedy in 4 years. In its most recent airing last night, The Muppets matched its delivery from last week, a 1.4 in 18-49 (Live+same day). Fresh Off The Boat did a 1.5.

Newman had a fast start in TV writing. She landed her first staff job in 2000 on That ’70s Show, rising to supervising producer. Following the end of the Fox sitcom in 2006, Newman got her first overall deal at 20th TV where she joined another long-running young ensemble comedy, How I Met Your Mother, as co-executive producer. Newman, repped by UTA and Hansen Jacobson, also worked on the NBC/WBTV dramedy Chuck, created the ABC/ABC Studios comedy Single With Parents and served as co-executive producer on ABC/ABCS’ The Neighbors and Galavant and as executive producer/showrunner on ABC/ABCS’ comedy pilot Delores and Jermaine this past season.

Newman would executive produce The Muppets alongside Prady, Randall Einhorn, Bill Barretta, Debbie McClellan and Kyle Laughlin for ABC Studios and The Muppets Studio.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:30 pm

It's not such a good show...I watch it, but only because my daughter will just stare at anything with Kermit. Hopefully a relaunch will be funnier.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:34 pm

The show is okay. It's certainly not a disaster, as some have said, but it could be a lot better. Hopefully this soft reboot works.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:52 am

I thought Statler was a particular OH GODZILLA WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE to Fozzie when he landed and got out of the hospital. I think Jim Henson would have handled it in a nicer way. ("You're all right, Bear, but we're still gonna heckle the heck out of you.")

And Animal and the Swedish Chef are more coherent than they once were. Otherwise, there's plenty to enjoy.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:59 pm

To me, it does seem a TAD early for a "reboot" considering I thought the most recent episode had the most laughs. Everything with Electric Mayhem was funny this past week, and I legitimately enjoyed the dynamic with Kermit and Piggy and the gift buying this week also.

But there have been entire episodes where nothing has been BAD or anything, but I haven't even cracked a smile.
In the old Muppet Show, that could be okay because even if an episode wasn't funny, it had an act or a song or something that was a spectacle. This show positions itself PURELY as comedy, so when you don't laugh, there's really nothing else to it.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:01 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:But there have been entire episodes where nothing has been BAD or anything, but I haven't even cracked a smile.
In the old Muppet Show, that could be okay because even if an episode wasn't funny, it had an act or a song or something that was a spectacle. This show positions itself PURELY as comedy, so when you don't laugh, there's really nothing else to it.

Exactly. I'm watching these a week behind. I think the first two, episodes I laughed once. The last two, I haven't really laughed at all, (Reese Witherspoon), -as you said, nothing bad, just not funny.

That said however I'm ok with the changes early on. I kind of figure no matter what, this series isn't going to survive pas one season anyway. The world has changed to much unfortunately. I still watch the original series with my kids, and still get a joy from watching it. I see my post from 3 years ago -wanting seasons 4 & 5 of the original series on DVD, and yes, I am still waiting. Why Disney hasn't done this is beyond me. -I think a Muppet movie every 3-4 years is sufficient to keep the audiences coming back, perhaps that's what they should stay with.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Rody » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:57 pm

O.Supreme wrote:I'm watching these a week behind. I think the first two, episodes I laughed once. The last two, I haven't really laughed at all, (Reese Witherspoon), -as you said, nothing bad, just not funny.

Doesn't that pretty much equate to bad for a comedy show?
I dropped it after the first episode. It was too dramatic and, at times, even crude. I like the Muppets for their innocence and silliness, and this new show doesn't feel the least bit innocent or silly.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:59 am

I don't think the Muppets have ever NOT been crude, personally. I don't think they're very innocent, honestly.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Reaper G » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:51 am

Not innocent perhaps, but the innuendo is a bit more overt than it was in the past. As opposed to the cartoonish violence that Henson might use.

And if you didn't like the Swedish Chef doing "Rapper's Delight", you have no soul.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:07 pm

i get some chuckles, but this is purely a case where if these were normal puppets and not the muppets i grew up on, there is no way i'd be watching this show.

I think i got more laughs from Greg the Bunny
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: ‘Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas’

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Shonokin wrote:
lhb412 wrote:The highlight, however, is My Morning Jacket's (never heard of them before) cover of Our World, from a Henson production I've never seen (Emmet Otter?). It's hauntingly beautiful. Seriously.

It probably takes a certain kind of taste to like Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, but I love it. It was a TV special in the 70s that showed frequently on HBO. It's about a music contest with a clash of cultures (city critters with their rock n roll vs the country critters with there bluegrass) and a resounding "Gift a the Magi" parable throughout.

Music again by Paul Williams!

VARIETY, OCTOBER 21, 2019:
‘Flight of the Conchords” Bret McKenzie to Adapt Jim Henson’s ‘Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas’ (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll wrote:Flight of the Conchords’ own Rhymenoceros, Bret McKenzie, has signed on to pen the script and write the music for “Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas,” based on the 1970s ABC special from the Jim Henson Company.

Henson’s 1977 TV special was based on the children’s book of the same name by Russell Hoban. McKenzie also has the option to direct the new adaptation, which follows a poor otter family who risks everything for the chance to win the cash prize of a talent contest for Christmas, but a decision has not yet been made. The ABC special used the classic Henson puppet technology that made Henson’s “The Muppets” famous and even included an introduction by Kermit the Frog.

With McKenzie’s attachment, the package will be shopped to buyers, as no distributor is currently on board. The family movie will be a co-production between the Jim Henson Company, Pacific Electric Picture Company and Snoot Entertainment.

McKenzie is no stranger to the world of Jim Henson projects: He was the music supervisor for 2011’s “The Muppets” — which won an Academy Award for best original song for “Man or Muppet” — and 2014’s “Muppets Most Wanted.”

McKenzie is also currently developing “Bob the Musical!” for Disney as well as the Warner Bros. comedy “Moonland.” He’s best known as half (along with Jemaine Clement) of the musical comedy duo Flight of the Conchords, who starred in the HBO series “Flight of the Conchords.” He also appeared in the first and third “Lord of the Rings” movies as Lindir, a role he reprised for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.” McKenzie is repped by UTA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:02 pm

In other news...Slipknot will play the part of the Riverbottom Nightmare band :lol: :roll:
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television