Wolf Man (2010)...

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:I thought it was an Oscar win that was well deserved. As was Bale's and Baker's...everything else last night was painful to watch really...

I didn't watch it, but I'm glad Natalie Portman won Best Actress for Black Swan.

Portman (along with Melissa Leo for the Fighter) definitely deserved their awards.

Also good to see Inception win for SPFX, especially considering it was the only movie on the ballot that didn't overly rely on CGI
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:57 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:I thought it was an Oscar win that was well deserved. As was Bale's and Baker's...everything else last night was painful to watch really...

I didn't watch it, but I'm glad Natalie Portman won Best Actress for Black Swan.

Portman (along with Melissa Leo for the Fighter) definitely deserved their awards.

Also good to see Inception win for SPFX, especially considering it was the only movie on the ballot that didn't overly rely on CGI

Good pts. Mouth...I forgot to mention those two. Very much deserved.

Now the wins for Alice in Wonderland had me screaming bloody murder but that's another story..
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:i would think that breaking up your uber-popular band and becoming a movie composer would kind of be the opposite of selling-out...

Evolving is one thing, but did any of you actually listen to anything to come out after The Fragile? They were dreadful. With Teeth and The Slip are by far the worst pieces of trash ever to come out of that man. Ghosts was good even though the really good tracks are only like a minute long. The Fragile is by far the best NIN CD ever, and NIN used to be my favorite band until recently, which has now been replaced with Angelspit and Rammstein.

As for the score category, Inception got gyped. The music was another character of the movie, which is by far better than anything Social Network had to offer. Then again, Nolan did not even get a director nomination where David Finch did. :roll: As you can see though, I have no love for Social Network. It is a movie about an ahole that is based off a garbage website.

On other notes, I am disappointed the girl from True Grit did not win best supporting actress. She did such a phenomenal role that she truly deserved it. As for supporting actor, I am so glad to see Bale win it, but after seeing The King's Speech, Geoffrey Rush really deserved it. He did such a great job in that role.

At least Alice in Wonderland won the stuff it truly deserved.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:i would think that breaking up your uber-popular band and becoming a movie composer would kind of be the opposite of selling-out...

Evolving is one thing, but did any of you actually listen to anything to come out after The Fragile? They were dreadful. With Teeth and The Slip are by far the worst pieces of trash ever to come out of that man. Ghosts was good even though the really good tracks are only like a minute long. The Fragile is by far the best NIN CD ever, and NIN used to be my favorite band until recently, which has now been replaced with Angelspit and Rammstein.

As for the score category, Inception got gyped. The music was another character of the movie, which is by far better than anything Social Network had to offer. Then again, Nolan did not even get a director nomination where David Finch did. :roll: As you can see though, I have no love for Social Network. It is a movie about an ahole that is based off a garbage website.

On other notes, I am disappointed the girl from True Grit did not win best supporting actress. She did such a phenomenal role that she truly deserved it. As for supporting actor, I am so glad to see Bale win it, but after seeing The King's Speech, Geoffrey Rush really deserved it. He did such a great job in that role.

At least Alice in Wonderland won the stuff it truly deserved.

You never cease to amaze me.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kidnicky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 am

I don't think I've ever agreed with anything Kain has ever said,but I do think NIN has sucked for years. I remember back when I was going to clubs like every week,when NIN was kind of on hiatus for awhile everyone moved in more of a dance direction,and suddenly industrial was electro/EBM stuff. Well,Nails came back but frankly by that point I liked APB and VNV Nation a million times more than I ever liked NIN. Maybe it was my fault for not being an angsty teen anymore,maybe it was the scene's fault for being fickle,maybe it was Reznor's fault for watering down material that would make a decent ep with enough filler to make a two-disc. The point is by that point we cared a lot more about Cruxshadows than NIN. Maybe that was just the people I hung out with,though.

These days I still sometimes listen to Apoptygma or VNV,or even Switchblade Symphony,and I still love every new DM release,but I don't even own any NIN stuff anymore,not even MP3's on my hard drive. Same thing with Marilyn Manson.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:01 am

So because you didn't like a few albums or are butt hurt that Hans Zimmer got "robbed," (just wanna add, I would have liked Zimmer to win also, but I can't say Reznor's score didn't deserve it) that suddenly makes Social Network and its score suck?

Now we're talking about what NIN albums we like and which ones we don't (for my money, everything after With Teeth is what I do not like), which is about as far from the original debate as possible (and even further from the real topic, which is the Wolf Man). And considering that The Social Network isn't an NIN piece, NIN really has nothing to do with well... anything.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:13 pm

the social network was good.

had it won the awards that the king's speech won i would find myself saying that the academy doesn't have its head up its arse for once.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 pm

I don't know how the King's Speech winning means the Academy has its head up its arse.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:29 pm

I could have sworn this topic was about the wolfman and not oscars? :dunno:
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:30 pm

I couldn't believe it when The Golden Compass won Best Visual Effects a few years ago over Transformers and the third Pirates of the Caribbean film.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:16 pm

MouthForWar wrote:So because you didn't like a few albums or are butt hurt that Hans Zimmer got "robbed," (just wanna add, I would have liked Zimmer to win also, but I can't say Reznor's score didn't deserve it) that suddenly makes Social Network and its score suck?

No it doesn't. My comment was about NIN since someone had mentioned Reznor and it's not like the thread isn't derailed already.

I can't envision any possible scenario where I would watch The Social Network,I don't even use Facebook,and obviously I doubt I'll ever hear the soundtrack album (see above rant) so I have no opinion of the score.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:41 am

kidnicky wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:So because you didn't like a few albums or are butt hurt that Hans Zimmer got "robbed," (just wanna add, I would have liked Zimmer to win also, but I can't say Reznor's score didn't deserve it) that suddenly makes Social Network and its score suck?

No it doesn't. My comment was about NIN since someone had mentioned Reznor and it's not like the thread isn't derailed already.

I can't envision any possible scenario where I would watch The Social Network,I don't even use Facebook,and obviously I doubt I'll ever hear the soundtrack album (see above rant) so I have no opinion of the score.

That's cool, nicky. My comments were more or less aimed at Kain.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:33 pm

The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:38 am

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:It's getting a sequel

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23755

Home video reboot? Ugh. Universal sucks now.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:07 pm

I think the problem I have with the score to The Social Network is that it just sounds like recycled NIN songs, but without the "umph" that made them good. I mean there is a song on there (track 11) that even sounds like it is The Great Below from The Fragile. I understand they are his songs and all, but the man seems to have forgotten how to come up with new original material.

I am in the same boat with kidnicky, I have no interest in it because I no interest in Facebook, and as I previously stated, I think the guy is a douche.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Dr Kain wrote:I think the guy is a douche.

All the better reason for you to watch the film. That's kinda the point of the movie to begin with. Also, I'm not sure its entirely fair to base your opinion of a score on hearing it without seeing how it fits with the film.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Zuckerberg comes off as more of an anti-social nerd in the film than a douche...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Zuckerberg comes off as more of an anti-social nerd in the film than a douche...

Still, the film makers even admitted to the fact that they weren't portraying him in a positive light. Writer Aaron Sorkin has even gone as far as to say he made a point to show Zuckerberg as a greedy misogynist. Zuckerberg is definitely the "villain" of the movie.

Regardless, how you might feel about Facebook really isn't relevant. I don't give two sh*ts about Wall Street, but the movie Wall Street is fantastic. In fact, the Social Network is kind of this generations Wall Street (more so than the awful Wall Street sequel). Both films speak volumes about the corruption and flaws of their respective generations. It isn't a movie ABOUT Facebook. Its about the way the creator alienated anyone that ever cared about him to become a billionaire. Furthermore, it has the subtext of how online life has replaced real life. The irony of the movie is that Zuckerberg stabbed his friends in the back to create a website that is based around having friends.
MouthForWar
Controller

Universal's Classic Monsters: The Wolfman

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:15 pm

MOVIEHOLE EXCLUSIVE : Wolfman rebooted!
[quote=""Caffeinated" Clint"]
Universal were considering doing a sequel to the recent – god awful – â€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:34 am

i don't know if "god-awful" is a word/phrase I'd use to describe the movie...

disappointing might be better considering the first two acts were totally decent.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:40 am

jellydonut25 wrote:i don't know if "god-awful" is a word/phrase I'd use to describe the movie...

disappointing might be better considering the first two acts were totally decent.

I also thought the first 2 acts were alright. Not great, but not awful. Its when the Hopkins twist comes into play that the movie commits suicide.

Anyway, I'm in for a reboot as long as we get a good movie this time.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Destroysall » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:55 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:i don't know if "god-awful" is a word/phrase I'd use to describe the movie...

I also thought the first 2 acts were alright. Not great, but not awful. Its when the Hopkins twist comes into play that the movie commits suicide.

Anyway, I'm in for a reboot as long as we get a good movie this time.

Agreed.
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Universal's Classic Monsters: The Werewolf

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Universal's Classic Monsters: The Werewolf
Universal Wants A New Wolfman - Louis Morneau will direct The Werewolf

Owen Williams wrote:It should have been a classic: beautifully shot, with Oscar-winning prosthetic FX make-up by Rick Baker, and Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins in roles originally played by Lon Chaney Jr and Claude Raines. Sadly though, the well-documented production problems thoroughly did for The Wolfman, which is why Universal seem to be drawing a line under the whole sorry affair and starting again. The Werewolf has just picked up a director in Louis Morneau.

The project did begin life as a straight-up Wolfman sequel, but Michael Tabb's script is now being reworked into a stand-alone movie. It took Universal a couple of attempts to nail a werewolf movie the first time around too: The Wolf Man was one of the later horror icons added to its pantheon in 1941, and itself ignored 1936's Werewolf of London (not to be confused with An American Werewolf in London, which has its own remake percolating).

The fact that this is coming together under Universal's Family and Home Entertainment division should probably provide a clue as to the nature of the latest project though, as might the director himself: a Roger Corman veteran whose previous works include Bats, The Hitcher 2, and Roadkill 2.

Yup, it looks like we're in the scary world of DTV, and that assumption is borne out by the speed at which the production's moving. Casting is getting underway imminently, with shooting pencilled in for the autumn.

The Wolfman follow-up we really want to see is the further adventures of Hugo Weaving's Inspector Aberline. Somebody get on that please.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Barnzilla » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:09 pm

I no longer have faith in Universal to return their monsters to their former glory. The Mummy franchise sucked (with possible exception to the third film) and they've ruined a brilliant opportunity with del Toro and Hopkins. How could they get it so wrong? As far as I'm concerned, "Werewolf" is a colossal waste of time and money. Whoever it is running things at the studio now needs their head checked or better yet locked out. They have no idea how to handle their own icons (Baker's involvement being the exception).
Barnzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:15 am

I think you mean the first Mummy, since that was the only good one.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television