Isaac Asimov's Foundation

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:31 pm

From THR.com: Shaye, Lynne on for 'Foundation'
Steven Zeitchik wrote:July 29, 2008, 12:15 AM ET
Producers on board for Isaac Asimov's sci-fi epic

Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne are looking to the future -- literally.

The New Line founders-turned-producers have signed on to produce their first project since they received their post-New Line deal at Warners, boarding an adaptation of Isaac Asimov's futuristic sci-fi epic "Foundation" that they'll produce through their Unique Features banner.

Warners recently picked up "Foundation," which had been in development at Fox. Vince Gerardis, who had been attached as a producer in the Fox incarnation, will remain on board as a producer for the Warners project with Shaye and Lynne.

"Foundation" is based on Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy," which centers on a society that has figured out how to predict the future based on a method called psychohistory and sets up a foundation devoted to scientific research to protect itself and ensure its survival.

The politically inflected work, which features such characters as the prophetic Hari Seldon and a villain called the Mule, spans hundreds of years, essentially tracking the rise and fall of civilizations. Each book contains a new set of characters, which has in the past prompted some development execs to say they consider it a difficult work to adapt for the screen.

Shaye and Lynne's goal is to adapt the first book for now, and, if it's successful, potentially follow the New Line "Lord of the Rings" template by developing adaptations down the road of the second and third books.

Calling the trilogy "one of the things I've had close to my heart" since he read the books as a young man, Shaye said the project had as its goal locating and creating an audience for the Asimov classic. "Our idea to renew the worldwide audience's appetite for the story," he said.

Shaye noted that the books' political themes, particularly its focus on the rise and fall of empires, give the movie a geopolitical relevance. But he also said their complexity would cause the company to move forward carefully. "This is not a script you can knock out in six months," he said.

Science fiction is a genre in which the duo and New Line had dabbled, most notably in recent years with "The Last Mimzy," the sci-fi family tale that Shaye directed.

Shaye and Lynne exited the Warner fold this year as part of Time Warner's absorption of New Line. This month, the pair announced the formation of Unique, a production company with a three-year, first-look deal at Warners. The goal is to produce two or three movies per year, with Warners handling marketing and distribution.

Hollywood has found Asimov a difficult writer to adapt to film because his books tend to incorporate philosophical themes as much as action elements. Still, the loose adaptation of his "I, Robot" collection of stories turned into a $340 million global hit for Fox in 2004.

Fox, which adapted the whole trilogy as one standalone script (perhaps in a bid to counteract development obstacles), had attached several individuals who had worked on an earlier Asimov adaptation. In addition to Gerardis, who produced "I, Robot," Jeff Vintar, who penned the screenplay to that film, was attached to pen the "Foundation" screenplay. Vintar has said in interviews that he was focusing on the latter parts of the trilogy, which span a more limited period of time, to make the Fox project more manageable.

Shaye said that the ambition of the "Foundation" project makes it the right movie to kick off the Unique slate. "This epitomizes the movies we want to make, not the movies that ought to be made to fill a slate or movies that repeat an old formula," he said.

From Variety: Roland Emmerich finds 'Foundation'
MICHAEL FLEMING wrote:Columbia won an auction late Thursday for screen rights to "Foundation," Isaac Asimov's ground breaking science fiction trilogy. The film will be developed as a directing vehicle for Roland Emmerich.

Emmerich and his Centropolis partner Michael Wimer will produce the film. The deal was mid six-figures against low seven figures.

Originally published as a series of eight short stories in Astounding Magazine beginning in 1942, "Foundation" is a complex saga about humans who are scattered on planets throughout the galaxy, living under the rule of the Galactic Empire.

A psycho-historian who can scientifically read the future sees an imminent empire collapse, and sets to work preparing to save the knowledge of mankind.

The emergence of Sony and Emmerich at the controls of "Foundation" is a surprise development, and one that owes at least a bit to the animosity between Warner Bros. and Fox over "Watchmen."

The property, originally developed by Fox and producer Vince Gerardis, found its way to New Line, and then to Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne as the first major project announcement after the former heads of New Line formed Unique Pictures at WB.

Gerardis, whose Created By formerly repped the Asimov estate and who is producing an adaptation of Asimov's "The End of Eternity" at New Regency, was attached as producer. And Fox would have had to be compensated for its development costs. That became a problem for WB, and the studio allowed its option to lapse, expecting to quietly make a new deal with a clear chain of rights that would have left Fox and Gerardis on the outside.

It turned into a spirited auction. WB bid for Unique and director Alex Proyas, Fox bid for Gerardis. Emmerich and Sony were the surprise entrants. Turns out that Wimer had been tracking the availability of the rights since he was Emmerich's agent at CAA, and Columbia Pictures president Matt Tolmach pounced. Emmerich and Wimer just completed "2012" at Sony.

CAA and Trident Media's Dan Strone brokered the deal on behalf of the Asimov estate.

From /film: Columbia Wins Rights for Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy, with Roland Emmerich Directing
David Chen wrote:What to say about Roland Emmerich? I still remember back when the mosntrously successful ID4 came out in the summer of 1996. There was so much excitement around the blockbuster film that managed to combine massive city destruction with Will Smith kicking alien ass. But we also wanted to know what else Roland Emmerich had in store for us in the future. How would his directorial skill mature as time went on? How would his storytelling craft become more refined throughout the years? Clearly, Emmerich’s filmography has answered all of those questions. In short, his handling of science fiction has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the nose.

A better question: Aside from Wall-E (and I might argue, Sunshine and The Foutain), what was the last truly great science fiction film? Even Asimov’s own I, Robot and The Positronic Man (which eventually became Bicentennial Man) didn’t survive the adaptation from book to screen particularly well. We’ve yet to see Emmerich’s upcoming 2012 but I’d be willing to wager it won’t prove he’s ready to take on the themes and subtlety of Asimov’s work. But who knows: Maybe after all this time, Emmerich, as a filmmaker is finally ready to grow up.
Last edited by mr.negativity on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

no

Postby Xenorama » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:29 pm

this would be difficult to film properly, and with that idiot on board, it's just gonna turn into some empty actioner. bu hao!

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Robert Saint John » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:55 am

WHAT?!??!! NNNNOOOOOOoooooooo

This is horrible. The Foundation series are my favorite novels of all time. I've only recently recovered from the travesty that was "The 2nd Foundation Trilogy" by the so-called Killer B's.

I knew this was in development, but I wasn't that concerned when it was going to be Gerardis producing and Shekhar Kapur or Alex Proyas directing. There's no way a film could be done today with the same narrative of the books, but it would have been possible to tell the story in a different yet still satisfactory fashion. Now this. That HACK. Oh the frakin' humanity. This whole week has sucked.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:34 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 am

I am unfamiliar with any of Asimov's original stories, so I look forward to any movies that adapt his works. They might not be masterpieces, but I enjoy seeing things that he envisioned.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:24 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:22 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Hot Scribe Dante Harper Takes On Isaac Asimov’s ‘Foundation’ For Sony And Roland Emmerich
MIKE FLEMING wrote:Sony Pictures has hired Dante Harper to adapt Foundation, the groundbreaking Isaac Asimov science fiction trilogy which Roland Emmerich is developing to direct. Emmerich has been attached since the studio acquired the property in early 2009 when he and former Centropolis partner Michael Wimer won a multi-studio auction as the rights became available. Originally published as a short story series in Astounding Magazine in 1942, Asimov’s Foundation is the complex saga of humans scattered on planets throughout the galaxy, all living under the rule of the Galactic Empire. The protagonist is a psycho-historian who has an ability to read the future and sees that the empire will collapse imminently. He sets out to save the knowledge of mankind from being wiped out. Robert Rodat was first writer on the project.

Harper broke onto the scene with a Timothy McVeigh biopic called Dreamland that Plan B is producing. He wrote Black Hole for David Fincher at Paramount and did the production rewrite worl in Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, which stars Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton. Harper’s big sale came when his script All You Need is Kill was acquired by Warner Bros. The film is on a fast track, with Doug Liman directing. The studio is out to cast and the film is a priority. Harper is repped by CAA and Management 360.

This becomes the second major development on a work by the late Asimov. 20th Century Fox, which previously adapted Asimov’s I, Robot into the Will Smith hit, just hired director Henry Hobson, screenwriter John Scott 3 and producer Simon Kinberg to team on The Caves Of Steel, a futuristic murder mystery.

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
20th Century Fox Sets Isaac Asimov’s ‘The Caves Of Steel,’ Henry Hobson To Direct
[quote="MIKE FLEMING"]
20th Century Fox, which tapped into Isaac Asimov’s futuristic robot science fiction for I, Robot, is now working on a live-action adaptation of Asimov’s The Caves of Steel. The studio has set Henry Hobson to direct and John Scott 3 to adapt the murder mystery that was first published as a book in 1954. The director and writer are currently in pre-production on Maggie, a spec script that tracks the six-week metamorphosis of a 16-year-old girl into a zombie after she becomes infected and continues to live with her family. Trained at the Royal College of Art in London as a graphic designer, Hobson specializes in creating inventive title sequences for films that included Sherlock Holmes for Prologue Films. The scribe seems well suited to adapt Asimov’s visionary prose. When not writing scripts, Scott builds command systems for NASA’s flagship X-ray satellite. He works with the Chandra X-Ray Observatory, which takes photos of X-ray photons in deep space.

The Caves of Steel will be produced by Simon Kinberg, the X-Men scribe whose Genre Films banner is based at the studio and who is right now producing the Neill Blomkamp-directed Elysium, which stars Matt Damon, Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley. Similar to I, Robot (which Fox turned into a hit film with Will Smith), The Caves of Steel is a murder mystery that takes place 1,000 years in the future, on an overpopulated Earth where there is a phobia about robots. The title refers to giant city complexes that are necessary because Earth is so overpopulated. While robots are used for labor in outlying “spacer worldsâ€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 am

Roland Emmerich Talks INDEPENDENCE DAY Sequels, SINGULARITY, Isaac Asimov’s FOUNDATION Adaptation and Other Upcoming Projects
Dave Trumbore wrote:In a recent interview with Empire, Emmerich talked at length about his future projects.

And the big screen might not be enough to hold all of Emmerich’s explosions as a TV adaptation of Asimov’s Foundation series is in the works:

“We’re trying to do it as a big mini-series, but even there you would have to change the story itself and set it in a time when the galaxy has fallen apart – and then you’re pretty much making a TV show with all these characters and playing all the scenes out. You can [do that] and we’ll see what happens. We tried so hard [to make it into a movie], honestly, because it’s one of my most favourite books. I just love it.”
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:30 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:48 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Deadline April 10, 2018:
Apple Lands Isaac Asimov ‘Foundation’ TV Series From David Goyer & Josh Friedman
Mike Fleming Jr & Nellie Andreeva wrote:EXCLUSIVE: In a competitive situation, Apple has nabbed a TV series adaptation of Foundation, the seminal Isaac Asimov science fiction novel trilogy. The project, from Skydance Television, has been put in development for straight-to-series consideration. Deadline revealed last June that Skydance had made a deal with the Asimov estate and that David S. Goyer and Josh Friedman were cracking the code on a sprawling series based on the books that informed Star Wars and many other sci-fi films and TV series. Goyer and Friedman will be executive producers and showrunners. Skydance’s David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross also will executive produce.

Originally published as a short story series in Astounding Magazine in 1942, Asimov’s Foundation is the complex saga of humans scattered on planets throughout the galaxy, all living under the rule of the Galactic Empire. The protagonist is a psycho-historian who has an ability to read the future and foresees the empire’s imminent collapse. He sets out to save the knowledge of mankind from being wiped out. Even the Game of Thrones‘ creative team would marvel at the number of empires that rise and fall in Foundation. Asimov’s trilogy has been tried numerous times as a feature film at Fox, Warner Bros (with Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, who greenlit The Lord of the Rings), and then at Sony with Independence Day director Roland Emmerich. Many top sci-fi writers have done scripts and found it daunting to constrict the sprawling saga to a feature film format. Most recently, HBO tried developing a series with Interstellar co-writer and Westworld exec producer Jonathan Nolan, but a script was never ordered.

Goyer’s credits include co-writing the upcoming Terminator reboot now in preproduction as well as the The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Ghost Rider and the Blade franchises, while Friedman’s include Avatar 2, the War of the Worlds remake and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

The project shows a different level of ambition for Apple’s worldwide video programming team led by Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg. In November, they set their first scripted series, a morning show drama executive produced by and starring Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon, with a two-season, straight-to-series order. Apple also has given straight-to-series orders to Amazing Stories, a re-imagining of the anthology from Steven Spielberg, a Ronald D. Moore space drama, a Damien Chazelle series, a comedy starring Kristin Wiig, world-building drama See from Steven Knight and Francis Lawrence, as well as an M. Night Shyamalan psychological thriller.

Skydance Television adds Foundation to a series slate that includes Altered Carbon, Grace and Frankie, Condor and the upcoming Jack Ryan and Dietland. This becomes the second reinvention of classic sci-fi for Skydance’s Ellison, who is resurrecting The Terminator with James Cameron and Deadpool director Tim Miller.

Goyer is repped by WME and John LaViolette, Friedman by UTA and Karl Austen.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:04 am

Oh no, Apple are getting into the TV business? I guess that means this show will have half the number of episodes for twice the price.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:45 am

ughhh. It annoyed me when the new Star Trek was announced as going to the CBS streaming service.. I guess at this point I should cancel my cable and just get used to paying for ad hoc services for brief periods when the shows i am interested have new seasons.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 pm

I guess that I have to wait until Isaac Asimov's Foundation goes on DVD before I could watch it. :oops:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:32 pm

THR, APRIL 18, 2019:
'Foundation' Co-Showrunner Josh Friedman Departs Apple Drama (Exclusive)
Lesley Goldberg wrote:There's a change at the top of Apple's Foundation.

Co-writer and co-showrunner Josh Friedman has departed the series based on Isaac Asimov's book of the same name.

Sources say Friedman's decision to exit the big-budget space drama was amicable. He and co-writer/co-showrunner David S. Goyer (Syfy's Krypton, Batman Begins) had always planned for one of the two to remain the boots-on-the-ground showrunner on the series from Skydance Television. Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) will now focus on his work in features, which includes the upcoming sequel to James Cameron's Avatar. He will remain involved as an executive producer. Goyer will now become the lone showrunner while also contributing scripts and overseeing the writers room.

Apple and Skydance TV declined comment.

Foundation tells the complex saga of humans scattered on planets throughout the galaxy, all living under the rule of the Galactic Empire. The drama landed at Apple in a competitive situation after Skydance partnered with the Asimov estate for rights to the book, which was among the influences for Star Wars and other sci-fi works. Asimov's Foundation trilogy has been developed multiple times for feature films and television, with HBO attempting to bring it to television with Roland Emmerich and Westworld co-showrunner Jonathan Nolan. Goyer and Friedman were attached as co-writers and co-showrunners when Apple committed to developing a script in April 2018. Four months later, it was picked up to series. The project was not among the scripted originals that were touted during Apple's presentation to Hollywood in March.

Foundation is the latest series exit for Friedman, a well-respected sci-fi writer whose credits include Fox's Locke & Key and NBC's Crossbones and Emerald City, as well as the features The Black Dahlia and 2005's War of the Worlds. Friedman revealed he was pushed out of TNT's Snowpiercer reboot as the cabler was looking for a showrunner who would be more "compliant." The drama — which remains without a premiere date after it was picked up to series in January 2018 — has since seen director Scott Derrickson (Doctor Strange) quit and refuse to do reshoots amid a "radically different vision" from new showrunner Graeme Manson (Orphan Black).

For Apple, meanwhile, Foundation becomes the latest of its scripted originals to experience a showrunner shuffling. The highly anticipated Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon comedy-drama The Morning Show replaced showrunners early on, while Bryan Fuller and Hart Hanson exited the anthology Amazing Stories.

Foundation — like the rest of Apple's scripted originals — does not yet have a premiere date. Apple will launch its TV offerings "in the fall," the tech giant said.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:34 pm

THR, OCTOBER 22, 2019:
Jared Harris, Lee Pace to Star in Apple's 'Foundation'
Lesley Goldberg wrote:Apple continues to impressively cast its big-budget TV originals.

The tech company has tapped Chernobyl Emmy nominee Jared Harris and Halt and Catch Fire grad Lee Pace to lead the cast of space drama Foundation.

Based on Isaac Asimov's novel series of the same name, Foundation chronicles the epic saga of The Foundation, a band of exiles who discover that the only way to save the Galactic Empire from destruction is to defy it.

Harris will star as Hari Seldon, a mathematical genius who predicts the demise of the empire. Pace is set as Brother Day, the current Emperor of the Galaxy.

David S. Goyer serves as the lone showrunner on the series after Josh Friedman departed in April. Goyer exec produces alongside Skydance TV's David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross. Friedman will also be credited as an EP alongside the author's daughter, Robyn Asimov.

Harris (Mad Men, The Terror) is repped by ICM, Independent Talent Group and Gateway Management. Pace (Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls) is with WME and Peikoff Mahan.

Apple's scripted originals will debut Nov. 1 when its TV+ service launches. At a cost of $5 a month, subscribers will have access to four originals to start: The Morning Show, See, Dickinson and fellow space drama For All Mankind. Other originals will debut regularly as Apple continues to spend billions on building up its library-free roster.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:31 am

Isaac Asimov's Foundation sounds like a great product idea for a cosmetics line based off science fiction authors.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:52 pm

Well, I thought it was a good joke.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:20 am

lhb412 wrote:Isaac Asimov's Foundation sounds like a great product idea for a cosmetics line based off science fiction authors.

Isaac Asimov's Foundation 101:
A Beginner’s Guide to Face Makeup
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television