The Official MZ Doctor Who Thread!

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

The Official MZ Doctor Who Thread!

Postby StarhunterNebulaM » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:02 pm

I read in several forums that the new doctor Matt Smith will have his face put in the credits just like before and that the TARDIS will have a new "retro" interior. Also the Daleks will be making a return for his 1st adventure as the 11th Doctor.
StarhunterNebulaM
Little Godzilla

Postby GhostMachine » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:34 pm

I'm all for the Doctor's face being back in the credits and have never liked the TARDIS' interior in the current series, but using the Daleks again this soon is a BAAAAD idea. I hope the deal with Terry Nation's estate runs out soon afterward and the representatives ask for more money than the BBC are willing to pay. The Daleks have been over-used, and I was hoping they wouldn't pop up again for at least two more seasons (that is, actual seasons; the specials don't count).

I'm going to have to find some other way to watch the series, apparently; BBC America is showing the specials instead of Sci-Fi, and I don't get BBC America anymore. (Had to dump some channels last year, and it was part of the package that I had to let go)
http://kaijuville.myminicity.com/sec - Please click if you don't mind
GhostMachine
Godzilla Jr.

Postby TheMaster » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:45 pm

Good god let the daleks go for a season!!! They've been in every one!!!Good on the other stuff, but the new series is even more self referential than JNTs era, if thats possible.
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Moffat has written some of the best Doctor Who ever and I can't wait to see an entire series masterminded by him. He might even return the Daleks to the cool status they haven't quite had since Dalek in series 1.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 pm

I hope that we'll see more Doctor Who episodes on Sci-Fi 8-)
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:22 am

Is Doctor Who any good? I've requested from the library The Complete First Series, which supposedly stars the dude from GI Joe (Chris Eccelston or something like that), even though the pictures I've seen have some younger dude with black hair as the main character.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:31 pm

^Doctor Who is a Sci Fi TV franchise like Star Trek, but while Star Trek actually changes its cast The Doctor, being of an ancient alien race, has the ability to regenerate his body when near death. In other words: he grows a different body with a slightly different personality. It's a cheat, but the show has handled it well for the decades it's been on the air in the UK.

The first new series requires no knowlege of the series previous, in fact, they hold off explicitly mentioning events from the classic show for a while so as not to alienate new viewers.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:01 pm

lhb412 wrote:Moffat has written some of the best Doctor Who ever and I can't wait to see an entire series masterminded by him. He might even return the Daleks to the cool status they haven't quite had since Dalek in series 1.

Quoted for truth!

Though I completely agree with everything said here, I'd love to see the Daleks take at the very least, one season off. There are so many cool alien races in this mythos.

Just please God, no more of the fart aliens.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby GhostMachine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:21 am

Dr Kain wrote:Is Doctor Who any good? I've requested from the library The Complete First Series, which supposedly stars the dude from GI Joe (Chris Eccelston or something like that), even though the pictures I've seen have some younger dude with black hair as the main character.

Christopher Eccelston was only the Doctor for the first season. He "regenerated" into David Tennant, who is leaving at the end of the specials they're doing instead of a full season.
http://kaijuville.myminicity.com/sec - Please click if you don't mind
GhostMachine
Godzilla Jr.

Postby StarhunterNebulaM » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 pm

I agree. The Daleks should take a while off. There are so many other monsters and aliens to bring back. I would love to see the Wirren make a return, as well as the Yeti and the Nucleus of the Swarm. And maybe the Rani.
StarhunterNebulaM
Little Godzilla

Postby Enshohma » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:22 am

Just a helpful reminder, taken from my posts at Kaijuphile.com...

Doctor Who: The Next Doctor - Airing this Saturday on BBC America!

I'm happy to inform everyone that the first of David Tennant's final adventures as the tenth incarnation of the famous alien hero, will be airing this Saturday on BBC America (check your local times and listings).

Entitled The Next Doctor, the hour long special (which is being aired for this time at least, in it's entirety) is a fun period adventure set in Victorian England, where those soulless cyborg invaders known as the Cybermen seek to convert all of mankind early in history, with the help of the human villainess Miss Hartigan, and their giant robot weapon dubbed the Cyber King.

The Doctor is luckily on hand to stop the menace, but also is joined by a strange yet bold Victorian man (played David Morrissey) who claims that he is the Doctor as well! The Doctor now must stop the Cybermen, while at the same time try to figure out the true identity of this supposed 'Next Doctor'.

It's a overall enjoyable romp, and although it's been mocked constantly by fans and critics alike for the climax, only on Doctor Who can you see a giant Cyberman war-bot rampage across Victorian London, and like all good fantasy-related entertainment, unapologetically so.

Here's BBC America's official page for Doctor Who:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/123/index.jsp

And the spoiler filled Wikipedia article can be viewed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Next_Doctor

Guess All of the Above Monsters' Names and Respective Places of Origin and Win a Prize!
Enshohma
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:37 am

So I borrowed it from the library (came in), and I've watched the first four episodes so far, and I like it. It is different, and entertaining despite the episodes feeling like they are 2 hours long. The only downside is that it feels like they are talking about events that you were supposed to have seen, but never did, which makes the show get confusing at times. Anyway, I am hooked on it, and want it to come out to Blu-Ray.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Dr Kain wrote:The only downside is that it feels like they are talking about events that you were supposed to have seen, but never did, which makes the show get confusing at times.

Well, your mileage may differ, but Mrs X-Ray & I were very impressed with how well Season One* held up all the charm & fun of the original without excluding those who had never seen the old series.

*Hardly 1st Season, seeing as "Rose" is actually story #161! :lol:
"Names in the new order were Totem signs, no longer mere markers for a face.
Markers were for tombstones."
Foxtrot X-Ray
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:54 am

What do you mean by Story 161? We sell at work a few DVDs, but it is weird. One disc says Story 84, one says Story 92, another has Stories 112 113 114 on it, while there is one that is like 53, 72, 131, etc.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 am

Don't get confused by that. The new Doctor Who series that started in 2005 stands fairly well on its own. Yes, they are all part of the same universe of the show that started in 1963, but I'm pretty sure you can just enjoy the new series without knowledge of the old one (1963-1989). Hard for me to say since I've been watching since 1978. :)

In terms of marketing, the old series is released in no particular order. Some will never get released as they don't exist anymore. Some are released in special packs (like the E-Space Trilogy with 112,113,114), consecutive related episodes or those grouped by themes/monsters (like Beneath the Surface, with 52,62,131).

I think this is about right (do they count Shada? I guess they count Shada)

First Doctor (William Hartnell) - Stories 1-29 - 1963 to 1966
Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) - Stories 30-50 - 1966 to 1969
Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) - Stories 51-74 - 1970 to 1974
Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) - Stories 75-116 - 1974 to 1981
Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison) - Stories 117-136 - 1982 to 1984
Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) - Stories 137-147 - 1984 to 1986
Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) - Stories 148-159 - 1987 to 1989
(break of 7 years)
Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) - Story 160 (TV Movie) - 1996*
(break of 9 years)

Here begins the "new" series that you're watching. They do not use the Story #s on the DVD releases, and instead refer to them as Series One, Two, etc. (as opposed to the older ones, "Season One, Season Two, etc.)

Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) - Stories 161-173 "Series One" - 2005
Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) - Stories 174-220 "Series Two, Three, Four and Year of Specials)" - 2006 to present
Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) - "Series Five" starts next year **

Along with (or after) the new ones you're watching, I suggest these classics:

#1 The Unearthly Child
#6 The Aztecs
#37 Tomb of the Cybermen
#46 The Invasion
#62 The Sea Devils
#65 The Three Doctors
#70 The Time Warrior
#76 The Ark in Space
#82 Pyramids of Mars
#91 Talons of Weng-Chiang
#115 The Keeper of Traken
#116 Logopolis
#117 Castrolvalva
#122 Earthshock
#136 The Caves of Androzani
#139 Vengeance on Varos
#141 The Two Doctors
#152 Remembrance of the Daleks
#158 The Curse of Fenric

The ones in bold are one from each Doctor 1-7* that IMO only are the best of those Doctors available.

* Doctor 8's TV Movie may never be released in the US for rights issues.
** EDIT - Just found out that this year of specials is not considered "Series Five". Series Five starts with Matt Smith next year.
Last edited by Robert Saint John on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:16 am

Are Tom Baker and Colin Baker related?

What episodes feature the war that The Dr was talking about in the episode Dalek?

Also, is The Five Doctors movie worth buying?

I have to say though, I do not like the idea of Chris not being The Dr after this season, as I like his sarcasm. Why did he leave?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:06 am

Dr Kain wrote:Are Tom Baker and Colin Baker related?

No Relation

Dr Kain wrote:What episodes feature the war that The Dr was talking about in the episode Dalek?

The Time War is assumed to take place after the events of Doctor Who: the Movie.

Dr Kain wrote:Also, is The Five Doctors movie worth buying?

I bought it.
A quick Review: Too much stuffed into too little time, with too many last minute script changes due to Tom Baker being unable to contribute..

Does give a nice taste of Doctors 2, 3 & 5. (Substitute for Doctor #1 did a good job, but he didn't quite capture the Character, IMO)

As for Eccleston's reasons for leaving.. er.. actually, I don't know.
Ties for 1st place with Tennant & Tom Baker in my book.
"Names in the new order were Totem signs, no longer mere markers for a face.
Markers were for tombstones."
Foxtrot X-Ray
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Shonokin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:04 am

Amazingly close to my list of favorites Robert! Though I haven't seen The Aztecs.

I'd probably switch Ark in Space with Genesis of the Daleks in my list.

I liked The Five Doctors quite a lot but it may be nostalgia coloring my like of it more than the actual quality of the show itself. It was my first exposure to the pre-Tom Baker Doctors.

Also in the not-related category is new series director Alice Troughton to Patrick Troughton.

Eccleston left for fear of typecasting.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby Robert Saint John » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:34 am

I think it was more a case of Eccleston wouldn't commit to more than a year out of fear of typecasting and the schedule. I think they knew pretty early on he was only going to be there for one series, which was fine because a) he's one of the UK's best actors and would be a great draw to this "new" series, and b) writer/producer Russell T Davies wanted to introduce the concept of regeneration fairly early on.

I think those are right, but new info may have come out recently that sheds more light on the behind the scenes stuff. I really have to read RTD's book that I bought last year.

Dan's right: Genesis of the Daleks is a must for a number of reasons. Watch that sooner than later!

"The Five Doctors" is... okay. It depends a lot on nostalgia and was written as a gift to the fans at the time. I woudn't make it a priority but if you find yourself enjoying the classics, go for it. This is pretty true of all of the "____ Doctors" stories.

Except for the brilliant 5 minute long "Time Crash". :D

(it's on The Complete Fourth Series DVD)
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Well these are the discs we have at work:

The E-Space Trilogy
The Trial of a Time Lord
Beneath the Surface
The Brain of Morbius
The Invisible Enemy with K-9 ad Company: A Girl's Best Friend.

BTW, is each episode seriously close to 2 hours???

I do have to say, these friggin DVDs are majorly overpriced. $84 for the newer series that are only 13 episodes a piece, and $66 at employee cost. :eek:
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:09 pm

Each story is generally 4 or 6 episodes, @ 25min each. That's the way the show used to be broadcast.

I suppose they're pricier than other shows on a per minute basis. It's a smaller market, but they do load them with extras. In some ways, those 13-episode New Series DVDs are two shows because they include both "Doctor Who" and a cutdown version of the documentary behind the scenes companion "Doctor Who Confidential". But they're a better value IMO than the Classic DVDs, which I find to be overpriced for a 90 minute story.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Well I was at Barnes n Noble and picked up The Pyramid of Mars disc, so I hope it is good. I just could not resist the Egyptian imagery. I was looking for The Unearthly Child, so I could see the very first episode, but they could not even find it in their system.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:57 am

I love love love Pyramids of Mars. Easily in Tom Baker's Top 3 stories (with Genesis and Talons) and probably in many peoples Top 15 or 20 of all time. Let us know what you think.

I thought "An Unearthly Child" was available on its own, but perhaps it's only available as part of the 2-pack/3-disc set "Doctor Who - The Beginning Collection" with UC and "The Daleks"/"Edge of Destruction".

Speaking of Doctor Who, I wonder if that rumor about a DW motion picture being announced next week at SDCC will come true. Russell and Julie are moving to Hollywood, after all...
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:51 am

Pyramid of Mars was good, but I was hoping for a little bit more action. Tom Baker seems like a good actor, but I like Chris' one liners so much better, as he puts more of a sarcastic tone in his voice, where Tom pretty much just said the line without being all that humorous. Still, it was good.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:50 am

^Tom is usually very funny, but with the limited special effects back then they decided in that story for Tom to rein in his humor and act very serious in order to show just what a bit threat Suhtek is... since, you know, they can't show the guy blowing up cities (although the part where the Doctor establishes that if they didn't stop him now that the timeline would be changed so that the human race was destoryed in the early 1990s - is close).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television