the career of: George Lucas

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Empire would still be the best film in the series if at the end, Luke chops off Vader's hand and says, "Tell your master I'm coming for him next" and the film ended on a positive note.

Jedi has its flaws, but so does the first film. in fact, of the original three, the first film is the slowest paced, and has the most obviously thin budget. if i want to watch a random star wars film, there's a good chance that A New Hope would be my third choice.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 pm

I used to love Jedi, up until they free Han. After that it's LETS DESTROY ANOTHER DEATH STAR. I've never been able to rationalize or enjoy the Ewoks defeating Stormtroopers, and most of the effects (ship explosions and the like) are SO much worse than the ones in A New Hope. I mean, it's okay, but it's vastly inferior to what came before it.

I wouldn't even be so harsh on it, but it seems like so many fans uphold the OT as untouchable when that's not really the case. If you're gonna tear the prequels a new one, you might as well have a go at stuff like Jedi.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:15 pm

I actually like that there was another Death Star...all too often in other films and tv shows villains give up on their plan if it fails the first time around..I like to see a villain double down on their evil plans, shows backbone lol
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:I actually like that there was another Death Star...all too often in other films and tv shows villains give up on their plan if it fails the first time around..I like to see a villain double down on their evil plans, shows backbone lol

Backbone...or idiocy..
WHICHEVA
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:42 pm

It's like the original Super X in The Return of Godzilla...if they had used that exact same plan again in a situation free of nuclear weapons causing a freak lightning storm then they would have actually killed Godzilla
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:24 am

lol. The original trilogy can do no wrong. The prequels are the only films with mistakes.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:58 pm

I don't know....Return of the Jedi has never bothered me at all.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Return of the Jedi severely under-utilizes the bulk of the cast (Han, Leia, Chewy, R2, 3PO), and not because they're a part of the grand Ewok battle - and by the way, the Ewok battle just isn't very well filmed or dynamic. It's a wooded patch of land with various characters bumping into each other. It has none of the thrills of the epic space battle or the more intimate Luke v. Vader v. Emperor confrontation that are going on at the same time.

That's RotJ main flaw: it divides into three and one piece is lacking. That being said, the opening with Jaba is perfect. I do like the film overall.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:47 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:I actually like that there was another Death Star...all too often in other films and tv shows villains give up on their plan if it fails the first time around..I like to see a villain double down on their evil plans, shows backbone lol

Backbone...or idiocy..
WHICHEVA
i say backbone.

you've got this million to one shot that they were going to destroy it in the first place, why not try it again? in fact, a fleet of Death Stars might have been the ultimate goal of the Empire...have each one patrolling different areas, they'd be able to wipe out any planet that didn't fall in line with ease

it's like in sports, you've got a play that works or at the very least isn't a catastrophic failure 99% of the time, like a QB sneak. then in the biggest game of the year, the QB fumbles and you lose...next time in that situation, you're gonna run the play again, you're not gonna suddenly decide to go for the hail mary.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 pm

From Vulture:
The History of George Lucas’s Star Wars Rerelease Cash Grab
Adam Raymond and Matt Ruby wrote:Last weekend a newly reformatted 3-D version of Star Wars, Episode I — The Phantom Menace opened in theaters, adding another $22.5 million to the billions that George Lucas's endlessly repackaged space opera franchise has already taken in through its many forms. (3-D versions of the rest of the movies are supposed to be released annually over the next five years.) The history of and rationale behind Lucas's tweaks and highly touted revised editions — whether in theaters, on DVD or Blu-ray — is as twisty as a Princess Leia hair braid. But for all those Jedi fans who want a refresher course on the many ways in which they've spent their money over the years (each time assured that this is the definitive version!), click on to see this history in a form just perfect for Star Wars lore.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 pm

And of course the 3D version of Episode 1 will no doubt end up on 3D blu-ray by the end of the year. And the most hardcore Star Wars fans will buy it up like the sheep they are.

I mean, seriously, how many times has Lucas released these movies on home video in just the past decade?
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:52 am

RedLetterMedia's Plinkett/Half in the Bag videos on George Lucas and Star Wars pretty much mirror my own...
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y

Saw this posted by a number of people on facebook.

It really does make Phantom Menace a bit better and the saddest thing is that it's really a minor edit.

I don't really know how I feel about the vengeful Obi Wan or the love subplot. The love thing would be fine if it were REALLLYYY subtle. Though I do like the streamlined nature of this idea.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Alpha OTS » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:17 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y

Saw this posted by a number of people on facebook.

It really does make Phantom Menace a bit better and the saddest thing is that it's really a minor edit.

I don't really know how I feel about the vengeful Obi Wan or the love subplot. The love thing would be fine if it were REALLLYYY subtle. Though I do like the streamlined nature of this idea.

The most infuriating thing about the prequels is that it would have taken one person with the ability to say "NO" to Lucas, and all would have been well. Sadly, there was no such person in such a position. Red Letter Media's review even points out how afraid everyone looks in the "making of" videos, with which I agree.

Anyone with a lick of story sense would have fixed these movies. Everything said in that youtube link is an obvious fix. Lucas wasn't interested in hearing it. In the original trilogy, he *had* to implement constructive criticism, inthe prequel trilogy, he was running wild. Every poor movie-making attribute of Lucas is in full effect with nobody to pull it back.

I used to be a huge Star Wars fan. Even enjoyed some of the expanded universe. The SE editions of the original trilogy pretty much yanked me out of that enjoyment, and ever since, I am firm in the position that Star Wars ended in 1983.
Alpha OTS
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:33 am

Alpha OTS wrote:I used to be a huge Star Wars fan. Even enjoyed some of the expanded universe. The SE editions of the original trilogy pretty much yanked me out of that enjoyment, and ever since, I am firm in the position that Star Wars ended in 1983.

This is pretty much the exact same thing for me. Sometimes I can get back into the pre-Prequel comics but very rarely. Otherwise, it's my HD restorations of the OT all the way.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Did you guys know that Lucas took the DVDs of all the films out of print when the BDs came out? I had no idea. My friend who works at Barnes and Noble was telling me yesterday that she had to make some little kid really sad because he wanted Star Wars and couldn't get it cuz his family didn't have a blu-ray player. That sucks.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 am

MouthForWar wrote:Did you guys know that Lucas took the DVDs of all the films out of print when the BDs came out? I had no idea. My friend who works at Barnes and Noble was telling me yesterday that she had to make some little kid really sad because he wanted Star Wars and couldn't get it cuz his family didn't have a blu-ray player. That sucks.
he's such a f*cktard...all you can do (or at least, all i do) is watch the original, unbastardized three films and ignore everything else he's ever done (yeah, im including thx138, which i find to be BORING)
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Shadow » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:35 am

To be fair, the last DVDs for the Star Wars movies were released back in 2006; they've probably been OOP for awhile now. Think about it, how many other DVD releases that came out SIX years ago do we expect to be in print and available at any store right now. Stuff may be out there and available if you look for it, but that doesn't mean a given release is still actively produced.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:17 am

The Shadow wrote:To be fair, the last DVDs for the Star Wars movies were released back in 2006; they've probably been OOP for awhile now. Think about it, how many other DVD releases that came out SIX years ago do we expect to be in print and available at any store right now. Stuff may be out there and available if you look for it, but that doesn't mean a given release is still actively produced.

Actually, my friend who works at the book store said that the store pulled the old DVDs from their catalog when the BDs came out. She said they aren't allowed to sell things once they go out of print and they have to pull them and send them back. Obviously not all stores do that, but that seems to be what B&N do (I had my eye on the MGM Count Yorga DVD over there for a while, but I was too late because they pulled it when it went out of print).
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:48 pm

That's just awful that they're not even selling the OT dvds anymore. Part of me feels sorry for Lucas because of how much people openly hate him...but then again, it seems so obvious that all he has to do is release the original films on Blu Ray and most of that bad-will would disapear in an instant.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:19 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:That's just awful that they're not even selling the OT dvds anymore. Part of me feels sorry for Lucas because of how much people openly hate him...but then again, it seems so obvious that all he has to do is release the original films on Blu Ray and most of that bad-will would disapear in an instant.
i wouldn't say i HATE him...i just think he's a terrible filmmaker and is more concerned about squeezing every dime he can out of one success as humanly possible.

i don't concern myself with anything he makes, or produces, because other than the OT, he's never done anything i've seen tha ti consider worthwhile.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:56 am

Legion wrote:And of course the 3D version of Episode 1 will no doubt end up on 3D blu-ray by the end of the year. And the most hardcore Star Wars fans will buy it up like the sheep they are.

I mean, seriously, how many times has Lucas released these movies on home video in just the past decade?

From Movieweb:
Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace 3D Blu-ray Coming This Spring

From THR 2/23/2012:
'Star Wars: Phantom Menace' Crosses $1 Billion Mark at Box Office
Pamela McClintock wrote:George Lucas' Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace has crossed $1 billion in worldwide box office with 20th Century Fox's rerelease of the film in 3D.

It's the first individual Star Wars title to join the $1 billion club.

Since opening worldwide less than two weeks ago, Phantom Menace has earned $73.4 million, pushing its cume to $1,000.4 billion through Wednesday.

And it's only $1.5 million from matching and then overtaking The Dark Knight ($1,001.9 million) to become the 10th-highest-grossing film of all time, not accounting for inflation.

The Phantom Menace rerelease has earned $35.8 million domestically and $37.6 million internationally. It is the 11th film to earn $1 billion or more globally.

Fox also is celebrating an Alvin and the Chipmunks milestone: The third entry in the series, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, has grossed $200 million in Latin America, a franchise best. The threequel has grossed $326.4 million worldwide.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:59 am

jellydonut25 wrote:i wouldn't say i HATE him...i just think he's a terrible filmmaker and is more concerned about squeezing every dime he can out of one success as humanly possible.

George Lucas is so hard to figure out. Its easy to say he's all about the money, but if that were true, WHY NOT RELEASE THE ORIGINAL CUTS? He has to know how much he would make off that. Same with why he won't put out the Christmas special... granted, that thing IS the worst thing to ever air on television, but its Star Wars, its unseen/rare, and it will SELL. I really do think that when it comes to Star Wars, he has some odd and unhealthy psychosis where it HAS to be the way he wants it and ONLY that. If you want a different version of something, too bad. And he says he won't do more because he can't handle any more backlash/criticism. But then you look at the merchandising and how it even became more important than the storytelling in the later Star Wars films.... he's just crazy. There's no explaining him.

Its mean is what it is. I just got the gorgeous Apocalypse Now Blu-Ray set, which has remastered discs of both versions of the film and they look and sound amazing. Ridley Scott made an effort to preserve all 5 versions of Blade Runner. So Lucas is just being a jerk, honestly.

jellydonut25 wrote:i don't concern myself with anything he makes, or produces, because other than the OT, he's never done anything i've seen tha ti consider worthwhile.

American Graffiti! And if we're talking producing, the original Indy trilogy, especially Raiders. And you really can't f*ck with Land Before Time and Labyrinth either.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:26 pm

I always said that one could take all the fat out of the prequels and make one single prequel movie that could actually be good. Well, someone finally did... but I wasn't expecting it to be Topher Grace. :shock:

http://www.slashfilm.com/topher-grace-e ... nute-movie

I'd really like to see this.
MouthForWar
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television