the career of: George Lucas

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Norman England » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Shonokin wrote:I was just an extra in the punk bar scenes and am actually visible a few times. But due to people I met on the set it was my fateful "in" into the effects and animation world.

That is very cool! I am also a fan of Liz Sagal, who was the drummer in the band. Would have loved to have been on that set!

Although Howard has a lot of problems and it was basically nothing like the comic (which I also love) it was goofy enough to work in my book. And, yeah, the creature at the end is amazing.

Not sure why Lucas won't release this at all any longer.
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:13 pm

For me, I'm divded on George Lucas. Though very imaginative and at times a trailblazer (on the production side if you're wondering), well as a director, he at times can be tolerable to at times incompetent (While episodes I and particularly II were very terrible, I thought that episode III was pretty good (of course not as good as the original trilogy).

While he does follow the rules of being a visual director (in the vein of one of his mentors, he takes it at times too far while forgeting about other matters of making films).
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:47 pm

A reminder of how Star Wars movies used to be made before George Lucas lost his mind.

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2010/10/emp ... -before-cg

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2010/05/cre ... awl-effect
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:15 am

I didn't know the bit about the monkey. :lol: It's a shame that George CGed everything in the prequels, when I feel like he could have just as easily built most everything. Not only that, it got worse and worse by the end. When Obi Wan challenges Grievous it's so painfully obvious that it becomes hilarious. These things are why I tend to just pop in the original films if I want a Star Wars fix.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:48 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I didn't know the bit about the monkey. :lol: It's a shame that George CGed everything in the prequels, when I feel like he could have just as easily built most everything. Not only that, it got worse and worse by the end. When Obi Wan challenges Grievous it's so painfully obvious that it becomes hilarious. These things are why I tend to just pop in the original films if I want a Star Wars fix.
i think MOST people only pop in the prequels when their morbid curiosity gets the better of them and their memories start betraying them into thinking "they can't really be THAT bad, can they?"
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:I didn't know the bit about the monkey. :lol: It's a shame that George CGed everything in the prequels, when I feel like he could have just as easily built most everything. Not only that, it got worse and worse by the end. When Obi Wan challenges Grievous it's so painfully obvious that it becomes hilarious. These things are why I tend to just pop in the original films if I want a Star Wars fix.
i think MOST people only pop in the prequels when their morbid curiosity gets the better of them and their memories start betraying them into thinking "they can't really be THAT bad, can they?"

I recently fell victim to that... and they were every bit as bad as I remembered.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:31 am

MouthForWar wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

I recently fell victim to that... and they were every bit as bad as I remembered.
luckily for me, that only happened with the third one...i had been thinking about watching the prequels, then I saw the third one was on...i figured "i remember it was the best of the 3" and man...it sucked, even for "not the worst"
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:27 am

Lucas Retires!

From The New York Times:
George Lucas Is Ready to Roll the Credits
[quote="BRYAN CURTIS"]
This was a new feeling for George Lucas. He made a movie about a plucky band of freedom fighters who battle an evil empire — a movie loaded with special effects like no one had seen before. Then he showed it to executives from all the Hollywood studios. And every one of them said, “Nope.â€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:34 am

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joyous celebration and were suddenly angry about something else. I fear something wonderful has happened.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:39 am

Lucas said this same thing after Episode III. "Oh, I'm retiring from Hollywood, but I'm still gonna make smaller, more personal indie movies that will play in arthouses."

I'll believe it when I see it.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:28 am

Red Tails looks like pure, unadultered garbage. Maybe people will start looking past Star Wars now and realize that this guy is horrible.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:08 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Lucas said this same thing after Episode III. "Oh, I'm retiring from Hollywood, but I'm still gonna make smaller, more personal indie movies that will play in arthouses."

I'll believe it when I see it.

He most certainly did. And I doubt it. I mean...he's gonna stop all of his involvement in the Star Wars tv series???? I doubt it.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Stumbled on this today, there's a couple more quotes from Lucas concerning why he's retiring from blockbuster type movies

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/zap-george-luc ... 5557.story

For any fans awaiting future "Star Wars" films from George Lucas, it's going to be a long wait. The creator of the famed series says he's not going to make any more of these movies and that he's essentially retiring. And for that he blames the harsh feedback from certain fans.

"Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?" he tells the New York Times.

Lucas continues to bash these critics despite the fact that their appreciation for the series helped it generate $4.4 billion in worldwide box office sales.

"On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie," Lucas says. "I'm saying: 'Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.'"

Lucas drew strong attacks from "Star Wars" fans for characters like Jar Jar Binks and for digital additions to the DVDs and re-releases of the six-part series.

"I'm moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff," he says.

Can't blame Lucas for not wanting to do anymore blockbuster movies, much less make anymore Star Wars films. Some of the comments I've read from 'fans' of Lucas's work make him out to be worse than Pol Pot -- with people tossing around that kind of hate it's little wonder Lucas doesn't want to make anymore Star Wars movies.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 pm

I think most sensible fans would agree with what he said. They are his movies and he can indeed, do what he wants with them. But it'd be nice if he had some respect for his fans and released the original editions as well.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Yes, he can do whatever he wants with the movies, but depriving the rest of us is wrong.

It's also really wrong to say that the people complaining about the new movies are the reason he's not making any new ones. He looks and sounds like a little child.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Yes, he can do whatever he wants with the movies, but depriving the rest of us is wrong.

It's also really wrong to say that the people complaining about the new movies are the reason he's not making any new ones. He looks and sounds like a little child.

He reminds me of Kain there. lol

I kid Kain, I kid. :wink:
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:13 am

jellydonut25 wrote:It's also really wrong to say that the people complaining about the new movies are the reason he's not making any new ones. He looks and sounds like a little child.

I don't think the issue was complaints in general, but rather the vicious criticisms that were also personal attacks on Lucas.

Even after Lucas allowed prior versions of ANH, ESB, & ROTJ onto DVD (the prints were from the early 90s restoration used for the laserdiscs) the vicious critics continued their assualts unabated.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:56 am

king_ghidorah wrote:I think most sensible fans would agree with what he said. They are his movies and he can indeed, do what he wants with them. But it'd be nice if he had some respect for his fans and released the original editions as well.

jellydonut25 wrote:Yes, he can do whatever he wants with the movies, but depriving the rest of us is wrong.

This x100. THAT BEING SAID....

The Shadow wrote:I don't think the issue was complaints in general, but rather the vicious criticisms that were also personal attacks on Lucas.

The Shadow wrote: Some of the comments I've read from 'fans' of Lucas's work make him out to be worse than Pol Pot -- with people tossing around that kind of hate it's little wonder Lucas doesn't want to make anymore Star Wars movies.

I also agree with this. At the end of the day, these are JUST movies. I realize (and share) the passion of many angry Star Wars fans, but this guy has gotten death threats and non-stop attacks aimed at him over SCIENCE FICTION ADVENTURE MOVIES, something that doesn't affect any (sane) person's daily life. I hate the prequels too, I honestly do, but there has never been any "nerd rage" more vicious and awful than that of Star Wars fans. And even though I think he SHOULD release the theatrical versions, hating Lucas is SO in vogue that ANYTHING he does will be put under a microscope larger than that which would be aimed at any other director in history. When he says "Why should I continue making movies if nobody is going to like them?" I honestly feel for the guy. Despite what some directors like to say, NOBODY makes movies "not for the money" or "just for themselves." People make movies because they like sharing their art with others, hoping that people get some kind of gratification out of it. I can't imagine the guy who came up with things like Star Wars and Indiana Jones NOT simply wanting to entertain and make people happy with his films. Granted, he could make A LOT of people happier by releasing the theatrical Star Wars cuts, but that isn't what this is about... He knows that anything "new" with his name on it will be an automatic target. And if he feels like anything he touches will be attacked just because he's George Lucas, he has every right to back down. He knows when he's not wanted and that is respectable to me.

The Shadow wrote:Even after Lucas allowed prior versions of ANH, ESB, & ROTJ onto DVD (the prints were from the early 90s restoration used for the laserdiscs) the vicious critics continued their assualts unabated.

Now THIS I do have to slightly take issue with. I bought those releases, and as of now, I wouldn't trade them for the world. BUT when you're Lucasfilm and have a practically infinite amount of money, would it have hurt to have given the theatrical cuts the same grand restoration that the new versions got? Or AT LEAST have the decency to make them anamorphic?!
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Outkaster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 am

Well ones things for sure even though I am not a huge Star Wars fan I do think a lot of things in the science fiction/fantasy genre would not be around if it was not for the Star Wars movies. I remember lines out the doors to see these movies in the 1970's. The last time I saw a line was the Dark Knight movie.
Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 am

I don't remember lines for The Dark Knight...not really anyway.
The last time I remember lines were for Star Wars prequels...before that, it was probably Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 am

jellydonut25 wrote:I don't remember lines for The Dark Knight...not really anyway.
The last time I remember lines were for Star Wars prequels...before that, it was probably Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

TDK's lines were epic. I went and saw the movie a few times in the theaters, the first being at a midnight screening in Arizona. I had to get there almost 3 hours early to get a decent seat. I had just bought a PSP back then, so I literally watched an entire movie in my seat before TDK ever started. It was a good time though, lots of people dressed up as The Joker and Batman.

But even after that initial viewing, the screenings I went to were packed, and there were plenty of sold out showings.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:14 am

Hmmm...I went on day one to see it on IMAX and I think we got there like a half hour early, no lines, decent seats, screening ended up sold out or very close to it, but honestly, I don't remember lines at all.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Reaper G » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:36 am

The reason Lucas's fans are turning on him can be summed up in three words: "Han fired first." If your three words are "Jar Jar Binks," no argument.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:58 am

king_ghidorah wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:I don't remember lines for The Dark Knight...not really anyway.

TDK's lines were epic. I went and saw the movie a few times in the theaters, the first being at a midnight screening in Arizona. I had to get there almost 3 hours early to get a decent seat. I had just bought a PSP back then, so I literally watched an entire movie in my seat before TDK ever started. It was a good time though, lots of people dressed up as The Joker and Batman.

But even after that initial viewing, the screenings I went to were packed, and there were plenty of sold out showings.

Same here.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby mrbluehair » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Look, I take the prequels for what they are worth and can agree that I wished that George had just simply used the new technology to freshen up the theatrical versions to make them better without going back and saying, "Well now we can add this and this and that"

At some point I feel the original release(s) will be restored and issued but the same criticizm will be leveled as a money grab. "So now tha we've bought all the updated versions you give us the original, more money for George"

Fact is, and like it was expressed, they are his movies, and he can do with them what he pleases, which I believe he did in hopes that fans can see what he may have been really thinking at the time, and because of the limitation of SPFX, it may have ultimately served his story better using practical effects. The stories of how they made things back them was amazing, and I think the stripped down feel was exactly what the series needed.

I thank George Lucas, for giving me the experience of being a 5 year old going to see Star Wars after school with his mom, then again in a long line with his dad. Waiting hours with dad again to see ESB, and with mom once again for ROTJ. There are few memories I have from my childhood as engrained into my mind as those. None of those theaters exist anymore either, so it's all the more sentimental to me, and I pray that I have the same opportunity with my kids.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television